Chasing Eden Ch. 07-09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The plans for the final day were set. Eddie and Camilla were going to attend their final meetings, they were going to go back to the hotel to pack their bags and pick Peter up, and then they would fly back to New York late into the night. Things went pretty smoothly at the conference center, and both Camilla and Eddie were pleased with the work they had done during their time in California. When it was time to head back, they caught an Uber instead of riding with Leah, like Camilla had gotten so used to.

Now, sitting alone in the backseat with one of the men she had been working with for a month, Camilla had to ask the question that had been on her mind. There was no telling if this was the last time she would ever work with Peter or Eddie again. It was now or never.

"Hey... may I ask you a question? And can you be totally honest with me?"

Eddie looked over at the blonde with that calming smile he always had. "What is it?"

With a nervous look on her face, Camilla looked down as the words started to pour from her heart. "I actually loved working with you and Peter... You're both amazing assets to our company. It's just... I know there's something going on that you guys aren't telling me. I mean, an FBI agent contacted me... Higher-ups from Sunshine keep contacting me too... I'm so in the dark. Can you just tell me what's going on?"

The smile on Eddie's face slowly disappeared as he started to look uncomfortable. Shaking his head, he explained, "Well, you already know that they thought Peter might be the mole, right? Well, there is a little more to the story, but for a legal reasons, I can't tell you everything."

"Please, at least tell me something. I hate being left in the dark like this."

"Okay, but you have to promise to keep this between you and me."

"I promise," Camilla said, staring Eddie in the eyes.

With a deep breath, the man started to explain the dilemma he had been facing for so long. "This whole thing... it started a long time ago. The FBI agent... Kenny Parks... he's actually the older brother of Irene, Peter's wife."

Camilla's eyes became big for a moment as she explained, "I figured that might be a possibility... Sasha actually mentioned Irene's last name to me. But hearing you confirm it... it's still a bit shocking..."

"Well, Irene was actually a really smart woman... Kenny wanted her to be an FBI agent with him because she was so intelligent, she could figure almost anything out. That was just never something that interested her. The only thing that really made her happy was helping the people she cared about."

"Oh... wow..."

"She became one of the top security analysts for the company Sunshine used to contract for their information. That's how she met Peter. She always trusted him and liked how straight forward he was."

A little smile came over Camilla's face as she thought about this woman with high accolades falling for Peter. "That's kind of cute."

"They were almost perfect for each other," Eddie explained with a genuine smile. Then the serious look came back as he continued, "But she was a bit afraid that Peter was wasting his talent by being an accountant at a company he didn't love, so she encouraged him to do more and take on harder projects."

"I thought the same thing about him," Camilla responded, scratching her head. "I figured he'd be happier leading a different company."

"Well, the truth is, they decided they were ready to have kids and he thought it would safer to stay an accountant for Sunshine. Leaving the company was something he intended to pursue once they were more established."

"Oh..."

"Now that... Irene is... gone... He might be taking on this project... as a fulfillment to her... He would have never accepted this if she were still alive."

"Yeah, I can see that," Camilla said with a bitter smile.

After a deep breath, Eddie stared into Camilla's eyes, gritting his teeth. "Peter is so goal-driven... Kenny and I... we're just afraid... we're afraid that after he finishes this project... he may not see a reason to live any longer..."

Immediately, Camilla's eyes became big as she sat there, completely frozen. There was nothing she could say in this moment; nothing would make it right. All she could do was sit there and feel small as Eddie continued to express his worries.

"Look... this is hard to explain," Eddie expressed, shaking his head. "Peter is nowhere near emotionally stable enough to be interested in a woman right now, but... I thought it might be good for him to be friends with a woman like you... I know you guys will never be together... I just thought... maybe if he saw that he could actually look forward to seeing a woman again, that maybe he could see that it's possible to be happy again. I know it's a stupid idea, but Kenny and I are just so worried about him, we had to think of something."

Hearing those words completely flabbergasted Camilla. She sat there, shaking her head as she searched frantically for the words to say. "I...uh... I figured something was going on but... I didn't know you wanted me to help stop him from... ending his life..."

