Casting Aspersions Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Waiting in my parking spot (oh yes! it is soooooo good to be the Police Commander!) was my new ride. Painted silver-gray like most other TCPD vehicles, the SUV was the newest year's model.

"Ah, that new car smell!" I said happily as I opened the driver's side door and admired the dark gray interior, including leather seats. The vehicle had the laptop computer on the dash, new radio technology, hands-free telephonic technology. There was a bit less room in back, but everything was compartmentalized better. I sat down in the driver's seat, and was immensely grateful to feel the lumbar support.

"The engine is a powerhouse. It rivals the Black Beauty." said Cindy. "The armor is even better than your last vehicle. Newer technology materials in the body and doors, military-grade stuff, so I'm told, but lighter than previous materials. The windows are also the newest stuff, and rated even higher than the your previous ones. And there is more roof armor. The underside is allegedly capable of surviving an IED blast, but please don't test it!" Everyone laughed.

"Wow." I said, getting out. "This is great. Everyone, have a look." As everyone admired the SUV, I said to Cindy "You didn't leave the price sticker on the back window."

"And you don't want to see it." growled Chief Moynahan. "Insurance paid most of it, but I still had to authorize an amount that would in itself buy a small carrrrrrr."

"I certainly appreciate it." I said. "And you got it so fast."

Cindy said "I sure did. I'll sleep better at night knowing you're protected on the road again." I realized just how much she was worried for my safety.

"And don't worry about the cost." growled Sheriff Griswold as he came up. "It's worth every freekin' penny. And we're budgeted for two more just like it. Who do you think should get them, Crowbar?"

"I've learned from you how to kiss ass, Sheriff." I said. "So I'd say one of them should go to Chief Moynahan.

"You're as smart as I've hearrrrrd." said Moynahan humorously. "And the other?"

"Your best looking Detective!" called out Joanne Warner. Banter ensued, some of which should not be repeated in this family environment.

"My best looking Detective is my daughter Carole, though of course I'm biased about that." I said. "But she's not old enough to drive. So... who's the most vulnerable? The Deputy Chief or the Captain of Operations?"

"I'll fight her in the boxing ring for it." Teresa said. "With or without crowbars."

"And you will lose." Cindy said with alacrity. "With or without crowbars."

So, dear readers... who got it?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm. The Charter Commission gathered in the public Council Chamber. We expected a capacity crowd and then some, but to our surprise the room was only about three-fourths full.

I gaveled the meeting into order, and said "Thank you for coming. This is the last of the Charter Commission hearings on specific subjects. The Commission will get together and work out our draft proposal, then have general hearings on those, then make our final submission. Tonight's hearing is on a proposal for an elected School Board, separate from all other Boards and the Town & County Council. Commission member Edna Carter, herself an educator, will now make our initial proposal."

"Thank you, Chairman Troy." Edna said, starting up her Powerpoint presentation. She went through the numbers of the current school system, then moved into what we were proposing: "First of all," she said, "we are beholden to State Law in what we can do. The State limits the school taxation rate, and we will not specify numerical rates in the Charter, but the Town Assembly will set those rates, as it sets all other rates of taxation in the County."

Edna Carter: "The previous way of doing things was that the Board of Commissioners served as the School Board and many other boards. Their divisions were not related in any way to the school districts. The school districts have not been even nor equal, as they were cobbled together from the previous Town school system and County school system, with Booker T. Washington High originally being in the Town system. While Town High has students that are outside the Town City Limit, and BTW High has students from all over the southside, the distribution needs to be more equalized."

Carter: "And the unequal district lines have led to an inequitable per-student spending rate that has drawn the ire of the U.S. Department of Education and the State Education Authority. Therefore, one tenet of the new Charter will be that revenue will be distributed on a per-student basis from the overall revenue pool. And now I'll ask Chairman Troy to address the situation with the districts."

"Thank you, Mrs. Carter," I said, "and to everyone I'd like to say that Edna Carter's work on this part of the Charter has been outstanding, and indispensable." There was some applause from the audience, then I began: "We have what I would call a circular argument, here. In order to set reasonable boundaries for the School Board districts, with one representative on the School Board per district, we have to know what the new school districts will look like. But it's not really our job to set the districts... that's for the School Board to do."

