Cancel All Our Vows Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And to the rest of us." growled Sheriff Griswold.

I said "With Bettina, it's all about the agenda. My personal suspicion is that reporting on it brings everyone closer to the truth of Lawrence Watson's name coming out in a negative way. Maybe the School has asked her to suppress the story. Either way, Bettina thinks that killing the story is more important than using it to attack the Police."

Chief Moynahan said "(NCPD) Chief Evans told me over the weekend that she appreciated us sending someone to interview her Officer, and he's willing to let the process go forward. She also has put her Officer on Desk Duty so that he doesn't have another incident with our guyzzz,"

"That sucks for him." Teresa said. "He did all the right things, and gets put on Desk Duty."

"From what I was tolllld," drawled the Chief, "the kid is something of a punk, and he wasn't all that upset about being put on desk doo-teeee."

"Almost having a dirty cop pull a gun on you will do that to a rookie." I replied.

"Let's let the I.A. report come back, Mister Crowbarrrrr." admonished the Chief.

"Yes sir." I said, and shut my potty mouth by sipping some coffee.

With a wicked twinkle in her eye, Tanya Muscone said "I am shocked... shocked... that Bettina did not have Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling giving us the massaged, distorted numbers we have the right to know." We all chuckled at that.

Sheriff Griswold growled "The poll numbers... the -real- poll numbers... are not what Bettina and KXTC want to hear. And Frazier will only do so much; he's not going to humiliate himself by putting out numbers that will blow up in his face the next day."

I said "But Bettina made damn sure to give KXTC's endorsements, to tell us what to think and who to vote for."

"And they endorsed the most Leftwing candidates in every race." Teresa said. "Do they really think their endorsements matter?" she asked, her voice dripping with skepticism.

"No." barked the Sheriff. "Anyone who follows them at all will probably vote for their candidates anyway, endorsements or not."

I added: "And there are way too many sources of information out there now, and people don't neeeeeed Bettina to tell them what to think and how to vote."

Paulina said "Before I forget to tell you... Michael McGill is unopposed for the Republican nomination for Solicitor, so his Campaign is not having a big party. But he -is- going to have a reception at the Veasley Center tomorrow night to watch the results, and all of you are invited. Yes, I know the Sheriff is having a party at the Civic Center, but feel free to stop by if you like."

The Veasley Center was across the street (Riverside Drive) from City Hall and the Civic Center, so 'stopping by' was feasible. But the room became strangely quiet after she said that. Teresa went for the coffeepot and refilled most of our mugs with the Elixir of Life. Cindy's eyes cut over to me in a manner reminiscent of the way Carole's eyes would at times... must be an inherited Michaux trait, I thought to myself. Tanya and Chief Moynahan also exchanged a glance.

The Sheriff broke the awkwardness when he said "You guys should come on over to my party. I'll be glad to have him... and you... on stage with me. It'll give his candidacy a boost."

Paulina said "I'll call Michael and see if he'd like to do that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Promotions and Medals Day went smoothly and quickly. The only point of interest to me was when Tanya pinned Joanne Warner's Achievement Medal on her uniform. Joanne looked 'stoic', at best. I suspected that she feared being forced out of the Detectives Corps and into the Captain of Physical Properties job.

Afterwards, Cindy and I went to my office. As I poured coffee into her mug, she said "I think you understood my look in the coffee klatch."

"Yeah." I said as I poured coffee into my Airborne School coffee mug. "But I think the others missed it---"

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

That sound was followed by Tanya driving into my office. Teresa followed her in, and poured coffee for herself and for Tanya. Once we were settled in our chairs, the held-back questions began. Teresa started us off:

"Why in the world is Michael McGill having his own reception tomorrow night?" queried the Iron Wolf. "Why isn't he going to be at the Sheriff's party? Or Miriam Walters's rally?"

I said "Well, Miriam could lose, so I can see him not going to her event. And if Paulina is with him, that's cover for her not being at Miriam's rally. But yeah... if I were a candidate for anything, I'd crawl through broken glass to be seen with Sheriff Griswold. If they don't take up his offer this morning to be on stage with him, then he's setting himself up to lose."

Tanya said "That's almost disrespectful, if Paulina isn't at Miriam's event. And the Press will crucify her for not being there, like they attacked you for not attending the Sheriff's debate. Or..." Her voice trailed off.

