Cat's In The Cradle Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"May I, Commander?" Tanya Perlman asked. I nodded and she said "Dispersing the Detectives harms the Police Force, Mr. Lewis----"

"I didn't ask you, little girl." Lewis said. "I asked him-- wha?"

I had flown to my feet, and I was not alone. Teresa Croyle had risen with me. But she did not beat me to flying around the table.

"You fucking bastard!" I yelled as I grabbed Lewis by his shirt collars, turned him, and smashed the back of his head to the table. "If you EVER disrespect my Captain of Detectives like that again, I will KILL you!" I was pressing my fists into his neck. "Do you understand?" He couldn't answer, as I was choking him. "I SAID DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

"Crowbar!" shouted Sheriff Griswold, who had come around. "Let him go!" It still took him and Cindy to free Lewis from my clutches. I would later be told that the look in my eyes was of such hatred and fury that everyone really did think I was going to kill Lewis.

"What the fuck's gotten into you?" Lewis gasped. "Somebody arrest that bastard! I'm pressing charges."

"Lewis, you're lucky to be alive after what you just said." growled Griswold. "You try to press charges, and someone will finish the job. Maybe even me personally. This meeting is over."

With that, we Police Officers and the Sheriff gathered our things and left the room. Fire Marshal Zoe Singer made a point to follow us out.

"I saw that." said Battalion Chief Tucker, to Lewis. "If you call the SBI and press charges, I'll back you up all the way."

"I saw it, too." said Kelly Carnes. "I'll press my own charges."

"Didn't you hear the Sheriff?" Jack Colby said. "And all I saw and heard was Reginald Lewis making a sexist comment to a paraplegic."

"And after what that racist and misogynist Reginald Lewis said about Captain Perlman," said J.P. Goldman bitterly, "I'll press charges against youLewis, and your parole will be revoked."

"You bastard." Kelly Carnes snarled.

"Go fuck yourself, bitch." replied J.P. Goldman.

"Thanks, kid." said Lewis to Tucker. "But I'll handle it. I'll get that bastard back."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I appreciate the support, Commander. And you too, Teresa." said Tanya as we exited the Civic Center.

"Just don't get yourself in trouble, Crowbar." admonished the Sheriff.

"I haven't been that mad in a while." I said. "Anyway, I have to leave now. I'm already late."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I arrived at the ball fields in the northeast part of Ronald Reagan Park, about ten minutes after the game had started. As I came up, Ross said "Hey Jim, there's Dad!" Jim looked over with a 'whaa' open-mouthed look of surprise, which turned into a grin.

"Go get 'em, son!" I called out. As Jim took off down the field, I saw Laura in the middle of the bleachers, about halfway up. I went over to join her.

"Oh, hello Darling." she said, smiling. "I was afraid you weren't going to make it."

"I almost didn't." I said. "I walked out of the meeting... after beating up Reginald Lewis for making a sexist slur towards Tanya."

Just then everyone cheered as Jim kicked the ball into the net. Laura said "He was pretty lethargic until he saw you. Now he's unstoppable."

"Good." I said. "What's the score?"

"Oh, you know they don't keep score anymore." said Laura sardonically. "Don't want to hurt the children's feelings, you know."

"You better believe every kid on that field knows what the score is." I replied. Laura chuckled.

We watched and cheered for the next few minutes. As Jim intercepted the ball and kicked it to Ross, I saw Sheriff Griswold coming up the stands. As the ball was passed back to Jim and he kicked a curving shot that scored again, the Sheriff joined us.

"Coming to arrest me, Sheriff?" I said quietly.

"Har." said the Sheriff. "Don't worry about that. How's Jim and Ross doing?"

"Good." I said. "Jim's scored twice already since I got here."

As we watched some more, Sheriff Griswold said "You know, Charlie loved playing baseball. And I got to some of his games over the years. But I didn't get to all of them, not very many of them, really. And after his car crash, I always regretted choosing work over his games. I'm glad to see you make the right choice, Crowbar."

"Yes sir." I said. Laura had been listening to us, and I turned to her and said "Well, I guess I better start looking for a new job."

"Somehow," Laura said, "I don't think it's going to be a problem."

