Chronicle - Mel and Chris Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chris and Mel walked out of the conference room hand-in-hand to see an anxious Sandy stride rapidly toward them.

"There you two are! I've been looking...," she wrinkled her nose slightly as she reached them, looked at their heavy-lidded eyes and Mel's slightly smudged makeup, "did you two just have se..."

She couldn't quite speak the last word aloud.

"Quite the sense of smell. Oh," Chris was apologetic, "should we have invited you? We would've if we'd known. Had the impression you didn't like us."

They watched her close her eyes and breathe slowly and deeply, counting apparently.

"No...," she opened her eyes and spoke slowly and showed a smile that didn't hold much mirth, "but we have new news. You'll like it."

"Lead on," said Mel, she looked at Chris, both unsure how to read her changed mood.

Instead of the cafeteria Sandy led them to a tiered lecture room, about a third full with what Chris assumed was everyone working today and half of the journalists, an excited buzz in the room.

"There you are," Joyce's clipped accent, he caught Chris and Mel's eyes, they smiled and nodded at him, "have a seat here in the front. Quite the day you two picked to drop by. Chris, I think you really are Black Cloud!"

Chris just smiled. As with Sandy's cheerless smile, the laughter in the room was strained, even if Joyce still seemed happy to have them. He motioned to them to sit and then walked to the side of the stage and signaled to someone in the back. The room lights dimmed and a star-filled photo was displayed.

"Thirty minutes ago we got a call from Kitami observatory in Japan, with confirmation from Matterview in Switzerland. Others are reporting in. What we believe was an utterly boring K3 star, similar to our sun, went supernova. The Japanese first saw it six hours ago but of course, as it's not quite 33 light years away it actually happened near 33 years ago."

The screen changed to show a tiny dot surrounded with a red circle.

"That's near Ursa Major," said Mel, "but toward Bootes."

"Got it," Joyce nodded, a few murmurs agreed, "we should get a view of it in a few hours. But I'll note the Japan sighting that was the first was almost precisely the time our guests here walked in the front door."

Chris's jaw dropped as he worked out his implication. Joyce's tone was jocular but Mel stared at her lover, struck silent for possibly the first time in their acquaintance.

"I... blew up... a star? But they do that, don't they?" Chris said, Joyce smiled at him.

"Not these kinds, lover," Mel said, her voice husky but with a kind of awe as well as lust, she wrapped her arms around his right arm to keep it from flailing, "K stars are even longer-lived than our sun. Usually..."

"She knows her stuff," Joyce said, "ok, HR5256 is so minor it doesn't even have a name, need excellent eyes to see it without a scope. It's a bit cooler than Sol and much lower in ultraviolet output but if it did have a planet similar to Earth it could very well have hosted life, we just don't yet have the technology to find them. But with this supernova any and all life in that system will have been wiped out."

"What about us," Mel asked Joyce, "that's close!"

"Good question. From what's been seen so far," the man's face went a bit grimmer, "we think we're ok. We believe we're going to have some awesome aurorae for a while and likely some ozone damage but it's so far a simple type II supernova. Not such good news if anything was living THERE though."

"All right, then. It'll be all hands on deck tonight. We want everything we have pointing at this event all night. Mel, if you want, we have a team going through old pictures, we want to see if there was any variation of this star. You have great eyes, we could use the help."

Mel looked quickly at Chris, he saw the excitement on her face, nodded. She smiled up at Joyce and nodded.

"Chris, sit in with the computer guys? You built orbit hunting code from scratch, talk to our team, maybe some good ideas?"

"Least I can do," he said, a morose tone in his voice,"Black Cloud strikes again. So much for the Black Flag show."

Mel's silent 'wha?' and he mouthed 'later.'

"Ok, everyone, you know where you're going! Mel, Chris, hold on, let's talk quickly."

They nodded to him as the noise of numerous conversations picked up and people stood and filed out of the room.

"I'd rape the fuck out of you right now, but they might get mad," whispered Mel, "blowing up a star for me."

