Charmingly Ruthless

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She told him that the board had come within an ace of pulling its investment, but Chairman Mills had used his casting vote to force the status quo, arguing that he did so because he was confident that this new editor that he'd received a report on might very well surprise and help turn the newspaper around.

"What report?" Harold had asked.

"We have a unit that specialises in digging in deeply to get the real facts."

"I'd like to see a copy?"

"Sorry, Harold. Try your old mate Chairman Freddie. These reports get restricted access and are terribly hush-hush."

As the aircraft landed Harold was thinking one of the last things Fran had told him in the terminal. That executive director Ellen Smith was becoming too busy so her job would be split and the end of the final year in three months' time; Fran had been appointed to take over Ellen's responsibilities for writing the chairman's speeches, drafting his reports and managing his report personnel.

"Golly, you ought not to be performing services like you have this afternoon -- it's an security risk."

"Quite, you are my final VIP support assignment. I begin being absorbed into my new role on Monday, and what I am doing now is very naughty. Here is my secure phone number; phone me anytime you'd like me to visit you during the night when you stay in Wellington -- that is, stopovers when not accompanied by your wife."

Next day Harold had morning tea with his deputy-chairman Lady Clinton-Jones. Judith listened to details of his Wellington trip, alarmed that it had come that close to Lighthouse pulling its investment.

She'd heard of Ellen Smith and the feedback was not complimentary. Judith agreed with Harold -- they should appoint Harvey Ross as an additional director, rather than dilute the strength of the board loyal to the other principal shareholders.

When Harold had finish Judith smile and said: "Your troubles are not over, my dear. Our sweet young editor wants a couple of people she perceives as weak links replaced on the board."

"Oh Christ, who?" asked Harold, well knowing who one was.

"Charles Worthington and Gus Wilson."

"Worthington yes, I can understand that. The reverend gentleman was all over her at her interview. Actually I'd like him off myself."

"Chase doesn't want him replaced by another clergyman."

"Who the hell does Chase think she is?"

"Steady on, Harold, you are having coffee with a lady," said Judith, eyes twinkling.

"Oh, my apologies. But why Gus Wilson -- he didn't say a word when she was in the room?"

"Well that's it; Chase asked me to allow her to read the minutes over the past six months. There were 272 motions voted on during that period and Gus abstained on thirty-nine of them. During those six months he had twenty-four comments recorded which means he barely opened his month."

"Yes, yes, we know that, but he's on the board to represent employees."

"Chase says find someone else prepared to make a full commitment who can either support the board or oppose it firmly, but never hide behind abstentions."

"I suppose she wants to be that person?"

"No, she proposed assistant general manager Gill Franklin."

"I didn't know Chase knew Gill."

"They first met at Chase's welcoming cocktail party and have become friends."

"So, she wants a buddy on the board as a spy?"

"No, not at all. Chase wants the Rev Worthington's chair as well as his scalp."

"Christ."

"Chase is not all pussy Harold."

He decided not to comment on that one.

Later that morning Harold was reviewing a thought that refused to disappear: Why had Fran been so nice to him, a lawyer/businessman who'd be among the lowest of lows on the VIP list at Lighthouse? Harold being Harold knew there had to be a reason.

Well, his firm also had its specialist contractor who gathered information confidentially as was very good at it -- a retired private detective. Harold phoned calling for a CV and instructed Claire Hamilton to bill him personally.

Claire's email on Fran Hogan arrived on Harold's computer overnight. He skimmed through it and found nothing, unconcerned that it had been a waste of effort. Reading it again, this time carefully he paused on the third paragraph, satisfied that he had the reason -- Fran was born in Walton, the late-born and only child of Brad and Mary Hamilton, now deceased. It would appear that Fran, an orphan and also unmarried, had felt an attachment for him because Harold was from her hometown.

The report gave Fran's birth date. Harold diarised it as a reminder to send her something for her birthday in September just to let her know there was someone thinking of her on that day. She'd have others around her not doubt, having built her own life elsewhere. But Harold smiled -- she'd recognize the sender of a gift as being from Walton.

