Case of the Parole Officer Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hanging up, Cindy said "Teresa is sending me some emails of data Sonali found. She cc'd them to you, too." I got my laptop off the den table in front of the sofa, and opened it to the emails as Cindy read the emails on her police cellphone. Then Cindy made a call back to Teresa.

"APBs for all of them." Cindy said. "Take them to County Lockup."

Meanwhile, I was calling Mary Mahoney Milton. "Hi Mary," I said. "Sorry to call you at night on your off-time, but I'm going to send you some data, and I need for you to correlate something... oh, Myron got phone signatures? Great..."

Part 7 - Alibis and Alibis

At 4:00am, Wednesday July 1st, I entered the County Jail and Precinct 3 Headquarters. All my 'Angels' were there, and Teresa was making coffee. Detective Purvis, Detective Nash, and Myron Milton were also there.

"Mary was up half the night running this, so I told her to sleep in." Myron said, to my hearty approval. He gave me the data she'd compiled.

"Very good stuff." I said, perusing it. "Okay, let's get it out of the horses' mouths--"

"What is going on here?" The voice was Precinct Captain Susan Weston's. She had just arrived, was wearing plainclothes, and looked as if she'd rushed out of bed to get here. Apparently someone had called her to come in, since her direct boss (me) was here.

"Ah, good morning, Captain Weston." I said. "We are about to interrogate some potential perps in the Cloisters burglaries. Feel free to watch."

"I understand, sir." said Weston. "But I understand these cases were assigned to Vice. Do we really need Lieutenant Perlman here?" That was a direct shot, as Perlman and Weston had no liking for each other.

"As you were, Precinct Captain Weston!" The voice was (full) Captain Cindy Ross's, and she had squared up to Susan Weston. "Lieutenant Perlman is here because I want her here. Do you have a problem with that?"

"Yes ma'am, I do." replied Weston, not backing down. "She has no place here." I actually was happy to see that, but I had to prevent a blue crowbar beatdown about to commence.

"Your complaint is noted, Ms. Weston," I said, "but Perlman's place is where her boss says it is, and that's right here right now. Okay, Ross, let's get these interviews going." Weston left us for her office, to everyone's relief.

"I wish Sergeant Rudistan had been here to see that." said Martin Nash. "I'd love to hear what he'd say about it."

"Remind me to steel myself against your 'pawky' sense of humor, Mr. Nash." I said, trying hard not to laugh and pretend to be serious. But the thoughts of what the mischievous Rudistan might say did lighten the mood for all of us.

One by one, Purvis and I interviewed the suspects. And one by one, a continuing pattern emerged.

"I was at a meeting with my parole officer." one perp said.

"Who is that?" I asked.

"Ryan Frost."

The next perp said he was being surprise inspected in his apartment. The parole officer making the search? "Ryan Frost."

Two perps did not say 'Ryan Frost', but 'Sarah Carter' as the parole officer they were assigned to. Sarah Carter mostly had female parolees assigned to her, as the County was wise enough to disallow male parole officers to invade female parolee's homes without a female parole officer present.

Once done, I went into the anteroom. "Say no more here." I said. "Main conference room at Headquarters. Let's go there now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fortified with mugs of coffee and two pots on the hot plates, we met in the Main Conference room.

"Myron," I said quietly to him as everyone was getting their coffee and settling in. "What did you get on the cellphone signatures at our boy Spratt's home?"

"He had two phones there, both powered off." said Myron. "One was a personal cell phone registered to his name. The other was a burner, and had the name of a trucking company in the saved list, so I think he uses it while on the road. That phone did ping off the nearest tower to the Heritage Cloisters at the time of the crime. More interestingly, there was a phone call on it at that time... want to guess where to?"

"West Palm Beach, Florida?" I said. Myron shook his head in amazement.

"Damn, nothing gets by you." he said. "It was near there: Boynton Beach, which I think is just south of West Palm Beach."

"It is." I said. "Great work." We sat down with the rest of the group.

"Well, folks," I said to start the meeting, "what were your impressions of those interviews?"

"All of them had alibis with the same parole officer for the times in question?" asked Martin Nash. There was a murmur of agreement.

"Exactly." I said. "As Dame Agatha Christie pointed out: 'You can always have once coincidence. You can never have two.' And we now have what, eight or nine such coincidences; therefore, we have none. And the two that had Sarah Carter, that's not a coincidence, either."

