Chasing Eden Ch. 10-13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Just keep an eye on both of them and tell me whether I should step in or not. I'll stick to the plan for now, but as soon as you notice anything about Peter, we need to start taking precautions."

***

A few days later, Eddie met Agent Parks in a little conference room at the hotel. It was five-AM, so hardly anyone was awake to notice either of them when they passed through the lobby.

"Thanks for meeting me so early, Kenny."

"This isn't that early for me," the agent responded. "I know it's not for you either. But how about Peter? Is he sleeping at all these days?"

"I highly doubt it. He's probably still awake, drinking at the bar. That's where he's been doing most of his work."

"I almost forgot he started drinking," Kenny said as he thought about the way things had changed over the years. "Have you noticed anything else lately?"

"I have, actually...," Eddie answered. "There have been a few signs that are quite concerning. For one, I've noticed Peter keeps an eye on one briefcase more than the other. Now that I think back to it, he checked both of them in on our flight. I'm assuming one of them has a gun, but he checked both of them in so I couldn't distinguish a difference between the two."

"That's pretty interesting... but it makes sense. I know he doesn't keep it on him, so leaving it in a briefcase would be a logical explanation."

"Peter also made an interesting comment the other day," Eddie pointed out. "When we talked about the company we're planning on starting, he suggested that I would make a good CEO. The plan was always for him to be the CEO, so by him making that comment, it felt like he was planting a seed in my head so that if he wasn't there to start the company, I would still do it."

"As in, he's not planning on living that long?"

"Perhaps... That's why I'm afraid he might diverge into his own plan once the opportunity presents itself. On the outside, he still presents himself to be calm, but on the inside, he must be cracking."

"Well, all three of us know he can't maintain this forever," Kenny pointed out. "We just need him to get us close to the finish line before he reaches his breaking point. Then we'll take over and make sure he's safe."

"Hopefully, we can do that and keep him safe," Eddie said with a nod. Then, changing his tone, he explained, "There is one other thing that I wanted to bring up. And it might be our key to protecting him."

"What is it?"

"That girl we brought along, Camilla... She likes him for some reason, and constantly seeks his approval, despite how cold he is to her."

"Do you think she actually wants to be with him?"

"I doubt it... but they have such a weird dynamic... And he's not just being rude to her either... It's like he's actively pushing her away..."

"Hmm..."

"I'm not saying they would ever be together," Eddie quickly pointed out. "But I wonder if he could just accept that someone like her cares about him, despite the way he treats her... maybe he'll start to find reasons to move forward and live."

"It's worth a shot," the FBI agent said, pulling out his phone. "I need to speak to her, anyway. Maybe we can get a better idea of what impact she could have on his life while I'm at it."

"There's no point in calling her right now... She's one of those people who likes to sleep in."

"What time does she normally wake up? Like... seven?"

"Even worse... Eight... Maybe eight-thirty..."

Kenny shook his head as he put his phone back in his pocket. "I'll just text her later..."

***

A week after the funeral, Kenny invited Peter over to his house. Though not much was said when his wife and son were around, the FBI agent was just happy to have his brother-in-law over so he could check up on him. But as they were about to part ways, they stepped into Kenny's office for a private conversation.

"Thanks for coming over, Peter. I know it's been really difficult for you... It's been difficult for all of us... I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Yeah..." Peter responded, staring off as he nodded his head. "I guess I'm as okay as one could hope..."

"You know, Peter... I'm here for you..."

"I know..."

"Before you go, I just wanted to let you know something," Kenny started with a deep breath. "Ever since our father passed, I've taken pride in looking after Irene... and... I hated the idea of anyone dating her at first... No one was good enough for my sister...

"I can remember when we were younger, and guys would have crushes on her... It pissed me off for some reason... But it was just never that way with you...

"From the second she told me about you, I just knew I was going to like you... She would light up whenever she talked about you... I couldn't help but like this person who made her so happy...

"As smart as Irene was, she always followed her heart... And like her, I knew in my heart that you were the long, lost brother I always wanted..."

