Chapter 21: Zombie

Story Info
Rescue mission underway!
2.3k words
4.62
1.3k
00

Part 21 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 04/02/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They hiked through the woods with Veralosa at the front and Lindsay bringing up the rear. Not that she especially minded with the view she got. She hoped Donil enjoyed looking at her, too, and not just for how exotic she was.

"I can't believe you talked to Sirix that way," Lindsay said as they worked their way up a steep hillside. "You're usually so deferential to him."

Talking helped her to forget her exhaustion. Sure, there were hills and even mountains in Maryland and Pennsylvania - at the other ends of the state! She wasn't used to this kind of hard work.

"Ha!" Veralosa said from the front. "The only orders he takes are his doctor's."

"Really?"

Donil smiled. "Some might say that. Grudgingly."

"So, what you're saying is that was normal?"

"More or less," Donil answered. "Usually, I have to drag him into the hospital."

"Sometimes she has me do it," Veralosa volunteered.

"He never can accept that he has to heal and rest like everyone else. Sometimes he has to be reminded. Firmly." Donil said.

It was like Lindsay was seeing a whole new side to Donil, and it was kind of sexy. Kind of really sexy. "It's amazing he respects you so much."

"Why wouldn't he?"

"Just, where I'm from, women don't get much respect, doctors or not. Especially from men."

She laughed. "No, he specifically requested me because he wanted someone who would stand up to him."

"And she was the best," Veralosa added, stopping to turn to the women. "I mean she was a legend. Even I knew her name!"

Lindsay was stunned. Of course, it made sense. Wouldn't you want to have the best doctor taking care of your leader? But still... "You made it sound like you were just a medical student who wanted a change of scenery."

"Are you kidding?" Veralosa gushed. "She was top of her class! She was the head of the medical training school for three years! You know those skin grafts we use? She invented them!"

"How...? Why...?" she didn't even have the words to finish the questions.

Donil's cheeks whitened. "Well, to me I was a medical student who wanted a change of scenery. I hated teaching, I wanted to be out in the field where the action was, using my skills to save my people, learning new things. Not just cooped up in a lecture hall all day. So, when the Bona Serat Corsar asked me-"

"Begged her-"

"To become his personal physician, I was grateful for the opportunity."

"She made him agree, in front of the entire camp, that her orders were law above his."

Lindsay laughed, grinning open-mouthed. "Donil!"

She smiled discreetly. "He was known to be a... difficult patient."

Even as they walked on with Veralosa well in the lead, Lindsay couldn't help laughing to herself as she thought about it. Sweet, kind Donil... It was like finding out that her best friend was secretly a Hollywood movie star! She'd never even considered thinking of Donil in that way. She should have. It wasn't like Sirix hadn't hinted at that.

But damn! She'd already been going crazy over her. This new side of her... A Donil who even the king had to answer to. Who'd demanded his obedience and respect in front of the entire camp - and he'd given it! Donil was a total boss! No wonder Sirix had said in another time she might have been the Bona Serat Corsar.

Actually... if he thought that, why wasn't Donil his consort? Between the two of them, their babies would be brilliant. She was so lost in thought she didn't even notice the muddy patch until she slid on it.

"Lindsay!" Donil shouted, grabbing her hand, but this had no other effect then to cause them to both slide down a good six feet. "Are you alright?" she asked as they slowed to a stop, Donil half on top of Lindsay.

Lindsay pushed herself up, leaving Donil almost sitting in her lap. "Yeah, are you?"

"Good." Donil's cheek brushed against Lindsay's. Was that a nuzzle? It sure felt like one. "I'm glad. Yes. I'm alright." Donil whitened. They held each other's gaze for a minute, neither making a move to get up.

"Hey! Are you two alright down there?" Veralosa shouted from the top of the hill.

"Yes!" They said in unison.

Lindsay felt her cheeks burning. "Umm... we should probably-"

"Yes," Donil agreed as they quickly extricated themselves.