Afterwards, we were greeting all the kids after the game. Jim's teammates high-fived me and the Sheriff enthusiastically. "Wow, the Iron Crowbar was at our game!" I heard kids telling their parents. A lot of parents also greeted me and the Sheriff, and many told me they thought I'd done a great job with the new Charter.

But none of them were happier than my sons, especially Jim. "Thanks for coming to my game, Dad!" he said as we headed to the cars to go home. "I was afraid you weren't going to make it."

"Well, I might can't come to all of them if I'm working on a crime." I said. "So I'm glad I could come to this one. And I'll try to get to as many as I can..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:00pm, Friday, September 6th. They were gathered at Kelly Carnes's house in the Heritage Cloisters.

"This is our chance." said Susan Weston. "We all saw Commander Troy assault you, Reginald. Press charges!"

"I agree." said Battalion Chief Tucker. "We can get the bastard suspended. And it likely will kill the new Charter, too."

"Why don't I call Bettina Wurtzburg," said Kelly Carnes, "and let's give her the story. And then press charges."

"Guys..." said Reginald B.F. Lewis, still feeling the pressure on his neck, as if he were still being choked by Donald Troy. "We gotta think about it. Where's Malinda Adams?"

"I don't know." said Carnes. "I called and asked her to come."

"And that's my point." said Lewis. "I remember two things... the unappeasable fury in Troy's eyes when he was choking me... and the look in Malinda Adams's eyes. She was furious at me for what I said about Perlman."

"You were right about that cripple bitch!" spat Susan Weston, whose hatred of Tanya Perlman remained unappeasable. (Author's note: 'Case of the Paper Trail', Ch. 02.)

"Don't say that in public." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "Listen. I'm going to get that bastard back. But I'm going to do it my way. I want you to let it drop for now."

"Are you kidding?" gasped Tucker. "A white Police Officer physically assaulted a black man! Commander Troy has been getting away with shit like that for years, now!" Everyone wondered what this was about, as Tucker was white. "This is your chance to bust his ass down!"

"No." said Lewis. "I will handle this. I want you to back off, Tucker, especially if you want to be the next Chief of the Fire Department."

Tucker got up. "I'll make you this deal: you make damn sure those changes don't pass. And if the Charter passes, you do what you need to do to reverse it. Otherwise, I make the call to the SBI... and Bettina Wurtzburg." Not giving anyone the time to respond, he turned and left.

"God damn it." Lewis muttered.

"What is wrong with you, Reginald?" Susan Weston asked. "What are you scared of? You really think Troy is going to try to kill you? He can't do a damn thing to you if he's in jail!"

"You don't get it, do you, Weston." retorted Lewis. "You really think they'll put him in jail? And once it comes out what I said about Perlman? They'll be turning that story around and spinning it so hard that you'll fall down drunk."

Just then they all heard a noise. "Tucker, is that you?" Kelly Carnes called out.

"No, it's the FBI." said Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone as he came in, followed by Special Agent Julius Jefferson and two FBI Agents from the City FBI office.

"What the hell are you doing in my home?" snarled Kelly Carnes.

Muscone held up a document. "Your ankle monitor went off line earlier today. This is a Federal warrant to determine if you've violated the terms of your bail."

"As you can see," said Carnes, "I have not violated my bail, and I'm right here. Now get out of my house!"

"If I were you, Mrs. Carnes," said Muscone, "I'd be careful about telling Federal Agents what to do. You see, things can get very difficult for you... for all of you... if you cross the Federal Government's path. Investigations... IRS audits... who knows what else. And all for making sexist slurs about women in wheelchairs."

It grew very tense in the room as Muscone continued, barking a small laugh as he said "Yeah, the Iron Crowbar... he's very defensive of Tanya Perlman. Considers her to be a little sister." Muscone came walking around, until he was behind Reginald B.F. Lewis.

"But me..." Muscone said, "Tanya Perlman is my fiancée, the woman I want to marry. You were lucky, Lewis. The Iron Crowbar just gave you a bit of a warning. Me?" He leaned over and whispered into Reginald Lewis's ear: "I'm going to fuck you up so bad, you'll wish being in a wheelchair was your only problem."

Straightening up, Muscone said "I sincerely believe the Iron Crowbar can outrun a bullet.. or he's impervious to them, like Superman. And Teresa Croyle... heh heh heh... she outran a very big bomb set by your fellow Council Member, Mrs. Carnes. But you guys... not so much... not so much. You're not that good."

