Choices

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes, I do. It might surprise you but her life isn't all roses. Couldn't you just chill out and give her a chance to reconnect?" Lindsey begged.

"Seconds parts are never good. You should know it," he said with a hint of a smile.

"There are a few exceptions I can think of. The Godfather II, for example."

"Touché." Spencer rubbed his stubble, "Would you give her a second chance if you were in my shoes?"

Lindsey took a moment to think her answer, "I can't excuse what she did. I don't understand it myself. But, she's not the same person she was ten years ago."

"A diplomatic answer. You should be her press agent." Spencer smiled at Lindsey and continued, "What you said works for all of us, Lindsey. I'm not the same person I was ten years ago also, neither are you. The question here is, did her lifestyle change her for the better or the worse?"

They stared at each other for a while. Lindsey was the first one to look away because she couldn't take the intense way Spencer looked at her. Or the way she wanted to run her fingers through his hair, or...

"Only you can answer that, Spencer. And to do that, you need to spend time with my sister so that both of you can get reacquainted again. Just treat her gently, losing our father is still hard to deal with."

Spencer nodded. He looked at Lindsey till she blushed. Spencer had known many women during these ten years, even dated some of them for a short while, but none of them had ever affected him so strongly as Lindsey.

He was much too cynical to believe that he had fallen in love or anything like that, but he was feeling something deep in his gut, some instinctive reaction unlike any he had ever felt before.

Lindsey wondered if Spencer knew what he was doing to her. Did he know she was having a hard time trying to resist him? For a split second, when he told her his story, she had the crazy thought of quitting her job and moving back to Middletown to be with him.

However, it was an idle dream. There could never be anything between them.

She didn't care that the way he looked at her made her feel wanted and desired.

She didn't care that the way he smelled made her want to crawl under his skin.

"We could have dinner at your place. All of us," he finally said.

He didn't want anything to do with Melissa, but he wanted to see Lindsey again. Get to know her better. Find out if what he felt was the real thing.

Lindsey clapped her hands. "Great! I'll talk with Mom and Mel and we'll set a date."

"Thank you," Lindsey leaned in and kissed his cheek.

"You're welcome," he said kissing her cheek back. "I'm really looking forward to spending more time with you."

Lindsey stood up shocked to her core. For the first time in God knows how long, someone had noticed her. And not as a way to reach Melissa. Quite the opposite.

She walked to the door trying to clear her head. This was the man Melissa, her sister and boss, wanted and she couldn't entertain any kind of feelings for him.

"I-I'll be going now, Spence... I'll text you the details."

"You're going to need my phone number to do that," he said extending his hand.

"Right..."

Spencer took her phone and punched his number in.

Lindsey hoped Spence wouldn't notice the way her fingers trembled as she took her phone back from his hand. In those delightful seconds she touched his skin, her sister, her job, everything, faded from her mind.

It was only Spence.

Lindsey's cheeks heated. "Sorry." She took an awkward step back and bumped into one of the chairs surrounding the table.

Spencer held her hand to prevent Lindsey from falling.

"Are you okay?" he asked still holding her hand and caressing the back of it with his thumb.

"I need my hand back," Lindsey looked down at his hand holding hers.

"You know I'm only doing this so I can spend more time with you."

His words sent a spear of yearning through her, but Lindsey shook her head and whispered. "Don't say that."

"How long are you planning to keep on being her lackey? Don't you want to be free to explore what makes you happy?" The intensity in Spencer's gaze made her shiver.

"Please, Spence." She longed to surrender to the intense glow in his eyes and fall into his arms. "You need to focus on Mel, not me."

"I have to get going," Lindsey said, though the last thing she wanted to do was leave.

He reluctantly let go of her hand.

"Text me the details about dinner!" he yelled as she rushed out of the house.

CHAPTER 11

Never in her life had Melissa felt so out of control, so overwhelmed, so... angry. Tears of frustration spilled down her cheeks.

She should be able to decide whether or not she wanted to make a movie. It should be up to her what she wanted to do with her life. If she wanted to take a year off and travel around the world, she should be able to do just that. It was her prerogative.