"Orrrrrr...?" I queried.

Tanya said "It just struck me that maybe Paulina expects Miriam to lose?"

Cindy said "It's a possibility. The Sheriff told me it could be close." Then she said "But I noticed something else in the klatch, and I think Don understood when I glanced at him. Did y'all notice that Paulina spoke not as if it was -his- campaign but -their- campaign?"

"Now that you mention it... yes." said Teresa. "Don, I know Paulina and Michael have been dating, but is there something more... that we have a right to know?"

I smiled wanly at the joke, then said "I don't think there is anything y'all don't already know about that. Paulina and Michael are dating, and it's reaching a pretty serious stage. So yes, Paulina will be making appearances with Michael during the campaign."

"What about Tasha?" Teresa asked.

"I expressed disapproval at Tasha being exposed to the Public via appearances and especially television ads." I said. "I shocked the hell out of Michael when I told him there had been an attempt on Tasha's life, and five on Carole's. But ultimately, it's Paulina's call."

Teresa said "I was thinking more about how Paulina's relationship with Michael is affecting her and especially Tasha's relationship with you and the Troy family."

I nodded, then said "Tasha still stays with us at The Cabin on the weekends, even though Paulina hasn't for months. I expect that to continue, especially Tasha having time with her brothers and sisters." When I paused, saying no more, Cindy intervened.

"May I?" said the Green Crowbar as she reached for her shirt pocket and activated her anti-bugging device. I nodded and she said to the others: "As you know, my sister Molly lives at The Cabin full-time, and my wife Callie is Don's wife Laura's right-hand woman in starting up the State Medical College."

Cindy: "So Paulina was staying at The Cabin with Don and Laura on the weekends. But what most people don't realize is that the actual love affair there was not between Don and Paulina, but Laura and Paulina."

My other two Angels glanced over at me, and I just nodded. Cindy went on: "So Paulina has essentially left Laura for Michael. And while Laura is keeping busy... and that's a huge understatement... building the State Medical College, Callie thinks it has added to Laura's stress levels."

"Don, is your marriage in trouble?" Tanya asked, a most non-perky look of shock on her face.

"I don't think so." I said. "Laura and I have always been very open with each other about our extramarital relationships, and I know she and Paulina have... or have had... a closeness that either of us, me or Laura, have rarely had, except with each other. But Laura has not said anything to me about it since Paulina began dating Michael---"

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door opened to reveal the Chief of Police. "May I have the pleazzzurrrre of your presences in my Conference Roooom?" Chief Moynahan drawled. We moved out smartly to comply with those instructions...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday, May 3rd. The turnout at the polls was far heavier than Bettina and her experts had predicted, about 35-40% of eligible voters, and distributed throughout the County.

"No reports of any problems." Teresa reported to me at 5:00pm. "The lines have been fairly long all day, but nothing really bad. No reports of voting machine problems or other issues at any polling location. The Sheriff's Department will transport the ballots to Election Central with a well-armed Police escort after the polls close at 7:00pm."

"Okay, good." I said. "What are you and Todd doing tonight, if anything?"

Teresa said "We're going to the Sheriff's party at the Convention Center. Cindy said he's expecting his race to be called early, so he'll probably make his speech around 8:30. The Mayor's party is also at the Civic Center, and it might not be called until much later in the evening, so we may go over there. What about you?"

I said "Laura and I will be at the Sheriff's party, of course. And if it's called early, I'm considering going to Edna Carter's rally, especially if the race is tight. I'll call to make sure she's good with me being there."

Teresa said "The Council is not meeting tonight due to the election. Would you and Laura like to join me and Todd for dinner before we go to the Sheriff's rally?"

I said "Thanks, but I've made reservations for me and Laura at the Chop House. She's been so busy that she needs a break and a good dinner. And we could use a (air quotes) 'just the two of us' dinner."

Teresa said "You can tell me it's none of my beeswax, but is Laura still angry about what Carole said and did in my hometown? Or is it something more, maybe overall stress from the job she's taken on trying to create the State Medical College?"