As he went for the door, Muscone said "Make sure you follow to the letter the directions of your bail and parole agreements."

Once Muscone was gone, Reginald B.F. Lewis turned to Susan Weston and said "You want to know what I'm afraid of? That is what I'm afraid of... and that one of the Iron Crowbar's bastards will kill me before I can get my revenge on him. Now you guys need to leave it be..."

Part 14 - Aftermath

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the Monday, September 9th, from the roof of the building overlooking City Hall. "Opposition to the proposed Charter continues to grow!"

Bettina began: "Fire Department Chief Patrick Quinlin and Battalion Chiefs Tucker and Carlson issued a statement today opposing the new rank structure of the Fire Department, which effectively demotes the Battalion Chiefs. They plan to file grievances with the Fire Department Union and the Fire Department Captain's Union, and Chief Quinlin suggested that a strike by the Fire Department was possible if the new Charter passes."

Bettina: "And the Black Business Council will hosting a Q&A with Charter Commission members Edna Carter and the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Williams this afternoon, which will be carried live on KXTC. It is not expected that Commission Chairman Donald Troy will attend, and Commander Troy has not responded to repeated requests for comment by KXTC."

Bettina: "In State news, Republican State Legislators and the deeply unpopular Jared Administration has complained that the SBI-IDE is not doing enough to arrest hardworking undocumented workers and turn them over to the Federal ICE Bureau for deportation. Meanwhile, Democrat State Legislators are accusing the SBI-IDE of concentrating on arresting and deporting hardworking immigrants while doing little to nothing to stop the drug trade in our State."

Bettina: "And lets go to Jeff Hull, for Sports. Jeff!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Jeff Hull, from a perch on the mountain finger with University Memorial Stadium behind him. "The Bulldogs had their first away game of the season, defeating Eastern State 24-17. The Wildcats had their home opener, hosting the Tigers in what was expected to be a tough gridiron battle, but Wildcats running back Clarence Appletree is firmly in Heisman consideration after a huge performance of 266 yards rushing and three touchdowns. Jamaal Washington caught four passes for 102 yards and two touchdowns, as the Wildcats won 35-10..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow, not a word." said Cindy Ross as we watched and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. We all knew what she meant: my physical assault on Reginald B.F. Lewis.

"She cannot possibly not know." Teresa Croyle said. "Nearly everyone at Mass at the Catholic Church knew about it. The good news is they also know what Lewis called Tanya."

"Oh, they know." said Chief Moynahan lightly. "They know. Maybe they're just biding their time, or formulating a strategy to weaponize the event. But I have good reason to believe that they know."

I had glanced over at Tanya Perlman, who had a twinkle in her eye. She just raised her eyebrows at me a couple of times. Something was up, and she knew what it was. But I didn't ask.

"Any in-for-mayyyyyy-shun come your way, Commander?" the Chief asked me.

"Nothing specific, sir." I said. "But I'll make this prediction: by the end of this week, Reginald B.F. Lewis will announce he is not running for his Council seat again."

"Nope. Nothing specific." Cindy Ross said with a gleam in her ice-blue eyes. A red crowbar was waved in her general direction.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 1:00pm, the Black Business Council gathered in the large meeting room at their offices on Jefferson Avenue. At the table in front was a table and three microphones. Mrs. Carter, Rev. Williams, and Cmdr. Troy were seated up there. Yes, I'd surprised everyone by showing up.

As expected, many of the questions were about the new School Board and the education of the County's children. And also as expected, there were many questions about taking the Boards of Inquiry out of existence.

Upon being asked the first time, I said "I would like to make sure that any Fake News you have been hearing is countered with the truth. Boards of Inquiry are not disappearing. They are being replaced with something better: Boards of Inquest." I explained why the new system was better.

"So the Council can still ask for inquiries to be made," said one man, who was black, in his late 30s, and wearing a navy blue suit, "and they'll get an investigation?"

"Yes." I said. "By a majority vote, the Council can force an investigation of any part of Town & County Government. If one is already in progress, they'll get the report of the Inquest's findings."

"So if a Police Officer threatens or assaults a black Council Member," said the man, "the Council can force an investigation of that Police Officer?"

I had a slight smile on my face as I said "Yes... but once again, by a majority vote of the Council."