"I don't even know what star it was..."

"It's what you do," she kissed him quickly, then they stood, stepped up onto the stage and walked toward Joyce.

"Just one thing," Mel added quietly to Chris, "this was bad timing. We'll be yesterday's news now."

Chris looked at her with a puzzled expression.

"The only thing people will care about," Mel smiled sadly at Chris, "is will the sun decide to do this too."

They saw Sandy turn and step aside at the door, she looked back at them, her mood clearly bolstered by this turn of events. She turned away from them and slipped into the stream of people going to their various duties, her head held high.

A Night Out

Anna

Anna watched the light traffic from where she sat on the front porch. She liked the feel of her new brown boots, low-heeled and just over her ankles. She'd wanted ones like Jayne wore, with the big heels, but her beautiful brunette friend had discouraged her, said 'you're already so tall, Anna, don't scare them off even more.' She expected Jayne so they could go out to dinner at Some Place Cafe, her favorite restaurant in this city. Jayne so far had refused to take her to Crompton's, she had a new option for going there.

She saw the sporty, red, Camaro Z28 pull to a stop in front of the house on the left, strangers' cars filled the couple of spots in front of her ugly old two story house. Anna stood up and watched as the lovely young woman emerged and walked toward the house, her dark brown wavy hair parted on her left bounced loosely over her shoulders. Her snug, red blouse accentuated her large breasts above a flat stomach, tight jeans and the high heeled boots Anna so loved.

"Hi, Anna," Jayne said as she slowed at the steps up onto the worn boards of the front porch, the old house in need of any number of facelifts, "everything ok?"

"Of course,"Anna pouted in an affected manner, "just wondering if I'm going to starve to death here."

"Heh, it's Friday night and I don't have to work, take what you get," Jayne laughed, "anyway, I need the bathroom. Let me in."

Anna backed up and Jayne did a quick step to the main level bathroom. The tall woman walked into her bedroom, her door open as she debated what to put into her purse when Jayne entered the room.

"That's better," the shorter woman said, "ok, dinner, then I'm going to take you to the Green Parrot. That bra and blouse make your tits so damned awesome it's too bad I'm not a lesbian. Wait'll the pervs at the Parrot get a sight of you!"

"You sure about that," Anna tried to coo as she leaned over, the push-up bra and the deep, scoop-neck long-sleeve pullover top left huge, round cleavage, utterly unlike her normal loose t-shirts, blouses and jeans, "interested in a test drive?"

"Been there," said Jayne wistfully, "done that. Some parts of that night I'll always treasure. But yeah, I'm stuck on team 'I like to fuck boys.'"

"Me too," Anna laughed, "maybe you'll find one tonight?"

"Hah! Not a good look, my bosses told me I can take a camera truck out Halloween night if nothing 'big' happens, like an earthquake or whatever, do a feel-good story! All mine, just three weeks from now. One thing, I have to wear a mask."

"But you're so beautiful, Jayne, why?"

"Contracts, pay grades, shit like that. Oh well, it gets me in front of the camera once, second time be easier. Anyway, not good picking up some random dude in the pub then having him nudge his friends another night when I come on and telling everyone 'hey, I fucked her!'"

They both laughed, some sadness mixed in.

"So, do these jeans look ok," Anna said, "they're much tighter then my other ones."

"Men will kill to get their hands on your ass, ok? You should wear jeans like these more often! Anyway, get your stuff, you're driving. I'm drinking. Let's go."

"Ah, Halloween," Anna said, her eyes unfocused, "my new boy..."

"New boy? Hey, wait! What?"

"Oh, didn't I tell you?" Anna made a 'so sorry' face.

"You're getting scary good, girl... what's this about a boy?"

Anna put her purse strap over her shoulder and led Jayne toward the back door and her beloved Mustang in its parking spot.

"Classmate, he's taller than me! And he told me there's going to be a Halloween party..."

"What? You're...," Jayne smiled as she stepped past Anna so the taller woman could lock the back door, "and I'll have a camera."