Two days later a special subcommittee of the board was called, comprising a majority of the board sufficient to get its decisions passed at the forthcoming special meeting of the board by simple majority. The two Wellington directors were invited to the full special meeting of the board, but once the limited business was explained to them, both sent apologies for non-attendance.

The day after the special board meeting (with lasted seven minutes) the Walton Evening News announced changes to the board. Miss Ellen Smith and Mr Harvey Ross were named as two replacement directors representing Lighthouse Insurance, the principal outside investor, and Mrs Gill Franklin and Miss Chase Lewis were named as executive directors replacing retiring directors Gus Wilson and the Rev Charles Worthington.

CHAPTER 6

Many people are not quite what they seem, some even more so. Chase Lewis was one of those less transparent characters, as some people would testify, including her aggrieved husband. Baxter tolerantly subscribed to the 'Three strikes and you're out' philosophy whereas Chase had shown her adulterous husband that he was out before his first strike had faded from his memory. The other half of the adulterous coupling -- Chase's best friend Aimee McCullough -- similarly suffered total rejection because of her treachery.

Chase, of course, was aware of her double-edge personality and had been so since she was a child playing with dolls. She would play, all sugar and spice, but this would change instantly should one of her dolls be commandeered without consent. Chase would still smile, but the tug to pull her doll back into her arms would be almost vicious and invariable successful.

The Rev Worthington was a victim of Chase Lewis. During her interview for the editorship she found she disliked the man, that he was arrogant and petty and therefore an early priority of hers would be his removal as a director of the company.

Chase had long passed the crude techniques of pulling hair and slapping faces. She simply worked out a feasible exist path for the Rev Worthington and pressed the buttons and he was gone and bewildered, no doubt, about what had happened and why. Although the explanation had been made by the chairman at the presentation of a brandy decanter set of considerable value, he didn't believe that cock and bull story for a moment.

Chase's next target was her company's general manager, another arrogant man who treated a group of his female staff as his concubine. This removal was much more complicated and was resisted by the outraged target, Frank Keys.

Chase went to company chairman for advice. Harold Younger admitted there had been complaints but twice when complainants had been offered a board subcommittee investigation they took fright and withdrew their written complaints and pleaded that no further action be taken.

"Have you evidence that Frank has been a naughty boy."

"No."

"Then if you take this further it will likely to be construed as a witch hunt against a very nice guy who is a popular member of staff."

"What!"

"You heard."

"But many of the office women hate him."

"Then produce them -- I'm willing to set up a hearing."

"But we'll need proof."

"Exactly."

"Then what must I do Harold?"

The lawyer looked at the fallen face of the editor and was moved. She was good for the company, and would make two of Frank in terms of productivity. Even he knew the general manager was incompetent and almost anti-company in attitude but unless Frank committed serious offences there was little that could be done about it under industrial protection legislation.

"First of all, tell me why you want Frank out? This is for my ears only."

"Because he is mean-minded, a bully to his staff, takes personal advantage of the weaker women around him and sits back and let's his deputy do his work for him."

"Is that all?"

"No, I want to crucify him for taking advantage of these women -- he virtually raped two of them for God's sake."

"Careful, Chase -- don't risk repeating unsubstantiated allegations of that seriousness otherwise you risk Frank instruction his lawyer to sue you for defamation with a claim for substantial damages."

"Well, no problem -- you're top gun in the Courts around here I've been told, we'll beat the mutt he fronts up with hands down."

"Frank is a client of mine, Chase," Harold said dryly, looking out of the chairman's office window to try to lessen Chase's embarrassment, but he needed have bothered.

"Oh Christ, Harold, I've got to find the way to gut him."

"Look Chase, leave it to me for a couple of days. In the meantime, I suggest that you go easy on Frank to avoid raising his suspicions. I admire you for pressing for resolution on this; the truth is you are not the only one in senior management or on the board for that matter who'd like to see him out of here. It's something I'd prefer our managing director Maurice King to handle but he still has three months of his year's sabbatical in England to go."

Three days later Chase was invited to Harold's office for afternoon tea. They exchanged pleasantries and Harold asked Chase to visit Judith and talk to her about her property, which is far too big for her. Judith was expecting such a discussion.

