Centuries Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Yes, KXTC's reporters and staff had tried to record the raid. Their video and phone recordings were staticky, with a lowly drone... as if the Slender Man had been amongst them...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Burt, you have to stop this!" Amber said, her voice breaking, tears streaming down her cheeks. She, West, Bettina, and Lester holder were in West's office. "That bitch is going to kill me! Or plant drugs on me and send me back to prison!"

"You have to stop this, Burt." Bettina said.

"NO!" Burt West shouted. "I am not stopping the war on Troy, even if they do kill you! Destroying Donald Troy is our goal, and more important than anything!, including our lives!"

"Really?" asked Bettina as Amber gasped in shock. "Have you gone over the cliff, like Hardwood did?"

"We're not that far along." said Lester Holder.

"Really?" Bettina replied. "You're on the air calling his daughter a 'halfbreed', even trying to incite others to attack her. That's just about to the level of what Hardwood tried to do to his other daughter." (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Finale'.)

"So be it, then." said Holder. "I'm not stopping, no matter what."

Bettina said "Burt, you have to stop the shit about Morelli's baby. We're not going to get the adoption records, and I for one am not going to prison for revealing that information on air, like you pretty much did."

West stared malignantly at Bettina. "You know what's coming, Bettina! And destroying Troy is necessary!"

"And getting me killed is worth that?" Amber asked.

"YES!" West yelled. "Whatever it takes!" He then sat back in his chair, breathing to control his furious anger. "Look," he said more calmly, "Amber, you probably need to get out of this County. Out of the State, even. I can help you find a job somewhere, until your parole ends. Okay, get out of here. You too, Lester. I need to talk to Bettina."

Amber and Holder got up and left the room. Burt West turned his full fury on Bettina: "What the fuck was that stunt you pulled this morning? Leaving the camera?"

Bettina said "I told you I'd have no part of the Morelli baby thing. You said it was my decision to make, then you did that end run around me. I'm not playing that game with you, Burt."

"Then submit your resignation." West snarled.

"No." said Bettina. "And if you try to fire me, I'll expose everything that's going on... and I'll sue you for sexual harassment. Amber might well join that lawsuit. And she's right... her life is on the line, here. That little demonstration by that dyke Ross today was an attention-getter. And it was for your eyes, Burt."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was West's desk phone. He answered it. "Okay." he said. He put his hand over the mouthpiece and said "Shit. It's Katherine Woodburn..."

Part 18 - Celebration

Friday, April 17th. It had been a good dinner at The Cabin. Molly and her boys were there, of course. Todd, Teresa, their boys, Cindy, Callie, Betsy, and Sheriff Griswold had come. Edward and Stephanie Steele were on a weekend getaway at one of Dr. Eckhart's couples seminars, and Selena had a date, so we were keeping Marie for the weekend, to no one's complaint.

When Teresa had arrived, Buddy had run to the door to meet her, jumping up and putting his front paws on her leg. She sat down and gave him lots of skritchins as he pressed himself into her and tried to lick her face.

"Why is Buddy reacting like that?" Laura asked as we all watched.

"Because Aunt Trreesa avenged her sister." Carole replied. Laura rolled her eyes, which earned her (Laura) a 'look' from me. Cindy fist-bumped Carole.

As the women talked in the greatroom, the Sheriff, Todd, and I went upstairs to check on the progress of 'New Lego City '. And a lot of progress had been made.

"Very impressive." said the Sheriff. "It's coming along well."

Ian said "Dad, I saw on YouTube that someone built railroad tracks on shelves on the wall. Can we do that here?"

I said "We can look into that. I'd rather spend the money on railroad cars, but we can see about some shelves." Yeah, it was a done deal, and Ian knew it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have Me."
------ Jesus Christ, per the Gospel according to St. Matthew 26:11 (New Living Translation).

"So Todd," said Laura as we ate, "tell everyone what you did for Beverly, little Sarah's mother."

"This was all Teresa's idea." said Todd. Teresa shook her head and pointed at him. He went on: "The florist that owned the Town & County Flower Shop wanted to retire, so she put the flower shop up for sale. I asked Beverly if she would run the shop for me; it's the shop that's contracted with the cemetery to provide flowers, and they do good business with the funeral homes and the Hospital. Beverly has agreed to manage it, so I bought it, and she'll live in the apartment on the second floor."

