Cat's In The Cradle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't think I'm in real danger, and I love the NCPD." said Molly. "And Tom Conlan has already tried to hire me into the SBI."

"We'll see about the new SUV for you." said Todd. "Or is there something you need more?" That got Molly to thinking.

Todd said "You haven't been up here since last year, have you, Uncle Don?" When I said I hadn't, Todd said "I think you're going to like the changes. By the way, I rented the Bed & Breakfast at your house for the weekend and through Tuesday. So you can stay in your old room, if you like."

"Sounds like a plan." I said, curious to see what changes had been made to the house since I'd rented it to my classmate Renée to run as a B&B.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Pulling up to my childhood home, I noticed that it still looked pretty much like it did when I was growing up: Wood siding, painted white, with dark gray roof and awnings. There was a sign out front that read 'The Troy House' and under it 'Bed & Breakfast'. There were numerous rocking chairs on the screened-in front porch, and small tables and chairs on the porch around the side.

When one entered the front door of my house when I was growing up, the dining room was to the right and the living room was to the left, the kitchen to the right rear, the game/play room in the back middle, and the den that was really my father's office in the back left corner.

The first thing I noticed was that the front door had one of those keycard entry systems like most hotel rooms. When we went inside, the old living room had been converted to a dining room, with six tables each seating four persons. The old dining room had been closed off and was now the Office, with the top of the door to the entrance foyer service as the check-in window.

"Hi Don." said Renée as we came in. Renée was medium height and blonde. In school she'd been on the chubby side. Today, she was still on the chubby side, but not as much as I'd thought she would be. She came out into the hallway and hugged me, then Todd. "Hi Todd. And who are these handsome young men?"

"This is Jim, Ross, Ian, and Mike And this is Molly Ross, Ian and Ross's mother." I said, introducing Molly to Renée, telling Molly that Renée had been a high school classmate of mine. After the introductions we checked in, with Todd and Mike getting the master bedroom with it's king-size bed, whose window overlooked the backyard. Molly and I would be in my old room in the front corner, with a queen-size bed, and Ian, Ross, and Jim would be in Elizabeth's old room with a queen-size bed and a cot.

I noted the changes to the rooms. The walls were painted neutral colors, and had basic furniture. Growing up, my room and Elizabeth's room had a Jack-and-Jill bathroom: separate vanities and toilets, and a shared bathtub/shower room. That common bath had been taken out, and each bedroom had its own shower now. And the hallway doors were replaced with heavy doors and the keycard entry system on each. The master bedroom also was re-done with neutral color paint, basic furniture, and a keycard system on the door.

"Business is good." Renée said to me as she and I talked in the Office while the others got settled in. "With the new businesses coming in, we get rented out every weekend, and often for an entire week. Usually one company rents out all the rooms, but occasionally we have separate reservations. If the dining room is not full, we'll take dinner reservations, so it's rare when we're not full for dinner. We've also had some groups rent the dining room for an evening for catered dinners."

"Sounds great." I said. "Looks like you've got a good operation going on. So how's Apple Grove and Fillmore County doing?"

"Growing." said Renée. "Apple Grove used to be about 10,000 people, then dropped to 2000 as people moved to Rome or out of this area entirely. Now we think it'll be over 5000 at the next Census. Rome has grown some, as well. And Providence Springs is still mostly black, but has grown a lot, as well. Springer, up there in the northwest corner, hasn't grown at all, and apparently they're jealous: they're still trying to get the State to redraw the county lines to put them in the county to our north."

"Hmm, that's curious." I said. "Okay, show me around the place."

The kitchen had been remodeled to allow more industrial-sized cooking equipment and stoves. The old library no longer had my father's desk (that was now mine); it now had chairs and television sets, and newspapers and magazines, and was wired for computer and internet use. The old game room was now the breakfast dining room, which could be used for additional or overflow seating for dinner.

"Okay, you boys ready to go see your grandma?" I asked. "Great-grandma to Mike..." An enthusiastic chorus of boys, big and small, agreed.

Part 4 - Cats In the Cemetery

"And it's almost finished." my mom Phyllis said as we went through the unfinished condo building, one of several that would be part of the complex. Another section to the north had 'cottages', which were homes of various sizes from two-bedroom to four-bedroom. "It has a dining facility, and that building over there is the medical complex. Basic facilities, and also where people who need it can be in hospice care."

