Casting Aspersions Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So what do you want?" asked Tina Felton.

"The truth." I said. "What really happened, Jenny?"

"Are you giving her immunity?" asked Tina.

"Sir," said Julia Rodriguez, "why should we give her anything at all? We're going to keep digging deep, and we will find a lot more on Jenny. Her connections to Swenson and Eidex of Citizens for Police Accountability, for example. She's in a world of... hurt."

"Very good points." I said. "But it's your most very lucky day, Ms. Peabody. So as long as you cooperate fully, tell the full, truthful story of what happened, testify against anyone the D.A.'s Office asks you to testify against, then we won't prosecute you for your part in it."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

SBI Agent Terence Johnson came into the Interrogation Room with Campus Police Officer Tarleton. Sitting there waiting for them were Gwen Munson and Tim Sioban. Watching in the WPD Monitor Room were several Agents of the Law, including SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell and SBI-OER Lieutenant Norm Chow.

"All right," Johnson said to Sioban directly, "so you're going to answer our questions?"

"Wait." said Gwen Munson. "This Campus Police Officer is out of jurisdiction. I demand he leave."

Johnson shook his head in exasperation. "You start playing games with me, lady, and I'll snap your client's head back so hard he'll be a bobblehead doll for the gangbangers in State Prison. There's no reason Detective Tarleton cannot be here for the questioning. Alternatively, we can transport your client back to the University, where he will be in jurisdiction... and your client will be in the Iron Crowbar's County."

"All right." said Munson. "Go ahead."

Not fooled, Johnson first re-read Sioban his rights from the card. Sioban just nodded when he was asked if he understood the rights.

"Okay." said Johnson. "Mr. Sioban, Louella Hopper was speaking directly to you when she fell to the floor unconscious and died at that spot. What were and she talking about? What specifically did she tell you while you were talking?"

Sioban straightened up and spoke with clarity, as if he were on television in a dramatic moment. "We were talking about the Federal authorities confirming to her that Donald Troy had found McGinty's Materials. Her last words before she dropped to the floor and died were that it had been confirmed to her that Commander Troy illegally still had McGinty's Materials in his possession, and that she feared that Commander Troy would murder her to prevent her from publishing her upcoming column about it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All I know," said Jenny Peabody after the paperwork had been signed to give her limited immunity, "is that I went to get the bottled waters when someone came up to me and said that Mr. Goldman preferred a special flavored water, and she handed me a bottle of it. I put it at the end of the row of bottles, and put it down at Mr. Goldman's place before putting out the other water bottles."

"Who was this woman that gave you the bottle?" I asked.

"I don't know, I'd never seen her before... or since." said Jenny. "She was black, nicely dressed. I figured she was an aide for one of the Council Members, and I don't really know who everyone is."

"Young? Older?" I asked.

"Young, in her twenties." said Jenny.

"Did you see this woman in the Council chamber before or during the meeting?" I asked.

"No sir." said Jenny. "After delivering the waters, I never went back into the Chamber."

"Where did this conversation occur?" I asked. "Where did she give you the bottle?"

"In the kitchen area, at the refrigerator." Jenny said.

"And Mr. McGhillie's water?" I asked.

"I don't know anything about that." said Jenny. "It was just the one bottle."

I looked at Tina Felton and said "Your client is lying to me. I'm going to give her 20 minutes to tell the truth, and if she doesn't... this immunity agreement will be considered irretrievably broken."

"What is she lying about?" Tina demanded to know, seemingly incensed.

"I would think..." I said, "that an aide with such knowledge of Mr. Goldman's tastes in water would have just brought a water he liked to his seat. And Jenny here put down Mr. McGhillie's water like she did Mr. Goldman's... before putting out the other ones. We can review the tape, if you like. No, Ms. Peabody, that story will not do. You have 18 minutes left." With that, I got up and left via the anteroom door. Julia Rodriguez followed a few seconds later.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

My Police iPhone chimed. It was an email from Detectives Warner and Washington. "Says here," I said to Julia, "that they interviewed the sound man. He was asked to re-check a couple of the stations, but found them to be okay. He said the person that asked him was an aide to Kelly Carnes, but he doesn't know her name..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The 'Point Taken' show was interrupted by a screen that said "BREAKING NEWS!" A second later, Bettina Wurtzburg appeared.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News, simulcasting with KSB News!" the redheaded MILF reporterette shouted from the road that led to the Fairgrounds, with the side of Police Headquarters behind her. "We have a huge development in the case of the murder of journalist Louella Hopper!"