"But her daughter's in real estate, she ..."

"I'm also very experienced in real estate transactions through the disposal of clients' estates, Chase, but she won't listen to Pru and she won't listen to me in this matter. My instinct tells me she'll consider what you say because she admires you greatly."

"You're a flattering toad Harold but all right. No there's no harm talking and I haven't chatted to Judith for quite some time. But that's not the reason why I have been summonsed, is it?"

"Toad -- I say, Chase, that's a bit off."

"Conferred in the nicest possible sense, Harold."

"Spoken like a student with a law degree," he smiled, and the smile turned off as he said, "To business."

Shuffling some papers on a huge desk topped with green leather, Harold told Chase that he'd commissioned a report from an investigator who had contacted a number of females working in the administration offices of the newspaper. These approaches had been made away from the premises.

"It's far worse that we had suspected, Chase," said Harold, raising his glasses and rubbing his eyes. "To be candid it's a bloody mess and threatens to bring this company on to the front pages of newspapers around the country. We have here a list of seventeen women who have been groped or whatever by our general manager, Frank Keys. These incidents, of course, go back over a number of years -- twelve years in fact, and nine of the women no longer work with us, although two of them are willing to come forward to be interviewed."

"Oh my God."

"Yes, it's a real mess.

"Look, Judith is due here in ten minutes. I'll let you read this report so that you will be better informed before we put a proposal to you."

Judith arrived wearing a charcoal suit, greeting Chase warmly and saying that she always dressed dourly when visiting her lawyer.

"This won't cost you anything," Harold said cheerfully. "It's company business."

The proposal put to Chase was that she garner support of four employees with complaints of improper conduct against their senior manager and present the combined complaints to the police and ask that charges be laid against the alleged offender. A lawyer not associated with the newspaper company would accompany her.

"Usually it's the general manager that would lay the complaint, but in this instance the general manager is the accused," said Harold, watching Chase gravely. "Judith and I also see a problem using the deputy general manager to lay the complaint as there would be problems there should the charges fail. Judith and I looked at other possibilities and you emerged as our best alternative -- and as a personality you are strong enough to go up against the accused and deal with the consequences should the complaints be judged unfounded or without sufficient merit. Please take your time to consider this request."

"No, that's fine, I would be prepared to do that but there is a better way."

Judith looked surprised while Harold groaned and said, "You want him to walk with a pocketful of money, don't you?"

"Yes."

"What are you two on about?" Judith asked.

"Confront him, get him to resign and give him a fat cheque over and above his entitlements."

"No, you can't do that. Think of those poor girls."

"I have and continue to do so, Judith," said Chase. "But when you read the report there's nothing alleging 'against my will' or even 'I resisted strongly' or 'he used his position of authority to suppress my protests'. Hopefully such statements would emerge during cross-examination in court.

"Then we have the accused giving his side of the story, that the women were attracted to him; with their workmates telling him he was a really nice guy they decided to seek a cuddle. Or words to that effect."

"I can see that and it would be humiliating for the company if a prosecution failed, but that's life and people will soon forget it," Judith said firmly.

Harold tapped his pen on the notes in front of him and looked thoughtful. "There's one more consideration."

Chase looked at him and said, "Company negligence."

Harold nodded and said good girl.

"Yes, Judith there is a big hook to all this. As a result of this matter going to the Court a consequence of the action could be that the company itself could be prosecuted for inadequately protecting its staff through operating insufficient supervision, having inadequate complaint procedures and no doubt much would be said about these incidents going back twelve years."

"In all probability that action would rate as much space as the case of the rampant out-of-control general manager," Chase said.

"Oh God," said Judith, you best organise a phone conference of directors in the morning, Harold, and get agreement. Under the circumstances I will have to support the option of resignation and golden handshake."

Judith turned to Chase, looking miserable. "It hurts me nothing is being done for those girls and women."

Chase patted Judith on the arm and suddenly tensed.

"Harold, those women in the report -- were all females in admin now and those who'd left during the last five years contacted?"

"Yes, those were my instructions and my investigator said she followed up every address she was given of former employees but some were now address unknown. Why do you ask?"

