Captured by the Elves Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Landa said, "What is happening here? Are you men surrendering?"

"We surrender to her," said a man pointing at me.

"My girl who works in the bathhouse? Why?"

"She was given to the fire: the judgement of the gods. Yet, there she stands whole and well."

Landa asked the other elves if this was true.

"She was on the pyre," they said. "She was screaming as if dying. We saw from afar and rushed forward. Ericka pulled her from the flames."

She confirmed this with several others. Even checking on Ericka's burns. Landa then looked at me. She touched my shoulder, then took my hand in hers. She squeezed my hand until I begged her to stop.

Landa said, "You seem alive. I don't know." She addressed the humans. "My prisoners from the other day tell me that the priest is in command. Where is he?"

No one wanted to say anything. Finally, it was Lord Collins who stepped forward. He and Katania had been freed from the cage.

"The priest went into the flames," said Lord Collins. "He could not believe that the gods would spare Kiari, so he decided to test his own faith against the judgement of the gods."

Landa seemed to weigh this information for a while. "A bold move," she said. Landa drew her sword and leveled it at Lord Collins. "Perhaps a little bolder than you, my lord. A commander that lets his men put him in chains is somewhat lacking in command ability I should feel. What say you?"

It was Lord Collins' time to appraise. I truly wished that I could've explained to him who Landa was and her background, but real life rarely affords us such opportunities.

Collins said, "The fault is mine. That is so. I believe that you are the chieftain here. I did so hope to treat with you once."

Landa grinned. "Were you going to offer us generous terms? Very cordial of you. However, I'm not sure that I am of a mind to offer you the same."

Some of the elves called for Landa to kill him. Many more were silent. Katania fell to her knees and pleaded.

She said, "Please, any sins that you would kill this man for, I beg that you take my life instead."

Landa narrowed her eyes at Katana. "Is that you, Katania? You look different."

"Kiari saved me. It...well...I was changed at little, but I'm most well now."

"Good to hear," said Landa. "Now, be a dear and be silent. We'll speak later."

Katania tried to get in front of her father, but was quickly grabbed by another she-elf.

"Would you listen to me?" I asked.

I began to slowly walked towards the lord. One of the ladies looked like she was about to grab me, but suddenly hesitated. As though she believed that my skin would still be hot to the touch. I looked at her, and she backed away. I knew it then: some of them were afraid of me.

Landa was as cool and composed as ever. I'd never seen her hold a sword before, but she held it with a grace that spoke of years of mastery. The person that she'd once been was gone, but the skill and the ruthlessness was still there. She didn't back down as I got closer.

Landa grinned at me. "You didn't need to get naked yet, my dear. We're celebrating when we get home. Are you sure that you don't want to put some clothes on? Your beauty may distract me."

I suddenly realized that I was still naked. My bare skin was covered in ash and soot. My body still felt so warm that the growing chill in the air barely struck me. I stood side by side with Lord Collins. The lord and I were as vulnerable as we ever were while Landa was bristling with weapons and her odd bits of reclaimed human armor that covered her normal elf attire.

"Landa" I said. "You can make the choice that their leaders didn't. choose to save lives."

"After what they've done? What kind of message does it send if I don't destroy my enemies when they attack me?"

"What kind of message does it send when you've obviously won and you slaughter them anyway?"

"That's I'm serious and thorough," she said. "Tell me, why did you not burn, Kiari? That seems a little strange."

"I don't know. The gods or the goddess. I don't know why."

"Then perhaps you should rest while I take care of serious business. Like a good girl."

"Do you really care about me?" I asked.

"You know that I do."

"Do this for me. It's simple thing. Let Collins go. Let him take what men would follow and retreat home."

"You think they would even make it home in the state that they're in?"

"Let them take their chances then."

"And would you go with them?" she asked. "Is this your last, desperate chance to escape?"

"I'm for our people," I said. "For the rest of my life."

I noticed something in her eyes: a look of intense satisfaction perhaps.

Teagan stepped forward. "Please, tell me that you're not considering this," she said. "After what we've been through, these men deserve to die."

"Then kill me as well," I said. "For I would've been among these men if things had gone a little differently."

Landa narrowed her eyes at me. She said, "I don't like bring tested."

"I know. As a leader, you must believe in what you do no matter who questions it. I don't envy you that task, but I must do what I believe is right."

"You swear to this commitment? To the goddess herself?"

"I do."

Landa lowered her sword. She looked to Dria, and said: "What do you make of this? You're the priestess."

Dria took a deep breath. She wiped some of the sweat and blood off of herself. She said, "Our sisters can't all be mistaken by what they saw. It's a miracle then. She is touched by the goddess. A divine blessing."

Teagan was less impressed. "That's fine, but how does that change what we must do?"

Dria put her hand on Teagan. She said, "Selah Teagan, there are times, even for me, when there has been enough blood. I've led my own people through times like this, and it doesn't get easier."

"But this..."

It was a strange thing to see Teagan struggle. There had been a time when I would've celebrated such a thing, but to be there as a witness was off-putting. One of Landa's lieutenants, a woman named Agatha, said: "Perhaps we can convert the rest of them."

"We've taken so many over the last few days," said Landa. "Our resources are about to break with so many mouths as it is. Goddess, help me."

Landa put her sword back in its scabbard. She addressed Collins. "You have lost, my lord. In more ways than one I suspect. You will leave your weapons. They belong to us. Take what men will follow you and go back to your war. If you ever bring an army towards us again there will be no terms. Only annihilation." Landa stepped closer to Lord Collins, and in a low voice said, "Katania is a fine member of our family. Be proud of her."

"I am," said the lord.

Landa grabbed me and dragged me in front of the men who had knelt to me. "You're responsible for these men," she said. "Tell them what to do."

"What do you mean?"

"It's part of being a leader," she said. "This is a test for you." She kissed my cheek. "Make me proud."

I stared at the surrendered men uncomfortable and they at me. What I said came quickly to me, but I thought that it was the best thing that I could offer.

"I don't know what you men expect me to say," I said. "I can't explain what happened or what it means. You have a choice to make today. If you go then go in peace never to return. Forget what you saw here. What happened was the war--nothing else. Move on with your life.

"If you would stay then know that you will be converted. I can't promise that you will remember your old lives, but you will be loved and always have a place among us. I can say this as someone who has lived through this change. It's not easy, but you will come out on the other side."

"And haven't you turned out to be special?" said a mocking voice. "Of course, they should go with you. They'll be sucking and fucking their brains out before long, eh?"

I turned to see none other than Curly Jack. It was clear from the look of him that he'd seen some of the sudden battle. Somehow, he had hidden himself away with his cloak in a pile of ruined tents. He could've stayed hidden. That wouldn't have been a guarantee of his survival, but it would've been something. I would've done it. He approached slowly with his hands out. Unarmed. The she-elves around me already had their spears at the ready. I walked towards Curly Jack. The whole time thinking of Clive being left in the bloody mud.

"Do you choose to surrender?" I asked.

He laughed. "And you would just let old Curly Jack go? Didn't I try to teach you about people doing stupid things?"

"Yes. You did."

I could see it in his eyes that he knew he was going to die. He was just waiting for the spear or the arrows to come. This was his last chance to make a jest and insult all of us. A man like that would never miss such an opportunity.

Curly Jack said, "Tell me, cutie. You're so smart. How is it that you didn't burn in that fire?"

I knew that around me several she-elves were about to act. They wouldn't get the chance. I looked at Curly Jack. My vision suddenly dipped and I could see the other she-elf that was me standing next to him. She offered her hands towards him in calm gesture. I still don't know why I did what I did, but it happened.

I touched Jack gently on his mud-covered armor. The bearded man looked at me--confused by my gentleness. "You're wrong," I told him. "I did burn."

Curly Jack went up in flames immediately. This was no normal fire. It was fast. So bright it made my eyes hurt. The dying man only had time to release a stifled scream, and then he crumpled to the ground. His remains smoldered. I walked away from him, and just wanted to be alone.

Around a third of the men would stay with us. The majority would stay with Lord Collins and some simply left on their own. Over the years, different she-elves would ask me what I thought I was doing that day. I told them that I was serious about the men trying to forget what they saw, but that was likely foolish. They all saw something that day. How that affected the larger world I had no idea and tried not to dwell on it.

I watched as Katania and Lord Collins shared their goodbyes. The lord offered Katania a place back home and much love, but Katania couldn't bear to be apart from me. I felt guilty for such a thing, but I couldn't convince her to leave. Officially: Henry Collins would be listed as a casualty of the war, but at least Lord Jonas Collins knew that his first-born child would live on. This was a simple thing, but sometimes that is enough for people. The stakes don't always have to be as grans as some would have them.

Lord Collins and a sum of men would make the long trek home. At the time, I had no idea whether they lived or died. Many years later, I would learn some more. The lord managed to gather up more of his depleted army as he made his way home. They will ill-equipped, but Lord Collins found the strength to get them back to the front. However, the lord would face punishment for his decisions from his superiors. He was put back in chains and sent back to his country in shame as the war took a turn for the worse. Fortunately for him, a change in leadership led to his being freed and vindicated. Years later his youngest son would marry into the royal family in their country. I was happy to be able to tell this story to Katania all those years later. I could still briefly recognize some of the pride of Henry Collins deep within her. I couldn't hold it against her. We all have a past.

But that would be later.

While Katania watched her father and his men slowly depart, I was finally reunited with Braith. Our reunion wasn't what I was expecting. My wife approached me cautiously. Ericka noticed this and she gave us some space. I felt so alone as Braith approached me.

I smiled at my wife and opened my arms--expecting her to rush forward and embrace me like she often did. I'd almost died and somehow had been saved, so surely that would relieve and please her greatly.

"I'm here, Braith. I'm fine."

She looked at me. "How? I saw, Kiari. I saw the flames rise up all around you. I've seen people burned at the stake before. When I was very young, a local merchant ran afoul of the church and was condemned as a heretic. Later, at the college, I was able to study other accounts. You should be dead or dying."

"I don't know what to say."

Braith looked at me. Studying my eyes. She put her fingers to the sides of my throat and my wrists to feel my blood pumping.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

I recognized the look in her eyes: it was uncertainty, confusion, and fear.

"Who are you?"

"It's me," I said. "Why are you acting this way?"

"Are you even my 'Kiari' anymore?"

"Of course, I am."

"You seem different," she said. "It's frightening, Kiari."

It was one of the defining moments of what would become my life. I didn't know it at the time. Braith suspected. She was so educated and so intelligent that it was hard to get anything passed her. Even when it was something that didn't lend itself to rational thought.

I hugged her. Kissed her. Told her that it really was me and that I loved her. She would accept that for a time.

But I had changed.

That day I faced the flames of judgement. I went into the fire. I didn't die, but I came out different. Some of my fellow she-elves would look upon me with a reverence that I didn't understand. Others were frightened of me.

Braith told me to sit and rest. She still didn't believe that I was uninjured. The she-elves finished securing the human camp and the surrounding area. They scavenged what supplies they could find, but it was evident that the humans had been on a steep decline for some time. It was odd to just be sitting there. Ericka, Meryl and some of the other northern girls formed a ring around me. I do not believe that I needed them then. Some of the men who had surrendered to me were still nearby. I knew that they would've defended me to the last man.

It was while waiting that Ericka offered me something wrapped up in a bundle.

"I heard that they killed the doctor," she said. "I'm sorry."

"He died trying to help me."

"I'm sorry," said Ericka. "He always seemed to be a good sort." She handed me the bundle. "I thought that you might want this."

"What is it?"

"The doctor's journal. All of those notes and sketches that he made of us. I don't really read that well, but I thought it looked important."

I opened to journal and it was what she said. Clive's sketches of Ericka and myself. Notes he made about our bodies and physicality. I looked to Ericka. "I'll teach you to read. If you want," I said.

She smiled. "I look forward to it. I'm sure many of the other girls will as well. It may have to wait though. You're going to be a little busy for a while."

"What do you mean?"