Bettina: "Trusted reporter Tim Sioban was talking with Ms. Hopper at the moment she died. He has reported under oath that Louella Hopper told him that the Federal Government had confirmed to her that Commander Donald Troy was and is illegally in possession of the papers known as 'McGinty's Materials', and that she feared being harmed or killed by Don Troy to prevent her from publishing that information!"

"We have with us Tim Sioban in the City!" shouted Bettina. Tim Sioban came up on a split screen, looking smug and sanctimonious. "Tim, give us the true facts of this case!"

"Hi Bettina!" said Sioban. "As I told the SBI, the last words Louella Hopper said were that she feared being murdered by Donald Troy, after Federal Authorities confirmed that Troy was illegally in possession of McGinty's Materials, which are papers amassed by Private Investigator and former City Police Detective Bundy McGinty."

"Tim, is the SBI investigating Donald Troy now?" asked Bettina.

"I sure hope so, Bettina!" said Sioban. "I wouldn't put anything past Donald Troy, and he needs to be suspended while the investigation of him is ongoing..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Time's up." I said, coming back into Interrogation-A. I had seen Bettina and Sioban's report, and knew Sioban was lying... and also knew I really might be suspended. So time was of the essence.

"What I said was true." said Jenny Peabody. "But she had two bottles. She gave me one of them and I took it in and put it at Mr. Goldman's seat."

"Okay, I'm done with you." I said, standing up then yelling angrily: "I don't have time to get the truth from you bit-by-bit, like pulling teeth! You're not telling me the truth! There is no immunity deal, and we'll be investigating your connections to Dr. Carmela and the CFPA."

"Wait!" Jenny cried out as I turned away. "Okay, I'll tell you everything."

"Who was she?" I thundered. "Don't tell me you didn't know her. Who was she?"

"I don't know her name, I really don't." said Jenny. "But she works for the guy who Daniel Allgood stole the election from, Mr. Weaver."

My phone rang. It was Britt Maxwell...

Part 16 - Standing Recused

2:00pm, Thursday, July 18th. SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell came into the Main Conference Room at Police Headquarters, joining Town & County Inspector Horace S. Wellman and Chief Moynahan. SBI Agent Terence Johnson came in a moment later, and began setting up the camera equipment as Britt talked to Wellman and Moynahan.

I was in my office with my three Angels and my mother. They looked a lot more worried than I felt.

"No, I don't think that's what Louella Hopper said to Sioban." I said in reply to Cindy's question. "This is all orchestrated. I realized this morning, when Bettina didn't mention Sioban at all, that something was up, and now we know what it was."

"Britt agrees with you." said Cindy. "She said that Gwen Munson went to visit Sioban this morning. Obviously, she'd never tell him what to say out loud, in case someone was listening when they weren't supposed to. But she had him read a piece of paper. The cameras tried to focus on what the paper said, but Sioban was canny enough to keep it folded so there was no good footage of it. And of course they couldn't search Munson's briefcase, so that paper is probably destroyed by now."

"Are they going to suspend you for this?" Tanya asked.

"No." I said. "The Press rabidly attacked the Governor at his press conference this morning, and he said he was not going to suspend me for something a 'dishonest' journalist said. And Chief Moynahan has already told me and the Sheriff that he has no thoughts of suspending me."

"However..." I said with emphasis, "I expect that I will have to recuse myself from the Hopper murder investigation completely, and be unable to help on it. I'd already done that, but I'll have to do it publicly and formally. And Mom, you probably will also have to be recused, as I'm likely going to have to tell them what you told me Monday night about Louella wanting to meet you and Elsie."

"That helps you, doesn't it?" Teresa asked. "Would Louella plan to meet Elsie and your mother to tell your mother of all people that she, Louella, feared you murdering her?"

"That's a saving grace for me." I said. "But to me the real problem is that Sioban and Bettina are using this as a chance to say I have McGinty's Materials as often and as publicly as they can. They are truly trying to get me murdered."