Placing his hand on Peter's shoulder, Kenny continued, "I just wanted to make sure you know... even though this tragedy happened... you're still my brother... and I love you."

Despite pouring his heart out, Kenny wasn't surprised to see a lack of emotion from his devastated brother-in-law. Peter just continued to stare forward, looking off into space.

Finally, as Peter turned towards Kenny, he broke the silence by asking, "Is there going to be any investigation for her crash?"

"Investigation?" Kenny asked was a surprised face. "Like a crash report?"

"No, like foul play... Is anyone going to investigate this for foul play?"

"Peter... there was only one car on scene... There's nothing else to go off of."

"Right..." Peter replied, nodding his head as his eyes got bigger. "You know... Irene was a very slow driver... and there were no skid marks... It doesn't make sense that she had the speed to go through those rails."

"Okay..." Kenny hesitantly replied as he started to worry about his brother-in-law. "This seems like a coping mechanism because it makes little sense to you that she died so suddenly... It was raining and anything could have happened... "

After a long pause, Peter looked off into the distance again before making a shocking revelation. "Her brakes were cut..."

Kenny came to a sudden pause as his body went frozen. Stepping in front of Peter, he asked, "What do you mean her brakes were cut...?"

"The insurance adjuster didn't want me to get a good look at the car..." Peter explained as he faced his brother-in-law again. "He told me there was too much damage to make anything of the specific parts, but... I got a clean look... and those brakes each had a cut much too clean to just be from the crash... That explains why there were no skid marks..."

"Peter... what are you saying?" Kenny asked, shaking.

"They killed her..."

***

Later on, during the trial, Marco met with Sasha and Greg Hawthorne to brief them. Showing a bit of frustration in his face, the lawyer gritted his teeth and explained, "Things haven't been going well... They seem to know what they're doing. "

"Should we warn the employees?" Sasha asked, folding her arms. "Or is it too risky to let them know?"

Looking on with his eyebrows furrowed, Hawthorne explained, "If anyone catches wind that things aren't going well, they'll start to resign, and our company will definitely go bankrupt. Tell those idiots whatever's necessary. And Marco... you need to pull out all the stops. This is what I'm paying you for, isn't it?"

"We still have one trick up our sleeves..." the lawyer explained as he checked this phone. But then, as a message popped up, his eyes locked onto the screen. "Wait a second... I just received some interesting intel..."

"What is it?"

"Apparently, Peter has been released from that facility... He must have agreed to be taken into someone's custody... I don't know why they would do this though... It gives us a chance to cross-examine him."

"They better have that psycho under control if they took him out of the crazy hospital," Hawthorne said, staring at Marco with fire in his eyes.

"Whoever pulled him out is responsible for him... It must have been either Eddie or Kenny Parks... Either way, he's in their custody, so they have to allow us to expose him in court... Yes, this has opened up a whole new avenue for us..."

"I'll round up the team for an emergency meeting," Sasha quickly said.

"Yes, and make sure our secret weapon is ready."

"Will do," she replied, before looking over at Hawthorne. "Will you be joining us at the meeting this time?"

Hawthorne looked on, fuming from the information he just received. "I don't trust them to keep that maniac under wraps... It's best I just shelter at home until this is all over."

***

That same evening, Kenny paced back and forth in the office of his house. Despite several attempts from his wife to get him to come out, the FBI agent spent several hours in there, reflecting on everything that happened up to this point.

Why am I shaking? he asked himself as he looked at his reflection in the window. I should be just as angry as you, and yet, my part is coming up, and I'm more nervous than ever.

Ever since we had that conversation in this office, you've been on a warpath, and nothing would stop you until you made things right... Why don't I have that same courage? Why don't I have that same conviction?

On that day... when you came running around that corner... I could see in your eyes that you were one-hundred percent committed to your plan. In that moment, I knew I only had one shot at stopping you with my taser, and if I didn't get you with both prongs, you would have pushed through me and found Hawthorne...

Eddie's plan didn't work the way we wanted it to... You still went rogue, and I don't blame you... You tricked us by switching the gun into a different briefcase... But if it hadn't been for Camilla stopping you in the hallway, I might be without both a sister and a brother... So in a way, Eddie's plan did work.