A couple of the girls came forward to show me trinkets they'd found in the camp as well as a collection of different coins. So many of the she-elf converts had forgotten so much of their old lives that these items were a mystery to them now. They wanted me to explain what they were and if they were worth money that we could use to buy supplies. I caught myself in a laugh. The girls suddenly became worried that I was making fun of them.

I took their hands in mine. "No, ladies. I would never do that. It's just funny because finally this is something that I actually do have experience with and can actually help out."

I smiled at them and they smiled back. "Let's see what you found," I said.

We left the wreckage of what had been the human camp. Some of the humans remained to see to their dead while others looted them. This was true of battlefields all over the world. As we left, I noticed how we as a group divided into our own subgroups while in transit. Ericka arrived to give me a simple tunic to put on finally. She brought with her Meryl and some of the northern girls to provide an escort. The northern girls had been ever closer to adopting me even since they'd put ink into my skin. Ericka was already talking about getting a shared tattoo with me, and the northern girls felt absolutely inspired that I had survived the fire. I agreed to it all of course. I would spend the rest of my days indulging people, especially my converts.

Some of the men who surrendered to me did their best to march close by. They had chosen conversion rather than attempting the uncertain journey home, which was shocking to me even though I'd been the one to offer it. I would eventually convert a number of these men personally. I wasn't quite ready for that responsibility even though by that point I wasn't naive. I would do it though, and it became difficult for any doubtful she-elf to question my loyalty again. What would eventually emerge from this would be a clique within the she-elves referred to as "Kiari's girls" by some. This wasn't my intention and I wasn't exactly proud of it, but that's what would happen.

When we got back to the settlement, everyone knew what had to happen: we were condemned to leave. The decimated army of Lord Collins was no longer a threat to us, but the knowledge of us would spread. The mundane elves had known where to find us and stories had been circulating about the area for years. No one wanted to be there for then next invasion even if that meant leaving home.

Landa called for a meeting and plans were made. Our own allied group would have to be broken up. The partnership would live on in our lore for some time. The northern and southern groups were bound to go back to their own regions. I already knew where I was likely heading. Some of the smaller elf groups had a harder time of it. They were closer to our own settlement and had to decide on the danger of staying. Our settlement had been there for hundreds of years and its loss would be felt for a long time.

Selah Landa had stripped off her assorted bits of human armor and weapons. She appeared to us as just another she-elf.

"This had been a difficult time for us all," said Landa. "We fought better than we could've imagined, but from the onset there was little doubt that we had been discovered and were now too visible to outsiders.

"This hurts me," she said. "To leave my home, but what else can we do?"

I did my best to remain silent in the background. People were already laying the blame on me and they were not wrong. Fortunately, no one was making these accusations out loud yet.

Landa continued: "The larger part of the human force is dead or scattered. We've won this battle, but we must face a hard truth: they know where we are. Be it the ones we showed mercy to, the ones who fled, or the mundane elves who led them here. This has been my home for hundreds of years. What memories I retain from my old life are of a very different world, so I know what it is to be uncertain. But we must move on.

"Fortunately, we have many new sisters, and will have some more very shortly." Landa shot me a quick look and winked at me. "We will see to our injured. Give them some time to recover, but we must be ready to leave. The other chieftains and I have discussed the possibility of this already."

Decisions had been made and for many of us this was a hard change to face. Some people might misunderstand Landa and how she led. She did what she had to do. Anyone who wanted to go their own way could've done so, but that was a hard choice to make. Most of our people would split to either the north or join up with the smaller groups on the periphery because at least those lands were familiar to them. By that point, the northern girls had effectively adopted me. Ericka would follow Meryl and I there, and Katania would follow me no matter where I went. It was not surprising that Landa would go as well.

But Teagan would not be joining us.

I still remember how it happened. Teagan walked over to Landa. She told her that she would follow Dria into the south. Landa closed the distance to Teagan and the two embraced. They put their foreheads together and spoke for a long time. Their words were too quiet for me to hear., but I could see the intensity of the emotion contained within. They argued. They cried. Each professed how much love she had for the other. These two women had known each other for so long. Such a long relationship was beyond my comprehension at that time. The two women finally separated and that was it.