They walked in silence.

"GOT IT!" Jayne exclaimed, "On the way to dinner, we need to stop and get some comics."

"Comic books?"

"Yup, I'll show you the perfect costume. You can take pictures on that padlet of yours and get them to make the costume for you, one that makes you look really, really, hot. And I know exactly what I'll wear. I can show you that too!"

Ultimate

Sam

Sam lowered her water bottle after a long swig of the cold water as she brought her breathing back to normal, the unusually hot, Indian summer weather almost halfway through October dried her ample sweat quickly. She saw Mel's cute ass and sweet legs in her tight running shorts as her black ponytail swung from her animated discussion with a couple of guys alongside the Ultimate Frisbee fields they'd laid out at Riverside Park. Sam admired that Mel's athleticism allowed her to match up against most of the male players and she'd laughed quietly when she'd seen a couple of guys silently insist on switching off of covering or being covered by Mel, tried not to draw attention while they did it.

"Remember last week," Mel said as she jogged to where Sam stood after her discussion as they watched the beginning of Chris's soccer game, "some of the other Ultimate guys said they used to play at Fairmont Park but it's all dug up now being rebuilt?"

"Um, yeah," Sam stammered a bit at the seemingly irrelevant point, her own, red ponytail bobbed at the motion, "so?"

"Chris's TA Dave said Peter used to play Ultimate at Fairmont," Mel said, "those two guys knew him."

Sam followed Mel's use of her water bottle to point to the two guys, they'd happily welcomed Mel and Sam to join them earlier that day after a short tutorial on the rules. Chris had taken them to the Medical Tower basement for his traditional breakfast, early enough so he could make it to watch the Uni women's soccer game which was just before his on the same field his game was on.

"Anyway," Mel continued, Sam forced to stay on the subject, "that one has info about Peter's old housemates, gave me his number. Said give him a call during the week and he'd look it up."

Sam wasn't excited about that but having this 'puzzle' seemed to pep them up and she liked that. Mel and Chris had been unusually reserved after their trip to the California observatory and she'd been worried they were upset at one another. But if anything she noticed they were more bunkered together but all Mel would say was 'he coulda blown it up NEXT month.' The supernova dominated all of the news for many days until it became clear the immediate effects were minor, for earth at least. That no one could explain the why and what that meant for the sun meant there was little room for attention for two college students and their strange obsession which left the briefing they'd been so excited about no more than a couple of paragraphs in even the specialist space magazines. Since the two of them were top of her 'people I care about who aren't my lover' list, Sam just tried to be supportive but was worried.

Ten days before classes began Chris had an interview with Dr. Carlstrom and was offered an independent research position. It wouldn't pay anything but it gave him a tuition waiver and so long as he graduated as planned at the end of the school year his entry into grad school was guaranteed. Sam was a bit jealous, she got paid and a tuition waiver for teaching labs, but she had to deal with snot-nosed undergraduates. That most of her friends were undergrads didn't seem to quite surface in her sense of annoyance. Nothing much changed for a couple of days but a week before classes started Chris, Teresa and Sam were all at the house and Mel was at work. Chris had been in his room on his terminal and when he came downstairs he seemed much happier. He even called Mel, who was temping at yet another law office, and said "I have something to show you..."

Sam had walked sneakily upstairs shortly after Mel had raced up there upon getting home and barely said hi. When she peeked, unusually they were fully clothed, Mel still in her work dress, hose and heels. But Chris was animatedly pointing at the screen and Mel was doing that weird, pogo thing with her ass that she did when she was happy and excited. After that, they were back to their 'best.' That it had to do with the disappeared Peter Miller and Carole Dzhavo worried Sam, but what the hell, was there anything REALLY bad that could come of their slight obsession?

Shouts from the soccer field as Chris's team scored their second goal in the first fifteen minutes of the match freed Sam from having to say anything and derailed her somewhat obsessive thought train. She was happy for that.