"I never expected anything of you," Eddie explained, not wanting the blonde to feel any responsibility. "We just hoped he could see the value in friendship again. Who knows, maybe it worked?"

After a loud groan, Camilla leaned in towards Eddie with the most concerned face she had shown yet. "I don't want him to kill himself! What can I do?!"

"To be honest, I think you've done a lot already. It's been really nice seeing how you've trusted him to lead this project, despite the rocky start you had with him. I'm sorry for not telling you but it had to be natural, or he would have figured it out."

Camilla clutched her fist against her heart and closed her eyes for a moment. "I can do more... What he's been through is awful, but he deserves to find happiness someday... And now the company's fate is in his hands... God, I wish I could do something..."

"That's right; the company's fate is in his hands right now," Eddie said. "And I wouldn't trust it with anyone else. But maybe once that's over, you can help him realize what an asset he is to the rest of the world, not just this project."

"I will... I promise I will."

A smile came over the man's face as he pulled out his phone. "I want to show you something," he said, flipping through his pictures. As Camilla looked on with anticipation, Eddie showed her the screen, explaining, "This is from Peter's wedding. I think you'll recognize some of the faces here."

As Camilla watched the video, a smile came over her face. She gasped from the pure joy of seeing Peter smiling as he played the piano, with Eddie standing next to him at the alter.

"I've never seen him smile before," she said, unable to hold herself back from having a joyous laugh. "He looks... happy!"

As much as that moment touched her heart, it was the next part of the video that had her in tears. Peter began playing the piece he played in the hotel for her. Then, the crowd stood up, and she finally appeared.

Camilla's mouth popped open as the tears came down her cheeks. "That's her!" she said, as she watched Irene being walked down the isle by Agent Parks. "She's so beautiful!"

"Their father passed away a few years before this," Eddie explained. "That's why Kenny walked her down."

Camilla watched the rest of the video, crying the entire time. Witnessing Peter genuinely happy, as well as seeing the woman he loved, moved her to more emotions than she had ever felt before. It gave her an insight into the man's life that she never expected.

"Thank you for showing me this, Eddie."

***

"So, how are the numbers looking, Peter?"

"Everything looks right to me, Miss Sasha."

"And you think you guys can turn this momentum around?" the Moonlight president asked during their meeting over the phone.

"I do," Peter answered staring at the documents. "I have everything I need."

"You know, Peter... this is a big mess we have on our hands. I know in the past, some of us haven't seen eye to eye with you, but we're truly desperate at this point. I really hope you can deliver because the entirety of Sunshine needs you right now."

"Understood, Miss Sasha. I will do what's necessary."

"Thank you, Peter. And I'm sorry we didn't come to you earlier. You've always been a great asset to our company."

***

Doing her best not to appear frantic after the news she just received from Eddie, Camilla made her way to the bar to talk to Peter before heading to the airport. It was their last day, and their flight was only a few hours away. She knew this might be her last opportunity to talk to Peter and tell him how she felt.

He was just as he always was, sitting by himself, drinking from a half empty glass. Camilla almost felt stupid for not realizing someone like him could be contemplating his own death.

"Hey, Pete..." the blonde greeted as she approached with a smile. "How is everything looking?"

"Everything is good, Miss Camilla," the man responded, looking at her curiously. "Since when did you start calling me that?"

"I was just trying to be friendly. Do you not like being called that?"

"I don't care. It was just an observation."

Camilla chuckled for a second as she struggled to collect her thoughts. For once, she didn't have a speech in mind, but she knew there was something she needed to say.

"Hey, Peter..."

"You're calling me Peter again?"

"Yeah... I just wanted to say... I'm really worried about... err... this company... Do you think... it... will survive?"

Peter stared into the woman's eyes coldly. The paperwork was done and everything was prepared. "I'm confident in what I'm going to do."