But apparently, it was not. She was owned by her agent, her manager, and her publicist. By directors, producers, and screenwriters who depended on her. By the public. And by the damned press.

Everyone wanted a piece of her.

"You can't be enslaved to anyone else unless you allow it to happen," her mother told her when she shared her thoughts with her.

Melissa opened up an app on her phone and composed an e-mail to her manager, publicist, and agent.

I'm sending all of you this e-mail to let you know that I'll be out of LA for a while. How long? I can't tell right now. I have to take care of some personal matters. Very personal matters.

Please don't come looking for me. Let me have this time to sort out my thoughts and find my footing. I need to be away from everyone until I can get my head right. Please understand.

She paused, feeling the desperation in her words, and she knew she needed to end this e-mail with strength. Remembering that her agent, manager, and publicist worked for her, and not the other way around, she packed her closing punch.

If you don't respect my wishes, you'll only make this situation worse and you'll force me to look for a new team of people who have my best interests in mind. I'll contact you when I'm ready.

Before she could second-guess herself or change her mind, she sent the text.

At that moment, Lindsey came back with the good news.

"Spencer agreed to have dinner with us," she informed her sister.

"That's great! Tell him to text me the details about the day and the time he wants me at his place."

Lindsey made a noise of disapproval. "Don't you think it would be better if we cook a nice meal for him?"

"I can't cook to save my life and you know it," Melissa bit her lower lip. "What's wrong with me going to his place?"

Lindsey could see her sister was in Queen mode. She was used to people serving her at her beck and call. That wouldn't work with Spencer.

She carefully chose her next words, "It would look better if you show Spencer that you're putting in the effort to chase him. After all, you're the one who is asking for a second chance, Mel."

"There is a new restaurant in town. The food is great. I know Spence eats there at least twice a week. We can ask for takeaway," Melissa's mother suggested.

"Okay, then. We'll do that. Can you call them and ask them what's his favorite meal?" Mel asked her mother. Then she turned to her sister and added, "Send him an invitation for dinner for tomorrow."

"What time?"

"How about five-thirty? I think you and Mom can go to visit someone or take a long walk to give Spence and me some privacy," Melissa said to both of them. "I think I'll be able to handle serving dinner by myself. I played the part of a waitress in one of my last movies, From Maid to princess."

"Mel..." Lindsey blushed deeply, lowering her head and her voice. "Spencer was waiting to have dinner with all of us. He was very clear about it. If Mom and I are not here he might think it was a set-up."

Melissa frowned at her sister. "But it's not. How can I reconnect with him if you are around?"

"I think taking baby steps might be the best approach. If you try to rush things with him it might backfire at you," Lindsey advised.

Mel threw her arms up in frustration.

"I don't have time to take baby steps. It's not like we're starting from square one."

"No, it's much worse," Lindsey thought. But, she kept her opinion to herself.

"As you wish," Lindsey finally said, giving up trying to put some sense into her sister's head.

Lindsey was sad and disappointed that she would miss spending some time with Spencer again. But, on the other hand, it was a good thing to stay away from him. If she kept hanging with him, then she'd grow even more attached. And she knew that would be a very bad thing.

CHAPTER 12

Melissa's palms were sweating. She watched the clock and wiped her hands on her jeans for the millionth time. She had opted for a casual outfit of jeans, a T-shirt, and sneakers. She was trying to look like her old self.

She checked herself in the mirror. The jeans hugged the curve of her ass, and the shirt showed the outline of her breasts. Perfect. No man could resist her.

Ten minutes later, the doorbell rang and Melissa opened up the door to face Spencer.

When she saw him, a blush covered her cheeks. "Hi, Spence."

Spencer could hear the nervousness lacing her voice. "Good evening, Mel."

"Thanks for agreeing to have dinner with me tonight. I was afraid that you'd change your mind."

"You're welcome. I promised Lindsey I'd come and I've never broken my word."

The silent addition of 'unlike you' was implicit in the withering look he sent her way.

"Please, come in."

Spencer followed Melissa into the house, through the door leading to the kitchen and dining room.

"Will Lindsey and Evelyn be joining us?" he asked taking a look around.

"They wanted to stay but I thought you might prefer to yell at me without an audience."