I continued: "So, with the aid of computer technology, we're going to set the school district boundaries just one time, then make the School Board districts. And from then on, the School Board can adjust District boundaries without requiring a Charter change or a popular vote. In accordance with this, we have determined that the three current high schools are meeting the needs of our students, and those three sectors are the starting basis for the districts..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I felt like we had not done a good job explaining what we were doing, and that was quickly borne out by the sharp, if not hostile, questions we received.

One of the first persons to speak was the Rep of the NEA, the powerful Teachers Union. "We strongly oppose the Town Assembly setting the millage rate for the schools." he said as he stood before us in his $5000 suit. "We firmly believe the School Board should set the millage rate, and expect for that to be the case."

"Expect?" I said acidly. "You're aware of the form of that sentence?"

"Of course." said the NEA Rep.

"Proceed to support it." I said.

"I beg your pardon." said the Rep.

"Proceed to support your expectation." I said. "Or more accurately, how you are going to enforce that expectation."

"We're the NEA, the Teacher's Union." said the Rep. "That should be enough for you to understand."

"I guess it's not enough, then." I said. What followed was an 'awkward silence' moment as the Union Rep and myself engaged in a 'blink' contest.

I won, as the Rep said "You do realize how powerful we are? When we set your expectations, it is our expectation that they be met."

"I can't speak for anyone else in this room." I said. "But you have no power over me... nor the People of this County at the ballot box."

The Union Rep looked shocked for a moment; I don't think he ever expected (there's that word again) to be challenged on anything he dictated. Then he regained his composure and said "We'll see about that... at the ballot box." He left the podium.

Then a resident of Teresa's 'favorite' Homeowner's Association, that of the Heritage Cloisters, got up. "So those of us in the northern County are paying more in school taxes, but getting less for our schools in return?" he asked, his voice sarcastic and unfriendly.

"You're getting the same amount per student in the schools as every other school in the County." said Edna Carter.

"So 'From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.', eh?" the man snarled.

"Why do you have such a problem with a fair and equitable distribution of the tax revenue?" Edna Carter asked, and I detected a hint of anger in her voice.

"Because I'm paying one hell of a lot more money in school taxes than people in other districts!" the man said, his voice becoming angry, as well. "And therefore, the schools my children go to should be getting a greater share of the money, like it is now!"

I stood up, taking the microphone at my station with me. "Okay, let's keep this calm and civil. Sir, I understand your position, but there is simply nothing that is going to please all of the people all of the time. The current way is extremely inequitable to children in poorer districts. And yes, it's inequitable for you to pay more because you're in a home deemed more expensive than others."

I continued: "And what's worse... if a single person without children or a childless couple buys a home, which I'm told is the American Dream... they have to pay school taxes when they're not using the service at all. That's always annoyed me as being unfair, but Life is unfair, and it is what it is. And people who want to send their children to private school? They can certainly do so, but if they own property they are paying the public school tax."

Your Iron Crowbar: "The bottom line is that basic education should be the best we can possibly give our children, and in as fair and equitable a manner as we can provide it." That drew strong applause from many persons there, who I knew were from the poorer districts. Some others booed; I'd bet they were voters in Kelly Carnes's district.

There were humorous moments. One woman in her twenties got up to the podium and said "Can you write it into the Charter to force County High School to change their mascots? It's soooo embarrassing to be the 'Falcons', and associated with the Atlanta Falcons." There was laughter at that, and also some applause... from the aforementioned voters in Kelly Carnes's district.

I laughed, then said "I have to say that I feel very sorry for the good people of Atlanta, Georgia, who must endure the shame and humiliation of having the loser Atlanta Falcons as their pro football team. However, it is beyond the scope of the Charter Commission to involve ourselves in the naming of the mascots, whatever those names may be..."

And one middle-aged woman got up and said "Is three high schools enough? Are there any plans to add a fourth high school?"