"Like Mrs. Griswold." I said sadly.

"In some ways, son," my mother said, "it was fortunate that she passed on before things got... too bad. It would've taken years off Sheriff Griswold's life if he'd tried to take care of her by himself as she deteriorated. And for some, they may live for years with Alzheimer's."

Even though what she said was harsh, I knew what my mother was saying was correct. I adroitly changed the subject: "Tell me about this new lake, Mom." I said, referring to the expanse of water that my mother's condo overlooked.

"Oh yes." my mother said "As you know, Apple Grove Creek flows north to south along the east side of town. Fillmore Creek runs further west, and they merge with the creek that forms the county's western border somewhere south of our county. Well, they dammed Fillmore County; you can see the dam over there." I looked to our left, seeing the works of the dam in the distance to our south.

My mother continued: "The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built that dam, and then they drilled down into the aquifer. They're controlling the access points to the aquifer, so that it doesn't get overused. The dam creates electricity and the new water purification plant is there, as well."

"Wow, nice." I said. "And they did it so fast."

"When the Big Boy corporations want something done," my mother said, "they seem to be able to get it done. Not that I'm complaining; I'll have this wonderful view for the rest of my years, and this town will finally have some life in it. I honestly wondered if Apple Grove would die before I would."

"As young as you are, Mom," I said, "it probably would have. So... why did you want me to come up?"

"For three reasons, son." Phyllis said. "First, to see the new Bed & Breakfast that once was our home. They've done a really good job with it."

"I agree." I said.

"Second," my mother said, "they are having a Labor Day celebration tomorrow, that includes naming and dedicating the Dam and the Lake. They're going to name the dam after Junior Biggs, who Sheriff Spalding murdered, and whose son became a Deputy Sheriff. I'd like for you to attend the ceremony with me."

"That sounds good." I said.

"And third," said my mother, "you should go visit the local Police Department. They've been dealing with some things that might be of interest to you."

"Strangenesses." I said. "Sounds like fun."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

While my mother and Todd gave the boys the grand tour of Apple Grove, Molly and I went downtown. The diner that had used to be on the Square was no longer there. It was now in the building behind the one on the Square, and the diner was much larger now, and busier.

It was late Sunday morning, and most people were in church, so when we went into the diner it was not at peak capacity yet. Looking around, I saw the people I was looking for.

"Well, hey Donny Troy!" said the Police Chief as we came up to their table. Chief Donny Hall got up and we exchanged a man-hug. Then I hugged Captain Leanne Wisocky warmly, then man-hugged Deputy Sheriff Tyrone Biggs.

"Everyone, this is Chief Molly Evans of the Nextdoor County Police." I said. "Their county is next to mine."

"Oh, I remember hearing your name." said Leanne. "You were wounded in the school shooting weren't you?"

"Yes, that's me." Molly said. Leanne gave Molly a warm hug.

"That was so awful." Leanne said. "Why don't you guys go get some brunch, then come have a seat."

Molly and I went through the brunch line. She came back with one plate of food; I came back with two. "You always did eat a lot, Donny." said Donny Hall. "Wish I could do that and stay fit like you."

"Heh." I said. "I keep in shape running for my life, and running after my kids. By the way, Leanne... I had this very bad dream that you were leaving Apple Grove Law Enforcement. Please tell me that's not true."

"No, far from it." Leanne said. "In fact, my husband turned down a promotion that would've forced him to move away, so that I could stay here."

"What she's not telling you," said Donny Hall, "is that Sheriff Greenwood is retiring, and I'm running unopposed to replace him as Sheriff in November. And you might just have to come up here around New Years Day, when Captain Wisocky becomes 'Chief' Wisocky."

"Oh, that's awesome!" I said enthusiastically.

"And I'll accept any references you send me for new Officers." Leanne said. "The town is growing faster than we are, and we need to hire people to catch up."

"I'll let the Police Academy in my County know," I said, "so cadets there can apply."

"And speaking of needing Detectives," Leanne said with a grin, "we've been tempted to call you and have you bring your daughter up. We've had some strange crimes going on up here."