"That's wonderful news." I said. And it was what I loved about my Town & County. We couldn't help everyone, but we rose to the occasion whenever we possibly could...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After dinner, Sheriff Griswold and I went onto the back deck, armed with bourbons. The fire in the fire pot was going, offsetting the slight chill in the air.

"Chief Bennett is out of the hospital." Griswold reported. "He's a tough old bird. He said the town has a whole new feel, an energy it's never had before."

"Did they hire any new Deputies?" I asked.

"No." said Our Sheriff. "That was Belton's doing, trying to legitimize his muscle by giving them badges."

"Pissed you off, that did." I said as I looked into the fire. "And you broke in that Klingon knife."

"It's a real, no-shit knife." growled Griswold. "And yeah, I just put 'em out of their misery. I've got your shuriken at home, by the way."

"Get a dartboard and practice with them." I said. "You never know when they might become useful...."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some time later, Teresa and I went and sat on the back deck. Rather than sit in her own chair, she had chosen to sit on the metal mesh loveseat with me. And she'd brought me a gift: a bottle of 30-year-old Highland Park Scotch.

"This is kind of you." I said as we sipped the Scotch. It was damn good stuff. "What's the occasion?"

"To thank you." Teresa said. "For bringing the Light of Truth to what happened with Alexis, and finding my family tree that led to the inheritance... and for helping me avenge Alexis."

"I appreciate the Scotch," I said, "but you know you don't have to thank me for anything. We brought some way-too-long-delayed Justice to some bad people."

Teresa was becoming emotional as she said "And that's just it... it was my giri, my duty, to avenge my sister. But it wasn't yours. And you and Sheriff Griswold helped anyway."

"You know something?" I said. "You're right: it was your duty, but it wasn't mine." As she looked at me, I looked into her eyes and said: "It was my privilege to be there and to help you, and I should be thanking you for allowing me be there. I wouldn't have missed that for the world."

Teresa nodded. I peered at her, feeling the vibe. "Teresa," I said, "this has been a lot for you. Are you okay?"

"Yes." Teresa said. "I talked to Father Romano, and confessed those things I could confess. And... well, it's all good now. Thanks to you, it's all good." She collapsed into my side and I felt her arms wrap around me in a crushing hug.

And as I watched the light of a train coming out of the western horizon, I felt her body jerking, racked by the silent sobs as she finally conceded to the emotions she had held within her all these days. There was but one thing I could do for Teresa, and I did it: I held her in my arms and let her get it all out...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After we'd come back inside, we were sitting and talking with the others, when Carole climbed onto the sofa beside me and whispered into my ear: "Daddy, why are Aunt Cindy's cheeks so rosy?"

That caused me to look over at Cindy, who was holding Betsy as she talked to Molly and Laura. Carole had made the correct observation. And I used the words that my father had used a few times too many in my childhood, that I had not wanted to say but were absolutely correct to say in this instance. I turned to Carole and said:

"Go ask your mother."

Part 19 - The Long Winding Road

"And just one mistake
Is all it will take
We'll go down in history
Remember me, for centuries..."

------ Fall Out Boy, 'Centuries'.

2:00pm, Saturday, April 25th. It was a beautiful, sunny Spring day, and just cool enough that wearing our formal Police uniforms with ribbons (but not MOVs) was not uncomfortable.

We were seated in chairs in front of the front porch of University Hospital. Sheriff Griswold sat with me, Cindy, Tanya and Jack Muscone, and EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell. Fire Marshal Roy Easley and Asst. EMS Chief Zoe Singer were here. The Mayor, his lovely wife, and most of the Town & County Council and their spouses were among the guests.

On the patio, behind the podium, sat the University Regents, the Trustees, the Hospital Board members, many of the doctors on Staff, including Laura, and many nurses. University President Sidney P. Wellman and his wife, and some of the University Faculty were there, with Hospital Administrator Seth Warner and his lovely wife Joanne. And Todd Burke and his lovely wife Teresa Croyle were up there.

The Media was also present, recording the event. The reporters didn't look very happy, though. I surmised that they just didn't like reporting on good news.

"This is amazing." said Cindy to me, as the Sheriff and Tanya listened in. "From her sister's death when she was a teenager, to this moment now. Anything goes differently, and none of this happens."