"You know, it's kind of funny," Camilla started as she shrugged her shoulders. "I used to dislike you so much, and yet, now it feels like the company is in your hands, and there's no one else I would trust more with it. I don't know if you know this or not, but you're the best supervisor I've ever had. You're an amazing leader, and I hope you continue to lead after this project is over."

Continuing to stare at the suddenly emotional woman, Peter took a moment before asking, "Is there anything else you'd like to say?"

"Yes, actually," Camilla expressed with a sparkle in her eyes. "I know it's our last day, but after this is all over, I hope we can remain friends."

The blonde then nodded her head at the silent man before walking off. She didn't expect a response from him, she never did, but there was satisfaction in her heart after explaining the importance he had in her life.

"Miss Camilla," Peter called, stopping the woman in her tracks. As the blonde turned around and looked at him, he simply said, "We're not friends."

After a little chuckle, Camilla reassured, "You and I are friends." Then, just before walking off, she continued, "We're friends whether you like it or not."

Peter just sat there for a moment, watching the blonde as she walked away. "Hmm?" he reacted, before finishing his drink.

***

That evening as three Moonlight members arrived at the airport, there was a calmness in Camilla's mind that she had not experienced in a long time. Though not every question had been answered yet, and not every wound she arrived with had healed, she had the peace of mind that the necessary steps had been taken for the next chapter in her life.

There was no quick fix for the heartbreak she suffered before coming to Los Angeles. However, she knew that she was no longer alone in this world with all the special connections she made.

Although Peter would never admit it to her, she felt accepted by the boys and was now part of something bigger than herself for once. And though she cherished the work relationships she had, under Miranda and Jane, nothing made her prouder than the work she had done with Peter and Eddie.

Leah and Fang were able to make it to the airport to see the group off. It brought a big smile to Camilla's face to see them one last time.

The statement she made in the hotel room was true. It had been a long time since she had friends she could just hang out with. Fang and Leah were more to her than that, though. They were a source of never-ending support that helped the desperate woman when she was at her worst. Because of them, Camilla knew she could face any challenges that were ahead of her.

When the group landed back in New York, they quickly said their goodbyes before going their separate ways. Camilla gave Eddie a big hug and thanked him for all the help he provided her. They even made arrangements to meet is wife and daughter someday.

Camilla wasn't expecting much from her goodbye with Peter. However, she was just happy to wish him well and thank him for trusting her to be part of the team.

As she wrapped her arms around him, giving him a big hug goodbye, Peter left his arms by his sides. Then, for a moment, he lifted one of his hands up but then stopped himself before touching the small of her back. He clutched his fist for a moment before returning it back to his side.

"Goodbye, Miss Camilla."

"Goodbye, Peter. And once again, thank you for everything. You did more for me than you'll ever know."

***

As I look back at the last month of my life, I can't even begin to explain how thankful I am. Who knew after that random phone call I received that I would be part of something so special? And who knew I would meet such amazing people?

There aren't enough words in the dictionary to describe how lucky I am to have met all of you. So, one by one, I want to do the best I can to pour out my gratitude.

I want to thank you, Fang, for showing me how to smile, even when life is beyond cruel. You're so cute and so bubbly; and you're one of the most beautiful women I've ever met.

Things started out a bit clumsily for me when I had that pepper stuck in my teeth. I'm just glad I was able to prove myself worthy to you and help you achieve the life you deserve.

I want to thank you, Leah, for giving all the support I could ever need and more. You showed me that if one person cares enough, they could be everything and more to the one that needs them the most.

I'm sorry I ever compared you to Jane. Though you might look a fraction like her, your level of maturity, persistence, and overall awareness of everyone's needs is beyond amazing. You say you trust my judgment, but I don't think I've ever met anyone with better judgment than you.

I want to thank you, Eddie, for just being a great person. While Peter can be difficult to talk to, you were always there to fill whatever role needed to help me in my position.

You also displayed a love any woman would be lucky to have. There was never a single sign of weakness in your devotion to your wife and daughter, even with all the beautiful women walking around. I never even once saw your eyes fixate on anything besides the tasks at hand.