"So individual Council Members cannot ask for an investigation of, say, a Police Officer assaulting a black Council Member?" another man asked.

"They can do so in the same way any other Citizen can." I said. "They can file a complaint with the Inspector General's office. Council Members, of course, can make a motion for the Council to vote upon."

"Remind me not to play poker with that man." the second man whispered, but loud enough to be heard.

After a while, Weinstein, the white Jewish owner of several southside establishments, got up and asked "Commander, this is just pure curiosity on my part. I get the Sheriff being given four stars, but why not give the Chiefs three?"

"Two reasons." I said. "Scalability, and flexibility. We can always boost the Chiefs to three stars if we need to. Alternatively, there might be a time when there is someone else, like a Police Commissioner, over the Police Chief..."

Part 15 - Epilogue

"I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, 'I'd like to see you if you don't mind'
He said, 'I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you'..."

--- Harry Chapin "Cat's In The Cradle"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Decades in the future...

I sat in the large room where the United States Senate's Intelligence Committee was assembling, wearing a civilian suit and tie... Wildcat red tie, of course. In front of me was my son Jim, at the witness table. Sitting next to me, to my left, was Jim's son, my grandson, Carole's nephew, wearing his semi-formal TCPD uniform with ribbons: TCPD Lieutenant Donald David Troy... the Third Iron Crowbar.

The Chairman gaveled the hearing into session. "This confirmation hearing for General James David Troy as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency is in session. Please swear in the witness."

My son stood up, raising his right hand and was sworn in, the four stars on each of his shoulder epaulettes gleaming in the lights, the rows of ribbons of his many military medals climbing up towards his left shoulder, the Master Parachutist badge and Special Forces tab gleaming on the pocket flap.

A political atheist himself, Jim had climbed the ranks in the Army as well as the CIA for Presidents of both political Parties, and his appointment as CIA Director was expected to be confirmed. But it was still going to be a tough session: many Democrats on the Senate Intelligence Committee were rabidly anti-CIA, and looking to to do damage to the Agency by attacking the nominee to be its next Director.

My grandson and I watched and listened throughout the proceedings. One Senator asked "Your mother was a Deputy Director of the CIA, and like her, you were awarded the Distinguished Intelligence Cross, is that not right?"

"That is true, Senator." said Jim.

"How has your mother influenced your career, General?" asked the Senator.

"My mother is no longer with us." Jim said. "But I've always been very aware of her own service to the Company and our Nation, and everything I have done has been with her honor in mind."

Tough questions followed on CIA programs that had been exposed by the America-hating Mainstream Media, especially the treasonous CNN. Jim did not play around. "Senator," he would say, "the security of the United States depends on the uncommon valor of many men and women who shall never receive proper thanks for the service they've rendered. It is with that, and the responsibility of their lives, that I have always made my decisions, which I believe have been correct in serving our Nation properly..."

For an 82-year-old man like myself, the five hour grilling was an ordeal. My knees hurt, my back hurt (nothing new there), and my bladder was old and tired. Jim seemed to love it as he sat there and verbally sparred with the Senators. Finally, as the session was nearing its end, I heard the Chairman say "Senator Ian Troy is recognized for five minutes."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman." said my son, United States Senator Ian McDonald Troy. "I am not a member of this Committee, so I appreciate being allowed to sit in, as well as to speak. I have no questions of General Troy, just this statement: my last name 'Troy' and his last name 'Troy' are not a coincidence. General Troy is my big brother, and I daresay I've known him longer and better than anyone in here, with the exception of our father."

Ian went on: "My brother always took care of me and my brothers and sisters. From the time we were children, he always acted honorably and for the best. He has honored his mother's memory and her CIA service with a record that matches hers in every way, including the aforementioned Distinguished Intelligence Cross. And I know that I, and all of you, will sleep better with General James Troy as CIA Director."

Some applause started up at that testimonial. The Chairman said "Thank you, Senator Troy. Senator Marsden is recognized for five minutes."

"Thank you, Mr. Chairman." said the other United States Senator from my State, Susan Haskins Marsden. "Like Senator Troy, I was fortunate to grow up knowing General Troy, and always found him to be honorable and decisive in his actions. While many of you have referred to his mother and her service, I want everyone on this Committee to know that he has two parents."