I saw the looks on Teresa and Cindy's faces. "Don't say it out loud." I warned them, knowing what they were thinking: my death guaranteed Bettina's death, and it would simply be a race to see which of them got to Bettina first.

"Okay, I won't say anything out loud." Teresa said, nodding her head firmly.

My phone rang. After taking it, I hung up and said "Okay, I'm being called into the Conference Room..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Do you want a lawyer or a Union Rep?" asked Britt Maxwell as I came into the Main Conference Room.

"Do I need one?" I asked. Britt gave me a 'look'. I then said "Let the Chief stay as my witness." Britt agreed to that. We sat down and Britt read me my considerable rights from the card. She then had the camera started up, and made introductory remarks about what was taking place.

"Okay," she said, "Where were you Monday evening, July 15th, from 9:00pm until midnight?"

"At home." I said. "My mother came to visit, and cooked dinner for my family. Paulina Patterson and Tasha were there with me, my wife, my mother, and my children."

Britt asked "Did you know before the murder and the subsequent investigation that Louella Hopper was going to publish a column about you knowing where McGinty's Materials were or are?"

"No." I said.

"Had you ever met Louella Hopper?" Britt asked.

"Not to my knowledge." I replied.

"Did you know prior to Monday night that Louella Hopper was coming to the University?" Britt asked.

"No, not prior to Monday night." I replied.

"Prior to the murder," Britt asked, "were you aware of any issues with Louella Hopper?"

"Just this one." I said. "My mother told me she had come to Town to meet with Elsie Gringer and Louella Hopper the next morning for breakfast. My mother told me that Louella had said she wanted to meet with Elsie and, quote, 'the Iron Crowbar's mother', unquote. My mother can make her own statement on that, of course."

"Of course." said Britt. "So to clarify: you did not know Louella Hopper was in Town or would be in Town prior to your mother telling you, you had no knowledge or idea that Louella was going to publish a column with information about you, is that correct?"

"That is correct." I said.

Once the formal interview was over and the camera turned off, Britt said "I don't think there's anything here to suggest you be put on restricted duty, much less suspended. But you probably should recuse yourself from the Hopper case, and probably anything directly related to it."

"Consider that done." said Chief Moynahan.

"I agree." I said. "In fact, I want you to be witnesses to something."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

All of the Detectives, their Lieutenants, and the Captain of Detectives were called into Classroom 'J' for an announcement. I went to the front of the room.

"Okay," I said, "I am being recused from the Louella Hopper murder case, particularly since the Press is trying hard to make me the prime suspect. I have turned over all of my notes and and any information I have to Captain Perlman, and I am no longer available for any discussion of it. Additionally, Auxiliary Detective Phyllis Troy is no longer officially on the case. I will add that this is, and has always been, a primarily State investigation, and I am recusing myself from the case as SBI Reserve Inspector, as well. Okay, get out there and kick butt."

"If I may, Commander," Tanya Perlman said, "I'd like all the Detectives to stay here after you leave."

"Sure." I said. "Chief, do you have anything for them?"

"Only that I have full confidence that this outstanding group of Detectives will be able to get the job done in Commander Troy's absence." said the Chief.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Britt Maxwell and Cindy Ross joined me in my office after we left the Detective meeting. Britt connected to my television monitor and showed us the interview with Sioban in Westphalia. "Needless to say," Britt said, "all charges against Sioban have been dropped."

"Oh yeah, it's clear as a crystal bell." I said. "Sioban is lying out his wazoo. I agree that Gwen Munson's paper she gave him had the talking points on them, Sioban played his part and said what he was told to say, and elements of the Media, particularly the KSB/KXTC cabal, are using this to attack me with everything they have."

Cindy said "In a Machiavellian kind of way, that really wasn't a bad plan by the Media. No way we can prove Sioban is lying; the woman he's quoting is dead and can't confirm a bit of it. They're all but accusing you of being the murderer, they've already got you recused from the case, and Bettina and Sioban were working as hard as they could to get you outright suspended. It also gives them a chance to take cheap shots at the Governor for not suspending you based upon their own vague suspicions."

I said "I love the way the Governor fired back at them, saying he didn't trust Sioban's word. I wonder if Sheriff Griswold advised him on that."

Cindy said "Don, you may be missing my point. This whole thing... was very Consultant-'ish'. Someone put this thing together, and brilliantly, to make a strong attack on you."