Last but not least, I want to thank you, Peter, for allowing me into your life, even if it was just a moment. You chose me, knowing that we wouldn't like each other initially, but you trusted me and I trusted you, and that's all that matters in the end.

You have a hard exterior, but I know you're still hurting inside. I noticed you almost hugged me back, and that meant more than the world to me. I can't wait for the day when you're healed enough to hug me back, and I especially can't wait for the day I finally get to see you smile.

I started this chapter of my life thinking it would help me move on from my failures. I don't know if that happened or not, but now that I met all of you, I have a new sense of hope that I'll find what I'm looking for.

Maybe I haven't found what's right for my career, but I think I'm on the right path. And maybe I haven't found true love, but I found people that are truly worth loving. Perhaps I'm still chasing Eden, but for the first time in my life, I know it's out there.

***

Sitting in the chair of her old office, Camilla had a smile on her face as she talked to her former coworkers. Noticing her enthusiasm, Jane pointed out, "I don't remember the last time I've seen you this happy. You must have had a real good time in LA."

"I'm just excited about the Shareholders' Meeting today," the blonde explained, tapping her hands on the armrest of the chair. "I've never been to one before, but I'm so proud of my boys; I want to go to support them."

"You keep calling them your boys," Jane said with a chuckle. "Are you three really tight now?"

"Maybe I'm not the best of friends with them, but I think I'm part of the group now," Camilla said, proudly. "But if I'm being completely honest, I think they just appreciate me for the specific role I filled. I don't know if they'll ever need me again, but I want to support them today as an ode to our time together."

A giant smiled came over her former coworker as she nodded her head. "Well, I'll be there too so we can go together. And I can't wait to see how the shareholders react to the presentation."

***

When the women got to the auditorium where the Shareholders' Meeting was taking place, Camilla was a bit taken aback by how many people were there. There was security everywhere, and many important-looking people as well. She knew it was a big deal, but the tension in the room was something she never suspected.

As Camilla sat in the audience, next to Jane, she could hear the rumblings going on amongst the people around her. Apparently, there was an emergency, and the Chief Financial Officer wasn't able to make it. This meant that Peter would be doing the entire presentation on his own.

Though this prompted extra anxiety to the Sunshine executives and all the important shareholders, Camilla assured everyone she knew that Peter was more than capable of handling it on his own. Then, when no one was watching, she clasped her hands together, and said a silent prayer, wishing Peter the strength and wisdom he needed to handle this presentation.

Suddenly, Camilla's eyes lit up as a man and woman took a seat next to her. Although she already knew who they were, based on the pictures from all the company's websites, she was still in awe from meeting Marco and Sasha for the first time.

There was also word that the CEO, Gregory Hawthorne, was in the back of the auditorium, watching from afar. As Camilla and Jane turned their heads to look, Sasha pointed him out, making the women understand how important this Shareholders' Meeting truly was.

"I want to thank you for all your hard work," Sasha said, whispering into the ear of the blonde. "Most importantly, I want to thank you for keeping Peter and Eddie in line."

Hearing the conversation, Jane leaned over and gave her own praises for her former coworker. "Camilla is excellent at running a business. I never doubted for a second they would be successful, because I knew she would make sure everything went smoothly. As a matter of fact, I don't think I could have handled running a branch if it wasn't for her guidance."

Just as Camilla was about to smile from the compliments, she noticed Peter and Eddie walking on stage. The sight of her boys produced an even bigger smile on her face than any compliment could have given her.

As Peter set a couple of briefcases on the table, he pulled out a laptop that connected to the projector. There, he set up the slides for the presentation he had for the shareholders.

In this moment, there was no more denying the rumors. Peter was really presenting on behalf of the entire company, and Sunshine's fate was in his hands.

Although Camilla had admitted to herself she wasn't the most knowledgeable when it came to financials, it was still important to her to watch and listen closely as Peter presented. Maybe she didn't know what all the numbers meant, but it was essential that she at least paid attention, seeing as this was such a key moment for Sunshine Industries.