Champions Vol. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She still felt uncomfortable being around David, but she understood the importance of this discussion. These matters needed to be addressed.

"According to the spirit of Ophelia, Athanasios was a great warrior from the land before, who fought many battles in the name of Eros. He was the first to join Eros in his journey to our new home, and was even asked to be the first Champion. However, he declined the offer, and instead was made the Guardian of Eros' Champions, pledged to remain at their sides and defend them until they had gained mastery of their powers," Laurena continued.

"That explains a lot," David replied.

Sapphire just looked at him in confusion.

"Did you notice the symbol on his shield?" David asked, and both women nodded in reply. "Does that symbol exist anywhere else in this world?"

"Of course," the both replied. "It is the letter 'Lambda', part of the Aolian alphabet," Laurena added.

David sighed, he could have been clearer in his meaning. "What I meant was, is it customary on this world to decorate shields with it?"

"No, it is not," Laurena replied. "I have never seen it on a shield before."

"Well, there was one military in my world's history that emblazoned their shields with that mark," David explained. "The 'Lambda' was the symbol of the Spartan legion, which stood for their homeland Laconia in Ancient Greece. The Spartans were the greatest warriors of their generation, beginning their training at a young age and facing constant challenges to remain in the ranks. Only the best fighters earned the right to carry the 'Lambda'."

As both Laurena and Sapphire nodded, seeing the parallels between these Spartans and what they knew of Athanasios, David interrupted their agreement.

"The problem is that Spartans have not existed on my world for over two thousand years."

Sapphire was confused at this announcement, but Laurena merely shrugged.

"I believe that Athanasios is nearly 2400 winters old, which would make it possible that he is one of these Spartans," Laurena explained.

"But if he has been around for over two millennia, what the hell has he been doing all this time?" David asked the question that had been nagging at him.

"And why did he decide to quit now?" Sapphire added, beginning to see what was concerning her love.

*** Chapter 38: Departures, and Arrivals ***

010730JUL13 DW

14th of Maimakterion, 2351 EC

Western Mora Training Ground, West of Wolfsvale, Erosius

Polemarch Astinus, Lochagos Mnason, and Ypolochagos Olympias stood on the reviewing stand. In front of them, organized by pentekostyes, were all three lochoes of the Western Mora. First Lochos was arranged to the far left, Second Lochos to the far right, and the Militia Third Lochos was in the center, the place of honor. This morning they would leave the training grounds, returned to their cities and towns to serve as the militias they had spent the last two months training to become.

Stepping forward, Mnason called out in a magically amplified voice, "Mora, Attention!"

The entire force of just over two thousand men and women snapped to attention.

"Present," two thousand swords were drawn, "arms!" and two thousand swords were raised in salute.

Turning, Lochagos Mnason saluted Astinus, who walked forward and returned the salute.

"My troops are ready, Polemarch," Mnason told Astinus formally, after lowering his salute.

Nodding, Astinus moved to the edge of the reviewing stand and called out in a magically amplified voice, "Order," two thousand swords were lowered, "Arms!" and two thousand swords were sheathed.

Polemarch Astinus then addressed Third Lochos. He congratulated then on their hard work, dedication to training, and exceptional performance. Anyone who had listened to both speeches would have noted that Astinus' speech sounded very much like the one given by High Priest Gennadios in Sanctuary Port two weeks earlier. Of course, there was no one present for this speech that had also been at Sanctuary Port on that day, so the similarity went unnoticed.

Finally, after many rousing words and hearty thanks, Astinus bid nearly half of his troops a safe journey. Polemarch Nikanor was arriving in two days with nearly two thousand troops, and these militia trainees needed to leave in order to make room for them.

Stepping aside, Lochagos Mnason moved into the space Astinus just vacated. He also added his congratulations, and complimented each of his militia members for their hard work and dedication to training. He added that while he hoped that he would never need to call any of them into service he was absolutely certain that they would serve proudly and with distinction if they were called. He finished his speech by wishing them Eros' speed on their return to their homes.

The speeches concluded, Mnason gave his final command as the Lochagos of Third Lochos.