Her words struck me. "Yeah..." I said, my voice barely above a whisper, "you're right. Now who in the world has the brains to put that together? Sure as hell not Bettina, nor anyone at KXTC or KSB. Yeah, there's a... Shadow Hand here..."

I came out of it. "Okay, the good news is that this gives me time to get the paperwork done, and also work on the Town & County Charter."

"And that's yet another thing." Cindy said. "I'm hearing grumblings about your going after the Boards of Inquiry."

"From who?" I asked.

"Sources." said Cindy meaningfully. "I'm just tryin' to tell ya... you may have touched a third rail with that one..."

Part 17 - Ambush

The food was exceptionally good; if I didn't know better, I'd say Pops made a special effort to impress us.

The Charter Commission was meeting in the 'Command Room' of the Irish Pub, a.k.a. the Cop Bar. It was not a particularly busy night, and I suspected many Police Officers either stayed away or called it an early night since their Police Commander was in the back room.

As we ate, we discussed J.P. Goldman's health; he had been released from the hospital, but was still weak. Edward R. Steele told me that Mr. Goldman was also very angry at the attack upon him, and I said he'd be even angrier when he found out what I'd learned about Jenny Peabody's statement of who had been involved.

As we were finishing up, Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Williams spoke up. "Don," he said, "I've been talking Charter stuff with my people since almost the beginning, getting input and also informing others of what we've been doing. So far, the response has been pretty good; sometimes indifferent, but sometimes very positive."

Rev. Williams continued: "But for the first time, I got some really negative feedback, and it was about the Board of Inquiry. Reginald B.F. Lewis made a point to call me about it, and he is very unhappy with the idea of doing away with the BOI. Eldrick X. Weaver also called, and while he wasn't as... passionate... as Lewis about it, he said that many of our people consider the BOI one of the only barriers to Police brutality against People of Color." That made me a bit wide-eyed as I looked at him.

"And he may be right, Don." said Rev. Williams. "But more than that, someone is behind the scenes, stirring up the masses about it. I've had everyone from my barber to my choir director telling me that it would be a real shame if the BOI were done away with. And there's even been some scuttlebutt that your attempts to reform the whole process is actually just an attempt to protect the Police from scrutiny. And that was the first negative thing I've heard about you since this Charter process started."

"We're still going to be scrutinized." I said. "By the way, did anyone mention any specific names on the BOI?"

"Someone did to me." said Edna Carter. "Silas. One of my fellow teachers said that he thought Mr. Silas was doing such a good job on the Board of Inquiry, and standing up to you and the Police. This fellow teacher is pretty active in politics, and he's said in the past that Mr. Silas has become more active in the political affairs of the Black Community for the last few years."

I nodded. "Interesting. I got word of that, too... that I might be touching the third rail of County politics by messing with the BOI."

Edward Steele said "If I may give you guys some history on this..." We all nodded and settled in to listen as Steele began: "The Boards of Inquiry started as a tool for the Council to have more oversight of the various institutions of County Government. The Public Safety Department, especially the Police, was a big part, but the Council wanted a quick means of oversight of everything from the Library System to the Schools to things like Roads & Bridges, something separate from the Board of Commissioners and their ilk."

Steele: "It was sold to us as a Citizens' Oversight Board, but that was a sham from the beginning. The Mayor was given the power to name people to the Board's pool of citizens, which had both good and bad effects. In the day of a more civil Council that worked harder to get things done than to impose their own political wills, the Boards worked well, and took care of the business the Council didn't really have time for."

"But that ended, and I won't get into the weeds of why." said Steele. "I'll just tell you guys this: the Council really became dependent on the Board of Inquiry, and has come to use and rely on it to enforce political policy, especially when it comes to the Police. The BOI has become a tool of political power more than an oversight body. And I'll be a bit partisan in saying that certain Council Members, all of whom happen to be Democrats, have been behind that, especially with certain BOI members."

Steele: "You guys may be hearing Silas's name, but it's Finneran that they're trying to protect. That guy is is full-blown nutjob, but Reginald Lewis, Kelly Carnes, and to some degree Malinda Adams really support him, because he deeply hates the Police and will do their dirty work tearing down the Police Force for them. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnes and her cabal are behind all the chatter about the BOI."