The annoyance that flared in his gut was familiar and it made him long to walk off, but that would kill any chance to see Lindsey again.

"I don't think yelling at you after ten years would do any of us any good. I'm sorry your mom and Linds didn't stay."

"I thought the point of this meeting tonight was to rekindle our friendship. Their presence was unnecessary."

"If you say so." He said with a shrug. Giving in was exceedingly painful.

"Look, Spence, to this day I still don't forgive myself for the hell I put you through and the mistakes I made. After what I did I feel like I owe you dinner at least."

"It must be a hell of dinner if you're trying to make up to me for what you did," was Spencer's short reply.

"It's takeaway from the local restaurant. I've heard the food there is quite good. A waitress Mom talked with on the phone told her your favorite dish is pasta with fondue and Porcini mushrooms."

"That's right."

Melissa turned on the oven and placed dinner inside to heat up.

"It'll be ready in five minutes. Would you like some wine? I bought a bottle of Chardonnay."

"Yes that would be fine, thank you."

Mel poured two glasses and handed one to Spencer. Then, she motioned for Spencer to sit at the table. He pulled out her chair for her, something Brandon or any other of the actors she dated had never done unless there were cameras around.

"Thank you, you're still a gentleman."

"You can't help being who you are," Spencer said. Somehow he made it sound like an accusation. "Lindsey told me you decided to stay in Middletown for a while."

"Yes, we want to make sure Mom is going to be okay. My father had his affairs in order but even so, dealing with his death it's time-consuming and draining."

Spencer sipped his wine, expressionless.

"Losing Dad was a reminder of just how quickly everything can change. We never think things like that will happen, but they can, and unfortunately, they do."

"Your dad was a great man. He will be missed."

"Thank you. Mom told me you kept in touch with them even after what I did to you."

"Why wouldn't I? I know your father was deeply disappointed when he knew about the breakup."

Melissa took a long gulp of wine.

"You never told them what I did to you."

Spencer moved his shoulders up and down. "What would have been the point? They were not responsible for your actions. Knowing the truth would have only hurt them."

"Look Spence, It's no secret I want another chance with you. I'll do anything to prove to you I still love you. We were supposed to be together and I fucked up. Even being just friends would be better than what we have now. I want you back in my life so I'll accept whatever you are willing to offer." A tear slipped down her cheek.

"Mel, I don't want to sound like an asshole. But it's not realistic to expect us to be friends. You live in California and lead a busy life, full of activities. I love living here, and I love the quiet life," he said in a hushed voice.

Melissa looked up at Spencer through her lashes, her eyes locked on him. "I enjoy my career. I enjoy acting. But... sometimes I wish I would have never left you."

"Your Hollywood dream and our relationship were not compatible. Still aren't. If you had stayed with me, you would have always wondered what if..."

The timer on the stove went off and Melissa jumped up and hurried into the kitchen. She set the plates in front of them and took a seat across the table. They did some small talk while they ate.

"What is Los Angeles like?" Spencer asked.

"It's difficult to describe LA. There's are a lot of people, cultures, and ways of life. The weather can be really hot. The traffic is horrible. I'll admit, it's not for everyone. But we have Disneyland, nice beaches, and the Hollywood sign."

Spencer looked at Melissa while she talked and realized that she lived in a world he was totally unfamiliar with, filled with famous people and adventures reserved only for the rich. It was easy to forget that she was a celebrity and he reminded himself that she was no longer the girl he once knew.

"As for the food. LA is not often mentioned as a foodie town, but because literally, every ethnicity has settled into some part of Los Angeles, there are restaurants devoted to just about every ethnic cuisine."

Conversation flowed fairly well. Once dinner was over, they sat down in the living room for coffee.

Spencer placed his cup on the little table and picked up the People Magazine that was laying there. He stopped at a page where Mel's picture was plastered across it.

Spencer took the magazine and read aloud, "Mel Dawn, most eligible bachelorette two years in a row. According to this magazine you are America's sweetheart, beautiful, talented, and famous, why do you want a relationship with me when you can have any man you want?"

Melissa let out of long sigh at his words.

"You shouldn't believe everything you read in magazines," she took the magazine from Spencer's hands and looked for a particular photo. "See this picture? That day I was sick. I felt like shit and my agent dragged my feverish ass out of bed to get my prescription filled."

He leaned closer and looked at the picture. "You look happy to me. Of course, you're wearing sunglasses so I can't see your eyes, but you look content enough."

"Yeah, because I have to look that way. If the paparazzi take a picture of me with a red nose and puffy eyes, the next day they'll be calling me a drug addict. Saying I was out all night partying and snorting lines of cocaine."

Melissa threw the magazine on the table and let out a long, frustrated sigh.

"I don't want to complain, because I know I have an amazing life and I get to do things that most people only dream about. But sometimes things just aren't all they're cracked up to be. You know? For six years I worked my ass off. On a network show, you make 24 episodes a year. That means working 10 months a year, 17 hours a day. When the show ended I wanted a break. But fame doesn't work this way."

Spencer nodded at her words.

"You chose that life, Melissa. I'm sorry it wasn't everything you expected. The choices we make dictate the life we lead. We took different roads and we become two different people. Our lifestyles are different. I'm a woodworker who makes furniture and lives in a small town. You are a famous actress who lives in hotels and leads a glamorous life. You have guys throwing themselves at you wherever you go."

"You know nothing about the way I live my life," Melissa seemed genuinely offended. "Just the lies the tabloids report. This article in People Magazine was good publicity but that's all. Most of my romances were press-agentry. I would like to be able to be famous when it's convenient and completely anonymous when it's not." There was a haunting emptiness to her words as she fidgeted with her glass.

Spencer remembered people asking for an autograph or taking pictures at the burial. How many autographs was she forced to sign when she just wanted to grieve for the loss of her father? How many pictures of her did they take hoping to sell them to a magazine?

"I still long for you and the time when things were simpler. I was happy back then." Tears started welling in Melissa's eyes. "I walked away from the one great thing in my life because I was selfish. If I could, I'd go back and change it all."

Spencer shook his head.

"We can't go back and change the past. It's time to start looking at the future, Mel. Stop dwelling on what could have been and start making changes for better tomorrows."

The image of Lindsey came to Spencer's mind. He stood up.

"I think I'll better be going. Thanks for the dinner. It was good."

"I hope you had a good time," Melissa couldn't hide the look of disappointment on her face.

"Better than expected," he said honestly.

Mel walked Spencer to the door. "Thank you for coming. Thank you for listening. That meant a lot to me."

She leaned in trying to kiss his cheek, but he moved back and she kissed the air.

CHAPTER 13

"Hi, Linds," Spencer called, driving slowly to match her pace. "It's a beautiful sunny day, would you like to go for a ride with me?"

"And you just happen to be here in your truck with a picnic basket while my sister is busy with my mom?"

"Strange coincidence, isn't it? Must be my lucky day," Spencer winked at her.

"This is going to make Mel crazy."

"I won't tell her."

"You're not the one who has to deal with her."

"It's not my fault if your sister misunderstands our relationship."

"By 'our relationship' do you mean yours and mine or yours and hers?"

"Both," Spencer replied.

"You are nothing but trouble," she declared as she shook her head smiling, and climbed into the truck's cabin.

"So I've been told," Spencer smiled at her and took a road that led out of town. "It's going to be fun."

Spencer could see a million questions swimming in her eyes, but in the end, she simply said, "Do you have a destination in mind, or is this a make-it-up-as-you-go kidnapping?"

Spencer laughed.

"We're going to Indian Lake Campground."

"There goes my fantasy of a Caribbean cruise. Isn't that the place where we spent our summers when we were kids?"

"Yes, that's the one. It's still there, but it's quiet in Autumn. We can enjoy the colorful fall foliage without pesky mosquitoes and crowds."

"Too bad I left my tent in my other purse," she said gently poking Spencer in the ribs.

He rolled his eyes. "Smartypants. You do like ham, cheese, and mayo right?"

Lindsey blinked at the question. It was her favorite, but she had no idea how he knew that.

"Yes, I like ham, cheese, and mayonnaise," she agreed quietly.

Lindsey didn't know what she was doing. She felt out of control, and couldn't catch up with the turbulent sensations rolling through her body.

123456...8