"And more," I said, "try this on for size: what if Teresa had done the right thing, and had not attacked Dean Allen at that DUI checkpoint?"

"Wowwww...." Cindy said as it hit her.

"If she doesn't make that one mistake," I said, "then Jack Muscone and I don't go to her hometown, find that picture of her and her sister, and learn her story. And without that, we don't understand her pain, and she ends up getting fired, or worse, killed on a drug raid or something."

"Wow. Just one mistake." Cindy said. "And because of it, hope won't die for a lot of children..."

President Wellman was getting up and coming to the podium. "Thank you all for coming." he said into the microphones. "It's a beautiful day for this auspicious occasion, and we're thankful for that. Let's get started. I'd like to welcome the members of the Hospital Board, the University Trustees, and our great Medical Staff, and our distinguished guests. And now, let me introduce Hospital Administrator Seth Warner. Seth?"

Seth Warner came up, looking handsome in his suit and tie, like the executive he was quickly becoming. "Thank you, President Wellman. I'd like to welcome you all here, also. This is a truly great occasion. We've been given a wonderful gift. Teresa Croyle has assigned a trust fund to us, worth over one hundred million dollars!" Everyone clapped strongly for a moment.

Seth: "The interest from the trust fund will allow University Hospital to expand, and to conduct research on many diseases that have not been properly funded before. From ALS to rare liver diseases and cancers, we will now have the chance to find cures and save the lives of many children." More applause.

Seth: "As you know, last Autumn our Hospital suffered a tragic blow when we were attacked by terrorists. We were not stopped then, and because of the generosity of Teresa Croyle and others, we will not be stopped as we go forward into the future." More applause.

Seth: "I'm also pleased to announce that Ms. Croyle has accepted a position on the Hospital Board, helping guide our great Hospital on this new journey into research medicine, and teaching the best and brightest students to be the best and brightest doctors." More applause.

"And now, I'd like to ask Teresa Croyle to say a few words, and also conduct a special ceremony." He looked back at Teresa and began clapping, as did we all. Teresa got up and came forward. Everyone got up and gave her a standing ovation that lasted many long seconds.

Once everyone was re-seated, Teresa did what she does best: took charge of the situation. "Thank you, Seth, Mr. Wellman, Mrs. Myrtle L. James, and the Trustees and Hospital Board. University Hospital is a great institution, and its doctors and nurses have performed miracles of medicine within its halls. I should know; I've been a patient here wayyyy too many times for my boss's liking." There were chuckles and applause for that. Her boss was nodding vigorously in agreement.

"I am honored and blessed to be able to donate this trust fund's proceeds to the Hospital in perpetuity, to make the great even greater." Teresa said, not using notes as she spoke. "My dream, and now goal, is that any child who is sick of any illness, will have hope." Applause.

Teresa said "And we owe someone a huge debt of gratitude for making this day possible. The man who taught me that hope never dies... is the great man that found the inheritance that is allowing me to help achieve this dream. He gave our Cancer Kids hope last Christmas, promising them they'd sing a joyful noise in concert. He is the greatest Detective any of us have ever met, and he is the kindest, wisest, and bravest man I have ever known. Please help me thank Commander Donald Troy for making this day possible."

The audience rose to their feet, applauding me. I was not all that happy... this was supposed to be Teresa's day, and the Hospital's day... but I finally stood and acknowledged the sustained applause. I waved at Teresa in thanks, then I sat back down and (thankfully) everyone followed suit.

"This day was already planned." said Teresa. "We are lighting an Eternal Flame, to remember those that died in the Hospital bombing. But I want this Flame to mean even more... that as long as it burns bright, and as long as this Hospital is here, and great doctors and nursers are here, hope for our children will never be extinguished!" Applause.

"I'd like to ask a wonderful doctor," said Teresa, "a great personal friend who stitched me up, who has saved the lives of mothers and their babies, and who survived the bombing last Fall, to light this Eternal Flame with me. Dr. Laura Fredricson, would you please come up?"

Laura came up as everyone again stood and applauded. She hugged Teresa, then they both lit long wooden matchsticks and lit the Eternal Flame that was behind them on the patio...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You wanted to see me, sir?" Dr. Robin Isley asked as she came up to the desk of DNI Brendan Chapel in his office.