Luckily, you calmed down when I whispered into your ear that I would take care of the rest. You were in handcuffs by that point, and we got you out of there before anyone could see the rage exploding out of you. Still... I need to hold my end of the bargain.

I need to be as decisive as you. I need to be as decisive as Irene. Once we win the civil case, we'll be able to launch a federal case, and all the injustices will be uncovered. Everyone will pay.

Until then, I just need you to stay in that mental institute so we can ensure your safety.

Suddenly, Kenny's concentration was interrupted by the ringing of his cell phone. After looking at the screen, he put the phone to his ear and answered, "Yes, Eddie?"

"Kenny... we have a massive problem... I'm talking worst-case scenario massive..."

***

At the emergency meeting, the head of almost every department was there, including Jane, Miranda, the other Branch and Area Directors, Marco, jack, and of course, Sasha. Also in attendance was potential Area Director, Camilla, who had arrived just in the nick of time to start the meeting.

After a quick briefing, Marco addressed everyone, updating them on the new case findings. "So the good news is that we have a great chance at winning this trial. The big update is that Peter has been released from the mental facility they were holding him in. Now, we can cross-examine him, and prove that he was a deranged lunatic who stole private information."

Turning his head in the direction of Camilla, he continued, "That's where you come in."

"Me?" Camilla asked as her eyes got big.

"Yes' Ma'am. After we cross-examine him, we need you to testify against his character. We need you to explain what a maniacal psychopath he was during the trip to Los Angeles, and that his only goal was to obtain illegal information to harm the company, and that none of it was done in good faith.

"What...? You want me to claim he's this evil psychopath...?"

"Yes, because that's what he is," Sasha interjected with a serious look on her face. "This is the only way to guarantee will win the trial... This is the only way we avoid bankruptcy..."

As everyone in the room focused their attention on the potential new Area Director, Marco asked, "Will you testify and save our company, Miss Camilla?"

There was an awkward pause as everyone awaited Camilla's answer. But as she stared on with a blank face, people started to wonder what was taking her so long to respond.

Finally, Sasha probed her by asking, "Camilla... did you hear the question? Will you testify in court for us?"

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Camilla suddenly began chuckling to herself, causing everyone to look on with confused expressions. Slowly, her giggling grew louder until she burst into hysterical laughter.

"What's so funny?" Sasha asked, growing impatient.

Everyone stared on, concerned, until she eventually finished laughing. Then, with a deranged smile on her face, she finally responded, "It's just silly that you all thought I would testify against the one person I trust here."

As a few gasps came across the room, Sasha spoke up and asked, "Just what the hell are you talking about?"

"I trust Peter more than I do any of you," Camilla explained, giggling to herself once again. "He's the only one that actually cares about me here. That's why he tried to keep me out of all this.

"If you all think he's so dangerous, why would you keep pushing me towards him, hoping I'd find some incriminating information on him? Does my safety not matter at all? It does to him, at least. He also thinks you guys are dangerous; that's why he kept pushing me away.

"For years... whenever I raised concerns or showed a desire to move up in this company, you disregarded me like I was the least of your concerns. Now, when you need me, you offer me a promotion but put a contingency in there, basically demanding I lie in court about him."

"It's not a lie!" Marco interjected, grimacing. "We are asking you to tell the truth about him... that he's a deranged psycho!"

"That's been the most difficult part of all this for me," Camilla explained, folding her arms. "Maybe Peter doesn't have the best people skills, but I understand him. He's probably the smartest person I've ever met in my life. How could such a savant be so wrong about the one thing he's truly passionate about?

If Peter is a deranged psycho, then what does that make me? I guess I'm the same, because I believe in him. You guys, on the other hand, seem to have done something incredibly wrong to him. Am I crazy to believe he isn't just imagining it?

"I will not be testifying in this civil case. I'm no longer a part of Sunshine, so you can't make me. However, I will testify when the criminal case comes up... against you."

There was chatter amongst the group as everyone was stunned beyond belief that the long time Sunshine employee would turn her back on the company. Sasha and Marco were so angry, they could hardly come up with the words to say to the woman they now considered a traitor.