Unless Donil liked girls, Lindsay thought to herself. And Sirix knew. That would do it. Then sex with Sirix would be just fulfilling a biological need with the added benefit of an orgasm.

But it wasn't really something she could ask. Well, she could, but was she really ready for the answer? A no would be easy enough, but a yes? And if Donil liked her? Was she really ready to have sex with another woman? There was a big difference between a crush on a woman and embracing a new part of her sexuality. She needed to get out of her own head. This trip wasn't about sex, it was a rescue mission. She was there to help any way she could, not get laid.

She wanted to go see Carak. She'd been avoiding him since Kadax. It was horrible. Horrible to remember, horrible to imagine, and even more horrible when she thought about it. Because then she had to agree with it.

Kadax was dying, painfully. There was no possible salvation there. No healing that could have occurred and only worse death awaiting. It was merciful. And she hated that. Hated to think something so gruesome was a kindness. But with her conflicted feelings over Donil, maybe... at least it might be a useful distraction to see him. She might catch him talking about troop movements again.

"Hey, I'll be right back, I just have to go to the bathroom," Lindsay said, hooking a thumb towards the woods. The other two nodded and she went off.

Hiding behind a stand of trees, she pictured Carak in her mind as she peered into the golden veins of the eyestone. Whenever she thought of him, it was always him sitting hunched over his desk, reading through facts and figures, scanning through maps. It was where she most often found him, probably where he spent hours a day, never turning, just working. There was a comfort in watching him at work. In a world of chaos and death, it was a quiet moment.

She was behind him in a second, though not in his room. No. She was in a large corridor with massive stone arches held up by thick columns on either side and floors of alternating grey and white diamond tiles, polished to a shine. Next to Carak stood Prince Rivuk dressed in a gold-buttoned black uniform with a red cape. Encircling his wrist, something like a watch with a face that glowed blue.

Lindsay ducked behind a column, listening.

"What word from our scouts?" the prince asked.

"None, your Grace."

"Still nothing?"

Carak bowed his head. "No."

"You think they're gone, don't you?"

"Yes, your Grace. Almost certainly."

The prince looked this way and that. Seeing no one, he took the back of Carak's head in his hand and pulled him in so their brows touched. "I'm sorry, I know Ruu was a close friend of yours."

"Thank you, your Grace. May the Immortal show kindness on his spirit."

"Kindness he never knew in life."

Carak's inner eyelids closed but he did not speak agreement, though it was written all over his face. "Thank you for your care for my people, your Grace. I know he appreciated it."

Prince Rivuk released him. "What is your recommendation?"

"Send four units of ten to sweep the area. If any do not return, it should give us a better idea where the encampment is."

"Ten is not enough to destroy a camp." Rivuk tilted his head, concern flashing in his copper eyes. "A sacrificial unit?"

"It is our only option. At least it will be a lesser sacrifice. If we lose many more soldiers, it may affect the plan."

"Then do as you see fit."

"Yes, your Grace."

Carak turned and limped away as the prince watched. There was a hint of sadness in Rivuk's gaze. Lindsay waited for him to turn around. Once he was gone, she'd follow Carak.

But the prince stayed. His expression shifting to one of cool disinterest. "I can see you; you know. You can stop hiding."

Time to leave. Leave! Go! Why couldn't she wink out? Her body felt somehow solid.

Lindsay stepped out from behind the pillar.

"That's better. I'll admit, you look a lot prettier when you're not covered in the blood of my people. I am Rivuk, Third Prince of the Nobillo. And what is your name?"

"Indsayee."

"Don't lie to me, it does not become you."

He saw right through her. Well, he was supposed to be psychic. "Lindsay Weaver." she said, trying not to show her panic. Not to him.

"So, to what do I owe the honor of this visit, Lindsay Weaver? Why are you following my servant, Carak? I'm sure he'd be flattered if he knew."