Chapel's eyes flickered upwards at her for a moment, then he sat back in his chair, not offering her a seat but letting her stand there. "I just saw on television where Teresa Croyle gifted that hospital her mother's entire inheritance."

"Almost, sir." said Isley. "She also set up trust funds for her three adopted boys."

"Over one hundred million dollars." said Chapel. "That could've been mine... er, ours. But your people let it slip through their fingers. They had Croyle, and they let her off the hook."

"No sir." said Isley. "The Iron Crowbar ambushed Black and the Marshals. He had Croyle protected all the way."

"I am getting tired of hearing those words, 'Iron Crowbar'." said Chapel. "One hundred million dollars, Isley. Do you know what I... er, we... could have done with that money?"

"Well, it's over now." said Isley, feeling a desire to goad Chapel in his moment of helpless anger. "The money is the Hospital's now, and she structured it to be a tax-free transfer. There's no way you can claw it back now."

"Yeah. She won, she got the money before we could. I can live with that." lamented Chapel. Then his voice turned harsh and angry as he said "But do you know what really frosts me? What's really pissing me off? What infuriates me the most?"

Isley was shaking her head as Chapel continued: "She gave the money away! She could've been one of the richest women in the world! All that money, all that power, and she just... gives it away, like it's nothing. I can't even wrap my head around it. It's an insult!"

Yes, thought Robin Isley to herself, something is an insult around here...

Part 20 - Epilogue

Decades in the future...

I sat down in my chair on the front lawn of the Hospital in the warm sunshine, my uniform feeling big on my 76-year-old body. Losing weight, I was.

They had built the front and back halls of University Hospital over time. It now looked like a rectangular '8', with three long rows instead of one, and the two sides like they'd always been. I looked up to see the 'GO TERESA' banner, which the Cancer Kids had displayed to exhort Teresa Croyle to victory in the Triathlon race many years before (Author's note: 'Media Matters', Ch. 01.), hanging from the roof of the front wall.

"Where did that banner come from?" asked Cindy Ross, sitting in her wheelchair next to me. The muscular and neural degeneration was beginning to sap her ability to walk normally, but she was fighting like the Green Crowbar she was, and she was as mentally tough as she'd ever been. "Surely it's not the same one from the triathlon."

"Oh yes, it is." I replied. "It was in a storage closet at Police Headquarters, in a box that said 'Contact Commander Troy before touching or moving'. And it has sat there for all these years. I figured it was appropriate for today."

"It sure is." Cindy replied, tears in her eyes.

We had buried Teresa just three days before, with all the pomp and ceremony that I could muster in a funeral procession. Cancer had come back to her, and it would not be denied its claim this time.

For years, Teresa had refused to allow what was about to happen today, and she'd made me promise not to allow it. I'd simply responded that I wouldn't while she was alive, so she had better stay alive. I'd kept that promise... and then didn't wait a week after her death to do the right thing.

Others were coming up to us and sitting down. Carole, Marie, Pete Feeley, Jim, Ross, Tasha, Betsy... and Todd Burke and his sons Mike and Doug. And on stage just in front of us was the Vice President of the United States... Jack Burke.

Yep. He had arrived with his entourage of Secret Service, greeting people like the professional politician he was, accepting the condolence offers of other politicians over the loss of his adoptive mother. I noticed that he did not try to greet Carole and Pete... the Secret Service had objected to the red crowbar in her hand, and I'd made a point to object to their objections. Jack had told his bodyguards to let it go, but he stayed away from them. He would have, anyway, just as he avoided most of us.

The Hospital had been eager, just a bit too eager, to have the Vice President of the United States speak at the ceremony. Those who knew Jack Burke best... did not agree.

"This is just not right." said United States Senator Ian Troy, sitting on my other side from Cindy. "Jack didn't give a damn about his mother... about Aunt Teresa, that is."

"Oh, I think he did." I said. "This is hurting him more than he wants us to see, but it's hurting him."

Todd was sitting next to Ian, and he said "Your dad's right, you know."

"He's always right." Ian said, needling his ol' dad. "Nothing gets past this man, even to this day."

"And don't you forget it." Ian's dad said as he nodded vigorously in agreement...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *