Caught in the Middle Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Their eyes met through the mirror. "I know, and I'm really sorry. I'll do my best to make sure you guys don't have to worry about me so much."

Mille let go of her shoulder as she turned to leave the room, "come, it would be rude to keep his highness waiting for too much longer."

"Yes ma'am," Maya said as she got up. After grabbing her cap, bag, and change of clothes from the bed, she followed Mille out to the stables.

On the way there, Maya was excited to see parts of the castle she hadn't gotten a chance to explore. She was beginning to like how there was always something new to discover. She was even happier once they got outside. Besides brief, occasional visits to the garden, she was never given a chance to go out.

When they arrived at the stables, Mille took a last nervous glance at Maya before she cleared her throat and entered.

She cautiously walked up to Richard, "pardon us, your highness."

Richard turned away from his horse, his eyes going straight to Maya. She smiled at him, but because less confident as she saw gradually Richard turn bright red. He stood there staring at her without saying anything, so Maya spoke up to break the silence.

"Is something wrong?"

"Of course something is wrong! You can't expect me to allow you to leave the castle looking like that! Go change, immediately!"

Maya was sure that he was furious with her, but, he was merely embarrassed at seeing her dressed like that.

"I thought it might be okay, just this once," she nervously defended her decision. "Just let me spend one day in comfortable clothes, okay? Then I'll be happy to go back to wearing those dresses."

What am I going to do with her? he asked himself, turning back to his horse so he wouldn't have to look at her. Maya chose to interpret his silence as an acceptance of her request. The victory should've made her happy, but instead she was worried that he was upset with her.

"Oh, Maya! You finally made it," said Cedric, coming up behind Richard's horse. He stopped dead in his tracks, however, when Maya came into full view. "W-what are you wearing?" He brought a hand to his face in order to hide his own blush. His eyes darted to Richard, as though to ask if this was something his friend had approved of.

"She showed up dressed like that, and seems to have no intention of changing," Richard explained, sounding exasperated.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't think it was a big deal," Maya worried that her desire for something as simple as wearing pants would ruin the day. "If you don't mind waiting, I'll have Mille go with me to help me get changed," she turned around, defeated.

After a long sigh, Richard told her to wait. "You don't have to do that," he gave in, just as Mille had. "But I am only going to allow it once, is that understood?"

"Loud and clear," she said, smiling at him before taking her belongings from Mille.

There it is again, that beautiful smile, he thought as he strapped his saddle onto his horse. "Are you ready to go?"

"Ready when you are," she said.

"This is the horse you'll be riding. His name is Cobalt."

Maya's eyes grew big as she approached the horse. "You're so pretty, aren't you, Cobalt? I'm sure we'll have lots of fun today," she said, fondly petting the horse.

Richard held out his hand, "I can help you get on."

Maya didn't want to seem rude, but she really didn't need his help. "I got it, it's a lot easier to move around the way I'm used to in these clothes. But thank you, though." She put her foot through the stirrup and lifted herself up. For a brief moment, both men's eyes immediately went out her well-outlined bottom. It wasn't until she lifted her leg around the saddle and sat down that they even realized they'd been staring.

"Do you have any riding experience?" Richard asked.

"Nope. Well, a few times I guess, but those were well trained horses and I was with a group, so I'm not sure if that counts."

Richard got on his own horse and rode up next to Maya. "You have nothing to worry about. Cobalt is second only to my horse, Asher. You should have no problem riding him."

"I believe you," she chuckled. Richard was ecstatic. The more she laughed, and the happier she looked, the more confident he felt that this trip would finally break the ice between them.

"The two of you can head over to the gate. I just need to adjust my saddle," Cedric said.

"Wait, you're coming with us?" Maya asked.

"Is that disappointment I sense in your voice? Upset that I'll be interrupting your alone time with his royal highness?" he smirked mischievously.

He didn't tell me on purpose, I just know it. Maya groaned, doubting that she had the energy to spend the whole day with both Richard and Cedric. They are friends, though. Maybe this could be fun, after all, she tried to stay positive.