"Just a minute Harold, answer this one. How much do you think the golden handshake will be?"

"Probably fifty thousand -- it seems to be the current going rate for forced resignation of an executive on Frank Keys' salary."

"Right, and I guess presenting the allegations, asking for the resignation and then the negotiations over money will be a face-to-face of just you and Keys?"

"Yes."

"Then let's get tough, Harold," said Chase wearing a cold smile. You refuse to negotiate beyond $25,000. That's take it or leave it or go to Court. Then from that pool of $25,000 from the notional payout of $50,000, you arrange a payout that you make privately to those seventeen females as compensation for the unpleasant time they had with Keys. I'd rather like say $5000 each go to those two women willing to come forward as they were the two who admitted to being fully seduced."

"Yes!" cried Judith, her face flushed in excitement. "What a wonderful idea, it means that in effect that villain will be compensating those poor women himself. I love it!

Harold was not so sure, now leaning back in his swivel chair, fingertips pressed together and looking very serious. "It is a remarkably astute finale but unfortunately there are other considerations. For a start, in paying these females compensation we are admitting liability and much larger claims could eventuate, driven by their lawyers and..."

"Hold on, Harold. Your are right, of course but the company has insurance for this sort of thing," Judith said. "Our management has heard whispers about Mr Keys and women and virtually did nothing about it for twelve years until Chase made the move to get the rat out of here. Please, Harold, consider writing a legal opinion on every aspect we have discussed and make your recommendations, which you may say I as deputy chairman support entirely. Email it to the directors and arrange the phone hook-up for the next day. I want Keys gone from our company by this Friday.

Harold wriggled his fingertips, looking at the ceiling for a few seconds.

"Agreed, Judith, I shall do that. The recommendations are rather radical but it requires the collective decision of the board anyway. We'll try for a unanimous decision, as that really will cover our butts. Thanks to the earlier actions of our colleague here we no longer have a pontificator and a fence-sitter on the board. This way to the drinks cabinet in our boardroom, ladies."

Shortly after 2:00 on Thursday, general manager Frank Keys handed across his resignation and in return received termination documents and payments and a special payment of $25,000. He was escorted by a company security guard to clear his desk of personal effects and taken to where his company car was parked. At the last minute Harold had decided to give the car to Frank, as it was due for replacement any way. There was no farewell function.

A notice was posted on the administration staff notice board and other notice boards throughout the buildings around 2.30 announcing that the company's deputy general manager Mrs Gill Franklin had been appointed general manager. There was a big party across at the pub for all staff, hosted by a very surprised Mrs Franklin.

That party was well underway when company chairman Mr Younger called in to congratulate and have one drink with the new general manager. Only Mrs Franklin heard Harold say that if she wanted to thank anyone she should thank Chase Lewis.

There were more victims of Chase's aggression. First to go was legendary racing editor Wit (Whitney) Carrington. At his farewell he'd related how it happened.

"I was having my usual mid-morning nap at my desk -- we start at 5:00 to 5:30 I'll have you know, when I was aroused -- oops, I mean roused by perfume, saw this lovely face looking at me and knew I'd gone to heaven. Then Chase said to me: "Wit, you're seventy years old with a wife at home and children and grandchildren living nearby -- don't you think you should be home, retired, enjoying life with them?"

"Bloody hell, I though I had this job till I was at least ninety. So I began packing my things. Chase came back into the newsroom, saw what I was doing and came down to me and said, 'We give a month's notice Wit. You've got a month's work ahead of you'. I said, I'd like to go now if you'll let me. I should have done this ten years ago. She said of course, but I must come in on Friday to pick up my termination payments and for her to take me out to lunch. That was lunchtime today, and I sorta got her pissed, so that's why she's not here. Ashima had to come and drive her home in Chase's car and hurry back in a taxi to this function. We didn't leave the restaurant till 4:00 and I tell you, I was panicking. I thought for the first time in my life I was going to be drunk under the table by a female, but I switched our drinks to rum and she folded. Chase is not used to black rum. Look after her guys -- she's the best boss we've had since Alex Simpson came thirty-eight years ago."

1...45678...13