"You can read my mind, you tell me."

"I find it rude to read the mind of a lady without her knowledge. You often see things you'd really rather not. But I don't need to read your mind to know you're a spy."

"Fine, you've caught me."

"So, you've chosen to throw your lot in with the Bonat. But that still doesn't explain why you've chosen to focus your attentions on Carak. Could it be love?"

"Hardly. I was warned you princes could control my mind, but Carak's not a prince."

"So, you're clever. But not enough to avoid getting caught. They weren't lying."

Lindsay felt herself suddenly moving, walking. A hole was punched into her vision, showing grass as her feet stepped forward against her own will. Suddenly, she was standing at the edge of a cliff.

"I could make you throw yourself off," he said, dispassionately.

Lindsay steeled herself. "Then do it."

"Brave. Or I could flay your mind for the locations of the Bonat camps."

"You won't."

"What makes you so certain?"

"You would have done it already." Lindsay hoped to God she was right.

Rivuk tipped his chin up in an appraising nod. "My brothers would have. They would have the second they noticed you. They would have laughed as they made you tear yourself apart while telling every secret you ever held dear."

"Why haven't you?"

"I'm not my brothers."

"That's not an answer."

"You're hardly in a position to demand one." He shifted her slightly forward so she was staring over the cliff. "Tell me, are you the reason my phalanxes keep disappearing? Is there an encampment in the southeastern woods?"

Lindsay hardened her expression. "If you value the lives of your men, you'll stay out of the southeastern woods. Or we'll keep killing them."

His brows raised. "That's quite a pronouncement."

"I know you do. Value them."

The prince pressed on the glowing blue piece of his bracelet. "Carak."

"Yes, your Grace?" Carak's voice answered.

"Call off all phalanx movements to the southeastern woods."

"Your Grace?"

"Do it."

"Yes, your Grace."

He released the button with a slight twitch at the side of his mouth. "So, the Bonat have finally learned how to fight. Good. I hope they destroy us."

"What?" Lindsay wasn't sure she'd heard right.

There was the sound of movement from a ways off. The prince turned; panic etched on his handsome face. "Leave this place. Now! And never return. If you do, I'll kill you myself."

"But what about-"

"Go!"

She pulled back into herself. "Woah!" she cried as she found herself staring down the edge of a cliff. She reeled backward, landing hard on her butt. "What about Carak?" she mumbled to the air.

She wasn't ready to leave him, not yet.

She returned to Donil and Veralosa and they started off again, but Donil kept stealing glances back at Lindsay. Lindsay forced a smile at her each time, but inside her mind, she couldn't stop replaying what she'd seen, what she'd heard. Was that really the last time she would ever see Carak?

It felt like a loss, somehow; even though it had only been a few days. She still had so many questions! What happened to his wings? Where did he get those scars? Why did the prince seem to care about him so much? And what was up with that prince? But that was a whole other set of questions!

She was so busy thinking, she didn't even notice Donil fall back beside her. "What's wrong, Lindsay?"

She tried her best to look innocent. "Nothing's wrong! I'm just feeling a bit tired."

"Did I do something?"

"No! No, you've been perfect!"

"Then what?"

Lindsay's eyes quickly shifted from Donil's face to the stone.

It was just an unconscious momentary glance, but Donil's eyes widened and her hands flew to her mouth. "Oh no, Lindsay! You didn't!"

"I just... I wanted to keep an eye on things... I wanted to help, to be your secret weapon." The truth came spilling out, every encounter, every lie, all leading up to the final confrontation with the prince.

Donil wrapped her arms around Lindsay and nuzzled her cheek. "I know your heart was in the right place, but that was so dangerous! You could have been killed! Promise me you'll never do that again."

"I promise." But even as she said it, she wasn't sure she could keep it. She looked up the hill to see Veralosa standing at its crest. "What is it, Veralosa?" she called from below.

"We're here," he said.