Edward Steele replied: "As of now, there is not. And that will ultimately be for the new School Board and the Town Assembly to decide. We do intend to write the Charter in a way that will be flexible and scaleable to meet the needs of our Citizens in the future..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the meeting was over, I treated the other Commission members to a late-night (well, 10:30pm-ish) dinner at the Applebee's at the Mall. We had a table for six in the back corner.

"How do you guys think that went?" I asked after our food had arrived.

"Lousy." said Edna Carter.

"I agree." said Savannah Fineman. "I'm not sure what I expected, but it felt like we really stirred up a hornet's nest, and created some opposition that might not have been there before."

"It's a no-win situation, and always has been." said Edward R. Steele. "I think the vast majority of people want a School Board instead of the old Board of Commissioners running things, but after that it simply boils down to where you live and how much you're paying in taxes."

"I have to admit, Don," said Rev. Joseph E. Williams, who was finally accepting my repeated invitations to call me by my first name, "I didn't expect that speech from you about the equity of the situation."

"I'm afraid to ask what you did expect." I said, meaning it humorously. "But I've always told people I'm not a Democrat, and I'm not a Republican either. And without quality basic education, there is no hope for equality of opportunity in this country----"

Just then, four rather rough looking men approached our table. "Are you Don Troy?" one of them asked menacingly.

"Who wants to know?" I said as I quickly stood up, the red crowbar coming with me.

"You disrespected our NEA Rep tonight." the man snarled. "We don't appreciate that."

"Oh really?" I said witheringly. The red crowbar was now being tapped into the palm of my hand.

"You're going to apologize to him, and then do exactly what the NEA tells you to do about the School Board." one of the other men said, trying to make his voice sound venomous.

"Harumph!" I said. "And how are you thugs going to make me do that? Hell, it's only four against one. Easy peasy... for me."

"Four against three, Batman!" said a voice behind the men. Everyone looked over to see the Green Crowbar, Cindy Ross standing there, wielding... a green crowbar. Next to her was the Iron Wolf, Teresa Croyle... who did not carry nor need a crowbar.

"And boy! is it going to hurt!" Teresa snarled, the look on her face being my first clue that someone was about to get hurt.

The lead thug turned to me. "Wise up, asshole, or you're the one that's going to get hurt--- awk!"

I had thrust the rounded end of my crowbar up under the man's chin, into the soft part of lower jaw and neck. Next to it, I put my badge at his eye level.

"Go back to your Rep," I said, staring down hard at him, "and tell him that he ain't shit to me."

"Shall we begin making arrests, Commander?" Teresa asked, eager to begin making arrests.

"It's up to them." I said, my eyes boring into the lead thug's.

"Let's get out of here." the man snarled. As they filed past Cindy, one of them turned back and said "You'll regret this."

"I doubt it." I said. The men left. "Ladies," I said to Cindy and Teresa, "would you care to join us for some dessert?"

"Don't mind if I do." said Teresa. Cindy nodded vigorously in agreement.

As we sat down, I saw how shocked the other four Commission members were. "My God." said Edna Carter. "The NEA can be the biggest bullies you ever saw, but I never expected anything like that!"

"They're not going to intimidate Don." said Edward Steele. "Especially after he survived that attack on his vehicle the other night."

I smiled, then said "I was more worried about protecting the four of you than anything else. Do be careful, and if anyone tries to harass or threaten you in any way, let me know immediately."

"How did you two ladies know to be here?" asked Rev. Williams.

"They're my Guardian Angels." I said, with a smile born of pride.

"And we're his bodyguards until he gets home." said Teresa. "By order of the County Sheriff..."

Part 23 - Wrap-Up

Tuesday, July 30th. SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell was in Town, so she came by my office. She accepted a cup of Jerome's 'Navy' coffee, and pronounced it better than the 'weak' stuff a certain Police Commander used to make.

"I'm not sure what Director Goodwin is going to do about Agent Porter." Britt said. "He lawyered up, and he refused to help us find that P.I. 'Rocky' that was with him the night of Louella Hopper's death. He and the Union are maintaining that he did nothing wrong to warrant termination, so it's going to be a long, tough slog to go through the process of firing him, and then he'll probably sue. Why is it so freaking hard to fire bad people, but they can demand you be suspended just for being the object of Louella's attention in her column?"

