Case of the Fake Badges Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Someone ran someone off the road." I said.

Cindy came up. "I did the RFID on the City Police badge. It has a chip, it's legit, but it has not been assigned to anyone. I called E.J. Jefferson of the City Police, formerly of ours, and he says the number on that badge, '2273', is not assigned to any City Police Officer."

"That is interesting." I said, in that voice Cindy says is peculiar to me whenever I encounter a 'strangeness'. "Captain, call down to Midtown PD, and ask for the make, model, and license plate of Assistant Chief McCluskey's personal vehicle. When they ask why, tell them that he has been murdered in Coltrane County, and we are verifying that the car found with the body is his. Then sit back and watch the fireworks start..."

Part 18 - Weaving the Pattern

"He was dragged out of his car, tried to fight back, got the crap beat out of him, then they drug him off the road about fifty yards and shot him in the back of the head, execution-style. Caliber is .22 magnum; they've already recovered it from the inside of his skull above the eyes."

"Fast work." I said. We were in the Main Conference Room, 'we' being myself, Chief Bennett, Captain Ross, Lt. Perlman, Cpt. Moynahan, and Myron Milton. It was 6:30pm, and it was our first chance to meet. The crime scene had gone crazy when representatives of the Midtown Police showed up, some of which I suspected were Midtown Internal Affairs.

Other SBI officers also showed up, regular ones, trying to take jurisdiction from me. Sheriff Sorrells verbally blasted the hell out of them for that on jurisdictional issues, and things became near-physical and near-violent. It took Director Jack Lewis's personal and politically-inspired phone call to make them back off when a threatened double-crowbar beatdown did not sufficiently impart fear into the SBI's asshole agents.

Myron said "Captain Moynahan's GPS logs show that he left the Midtown Police Station, stopped for gas on the outskirts of the city, then didn't stop until he got to Police Headquarters here. I have entered all that into the evidence servers."

"Thank goodness." said Cav. "I wasn't aware I was going to need an alibi when I drove up here, but I'm glad the newfangled el-ec-tronics have given me one." We all laughed. Then Cav said "And I'm doubly glad you called me, Commander Troy. It looks like you were right. McCluskey may have been coming after me."

"I'm willing to bet money that he was." I said. "And then he was run off the road and simply taken out. Question is, by whom?"

"And leaving a City Police Badge." said Chief Bennett. "I know I haven't been here much lately, and for that I apologize, but I understand that these killers are leaving a series of badges around?"

"With respect, Chief... 'killers'? Plural?" Cindy Ross asked. Hoo-boy, now I've got to intervene...

"In the case of McCluskey," I said quickly, "I think we can easily surmise multiple perps. It would take several to beat down a man like McCluskey, and force him into that field to be executed. As to the other cases, it's not nearly so clear. And yes, Chief, we've found multiple badges in what appear to be loosely related crimes."

"I also understand," said Chief Bennett, "that McCluskey's Midtown Police badge was not found on his person nor in his car, is that right? Nor any firearms on him?"

"Yes sir, all of that is correct." I said. "I would also add that he was driving his POV, his personally owned vehicle, instead of the Midtown Police vehicle assigned to him. That in itself is instructive. It means he was following Cpt. Moynahan in a vehicle Cpt. Moynahan would be less likely to recognize, and his badge RFID would give him away, so he didn't carry it with him. The alternative is that the perps took the badge. As to firearms, I'm suspecting the perps took his firearms with them. And yes, I think he planned to kill Moynahan."

"This is crazy." said Chief Bennett. "Six murders, six badges left at the scenes."

"It gets crazier, Chief." I said, almost mockingly. "In the first one, the guy who admits killing the pawn shop owner adamantly states he has no idea about the badge found, nor the woman to whom it belonged. There's no connection between victim #2, Norris, and badge #2, Watch Captain Lockhart. Ferrell's badge and the C.I. Wheeler ---- no connection. And so on."

"No pattern at all?" asked Bennett.

"I didn't say that." I said. "There are some threads here, but weaving them together into a tapestry of an iron-clad case for the District Attorney is another thing."

"What are you thinking?" asked Bennett... and I realized that he was trying to get this information for Director Lewis. His loyalties were not to this Police Department. And I realized that the epiphany I'd just had would've released some mental energy in my head... which would've been recognized.