I paused for a long moment, then said "It's about Carole. It's not specifically what happened in your hometown; that's just one drop in the bucket that's about to overflow. And maybe the stress of the new job is starting to wear on Laura, but I think we'd be at this point anyway, no matter what. So maybe I can get Laura to relax tonight, enjoy dinner and the Sheriff's party, and then we can talk about things."

"I hope things go well for you." Teresa said, then added: "To be honest, Don, candidly honest, I don't know how you do it. I've seen you being put under the worst pressure our enemies could muster against you, and you never break. What's your secret?"

I grinned and said "When things get to be too much, I go out on the back deck of The Cabin, pour a dram of heavily peated single-malt Scotch, and pet the dogs while I drink it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura was wearing a tasteful but clingy dress, and I was in a suit and (Wildcat red) tie when we came into the Chop House steakhouse for dinner. We were given a booth in the back area of the main room, which was quieter and less trafficked than the rest of the open restaurant. Someone had reserved the back room for a party, and I idly wondered if it was one of the political candidates running for office.

"This is nice." Laura said after we were seated and our drinks ordered. "I didn't realize how much I needed a night like this."

"You've had your nose to the grindstone putting together the State Medical College." I said. "You're working seven days a week, at least sixteen hours every day. I've never seen you working this hard for this long, not even when you were in crisis mode with the CIA. I know once you are in motion you stay in motion, but you haven't slowed down a bit."

"Yes, I know." Laura said. "And I've always liked crisis management like this, and finding solutions to problems, and moving towards a goal. I see Jim, Ross, and Ian acting the same way when they're building the Lego City and the Railroad in the attic. I'm doing the same thing, just on a grownup scale."

"Yes." I said. "But we don't let them overdo it, and we send them to bed. Do I need to make you go to bed early, more often?"

"You're just trying to get into my pants, arentcha?" Laura said with a smile and a twinkle in her eye. I nodded vigorously in response. The waitress came with wine, bread and salad, and I ordered for both myself and Laura, which she has always appreciated.

I wasn't intending to talk about either of our work, but Laura began talking about where things were with the School startup, maybe to get things aligned in her head, or just to have something 'easy' to talk about. I just listened, cataloguing everything in my Mind Palace.

Our food orders came, so we paused to chow down. "Mmmm." Laura said as she ate a piece of steak. "They have the best steaks in the State here."

"I entirely agree." I said as I began eating my own extremely delicious steak. We spent a few minutes eating properly but hungrily. As we finished dessert, Laura poured herself another glass of wine, her third. I held off, since I was driving.

"Soooo," Laura said, "are you going to bring up the 8-year-old elephant in the room?" She meant Carole.

"I was." I replied. "But I see that you are having a good, relaxing evening, so I decided not to at this time."

"I appreciate that." said my wife. "But we will have to talk about it, eventually."

I held back on a reply. There really was nothing to talk about, at least not as far as I was concerned. I merely said "Later." and took the last bite of my delicious chocolate cheesecake, and washed it down with the last of the coffee in my cup.

As we were leaving, Laura said "Paulina called and invited me to Michael McGill's reception... again. Do you want to go there now, and then to the Sheriff's party?"

I replied "Unless you really want to go... I'd rather not. I want to go ahead and go to the Sheriff's party. Once he declares victory, I want to go to Edna Carter's rally with Edward Steele. If you don't want to go to that, you and Stephanie can go to the Mayor's party and be seen with Melina."

"Sounds like a plan." said Laura. "Yes, if Stephanie is amenable, we'll do that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 8:00pm, Tuesday, May 3rd. "Joining me at the Channel Two News Decision Desk tonight is Martha Faulkner!"

After the 'upbeat' political theme song, Bettina began: "The polls have been closed for one hour, and some of the races can be called. Martha?"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the blonde MILF reporterette, again wearing a white blouse and all-white skirt and pants, sitting to Bettina's left behind the Decision Desk. "KXTC's expert analysts are able to call some elections now. Of course, all of the primary races that had candidates unopposed by anyone, including all ten Council Members and all 30 members of the Assembly, have automatically been declared winners, as the candidates are deemed to have voted for themselves."

Martha: "In the Republican primary for Sheriff, incumbent Antonio Griswold is projected to be the nominee, as he currently holds a 70-30 edge over former Deputy Louis Bailey. The Sheriff's lead is consistent throughout all voting precincts. Sheriff Griswold will face Edgar Silas in the General Election."