"I dunno." I said. "I've long since stopped trying to figure out things like that. My advice is to just do it: can his ass, and fight the fight with all you've got."

"That's my advice, too." said Britt. "I'm not sure what's keeping the Director from doing the obvious thing. Anyway, Agent Terence Johnson has really made a name for himself in the Hopper investigation, but unfortunately it is looking unlikely that we'll be making any arrests for her murder. Unless you'd like to volunteer to confess."

"No thank you." I said. "But yes, Johnson did very well. As did Campus Police Detective Tarleton."

Britt said "We're talking to him about joining the SBI. And to that point, Director Goodwin is talking about reconstituting the SIS division. The Hopper case is showing that the SBI's divisions really don't adequately cover plain old crimes like murder. What do you think of that?"

I said "I talked to Director Goodwin the other day, and he said the same thing to me. I just suggested a different name. Maybe 'VCD', for 'violent crimes division'. The only problem I have with it is the original problem between the SBI and local LEOs: while in this case the SBI taking the lead in the case worked out, there were a lot of times in the past where the SBI ran roughshod over local jurisdictions, and memories of that are long and unpleasant."

I continued: "As to Tarleton... Captain Perlman is very aware that we will have an opening for an MCD Detective, and she was observing Tarleton and his good work with that in mind. And she'd worked with him in the past. So don't be surprised if we fight you for him."

"Oh?" asked Britt. "Not promoting from within? From Vice?"

"Maybe, but I dunno." I said. "Some of those guys are better suited for Vice than MCD. And it's also about matchups, who partners well with who."

Britt nodded, then said: "We also formally interviewed T-Square about Louella's 'information' that T-Square was involved in the Lester Holder beating. He said he was in his office at his club 'Rhythms & Rap', and was vouched for by T-Mac, T-Mac's girl Gloria, and his Regiment. Big circle of people giving each other alibis, and all of them full of shit, but we'll never break through on that."

"No, you won't." I said. "And I for one have absolutely no interest in the solution of that crime. Lester Holder got what was coming to him. I'm only sorry I didn't get to do that to him myself."

"You do realize you're talking to a State Agent?" Britt asked, meaning it humorously.

"Oh yes." I said. "Going to leak that to Bettina?"

"I'll borrow Cindy's crowbar and beat you down silly for even suggesting that." Britt said with a grin. Then she said "Oh yeah, there is one other thing I found out that might interest you. You remember Dr. Gloria Searles?"

"Sure." I said, remembering the gorgeous doctor had died in the 'Medical Murder Mystery' case.

Britt said "We were doing a routine check on Dr. Richard Searles and Mia McNamara, and someone in our data department had the bright idea to check into his late wife Gloria. Turns out she was adopted at birth."

"O-kayyyyy." I said, wondering where this was going.

Britt continued: "We got a warrant to check the adoption records, saying we were compiling a list of possible suspects in the Hopper case, and the judge actually granted it. What we found out was that her birth mother gave her up at birth... and that her identical twin sister also had been given up to a separate family at birth."

"Oh, wowwww." I said. "I don't suppose you know who the twin is?"

"We do now." said Britt. "She was also named 'Gloria'. She married a man named 'Gresham', who is the son of the 'Gresham' of Gresham & Mason, P.C. Her husband is not with that law firm, he's a doctor. And like her twin sister, Gloria Gresham is also a doctor in private practice. They were in Atlanta, but a year ago they moved to the State east of us, and are on Staff at Eastern State University Hospital."

"Does Richard Searles know about his late wife's twin sister?" I asked.

"Not that we know of... and we haven't asked yet." Britt said. "Think we should?"

"If you thought it might have anything to do with Louella Hopper's death, you should." I replied. "By the way... just how did Dr. Richard Searles meet Mia McNamara?"

Britt told me the story of Benny Black asking Todd to ask Laura to ask Dr. Searles to talk to Mia about being a cardiologist. 'Days of Promise' has nothing on my Town & County for real drama, dontcha know.

"So... not that it's any of my business," I said "but are you dating anyone these days?"