"Oh?" I asked. "What kind of crimes?"

"Vandalism, mostly." Leanne said. "Some tombstones in the cemetery were damaged. Two were destroyed, as if someone took a sledgehammer to them. But several others looked like someone took a small hammer and chisel to them, and took out small chips. And the mausoleum where your father is entombed had some chipping on the side and the back, but barely visible unless you look for it."

"And then we got reports of vandalism all over Apple Grove." said Chief Hall. "Buildings being chipped at. Fillmore Middle School, which used to be Apple Grove High, got hit hard: someone went around outside and inside, all over the place, chipping at the concrete blocks and the walls. Funny thing, though, none of the new buildings going up in the last few months seem to have been hit. Just older ones."

Deputy Biggs said "And it's not just here in Apple Grove; it's all over the county. Providence Springs still has a lot of paranoia about outsiders, so they observed a State survey crew come through. Afterwards people reported moderate damage to several buildings. And the Springer Police reported damage to their cemetery and older buildings."

"Interesting..." I said. And I would've fallen into a reverie if I had not been inundated with a barrage of boys, including Todd.

"Hey guys." I said as they came around the table. Ross was between me and Molly, and he said "Mommy, we saw where Daddy went to school!"

"That's good." Molly said as Leanne made observations.

I picked up Ross and sat him on my lap. "Hey Ross," I said, "this is Deputy Biggs, Captain Wisocky, and Chief Hall. Your sister Carole met them last year."

"They're Police like you and Mommy are, Daddy." Ross said. "Do you Police guys always hang out together?" Everyone chuckled as I told Ross that Police everywhere were like family, and that indeed we would hang out with them.

"Ross," said Leanne, "you are the spitting image of your daddy. Are you going to be like him when you grow up?"

"I hope so." said Ross. "But my sister Carole is going to be the next Iron Crowbar..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Deputy Biggs offered to drive me to see some of the damaged spots. As we drove in his car, he said "Your mom said you need a haircut. So why don't we go over to Providence Springs and get you one."

"Sure." I said, realizing that this was Tyrone's method of quietly getting me to the Barber of Providence Springs, who was like 'The Teacher' in my home County.

The barbershop was not open, but Biggs led me inside, where one man was waiting: the barber himself. "Have a seat, Iron Crowbar." he said. I did so, noticing that next to my official Police portrait underneath the portraits of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and President John F. Kennedy was a photo of me pinning Deputy Biggs's badge on him the year before. (Author's note: 'Return To Apple Grove', Ch. 02.)

"I'll be right outside." said Tyrone, stepping outside and leaving us alone.

"That young man has done very well." said the old barber. "Our children look up to him. He gives our people hope."

"I'm glad to hear that." I said.

"You give us hope, too, Iron Crowbar." said the barber as he trimmed my hair. "Must run in your family. Your nephew has done the right things. He's hiring blacks as well as whites. He's even hiring our people that were put in prison by Sheriff Spaulding on trumped-up charges, giving them a second chance. Can't say the other companies coming here are really doing that. BigAgraFoods brings in illegal aliens rather than hire blacks or whites."

"Sounds like a crackdown is in order." I said.

"Brother, this ain't your Town & County." said the man. "It's a lot better than it was, but money still talks and bullshit still runs the marathon. Everyone knows who's in charge, especially the local politicians getting their palms greased. But that's not what I need to tell you today."

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I'm not sure exactly what it is," said the barber, "but there's been a lot of strange people from outside our county coming in, looking around. They're dressed up as State workers, like survey people, but anyone with any eyesight and half a brain can tell they're up to something. We thought they were bugging the phone lines, and they may have, but there's something more to it."

"I've heard some scuttlebutt about vandalism around the county." I said. "Could that be related?"

"Could be. Could be." said the barber as he took the cloth off me. "All right, you're ready to go."

"Thanks." I said. I tried to pay him, but he would not hear of it.

"When I said it ran in your family," he said, "I meant your father, too. He was the only lawyer in this county that would defend blacks, and in a time when it could have been a detriment to his health to do so. He was the only one the Court would assign as a public defender that would actually represent blacks in Court; the others all flat out refused. And he really did try, even though the juries were all white and their minds made up already. I'm surprised no one went after him."

Memories were flooding my head, sounding like the crash of tumblers falling into place. "You know, I think they may have once." I said. "Tried to get to him through me. When I was in high school, four guys tried to jump me, but I beat 'em all back. After that, they left me alone."

"Heh heh heh." the barber laughed. " You was the Iron Crowbar before they knew what a crowbar was." I grinned, and as we shook hands, he said "I'll see you at the dedication ceremony tomorrow."

"Oh, you're going to be there?" I asked.

"Oh yes, wouldn't miss it." he said, and I caught the slightest hesitation before he said "They're naming the dam after Tyrone's dad, Junior Biggs... the one you avenged."

"Glad I could help." I said, as close to an admission of that as I'd ever made. "See you then..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Deputy Biggs drove me to Fillmore Middle School, once known as Apple Grove High School, to inspect some of the vandalism damage. Most of it had been done to concrete retaining walls that formed separations between the school grounds and the old football field.

Deputy Biggs said "It's mostly a lot of small holes, like someone drilled into the walls."

"Yes, you're right." I said. "You know, I don't remember some of these walls. And others were brick walls in the days I was here, 20 years or so ago."

"I remember that, too." said Biggs. "When we first started looking into this, someone told me that one of the brick walls began bulging out due to water drainage, and nearly collapsed. So they poured the concrete walls to reinforce the brick, and keep it from collapsing."

"When was that?" I asked.

"About 14-15 years ago." said Biggs. "You and I had gone off to college by then."

After looking around for a few minutes, I said "Okay, lets go see some other places."

We went to the cemetery. The smashed headstones had been replaced. I made a note of the names of the deceased, thinking I'd check them out for clues as to motive.

Other tombstones had chips in them, most of them fairly small and barely noticeable, but I noticed the tombstones were fairly large ones, and between 10 and 20 years old, judging by the death dates on them.

When we came to the mausoleum in back of the cemetery, I paused for a moment and pointed to the marble plate that showed where my father was entombed. Deputy Biggs took off his headgear in respect as I contemplated for a moment.

"They say in Providence Springs that your dad was one of the better people around here." said Biggs. "He would be a public defender for the blacks in Court, and nobody else would."

"I kind of knew that." I said. "But growing up, I didn't really think about it."

"He taught you right." said Biggs. "Like my daddy taught me right. He taught me not to hate. That's almost impossible to teach young blacks today."

"Yes." I said. "But as long as we keep trying, we shall overcome the hatred. Some day..."

After a moment, I said "Okay, let's look at the damage around the side. I can see that no one has opened any of these tombs from the front." I moved around to the side and saw a few small chips in the granite bricks, laid with cement not unlike a brick house. I looked around as I did.

"These chips look like bullets struck the granite from a distance." I said. "Any gun ranges to our west? Or any reason people would shoot guns in this direction?"

"No gun ranges." said Biggs. The Sheriff and Police used the range behind the Sheriff Department Headquarters, which is east of here, and facing south. We've had no reports of people shooting guns, either."

I nodded as I went around back, and it took every effort for me not to react with shock. Unlike the front and sides, the back of the mausoleum was tiled with a 3x3 matrix of 4' x 4' squares of sandstone, with 1-foot wide (and 4-foot-tall) tiles on the sides. The shock was that I remembered this from my recent 'dream' while being tortured! (Author's note: 'Secrets'.) And the tiles were not the wall, but covering the bricks that looked the same as the sides.

"Looks like someone drilled into this tile on the edge." I said, pointing to the small hole that had been filled with plaster. I pulled out my pocketknife and began digging at the plaster, and it came out easily. Deputy Biggs handed me his flashlight, and I shined it into the 3" deep hole."

"Hmm, nothing but more sandstone." I said. "There's another chip on this four-foot-by-four-foot tile, but it's like those on the side: very superficial." Deputy Biggs nodded.

There was about four feet of space between the back of the mausoleum and the back fence, which was wrought iron and about three and a half feet high. Shrubs were growing on the other side, with gaps in between.

"So on the other side of this fence is Inman Park?" I asked, remembering the park that had pavilions, grills, horseshoe pits, and some swingsets."