Mille passed the basket of food to Cedric, who would be carrying it with him on his horse. "Try not to let her get away with too much, you two. Keep a close eye on her," she told the men.

"You have nothing to worry about," Cedric laughed, "we will make sure she stays out of trouble."

Maya glared at them, "Well excuse me for wanting to have a little fun."

"The problem is that you'll try to have too much fun," the older woman retorted, "do not forget that you are a lady. Make sure you act like one!"

"I'll make sure she behaves," Richard assured her. "Anyway, we should be going soon. Maya, let's go ahead and take the horses outside. Try not to keep us waiting for too long, Cedric." He grabbed the reins and led the horse out of the stable and towards the gate.

"You know, I really am glad to be able to take you out like this," Richard said to Maya as they waited. "You've been under so much stress lately. I'm sure you were pushing yourself, but I never took the time to talk to you about. I'm sorry."

The honest statement caught her off guard. "No, things haven't been that bad, seriously. I'm getting by alright. And I know you must be really busy, as well. But..." she decided that if he was going to be honest, she could be, too, "...I really appreciate you making the time to go out with me today. Thank you."

He smiled at her, glad that it finally seemed possible for them to break down the wall of formality between them. He hoped that they would only be able to progress from there.

When Cedric joined them, the guards opened the gate and the three of them were off. Maya had forgotten how exciting riding a horse could be. She felt like a little girl again as she closed her eyes and enjoyed the sensation of the breeze brushing gently against her face. When she opened her eyes, she saw that right outside the gate was nothing but a seemingly endless sea of green. The grass was soft and lush, spotted with small patches of wildflowers here and there.

For the first time in a long time, Maya felt truly free. Even back at home, where she was constantly worrying about school work, trying to find money to pay for her student loans, and settling for instant ramen most nights, she hadn't been able to feel this liberated.

Her mind was at ease. She felt as though, even if it was only for a day, she didn't have a care in the world.

The group rode for about an hour before deciding that they were hungry and could use a break. They tied their horses to the trunk of a tree they had found in the middle of the field, and set up their picnic under the canopy, making use of the shade.

Maya took the basket of food from Cedric's horse and took a seat in between the two men. Set emptied the contents of the basket, sorted out the different foods, and filled their cups with cider.

Cedric cleared his throat, trying to pull his eyes away and avert them somewhere else. "It seems as though your domestic skills aren't as bad as I thought," he mentioned, taking one of the cups from her. "I'm sure you'll be an awfully good wife to Richard, even though you may not look like it."

Maya shot him a nasty look, "I 'may not look like it'? What's that supposed to mean?"

He raised his eyebrows. "You can't blame me for thinking like that, especially when you insist on wearing men's clothing."

"Are you seriously still on that? Do you know how hard it is to move around in the gowns? Just because I want to dress comfortably doesn't mean I'm some ill-mannered slob," she retorted, mocking his accent before adding, "jerk." Still, a small part of her was having fun with their light-hearted exchange.

Richard, who had been sitting there enjoying their little interaction, decided it was time to intervene before things got out of hand. "Alright, you two. I believe that's enough. I would hate for this food to go to waste just because you can't control your tempers."

Maya let out a huff of annoyance and reluctantly let the issue go. She watched as the two men went to fill their plates. She looked at the different foods they had brought along- fruits, different kinds of breads, and smoked meats. She opted of an apple, and happily ate as she relaxed in the cool shade.

"Oh, Maya, There is something I have been meaning to ask you," said Richard, who was still determined to get to more about his future wife.

"Sure, go ahead."

He searched for the proper way to phrase his question. "Remember when you asked me if there was someone I would have married if it wasn't for you?"

She pursed her lips. The only reason she asked at the time was to try to coax him into not wanting to be with her. Him bringing it up again made her feel a little guilty, not to mention that having Cedric hear that she dared to ask something like that was humiliating. "Uh, yeah. I do remember," she responded quietly. "What of it?"

"Well, I was wondering the same about you. If you had someone in your life, back in your world, who you cared about in that way."

Cedric looked over at Maya, curious to hear her response as well.