"First and Second Lochoes, center face!"

The two lochoes to the left and right of Third Lochoes turned to face the departing unit.

"Present," over one thousand hands were placed on sword hilts, "Arms!" and those same swords were drawn a second time, in farewell salute to their departing peers.

"Third Lochos, Forward, March!" pausing barely a second to see his unit begin the move; Mnason added his final command to his lochos. "Counter-column, March!"

The front ranks of Third Lochos wove within each other, such that the entire column of nine hundred plus men was performing a complex 180 degree reversal of direction. For the next two minutes, the only movement on the field was the departure of Third Lochos, marching between the presented blades of their sister lochoes.

As Timothy strode from the field, his mixed feelings about the day began to sort out. He was sad that the training was ended, for he had made a number of friends in other units that would be returning to their homes in Calavius, Exitibus, Lexia, and the smaller towns in between. Many of them he would probably never see again, which was the source of his sadness. He also felt pride, both from successfully finishing the training and from the congratulatory words of Astinus and Mnason. They respected and appreciated the efforts of the militia trainees, and had chosen to recognize them before the entire mora. He was also excited, for he would be standing in his home before the day ended. It was that excitement that finally overruled the other emotions.

Just the thought of holding Dawn in his arms once more had him ready to run the fifteen miles to his home east of Wolfsvale. However, he would stop at his father-in-law's farm in western Wolfsvale on the way. Eurothros had needed their help bringing in this year's harvest, and Timothy wanted to find out if he would also need help with the planting in the coming spring. With a baby on the way Dawn would not be able to work with him in their own fields this spring, and it was likely that he would need to contact his brother, Paul, for help getting the seeds planted. If Eurothros was going to need help as well then Paul might be convinced to stay on a few extra weeks before he returned home.

Once Third Lochos left the field, each of the pentekostyes separated and returned to their tents to gather their remaining effects. They had been admonished to travel light, but soldiers tended to collect mementoes, and these militia trainees were no different. Some of the units, like Alpha Pentekostys, would not have far to travel. Sixty men and women from Alpha would have only a few miles or less of travel to return to their homes in and around Wolfsvale. The other one hundred militia members would have 70 miles of travel to return to Exitibus. Beta and Gamma Pentekostyes would have a longer march, traveling the 130 miles south to return to Lexia.

However, the longest march would be conducted by Delta and Epsilon Pentekostyes. They would travel nearly 180 miles to return to their homes in Calavius. The leaders of these 320 men and women had requisitioned four carts, and eight horses that were deemed unfit for cavalry duty to haul their excess gear. These soldiers had trained for the last month to be able to march 20 miles a day; and they intended to be home by the 25th of Maimakterion (eleven days) without leaving a single person behind. Alpha Pentekostys would march with them until Exitibus, where Delta and Epsilon would spend a day resting with their brothers- and sisters-in-arms before finishing their journey home.

While the soldiers of the Militia Third Lochos prepared to leave, the soldiers of First and Second Lochos returned to training. The Eastern Mora would be here in two days, and every man and woman of the Western Mora wanted to be in peak shape when they arrived. In the last two months they had grown to love their Polemarch (Astinus), and they were determined to ensure that their training and professionalism reflected well upon his command.

Less than two hours later, the last militia soldiers walked down the road away from the training grounds, the sounds of wooden swords and spears striking against shields calling out behind them. It was a reminder that while their formal training was over, the war had not even begun. Some hoped that they would be ready when the time to fight came; others knew that they would not be. Most of them were right...

* * *

With many arm claps, hugs, and well wishes Timothy separated from the other Wolfsvale militiamen in front of his father-in-law's farm. He did not plan to stay long, as his own home and wife were calling to his soul, but he needed to check in with his wife's father first.

Walking down the dusty lane that led to the house, he noticed an extra wagon parked beside the barn. Confused, he wondered who could be visiting Eurothros. The old man had become a bit of a hermit after Dawn had married and moved out, and few people other than he and his wife ever visited. As Timothy walked closer he quickly recognized the wagon. It was his. Dawn must have come for a visit.