"I'm not sure yet." I said, trying to control my voice as well as my mind. "What I do know is that these last two cases, the Soltis badge and the unassigned City Police badge, do not fit the patterns. Bonita Bishop coming up dead is one thing; I have a connection for that. But Soltis's badge? And this last one... it's like they just put a blank badge down."

"Sir, I have an idea." said Cindy. "All of these badges are coming up as seemingly legitimate. But maybe the ones we're finding have somehow had their RFIDs reprogrammed to mimic existing badges. Maybe they just didn't get a chance to program this one before planting it on McCluskey."

"There are objections to that theory." I said. "But you may be taking the first steps down the right trail."

"Chief," I said, "with your permission, why don't we break for the night, I'll get Captain Moynahan situated in his new quarters for the time being, and everyone can get some supper and some rest."

"Uh, sure." said Bennett. With that, the meeting broke up.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Todd brought his (and Melina's) son Doug to the Mountain Nest for little Doug's 2nd birthday celebration. Also there were me, Laura, my mom Phyllis, Cindy, Tanya and baby Pete, and Teresa Croyle.

Doug decided he liked Bowser, which suited Bowser just fine... but did not suit Bowser's owner well. Carole made it more than clear Bowser was her dog. I had to help Carole understand that it made Bowser happy to be petted by Doug as well as her brother Jim and little Pete, so she finally relented. Fortunately, Carole was distracted by her cousin Todd's charms and he quickly had her laughing merrily as Bowser reveled in the attention being given him.

"So you've got Captain Moynahan staying at The Cabin?" asked Cindy as we quietly chatted.

"Yep." I said. "He's on vacation, and the Midtown Police have not yet tried to get him to come back down there, or even interview him about McCluskey. That in itself is a bit strange to me."

"A lot of people are in danger." Cindy said. "Is it just me... or is our Consultant of Crime taking some rather bold actions, lately. Like he's being squeezed. Are you doing better than you realize you are?"

"Let's just say," I said with an evil grin, "that I do realize where I am in getting that bastard into a Courtroom. There are still a couple of things on the side that I'm looking at, as well."

"What's that?"

"One is why they wanted the Burke tapes so much." I said. "The other is to figure out why Angela Harlan went after Selena Steele so hard and so personally, and maybe why she waxed Pete Feeley. I just can't shake the feeling that the answers to both these questions will lead us right to our Consultant's doorstep."

Cindy sighed. "I understand your desire to avenge Pete." she said, looking over at his son on the other side of the room, "But I also think it's eating you up inside. Kick my ass if you want to try, but I think you need to let that go a little bit."

"I hear what you're saying." I said. "But really, this isn't obsessing... it's a logical aspect of the case, and may help me bring down the Consultant of Crime."

"I also noticed what you did... that Chief Bennett's curiosity at the meeting is out of place." said Cindy. "He was fishing for information, and not just for the good of the TCPD."

"That's an Iron Crowbar observation there, ma cousine." I said in a very poor attempt at French, and realizing that my cousin had indeed picked up on my mental burst of energy in that meeting. "You are really starting to get good."

"Not at being a Troy, like you and Mycroft over there." Cindy said, referring to my mother. "But maybe at being an Eckhart. I really felt your vibe when it hit you about the Chief."

"Yes." I said. "And we are going to have to move him on out of there. I'm going to speak to the Sheriff tomorrow morning."

"So, what tapestries are you weaving?" Cindy asked. "Just between us Michaux types here."

I said "First of all, there's two sets of patterns, and we are making the mistake of intertwining them, or looking for cross-patterns that do not exist. One pattern is of the victims themselves. The second is of the various holders of these badges, except for the last two."

"I kind of see what you mean," said Cindy, "though I am not seeing either actual pattern."

"The victims are easy." I said. "It's the badge-holders that are harder to see. And even more... who is planting their badges on these crime scenes."

"It's not the killer or killers?" Cindy asked, shock in her voice.

"That is part of what is hard to see." I replied.

Part 19 - Please To Remember, Redux

Thursday, November 5th. Guy Fawkes Day. Please to remember...

After my workout with Sergeant Tate, I went out for my run with the ROTC cadets. Looking around, I saw something that bothered me: a KSTD news vans filming us.

I called the Cadet Seniors over, and pointed out the news vans. I suggested we not run anywhere near the athletic complex. I also made another phone call, then hustled to my Police SUV to get something. I had anticipated the possibility of what was about to happen. I had to explain to the cadets what today was. And then we began our run.

As we ran, Campus Police cars hurtled up to the news van, surrounding it. "What are you doing here?" they yelled, throwing the news crew to the ground and handcuffing them. "Why are you videotaping military cadets, future officers?"

Lt. Bill Hanson of the Campus Police ambled up. "Take them to the Campus Police Headquarters. Leave their vans here, unlocked. Leave their cameras on the ground, and don't bother watching over them."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What the hell is this about, Hanson?" screamed Priya Ajmani. She'd gotten the call about the detainment of her news crew. KSTD's editor was on the way. Another crew was rushing like mad to get to the vans and equipment that had been left unattended.

"Why the hell are your people filming ROTC cadets?" asked Hanson.

"We're newspeople, we have the right to film events----"

"Oh really?" interrupted Hanson. "Let me cite you this section of State Law, that prohibits the filming of military installations as well as military personnel as they are training or on exercises, without explicit, written permission of the Installation Commander. So if you'll just produce that written permission..."

"We don't need your God-damn permission to tape Commander Troy on this Campus!" yelled Priya.

"Ah, now we're getting somewhere." said Hanson. "You're targeting Commander Troy. Even so, your news crew will remain under arrest until they are bailed out of jail. They've been bound over to County Superior Court on the illegal filming charges, as well as trespassing on State property and reckless endangerment."

"Reckless endangerment?!?!" yelled Priya. "Of who?"

"You just admitted it... Commander Troy." said Hanson. "Now why would you want to film where he is and what he is doing, unless it's to broadcast it on TV and reveal to criminals his whereabouts?"

"I am going to roast you alive, Hanson." Priya snarled.

"No, you're not." said a voice behind her. University President Sidney P. Wellman walked into the room. "I consider this a very serious breach of this University's security, Ms. Ajmani. And I intend to pursue full criminal charges. Furthermore, KXTC is forbidden access to any part of this campus. If you're found on campus, you'll be arrested and jailed on felony trespass charges. As University President, I'm backing up my Campus Police all the way. If you choose to make a public incident of this, I will give you a war."

"All right, what do you want?" asked Priya. "What do you really want?"

"I want you to stop the bullshit, Priya." said Wellman. "By the way, Bill, come outside with me for a second. Someone wants to talk... privately... with Ms. Ajmani here."

As Hanson left with Wellman, Priya looked at the door... and suddenly her whole being was filled with fear. The person walking into the room was... Dr. Laura Fredricson. And not in her capacity as a tenured University professor.

"Sit down, Priya." Laura ordered. When Priya didn't move, Laura yelled "SIT!" Priya sat down. Laura had activated her anti-bugging device, similar to her husband's but the latest model and much more powerful. The tape recorder in Priya's purse was not only being scrambled, but utterly destroyed electronically.

"I would've thought..." Laura said, sitting on the edge of the desk, facing Priya, "... that you had learned your lesson, little girl. My husband saved your life. If it were not for him, you and I would not be having this conversation now. And next time... they won't fuck up and let him find you. Now why the fuck are you putting my husband's safety in danger?"

Priya sat silent.

"I asked you a question, you little bitch." Laura snarled, bearing down on Priya. "I am fast losing patience with you. Once again, why are you filming my husband?"

"My editor told me to get film footage of him running with the cadets." said Priya.

"Why?" demanded Laura.

"Because the Conference is about to open an investigation of Commander Troy sending a video of a Bulldogs practice to the Wildcat coaches." said Priya. "And he was running with the cadets that morning, also. So the news crew was getting film footage to go with the story when it breaks."

"And you've been told this in advance." said Laura.

"Yes." Priya said. "It's all been planned out in advance. The Conference Assistant Commissioner is going to open the investigation, then Coach Bronson and his lawyer is going to file a lawsuit against the both schools and your husband. The Media will have blanket, wall-to-wall coverage of it ready to go. And they're going to subpoena the Commander's cellphone."

"They'll never get that." Laura said, not understanding. "He only carries his police cellphone on his morning runs, not his personal one. And no Court in the land is going to issue a warrant to force him to turn over his Police cellphone."

"That is the plan, Doctor." said Priya. "We'll see who wins."

"When is this supposed to go into effect?" Laura asked. "When is the Conference going to open the investigation?"

"Monday." said Priya.

"Bullshit, little girl." Laura said, putting ugliness in her voice. "You're getting the film today so that you can do this tomorrow." Priya's eyes gave away the acknowledgement that Laura was right.

"Priya... you are not ready for prime time. You have no clue what you're dealing with." Laura growled. "Get out of here. Do I need to explain what is going to happen to you if you ever try to film my husband again without his consent?" Priya said nothing, but hastily left the office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

The KXTC film crew had taken up a more secluded spot to film Commander Troy running with the ROTC cadets... and situated off-campus. As the ROTC Company ran by on the other side of the road, the film rolled, concentrating on the man running behind them.

"Ah, shit." said Scott Turnbull, Bettina Wurtzburg's cameraman.

"What is it?" asked the driver.

"Look." said Turnbull. The other man looked, and saw what was happening.

Commander Troy was wearing a Guy Fawkes mask. It was if 'Anonymous' were running with the troops.

We are Legion., I thought to myself. We do not forgive. We do not forget. And a certain Consultant of Crime was going to find that out...

Expect us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The party at The Cabin was in full swing. The sun had set in the west, only a thin red line was left of the day before it gave way to night. The light of a train coming out of that western horizon glowed. I watched it from the deck until it made the turn south, then I went back inside.

It was my son Ross's first birthday. His red hair was beginning to grow out, and his blue eyes sparkled as he saw the handsome yellow-coated dog running around the room. Bowser finally came over to see him, and he laughed with happiness I helped him gently stroke Bowser's head and back.

"I am worried," I said, "that Carole is going to begin expecting these parties every day. My birthday, yours, Doug's, Ross's..."

"I can think of worse problems." my wife said. She had little Jim, while my mother Phyllis was holding... or rather restraining... Carole, who was trying hard to get into trouble.

Molly had come up, and she and Ross would be staying in the master bedroom. Captain Moynahan was staying in the guest bedroom. Also here was Cindy, Teresa, Todd with little Doug, Tanya with little Pete, Jack Muscone of the FBI, Martin Nash and Sandra Speer, Chief Griswold and his wife... and Frank Soltis, who was talking with Molly and Cav in the front room while the rest of us partied with the kids in the back room. I saw Molly wave her hand to bring me over.

"Don," Molly said quietly, "did you hear what happened with Frank?"

"The suspension?" I asked. "Yes, I did."

"No, what's happened since." said Cav Moynahan. "Tell him, Frank."

"Well," I demanded to know why I was suspended." said Soltis. "One of the paper pushers, a Captain in Personnel, told me to shut my mouth or there'd be repercussions. I asked if that was a threat and he hung up. So I called the Union, just trying to find out what was going on. They checked, and the rep they assigned to me said he could not find out anything, that there was no reason listed for my suspension, just the investigation of my badge being on that dead girl."

Frank continued: "So I got a lawyer, and got ready to sue the Department. I went through proper channels and protocols, and notified the Union of my intent to bring suit. All of a sudden, they wanted to talk about letting me back on desk duty and such stuff.

"I pressed for their reasons for suspending me, and they dodged and weaved... and offered to restore me to full active duty. I said I wasn't going to let bygones be bygones and just sweep it under the rug, that I intended to file the suit, if just to get the exact reasons for my suspension."

Frank went on: "My union rep came to see me and the lawyer." Frank said. "He said the Department had made a mistake but did not want to openly admit it, and they wanted me to just drop it and resume my duties. I said that wasn't good enough, that I smelled corruption, and I wanted concrete answers and people held to account... and that I had nothing to lose in a lawsuit. The union rep said the Union would turn against me if I didn't let this ride. I told them I'd think about it, and give them my answer over the weekend. So my question is... what should I do now?"

"Don, I can't hire him." Molly said. "We're facing budget cuts as it is."

"Neither can I." I said. "I got Krueger in, but I've been told explicitly that I can't make any more direct hires, they have to go through the full process... and that's not going to happen because we're facing budget cuts, too."