Chosen Mate Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And there he was, centered in the discordant anomaly. He toiled among the early green plants that endured colder weather. She flew up to a post on the fence that ran across the back of the garden and watched him in puzzlement. Why was he so out of place with the world? What was the pain that burned so fiercely within him? Her curiosity compelled her to investigate.

She fed along the fence that enclosed the garden for the rest of the day. He was always in her sight as he prepared the soil for warmer plantings. Evening fell, and she was still there as Harry moved to other chores before retiring. She yawned and looked up to the Martin house, high on a pole over the garden. She slept there that night.

The next day Sandra sang a song of welcome to the creatures that moved around the garden in the early morning sun. She saw Harry step out of the house to appraise the new day and sent a chirp of welcome to him also. He had smiled then and hurried to the tasks waiting for him. Another day of work and observation saw them again retiring at lights end.

They spent the spring like that. She sang to the plants and living things. He pulled weeds while she sang and pollinated blooms as a bumble bee nearby. He smiled more often now. The balance in him was beginning to tip back.

Then came the day Harry watered the garden with his tears. She helped him in this also, leaving the earth misted in her wake. She sang The Song of Healing to him hour after hour throughout the day. She never knew why the day was so bad for him; when he closed the garden gate that evening, his step seemed lighter; a tired smile once again flickered about his lips. She flew to her perch, chirped out sweetly, and went to bed in her borrowed nest.

Donna came a few days later, bringing a message from their Father. Her concern burst from her along with her thoughts.

--What are you doing here, Sandra? You have not been home in some time. Father calls and you do not answer.

--It's him. She pointed at Harry. ...I cannot leave him; he needs me. Donna's incredulous surprise shone bright in her emotions. Searching Sandra's mind she saw the tiny fire of despair that burned within her; it wavered as she spoke again. ...I am trying to heal him.

--Oh sister, this is not some bird's wing that you can mend with song; Donna whispered in her mind. Stubbornness and determination jutted from Sandra's emotions. Donna sighed with defeat. There was nothing she could do when Sandra held prey or intent in her jaws.

--Tell me of him, she said. Sandra's thoughts swirled in Donna's mind as she explained Harry. They watched the catatonic gaze of the man and talked. He stared into the mirrored water of the koi pond until evenings shadows fell. Sandra slipped into the pond after Donna left. She changed into a red and gold fish and swam before Harry's lost gaze.

--See me Harry, see me. She called to him as she swam.

"Hello my beauty; where did you come from?" Harry said, as his eyes focused once more. He sprinkled the forgotten pellets of fish food that were in his lap on the water while his fingers played about the surface of the water. She touched them often as the koi rose to feed and found the sensation comforting.

Donna came daily after that. She could not sway Sandra as she followed behind Harry, singing to him as he moved among the vegetables.

Then Father came. She looked up as she felt his presence approach the fence. Dred was quickly overcome by her resolution as she came dutifully to his side. She could not meet the silvered sheen of his eyes. The impending storm of his emotions fell over her like a dark cloud. He shook his finger at her, as he did whenever lecturing his children on their responsibilities.

--I call for you and you do not come; his stern thought intoned within her mind ...Instead your mother and sister come telling me you are trying to heal a human. This is not possible. He has no broken limbs. His damage lies far beyond the capacities of The Song of Healing. You will attend my summons. His thought became stronger and more imperative with each word.

Irritation and stubbornness came from her. She flared like a sulfur match, burning brightly, and then forming into a young woman that glared at him, slapping the hand from her face. Surprise caused him to step back, gazing at his now thrice quickened child as she became an adult before his eyes. What a blessing. She was defiant before him. Her bright sapphire eyes and clenched moue faced him fearlessly.

--I can heal him now, Father. Her red and gold aura fanned angrily in the strong sun as she gathered its energy. ...I have the tools to finish the healing. Her head turned to where Harry was working and she brightened.

--Hide yourself! He said looking about. She dimmed but her eyes remained on Harry. She wanted to be seen, by him. She craved the feel of his eyes on her. Her intent was clear. He tried again to turn her back to her duty. ...I would have the pure seed of the people spill once more down the river. Come away and choose another.

--There are none for me except him now, Father. He calls to me I must go to him. Her tears fell, fed from the tiny fire that burned within her. Lord Sand pulled her to him and let her tears wet his chest as she sobbed in his embrace. He sighed and relented. Her fire could not grow stronger.

--There are three paths you can take. He began. She interrupted his thought with a rushing reply.

--I know one. Sandra began, sobbing. ...I am ready to accept that path. He cut the thought off quickly in fear and loathing, speaking softly to her.

--You are forbidden to take that path. I would have you lead the people after me. Forbidden, do you understand?

--Yes Father, I hear, and the second path? She turned to look up into his face that looked over the garden in introspection.

--I could leave you here as you are. I cannot take that path Daughter; I would fail in my service to you and the people. She saw tears shimmer in his eyes and turned her face back into his chest.

--And the last path? Sandra thought to him from her protected place in his arms. He took a deep breath of resignation and spoke into the distance.

--You will sing to him The Song of Following. Sandra squealed and made as if to go to Harry. He crushed her anxious start to his chest; his thought was iron in her mind. ...Hold! Would you know the cost? She trembled silently in his arm and waited. ...You will go see Donna for instruction in your cover identity immediately after. Just appearing without one is madness and sure death for us. You will train; there is much to be known about moving among humanity. Silas will instruct you at the bar. He knows well the hearts of men and their ways. Harry's image came from father's thoughts. Sandra trembled again, waiting to hear. ...He will enter my service or all is for naught. Now, Donna has told me your stories about him. Tell me more of the things he does. I see profit and mischief about him.

She spoke long telling about him. Fathers interested eyes and interrogative thoughts sparkled with the information she gave. Questions and answers stopped at last and they were silent together. Then she was released with a kiss and admonition to attend her duties and new responsibilities once her song was finished. He turned away to those that waited for him. Her song was a yearning sound behind.

She sped away; the first sweet phrase of calling brought Harry's head up to listen to the felt music. He cocked his head as a dog would, then set off among the rows to find it. He followed her around the garden looking for the unseen singer. Twilight came; the song ended, leaving him turning in the silence, looking for the one that had called to him. When she sang the song next, he would find her. She shook off the memory and moved into the garden.

Limestone flags led to the small koi pond, littered with water lilies and surrounded by beds of strawberries and asparagus. The bright fish swam lazily, seemingly enjoying the dappled sunlight filtering past tree limbs shading the pool.

Skipping down well fitted steps, she entered the garden proper, passing rows of onions, peas, potatoes, cucumbers twining through canes staked and tied together, squash, melons and beans. She found the woman there; striding forward, hand open and outstretched, smile on her face, she said.

"Hi, I'm Sandra. I love your garden. It must be wonderful to have fresh vegetables anytime you want them."

She was thin, wearing a straw hat with a scarf tied around the crown, slacks, and a light blouse. Sweat sheened her face; a bucket half filled with green beans was at her elbow. The woman straightened from her stooped position, removing a glove to grasp and shake Sandra's hand firmly, as she smiled openly with her entire face.

"Maddie Hill, it's good to meet you. Yes, I do love this garden myself, but fresh produce does require a bit of work." She replied, studying the bright intelligent face regarding her.

"Hot work" Sandra responded while placing the glass of ice water she carried in her left hand in Mrs. Hill's work gloved one. Crossing to the opposite side of the row, she began picking the ripe beans silently.

Maddie sipped the cold water in silent appreciation while appraising Sandra's slim form as she stripped beans quickly from the plants and placed them in the bucket. How thoughtful she was bringing water. It also suggested an offering of greeting or supplication as a servant might perform for their masters. It pleased Maddie. She spoke easily and friendly as she once again bent to continue, holding the glass out to Sandra as she did.

"Yes its hot work but goes fast with conversation and companionship. Here you better take a few sips before the ice melts." Sandra took the glass in both hands, lifting it in a gesture that reminded Maddie of some ritual. Bowing her head slightly and looking back, she raised the glass draining it. Sandra began picking again after setting the glass beside the row. Where had this woman come from? Maddie wondered as she too began moving down the row picking.

"So, you brought Harry home." She said, moving quickly to keep up with the young woman, glancing up now and then as she speedily removed the pods from the plants. That sounded more like a question than a statement. Sandra pondered her reply, then eyes averted, she spoke haltingly.

"Yes... we... ah... went out after I got off work at the Oasis. We went to Mildred's for breakfast then he let me... drive his truck around town. I was having so much fun it was near daylight before I realized how tired he was. I... tried to get him to rest for a while at my apartment, but he said he needed to get home to check on you. I should have driven him instead of letting him drive, but he was sober and insistent so I just followed him to make sure he made it here instead. He was so sleepy; I had to help him in and put him... to bed. He's sleeping." Then Sandra took a deep breath and blowing it out again sneaked looks at the woman busy on the opposite side.

Maddie's smiling face was hidden from Sandra's view by the brim of her down turned hat. She waited silently to see if she would volunteer more information explaining the hour or more she had spent inside.

"You have a nice house. I made coffee for when he wakes up. Hope you don't mind." Sandra said in a soft voice, unnerved by the woman's silence.

"Thank you for making sure he got home safely. I would have come to help you get him in the house but you seemed to have him well in hand. Also, I needed to get these beans picked. Harry will appreciate the coffee; He drinks it constantly." Maddie smiled inside pleased with her innuendo and what she was sure was a budding romance.

"You're so welcome, Mrs. Hill." Sandra answered, suddenly realizing they were at the end of the row. "Glad I could help. Looks like were finished here." They walked back discussing various aspects of the garden, stopping for a few red and green tomatoes on the way.

"Do you have any plans for tonight?" Maddie asked looking at Sandra seriously. Taken by surprise at what was clearly an invitation of some kind. Sandra stopped a hand on the kitchen door considering her reply. What she was planning was to nail Harry when he was awake, but she answered diplomatically.

"I'm off tonight but I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I thought I would wait and see if Harry wanted to... do something... or..." her voice trailed off. Maddie broke in before she lost it completely and exploded into laughter.

"Well if you don't it would be nice to have you with us for supper tonight. Speaking of food let's go in for some lunch. You can start that coffee and we'll have a little bite then relax for a bit." A hand on Sandra's back was enough to induce her to open the door and step in. Sandra stumbled for an answer, saying at last.

"I would love to take supper with you. Thank you so much for asking. I'll start the coffee now."

With the coffeemaker sighing out its efforts softly, Sandra turned to the table and helped Maddie make ham and cheese sandwiches.

"Do you like cucumbers?" Maddie inquired setting out a quart jar of vinegar, cucumbers, and onion slices. Not waiting for an answer she continued. "I think it may be too warm for coffee. Would you like some ice-tea instead?"

"I eat almost any kind of vegetable and tea sounds great." Sandra said searching drawers for silverware then placing forks beside the paper plates containing the generously filled sandwiches. They chatted about T.V.; Maddie liked soaps. Sandra watched game shows and the 'view', Dr. Phil, and sixty minutes, which they both loved dearly.

After lunch, which had been delightful combination of crunchy cold cucumbers and quartered fresh tomatoes and the sandwich, Maddie said.

"Now... time to relax." She retrieved the bucket of beans by the door and began snapping them at the table. Sandra's mind laughed hysterically, almost as quickly as her jaw dropped, when she discovered Mrs. Hills idea of relaxing was to prepare produce for preserving.

Smiling openly, Sandra cleared a spot on the table, putting the plates and forks beside the sink then washing them in hot soapy water with a wet rinse. Draining the sinks and wiping them down she returned to help starting her own pile of snap beans. The conversation wasn't so mundane this time.

"So, you brought Harry home." The sound of snap beans being reduced to packaging size was the only one for some time; then Sandra said.

"Yes, Ma'am." Maddie looked up at this, still steadily snapping beans with her agile hands; the girl had used the "M" word and washed dishes. She continued snapping, grabbing fresh hands full from the pile between them.

"Took a while to get him settled didn't it?" Slightly arched eyebrows, thin and grey, capped the eyes that continued to view the girl non judgmentally. Sandy was pinned by that remark; she thought she had slipped by on that observation. Nodding her head, she admitted the missing hour.

"Yes Mrs. Hill. It took both of us a time to get comfortable. He woke up while I was making coffee so I went back to check on him; he was back in bed. I covered him and watched him sleep for a bit. I should have gone home for a shower and bed, but I didn't want to drop him off and run."

Wow, she thought, I told the literal truth; I did 'cover' him, and very well I think. She snatched the budding smile from her lips before it could blossom. Meeting Mrs. Hills' eyes fully, she was surprised to see the laughing eyes duck behind the pile of beans, becoming very interested in the movement of her hands.

Maddie had not missed the reference more commonly used in horse breeding. Two love, she thought, and served a new volley.

"Well," Maddie said, looking at the clock over her shoulder. "After working and being with Harry, then putting him to bed, you've had a hard night and morning, haven't you? Go home and clean up; take a nap. We'll eat at five. You might as well pack a change of underwear and a toothbrush and spend the night too. Harry will find a place for you to lay your head tonight. Then he can show you his 4x4 trails tomorrow."

Double ace, Maddie crowed to herself. Sandra was relieved by the easy acceptance that Mrs. Hill displayed and suspected that the earlier pinning, performed by the old lady, had turned into needling.

***

It was near noon when Harry rose. The bed was wet with sweat and emissions from his dreams. The sheets were tangled, hanging half off the bed; they seemed to be trying to crawl to where the pillow lay under the library table supporting his T.V.

He sat up and moved groggily to the dresser, removing and donning underwear then walking unsteadily to the sunken kitchen on the other side of the house. As he prepared to ease his tired body through the arch and down the stairs, he looked up at the sound of voices.

His mother was sitting at the kitchen table with another woman, snapping beans and chattering companionably. He stepped back, preparing to retire to his room to put on a pair of jeans but stopped and peeked around the corner of the archway, across the landing, and down to see who was there. He knew this woman. Sandra's eyes met his. The night flooded back to his memory. It had not been a dream! He felt a sudden urge to clean the bathroom.

Seeing the two of them together he thought his heart would burst. They were not alone anymore. There was a life to share, cherish, savor, and look forward to.

--Whoa boy! Don't get ahead of yourself. Oldman cautioned strongly. ...Maybe, just maybe, there is hope, even for a broken down bastard like you.

The fear, that it was a temporary break in the long painful days of sorrow and loss, the fear of the future, hovered in Harry's mind like a heavy weight.

He squared his shoulders and entered the kitchen, stopping to kiss his mom on the top of her head while giving Sandra his gladdened eyes and a quick wink. Patting his mother's shoulder, he moved to the coffeepot. It was still hot. Thank God. Filling a cup and sweetening it, he walked around the table to kiss Sandra's hair and squeeze her shoulder; he gave his mom a wink also. He walked barefoot out of the backdoor to survey the day.

The heat and sun of mid-July burned his feet and body as he stepped quickly down the sidewalk and past the driveway. There was his 'bullfrog', sleeping under its favorite cedar tree; surprisingly it had a friend beside it.

The black Cadillac 4x4 SUV gleamed in the broken light shining through the branches of the tree. It must be Sandra's vehicle he thought. When had she driven it here? He walked around the Escalade while he inspected it, moving gingerly to avoid possible hazards in the lawn; He needed to mow soon. He liked the vehicle. It had comfort, performance, reliability, and style. He thought it suited her. But did he?

What qualities did he possess that complemented hers? Love of sex? Good old dirty screwing? Well that's all well and good but... basing a relationship on sex alone was... not bad, but not fulfilling either. He had played those bedroom games before. The deed insured you were kept contented physically.

Give me plenty of sex he prayed and raised his hand to God. But, women sometimes made you fight and plead for it, beg. You had to have more. He had been in relationships where sex was withheld ...for whatever reason; he had stayed because of the woman. Not because of duty, or honor, or responsibility, but because they were his friend, his companion, a person who would lie for you if the situation were dire enough.

It hurt so to do without. The pain undermined the benefits of friendship. He thought that maybe he could do without for her if he had to. She had innocence about her childlike in some ways. He loved that about her, Sandra was fun in a completely unpredictable ways too, quick tongued, impulsive, totally spontaneous.