"W-why are you asking me that now?" both men noticed a slight blush creeping into her cheeks.

"Did you?" Cedric repeated the question, partly because he like watching her reactions, and partly because he too wanted to get an answer out of her.

She looked at both of them and sighed. She knew that the sooner she answered the sooner they would drop the subject. "There was one guy, I guess. But it wasn't anything serious. I just wanted to focus on studying so I could get my degree."

"But surely you had plans of getting married someday?" Richard continued his inquiry.

"Well, sure I did, but it's not something I thought about too often. Why are you asking so many questions?"

The two men began laughing without bothering to answer her.

"Well I was gonna let you guys try this," she reached into the basket and pulled out a strawberry tart, "But now I think I'll eat the whole thing by myself. Maybe I'll give the horses some."

"Did you make that yourself?" Cedric asked.

"Yup, with a little help from Mille," Maya gently placed the tray down on the blanket and allowed the men to admire her handiwork.

"Look at that. She cooks, as well! You're a very lucky man, your highness."

Richard proudly smiled at Maya, "I agree," he said, "but you know, as a member of the royal family, this sort of thing is unnecessary. We have cooks and maids for a reason."

"But I like doing this. I've always liked cooking, but it's hard to find time. And...I'm even happier if there's someone around to enjoy what I make," she admitted.

Although Richard couldn't be as honest, he also liked the idea of Maya learning how to cook from Mille. "I suppose as long as you don't interfere with the servants' work, and if you finish your lessons for the day, it shouldn't be a problem if you give Mille a hand in the kitchen every now and then."

"Really? Okay then, it's a deal!" She grabbed the knife and cut the tart into equal pieces, and gave one piece to each of the men. The three of them ate in silence, savoring the sweet and sour flavors of the tart and enjoying the fresh country air.

"The beach isn't that far from here. Shall we make that our next destination?" Richard asked.

Maya nodded and moved to gather all of the plates and silverware. While the men went to ready their horses, she finished cleaning up and gave the basket back to Cedric.

As they rode, Maya smiled to herself. There was a strong feeling of content welling up inside her. Being able to casually spend time with Richard like this, she was sure that she could learn to love him. While she wasn't quite there yet, she knew that she would be, someday. It hadn't been fair of her to sit by indifferently while he was working hard. They just needed to communicate. However, she was still opposed to the arranged marriage, and she still had doubts about being able to sleep with him on their wedding night, but if he could be patient with her, she was sure that she'd be able to come around eventually.

An hour later Maya perked up as she smelled sea salt in the air.

"Can you see it? Right over there," Richard pointed forward as the sea slowly came into view.

"Oh my God, it's beautiful," she resisted the urge to jump off the horse right then and there and run into the water. It was a vibrant blue, unlike anything she had seen at the few beaches she'd been able to go to back home.

They stopped right before the shore, so as to find another tree to tie the horses to.

"Do you guys mind if I go on ahead?" Maya asked.

"I suppose not. We'll be here for a while feeding the horses, so don't go off too far, okay?" Richard barely finished speaking before she ran off towards the sea. He turned to Cedric. "She's a handful, isn't she?"

Cedric laughed, "She's definitely different. But you can't tell me that you'd have her any other way. The way things are now, I find it hard to believe you'd be happy with someone else."

"I do love her, but," he looked back out at the horizon to see Maya's figure getting smaller and smaller as she neared the shore, "I just wish she would open up to me a little bit more."

When Maya finally made it to the beach, the first thing she did was dip her toes into the water. It felt amazing- both warm and refreshing at the same time. Maya looked around. She was all alone, and it seemed she would be for a while. She could no longer see Richard and Cedric, and it didn't look like there would be strangers would be joining her anytime soon.

"Maybe if it's just for a few minutes," she told herself before she removed her belt. Moments later, she was completely stripped and in the water.

Maya felt like she'd died and gone to heaven. It was as though she were the last person on Earth, or whatever world she was currently residing in. Adding to her good mood was the fact that being on the beach alone was the most independence she'd been granted since she arrived in Esfalda. Despite being naked out in the sea, it was the most normal she'd felt in a long time, and at that moment, she wouldn't have traded that feeling for anything, except being able to go home.