Bettina spoke up: "In the Democrat race for the important Solicitor position, Alvin Whitner is blowing out former City Attorney Dennis Garland by a whopping 90-10% margin. This may come down as the northern White vote comes in, but it's an easy projection to call Whitner the winner. He will face untested attorney Michael Thomas McGill in the General Election."

Martha: "In the School Board Chairman race, Assemblywoman Cori Bowman leads schoolteacher and former Charter Commission member Edna Carter 55-45%, but that race is considered to be too close to call at this time. And District Attorney Miriam Walters and current Solicitor Ted Mason are in a dead heat at 50-50, and obviously too close to call. The winner of that race will face former ADA Savannah Fineman in the General Election."

Bettina: "In the all-important Mayor's race, incumbent White Nationalist Daniel Allgood, who some say stole the Mayor's election from its rightful winner Eldrick X. Weaver three and a half years ago, is slightly leading Establishment Republican and current Town Assemblyman Ryan Paulson. Surprisingly, Allgood's lead in the early going is strongest in the southern districts of the Town and the County, while Paulson is polling strongly in the northern White suburbs. The winner will face Stacy Jacobs, who is leading her primary opponent Kirdy Stevens by an 85-15% margin, in a race that has been called for Ms. Jacobs by KXTC Channel Two News..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Congratulations, Sheriff." I said to Sheriff Griswold as we sat side-by-side on the couch in the 'green room', a small room behind the larger room his Campaign had rented at the Civic Center, and watched the broadcast.

"Good asskissing skills, Crowbar." growled Griswold good-naturedly, making me and the others in the room laugh. "Edward, what are the real numbers?"

Edward R. Steele checked the app on his iPhone, then said "Give Allgood, Walters, and Edna Carter about 3 to 5 more percentage points than what Bettina is reporting, and the numbers match closely with what the Election Center is reporting on the app."

Also in the room were Laura, Stephanie Steele, Selena Steele, Cindy, Callie, Teresa, Todd, and Katina Jones, the Conservative black woman who was running for Edward Steele's old Council seat, and was unopposed for the Republican nomination.

Everyone chatted for a while, then the Sheriff began getting phone calls. After disconnecting from the last call, he barked "That was KFXU. They're asking if I'm going to make a statement tonight. KXTC called earlier and was more rude about it; they said I needed to make my statement because they're going to move on to the close races."

"It's almost 8:30 now." said Edward Steele. "Why don't we tell them we'll speak at 9:00."

"Tell the press we'll come out there at 8:45." replied the Sheriff. "And if you guys want anyone else on stage with us, you better call them now." I texted Paulina that information...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:40pm we all left the 'green room' and headed for the main room. It was a partitioned-off part of the ballroom where we had the Policeman's Ball every year, and the space was not all that large. Ergo, it looked crowded, even though there were just twelve dozen or so people in the room.

As we came onto the stage in preparation for announcing the Sheriff, I saw Paulina Patterson coming up to us. Behind her was Michael McGill... and in front of her was my daughter Tasha.

At first Tasha was looking wary and unhappy, but as soon as she saw me she exhibited her beautiful smile. "Daddy!" my daughter called out as she ran up to me.

"Hey Little Love!" I said enthusiastically as she came up to me with her arms up, wanted me to pick her up. I did so, and my back protested immediately. I ignored the pain, but I did say "Geez, you're getting to be a BIG Bundle of Love! I can hardly pick you up, anymore." Tasha just laughed and wrapped her arms around my neck in a big hug.

Then the Sheriff was announced and everyone in the room cheered. Among his comments thanking everyone, he said "And we have the President of the new State Medical College with us!" Everyone cheered as Laura waved to the crown, then swiftly retreated behind others so that she wasn't on television for too long.


Sheriff Griswold introduced Edward Steele and Michael McGill, then made a point to have Katina Jones come up next to him for her introduction. Yes, we were pushing hard to get her elected. Then the Sheriff said "And we have the World's Greatest Detective with us, Don Troy!" The crowd cheered, then the Sheriff said "And his lovely daughter Tasha. What do you say, Tasha?" as he held the microphone up to her.