With an excited cry at his good fortune, Timothy broke into a run and raced to the house, his armor and equipment clanking and jangling loudly. The sound was rather loud, and brought the occupants of the home outside to see what the noise was.

Standing on the front porch of the home, Dawn saw a figure in armor running toward her. She could not identify who it was because of the heavy armor and helmet, but something about the way he moved seemed very familiar.

"I believe your husband has come for a visit," Eurothros whispered beside her. Her father lived much closer to the training grounds, and was familiar with the soldiers' appearance after two months. He was able to see past the armor to the man beneath, and was now doubly glad that his daughter had chosen this day to visit.

Dawn gasped in surprise, realizing the truth of her father's words, and then stumbled down the steps before racing to meet her husband.

In the last few steps Timothy tossed away his spear and shield, freeing his arms to hold his beloved wife. At the speed they were both traveling they would have crashed together, but Timothy slowed at the last moment when he saw the bump of their baby swelling his wife's belly. He caught his racing wife gently in his arms, and lifted her entire body off the ground to plant a kiss of longing and happiness on her lips. For a man that thought he would not see his wife until much later that day, and a woman who had no idea when she would see her husband again, the joy of the moment was overwhelming. They were both laughing and crying equally in profound happiness.

"Do you think he snuck away for a visit, or is he home for good?" Eurothros asked the man beside him.

"My brother?" Paul chided. "He wouldn't break a suggestion, let alone an actual rule. If he is here then he is definitely not sneaking. Whether it is for a visit or permanent we will soon find out."

Eurothros nodded. Paul was absolutely correct about Timothy. The old farmer had always liked the young man that courted his daughter, and much of that was because he was such an honest and forthright person. It had been both a happy and sad day when Timothy had asked for his blessing to wed Dawn. Eurothros had known that he would soon lose his daughter from his home, but he also knew that she could not have chosen a better man to share her life with. He still missed her presence, but days like today made it all worth it, and in half a year he would be a grandfather!

During their talk the happy couple had finally separated, and were now walking quickly back to the house. Dawn had insisted that her husband allow her to help carry some of his heavy gear, and he had argued in return that she was already carrying his most precious cargo, rubbing her baby bump lovingly. But Dawn was far more stubborn than her husband, and he eventually relented. Thus she carried his spear and helm.

"It appears this is going to be a day of surprises," Timothy announced with a smile, as Paul walked off the porch to hug his younger brother.

"And the understatement of the year award goes to..." Paul joked with a laugh.

"What are you doing here?" Timothy asked his older brother, ignoring the jibe.

"Mom and Dad sent word that you were busy joining the Erosian Defense Force, and asked me to look in on your lovely wife," Paul answered. "With the winter coming I figured now was a good time for a visit, and it's not like I have been having a lot of success in the forest."

Timothy nodded in understanding. Paul had fallen in love with a Dracian girl years ago, and moved into the Dracian forest to court her. Unfortunately, she had numerous reservations about marrying a human (with their shorter life-spans), and he had spent the last ten years trying to convince her he was worth the risk. Few in their family begrudged Paul his passionate pursuit, but after a decade their parents were hoping to convince their son to give up his quest and return to Wolfsvale. They hoped he would find someone to start a family with there.

"Thank you for taking care of her," Timothy said, voice thick with heartfelt appreciation.

"Thank you for taking care of us all," Paul replied solemnly.

* * *

The next two days were a whirlwind of activity for the Western Mora. The tents vacated by Third Lochos were cleaned and prepared for re-occupation. Additional tents were erected as well, with cots and wardrobes for the arriving mora. The afternoon of the 16th of Maimakterion the advanced riders of the Eastern Mora arrived, announcing that the rest of the mora would be there that evening.

Astinus made the announcement that training would be halted early that day, and that all soldiers would be in full battle dress to welcome the incoming troops.

That evening, the two thousand soldiers of the Iota 'Mountain' Mora arrived, their banners leading the long columns of men and women into the training grounds. First and Second Lochoes of the Western Mora stood in formation to either side of the entrance, welcoming the tired troopers to their temporary home. It was a momentous day, and there were many relieved soldiers who found sleep on warm cots that night after two weeks of lying on the cold ground.