"So I need to go talk to Mr. Frost and Ms. Carter about this?" asked Detective (J.G.) Purvis.

"No no no no." said Tanya Perlman. "You'll tip them off. If they're covering for these perps doing the crimes, we need to get some proof of that and then bust them."

"Exactly." I said. "And right now we don't have a thing on Frost or Carter. And at the risk of offending my Lieutenants, I'm going to give some direct instructions: Purvis, I want you to start digging into Frost's background. Don't ask the data miners nor the Abacus for help, nor tell them what you are doing; do it yourself and give Lt. Croyle any information you find. Look into his personal life, finances, all that stuff. Nash, do the same for Carter. Melt the wires."

"Tanya, Teresa, get all the existing information and put it together. Myron also has some phone data for you. Just you two on it, I don't want half the Force knowing what's going on. Obviously, I'm trying to mitigate leaks. Last but not least, Captain Ross, you'll be working with me to set up a sting. We're doing this ourselves so that if it goes wrong, it's my ass hanging in the breeze, and not any of y'all's."

"Sir," said Myron, "there is that one other case Sonali found."

I smiled at Myron... an evil, ugly smile that no perp wants to see on the features of a man that wields a red crowbar. "You anticipate me, Mr. Milton." I said, my voice dripping with sinister intent. "You anticipate me."

Part 8 - Pain and Suffering

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, still Wednesday, July 1st. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police Department has made several arrests connected with the spate of burglaries at the Heritage Cloisters subdivision. Third Precinct Captain Susan Wexler, in an exclusive statement to Channel Two News, said that her precinct's officers made the arrests overnight, and that the suspects are being interviewed for information. Captain Wexler also said that they may not be the actual perpetrators of the various crimes, but are simply persons of interest that may have information that will help Third Precinct Police solve these cases."

"My God, the effrontery of that." said Cindy Ross. Lt. Perlman was scowling, also, as we watched.

Bettina then said "Channel Two News is very happy to announce our new addition to the Sports Coverage Team. Nick Eastwood will be bringing you news and inside coverage of the University football team that he was a part of the last four years, as well as all the other Sports news for the County. Welcome, Nick!"

Nick Eastwood appeared on the screen, smiling just a bit too brightly, and all of the women in the room were paying rapt attention... except Cindy Ross. "Thank you, Bettina, and it's great to be working with the best news team in the State! We're going to be fully covering the County Triathlon this weekend. With Police Captain Cindy Ross and her partner Lieutenant Teresa Croyle not defending their titles from last year due to injury, the field will be wide open for anyone willing to endure the grueling race for the championship..."

"Hell," said Cindy, "I'm ready to enter and whip all their asses right now. Whaddya say, Teresa?" That got a very determined look in her direction from Your Iron Crowbar.

Jabbing my finger at her with each word, I said "Don't. You. Even. Think. A-bout. It." Cindy grinned and everyone else laughed.

"I think she's pulling your leg, sir." said Detective Joanne Cummings.

"She damn well better be." I said acerbically. Everyone knew that I wasn't really angry, but was speaking out of concern and love for my partner.

"Seriously," Martin Nash said, "who is going to be the Police team?"

Cindy said "Claire Michaels and Hugh Hewitt. I've been training them. They've got an outside chance to win if they have the intestinal fortitude."

Teresa Croyle replied "My money is on Todd Burke and Teddy Franklin, the BOW Enterprises team. So who are you rooting for, Commander?"

"Ah, the devil or the deep blue sea." I said, deftly avoiding Teresa's trap. "I'm rooting for all to do well and no one to get hurt."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:00am I was called into the Chief's office. He did not invite me to sit down, having me stand in front of his desk as he spoke.

"Commander, I received a call from Precinct Captain Wexler." he said. "She is very upset that Captain Ross berated her in her own headquarters this morning, and believe that Captain Ross was out of place to do so. She is threatening to file a Union grievance against Captain Ross for that."

"And she went over my head to you." I said.

"Can you blame her?" the Chief said. "You'll just take up for your partner... and family member... without giving any thought to the facts."