"Good luck with your case," Camilla teased as she began walking away. Then, as she reached the door, she turned back and gave Sasha an evil smile. "Oh, by the way... I'm the one that released Peter from that facility."

A look of horror quickly came over Marco's face. "He's in your custody?!"

"Well, technically... he agreed to come with me, and I signed the paper saying I'd keep an eye on him but..."

"But what?!" Sasha yelled. "Where is he?!"

Shrugging her shoulders, Camilla answered, "I don't know... I guess he kind of got away from me..."

"That's fucking illegal!" Marco and Sasha yelled as they looked at each other, shaking in anger. "He's not allowed to be on his own! He's a danger to himself and others!"

"I didn't just let him go..." she explained with a smile. "I kind of reached my hand out to stop him, but... he was too fast..."

As Marco and Sasha looked on in horror, she continued, "Oh, and he said something about... revenge? I don't know who he's angry at... Would you all happen to know?"

"You crazy bitch..." Sasha reacted, shaking her head. "Do you have any idea what you just did?!"

"Uh huh!" the blonde answered while trying not to laugh again. Then, with a deranged smile, she further explained, "I let nature take its course!"

Throwing her fists down in anger, Sasha yelled, "I have to warn Greg!" before running off in a panic.

***

Earlier that day, when Camilla met with Peter, he asked her, "Did you get what you were looking for?"

With a chuckle, Camilla answered, "I was just confirming what I already knew..."

As Peter looked on, she walked around the table and approached him. Wrapping her arms around him, she leaned down and began whispering into his ear.

"Do you know what I love about you, Peter? You've been protecting me this entire time. You've been keeping me away from danger while they've been pushing me towards it... That's what I love about you... That's why I'm only loyal to you."

As Peter's eyes grew big, she continued, "They want to write you off as crazy... but maybe it takes a crazy person to understand another crazy person. I'm going to release you because you're the only one I trust... And I trust you to handle this situation the way you see fit. Don't worry, I won't testify against you."

Then, with a kiss on the cheek, she sent him off, after explaining, "By the way; they keep referring to you as a psycho, and Sasha referred to Irene as a criminal. She's the criminal in all this. That's what they want everyone to believe."

Peter's eyes suddenly became enraged. "Thank you," he whispered before standing up to his feet.

***

Later that night, while Eddie and Kenny were at Camilla's apartment, asking her what she had done, Peter was standing somewhere outside, staring at the moon. Wearing the same white shirt he always wore, except now unbuttoned to show his scars, he looked down in his right hand at his gun that he had reclaimed.

Taking his eyes off the moon, he gazed down and locked his eyes onto a house at the bottom of the hill. "It's been a long time coming, but it's finally here...

Judgment Day."

To be continued...

***

Chapter 13

Six years before this all started, a young woman with dark brown hair in a ponytail found herself walking around aimlessly at Sunshine's headquarters. As she went back to the front desk, she explained to the receptionist, "None of them could give me any answers either... Is there anyone else you can refer me to?"

"Like I already explained, our head of the finance department, Jack, is out at a big meeting. Maybe you can come back tomorrow when he gets back into the office?"

"I really need these forms signed today," the woman said, looking frustrated. "And even when Jack is here, he just sends me to other people who don't have answers, either."

"Well, Young Lady... I don't know who else I can refer you to."

After letting out a sigh, the woman asked, "Is there like a second-in-command for the finance department?"

"Yeah, but... I don't know if he'll be able to give you any answers, either."

"I guess I'll just have to take my chances..."

The receptionist led the young woman to a small conference room where she could wait for the second-in-charge of the finance department to arrive. Although the woman wasn't optimistic about where this would lead after so many other unsuccessful meetings, she waited patiently with her forms in hand.

Eventually, a man wearing a white button-up shirt with gray slacks entered the room. "Are you the one who wanted to see me?" he asked with an unenthused voice.

"Uhh... yeah. I'm the lead rep for Celltech Informations Systems... Are you the second-in-command of the finance department?"