Polemarch Astinus and the Western Lochagoes met with Polemarch Nikanor and the Iota Lochagoes. Command structures, training, formations, and tactics were all discussed. It was decided that the command structure would place Polemarch Nikanor in overall command of both mora, with Astinus his lieutenant polemarch; but in the field they would each command their moras independently, according to an overall battle plan developed by Nikanor.

A rough training plan was developed for the week, with the intent that each of the lochoes would train individually while being observed by other commanders. This was done to ensure that both the western and eastern lochagoes could learn where their peer commanders stood with their training, and so that the two polemarchs could assess one another's troops.

For the rest of the week, the lochoes trained hard, and each of the moras' commanders realized that with both moras training according to the historical manuscripts there were far more similarities than differences between the two forces. The training of the magical forces was where the two moras differed the most, and by reviewing how both Astinus' and Nikanor's troops performed their tasks the leaders were able to make adjustments to improve both equally.

The soldiers of both the Western Mora and of Iota Mora slept well each night, all of them exhausted from the grueling training. But none complained, for they all knew that war was coming. They needed to be ready when it arrived, although they all prayed that it would not come any time soon. Unfortunately, their prayers were not enough to slow the ships of the Amandurans.

* * *

Two days later, 18th of Maimakterion

The four hundred militia soldiers of Alpha, Delta, and Epsilon Pentekostyes, Third Lochos marched through the main road of Exitibus to the cheering of the townspeople. Phoebe and Varus had received early word of their imminent arrival, and had organized a celebration in their honor. The men and women of the Erosian militia were surprised at the reception, and happily accepted the acclaim.

There was a feast in their honor, held on long tables outside the temple, and the families of the Exitibus militia volunteers were in happy attendance with their loved ones. It was joyous occasion, and went long into the night. Once the last cup was drained and the last morsel eaten, the soldiers of Exitibus returned to their homes, many accompanied by companions from Delta and Epsilon Pentekostyes. The remaining soldiers were given rooms in local inns, or at the temple, so that every one of the four hundred soldiers had a warm bed to sleep in that night.

The following day was one of rest and relaxation for the visitors from Calavius, but they felt the call of their own homes and beds, so they departed early the following morning. Many townspeople showed up to wish them well despite the early hour, and they departed with happy hearts and full bellies.

Later that day Phoebe and Varus met with the commander of the Exitibus militia, Kostagos Lucios, to discuss the defensive plans for Exitibus. Lucios was past his fortieth winter, but was in excellent shape and had lived in Exitibus his entire life. He knew the challenges that would be faced by the defenders of the massive city. Like nearly all of Erosius, Exitibus had no walls. Only the oldest cities -- like Hiefesgaden and Sanctuary Port -- had any defensive fortifications to speak of, and they were two-thousand-winters-old remnants of a way of life from the old world.

"The city guard has trained hard, and we have some ideas for defense; but we understand that you and your soldiers bring knowledge of tactics that might improve them," Varus explained politely.

"I am certain that we can work together on them, Sheriff," Lucios replied politely. "However, the truth is that without some type of fortifications there is little hope of defending the city. Our best plan would be prepare the necessary support for a full evacuation. The best use of the militia would be in setting up patrols of the surrounding area, to give the city the earliest warning possible. Against a full scale assault the best the militia can hope for is to slow the attackers long enough for all the citizens to escape."

Phoebe and Varus were both surprised at this announcement. They had never imagined that the militia's first choice would be to abandon their homes.

"Are you certain that this is the best plan?" Phoebe inquired, surprise evident in her voice.

"Yes, Priestess," the kostagos replied determinedly. "A defensive force generally has the advantage in combat. They know the terrain, they have ready access to supplies and support, and they have time to choose and prepare the battlefield. However, the best advantage a defender can hope for without fortifications is three-to-one. This means that the largest force my hundred soldiers can successfully defeat would be around three hundred strong. Any force larger than that -- and we have to assume that an invading army would number in the thousands, not hundreds -- would be able to defeat us and control the city.