I struggled to keep command of my temper. "The facts, sir, are that Weston harassed Lt. Perlman first. Captain Ross took up for her officer in an excellent example of leadership. Ross was right; Weston was dead wrong. I was there and witnessed the whole thing, so I know the facts. And I may just mention to the Sheriff, going over your head, that Precinct Captain Weston is showing herself to be unfit for the position she is in."

Before Bennett could continue, I leaned over the desk and said "I'm too busy trying to wrap up these burglaries and what I see as some other crimes, to deal with this shit, Chief. I'm not going to play any more games. I'll just tell you this: if Ross leaves, I leave. You may think that's a good thing, Chief, but it won't be. And I won't go quietly, it'll get ugly. Now make your choice, Chief. Keep it up, or leave me and Ross the hell alone." I turned to go.

"There's one more thing before you go." said the Chief. "The SBI has opened an investigation into Henry Wargrave's death, and they want to interview you and Captain Ross. I have told them that we will cooperate fully in every way, and I expect you to make yourself and Captain Ross available to be interviewed."

"Yes sir." I said.

"Get out of here." the Chief said. I executed that instruction as quickly as I could.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I appeared at Ryan Frost's desk, with Detective Purvis in tow.

"Guys, it's a busy morning." said Frost.

"I understand, and I'm in a hurry myself." I said. "I just want to confirm three parolees had meetings with you at certain times." I named the first one. Ryan got onto his computer calendar, then said "Yeah, Tom Jones, he was meeting with me that evening."

"What about Dick Harris?" I asked, naming a date and time. Ryan confirmed it.

"And Jonas Grumby?" I asked, again supplying the date and time.

"Uh yeah, there he is right there. Home inspection at that hour." said Frost.

"Can I get a copy of these three items in your log?" I asked. Ryan provided a hard copy.

"Thank you, Mr. Frost." I said, smiling. "See you later."

"Don't take offense, but I hope not." said Frost sourly as he returned to his work.

As we walked outside, I asked Purvis "Did you witness that?"

"Yes sir, I did." replied 'Chris Pervert'. This case was getting better by the minute.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

SBI Agents Greenwalt and Carter Fischer appeared at Headquarters about an hour later, to interview Captain Cindy Ross and me, Your Iron Crowbar. Cindy and I long since had gotten our stories straight on this, so it was a matter of recitation as I spoke with them in the Main Conference Room of Police Headquarters.

"The cameras at the front of the Cannon Building show you and Captain Ross walking up to the crime scene not long after Mr. Wargrave fell from thirty floors up." said Agent Fischer. I remembered him from the Murdered Football Player case; at the time he'd seemed okay, but now I could see he was hostile to me. I need not say that Greenwalt was still immature as well as hostile.

Fischer continued: "We also have reports of helicopters landing on the roof just before Mr. Wargrave's death, possibly shots being fired, and we have other reports of you and Captain Ross taking a helicopter from University Hospital to the City, and that helicopter matched the one seen coming to land at the Cannon Building."

He paused, as if expecting me to say something. I sat and waited, making him look and feel foolish in the long silence that followed.

"So, Commander Troy, is that all true?" Fischer finally asked.

"Finally, a question." I said acidly. "And my answer is: I don't know. I can't speak to any shots being fired, but Captain Ross and I did arrive by helicopter to the Cannon Building, as we were attempting to assist the FBI in arresting Wargrave. However, by the time we arrived, he had jumped out his window to his death. We went downstairs to the scene, finding the City Police already having taken charge of it. So we left and came home."

"You did not see Mr. Wargrave in his office?"

"We arrived too late." I replied.

"Who else was in the helicopter?" asked Fischer.

"It was me, Ross, and the pilot." I said. An omission is not a lie. So said Commander. Spock, so says Commander Troy, I thought to myself.

"What was the pilot's name?"

"I didn't ask." I said. Well, it wasn't a lie, I really didn't ask since I already knew who he was.

Fischer looked at me suspiciously. Greenwalt looked like he had his thumb up his ass. Fischer tried his gambit: "Commander... we talked to Captain Ross before talking to you. Her story differs from yours."

"Oh really?" I said. I wonder if they were seeing the gleam in my eye, I thought to myself.

"Yes." Fischer said. "So why don't you come correct with the real story?"

"Well, guys," I said, "I know that what I told you is not different than what Captain Ross told you. But since you've just accused me of committing a crime, at this point I'm not going to answer any more of your questions about this case without a lawyer present." I got up. "You guys have a nice day, and tell Director Lewis I said hello."

My words were not idle nor polite; they were an insinuation, one I was sure Director Lewis would not fail to understand if and when his agents conveyed the message. I left the room and went back to the sanctuary of my office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You've come a long way." I said to Cindy as we talked later in my office. I need not say the anti-bugging device was on full power. "You were the squeamish one over Nathan Allen. But with Wargrave, you had no problem helping me conclude that investigation with extreme prejudice. Welcome to the Dark Side."

Cindy smiled. "Well, I'm not sure it was the right thing to do. But as the old saying goes, 'if you hit me first, you better kill me'. He didn't kill me, soooo..." She shrugged her shoulders. I understood, smiling.

"Yep," I replied, "my nephew Ned found out the same thing, the hard way."

Cindy nodded, then said "You were right that those SBI Agents would try a dirty trick. They told me they had video footage of us in Wargrave's office. And I did just as you said, I said they were lying, but since they were making an accusation, I wouldn't talk to them any more without a lawyer present."

"Yeah, Lewis is reaching, clutching at straws." I said. "I think he wants to pin this on us, or on me at least, and it didn't work."

"You think he knows?" Cindy asked, her voice nearly inaudible.

I smiled. "No. Unless he has a... 'Consultant' that told him. But I think he has other reasons for trying to stick this on me, the reasons we talked about before." I noticed Cindy peering at me as I said that last sentence.

"In the meantime," I continued, "I want you to come to The Cabin this Friday. Laura, Melina, my mother, and other ladies are having some sort of 'Girls Night Out'. In the meantime, Molly and Ross are coming up for the July 4th weekend and staying at The Cabin with me, Carole, Jim, and of course Bowser. You'll have a chance to talk to Molly about... everything."

"Oh boy." Cindy said. "I... I don't have any idea what to say about all of that."

"It'll work out." I said. "And probably more easily than you realize. At any rate, it's either The Cabin's deck... or Laura's sofas. You make the call."

"The deck, no doubt." Cindy said. "The view is better." she added, her words fooling no one present.

"A wise decision." I said, then I hit her with the bombshell. "I've invited Jenna to join us for dinner, also."

Cindy's blue eyes widened like saucers. Then she recovered.

"I do need to say one other thing." Cindy said. "I saw how you looked coming out of the Chief's office, and it doesn't take being a Michaux to see what's going on with him regarding me. I've been thinking that I can accept the FBI's offer and join them full time, and work with Jack and his crew. Then you can promote Tanya to the Captain slot, which will make her happy, and then hire Molly into MCD, maybe as its Lieutenant."

"First of all," I said, fingering the anti-bugging device in my hand, "if you think you being my cousin though we didn't know about it for a long time is an issue, how do you think it would go over if I tried to put the mother of one of my children, with another on the way, into a subordinate slot like that?"

"Second," I said, "while Tanya is doing a good job where she is, why do you think I automatically would promote her to your slot, or would be allowed to?"

"Who would they put there?" Cindy asked.

"Weston." I replied. As Cindy absorbed that one, I said "Last, I'll tell you what I told the Chief: if you leave, I leave." After a pause, I said "Look, do you trust me to handle this situation and resolve it to our betterment?"

"I guess so." Cindy said. "But I'm not taking much more shit from that man. Yeah, let's leave here together, if that's what it takes. We'll be fine. He won't."

"We'll talk about it more later." I said. "You and I have some crimes to solve... and if I'm right, some new ones to discover." I got up and Cindy got up and we left the office. She had not noticed that I had turned off the anti-bugging device for the last part of the conversation... and that Internal Affairs was listening in, full force.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had a mission to do while Cindy met with Tanya and Teresa, planning a mission to bring in some witnesses for our case. I put on plain clothes, put my badge further left on my belt so it wasn't easily seen and was covered by my jacket.

Leaving my crowbar in the SUV, I entered Precinct 3 by the side door. There was activity as Deputy Sheriff's brought criminals out to take them to the Courthouse, and others being brought in. Police were milling about, as well. I walked along the hall and to the Duty Desk counter, then right through behind two uniformed officers. Once inside, I headed down the hall to PCpt. Weston's office, in the back left of the Precinct side of the building.