Deciding to go a little deeper, Maya swam out far enough so that her toes just barely touched the sand. She took a deep breath and forced her weight back, allowing her body to float in the water. As the gentle push and pull of the sea relaxed her, she closed her eyes and appreciated the warmth of the sun and the sound of distant waves.

For a brief moment she wished that, instead of being alone, she could have her family and her closest friends to enjoy the time on the beach with her. She enjoyed Cedric's company- perhaps a little too much for her own good- and she knew that she was engaged to Richard, but she hardly knew either of them. It would take at least a decade there to feel as comfortable with them as she was with her friends and loved ones, but that didn't mean she actually wanted to spend a decade there to make it happen. She wondered, constantly, at which point would it okay to give up and be happy with spending the rest of her life in Esfalda. She knew she wouldn't be able to ever do that without experiencing some semblance of guilt. Giving up on going home made her feel like she'd be abandoning her family. If she absolutely had to stay in Esfalda, her mother and father deserved, at the very least, to have some kind of closure.

However, determined to savor the freedom she had at that moment, she forced herself to get rid of these thoughts, aware that dwelling on them, at least while naked out in the sea, wasn't going to fix anything. Unaware of how long she'd been out, Maya eventually decided she should probably get dressed and return to Richard and Cedric.

Maya stood back on her toes and briefly dipped her head under the water before tossing it back, getting her hair out of her eyes. She rung the excess water out of her curls as she slowly dragged her legs back to the shore.

Once she got fairly close, enough so that the water was around her knees, she pulled her attention away from her hair in order to look around and place where she had left her belongings. What she found, instead, was Cedric looking in her direction, his eyes unwavering. The moment they locked eyes, it was as though time had stood still. Frozen in horror, Maya wandered how long he'd been there, watching her. Without saying anything, he finally moved, taking a hesitant step forward. Maya hurriedly crouched down, trying to get as much of her body underwater as possible. Cedric ran over and stopped in front of her small form, eyes glued to the ground below him.

"I just came to tell you that we're leaving soon," he explained, setting her clothes down on the sand. "I saw your clothes in a pile over there but I...I never thought that you would...I mean, I didn't see anything, I swear."

Maya kept her head down and squeezed her arms tighter around her body. "Just go!" she screamed at him, "Don't come near me!"

"Alright, alright," he said, backing up. "Your clothes are right here, just come out when you're ready." He ran back to Richard as quickly as possible, knowing that the sooner he was off the beach the sooner Maya would feel comfortable getting out of the water.

She slowly peeked up, and checked all around to make sure that she was alone once again. She cautiously stood up and walked over to where Cedric had left her spare clothes. As she leaned down to pick them up, she noticed that her hand was trembling.

It's okay. He said he didn't see anything, so it's okay, right? He's even seen me naked once before. Plus he's a doctor, so he probably sees naked people all the time. She laughed nervously as she continued trying to convince herself that she had no reason to feel embarrassed.

As hard as she tried though, she still found herself getting dried and dressed as slowly as possible, in an attempt to delay the inevitable. Eventually she began her trek back to the field. As she walked, Maya became more aware of a warm feeling spreading throughout her body. She took a deep breath and shook it off as a result of being out in the sun for too long.

When she finally made it back to the field, she watched as Richard, Cedric, and the horses slowly came into view. She noticed that the two men were seated under the tree, having what appeared to be a very serious conversation. Maya prayed that Cedric wasn't telling Richard all about her little skinny-dipping adventure. Even if he is, I have nothing to worry about because he didn't see anything, she reminded herself, still managing to find comfort in the extremely obvious lie.

Cedric was the first to notice Maya walking towards them. He waved at her and smiled, acting just as he usually did. She smiled back and jogged over to them.

"Did you enjoy your time on the beach?" Richard asked. "We thought you might've wanted some time to yourself, so Cedric and I chose to stay here and chat for a bit. I hope we didn't rush you."