Ah," said Mel after another deep drink, "I really liked Park City. The first full day I was here Chris took me through the mountains and we stopped there and that day after Labor Day. But I'm not sure a degree in astrophysics will pay enough to afford those nice, sexy skirts and dresses up there!"

"You're funny," Sam said with a friendly laugh and definitely happy on the change of subject, "you're the biggest tomboy I've ever met, you're outrunning these guys in Ultimate... And you love wearing dresses and skirts and stockings more than any girl I know, not to mention those wild heels you vacuum in! When I was in grade school the biggest event was they finally let us wear pants!"

"Us too," Mel said, her own smile wide, "but, I like them, guess I have to admit I got it from my mother... but Chris likes them too..."

"He really likes the way you WEAR them," Sam's laughter clear, "I like that too. Wish I had the guts to do that..."

Mel's joy turned serious for a moment.

"That's why we met," she said, her smile returned, "and I like doing nice things for him. He does nice things for me. He bought me all those stockings!"

Sam's face was a study in amusement. She nodded.

"Speaking of skirts," Mel continued, "I need to tell you what we're wearing for our Halloween party... You and me. Watching Chris's team kick ass is boring. Park City doesn't look too good today. Let's go play over here some more."

She jogged toward the scrum of Ultimate players, reorganized down to a single game. Sam's question was stuck in her throat but as Teresa didn't seem excited about a paired theme whatever the demon had planned for Halloween it would likely be interesting. She ran to catch up.

Close to an hour later Sam heard one of the Ultimate guys yell 'last game' but she waved them off.

"I'm done," she shouted to Mel, who was out on the field and gave her a wave back, "I'll be sitting."

She watched the last few minutes of Chris's game, his team up 4-0 and clearly playing keep-away more than anything at the moment when she heard Mel yell 'open!' She twisted and saw the demon turn ninety-degrees just inside the end zone and her defender lost a step. Sam heard another defender, the one covering Mel's teammate with the disc, hit 'six' in his count when Mel's teammate quickly faked to his backhand then pivoted rapidly to his opposite side which freed him just enough and he released a sharp forehand throw perfectly weighted to allow Mel to make the game-winning catch between two defenders.

"Yeah!" Sam heard Mel and most of her teammates shouting, most of them and their opponents stopped and put hands on knees.

Sam turned as she saw the Ultimate players shake hands and watched the last few minutes of the Uni men's victory, a step above the Uni women's earlier draw. She felt two arms wrap around her from behind and cup her breasts, she yelped a bit as Mel's head landed on her left shoulder and teeth and lips nipped at her neck.

"Yum," said the contralto with a slight rasp, "dried salty sweat."

Sam smiled and turned her head as she heard the whistle end Chris's game, cheers on his side amid desultory stances from their vanquished opponents.

"Think they even worked up a sweat," Mel said as she put her chin on Sam's shoulder, her hands still cupped the seated woman's breasts, Sam caressed Mel's sweaty, bare arms.

"Not much of one," Sam answered, "not like last week's battle against Provo."

"C'mon," Mel said as she stood and folded her lawn chair, Sam followed suit, "let's go get Chris."

Just as they started they saw Chris wave quickly at them then he looked off to his right and an odd expression came over him. Sam and Mel followed his eyes and saw a young woman, thin, light brown hair in a pixie cut.

"That's Jess," Mel said with a puzzled tone, "the only ex of Chris's who isn't apparently dead or lesbian. Don't know which I'll end up."

"Hopefully the second," Sam stroked Mel's arm, "you'll be warmly welcomed."

Mel laughed. Chris walked about fifteen feet and met Jess, her expression seemed drawn. They saw her hand Chris an envelope then she quickly hugged him and turned and jogged away, like she was in a hurry.

He turned to walk back, saw Mel and Sam and smiled. A few teammates noticed them as well and chants of 'our favorite fans' broke out, the women smiled and both took bows. Mel walked up to Chris and kissed him deeply and slipped her arm around his back.

"Don't worry, Coach," she said to the salt-and-pepper haired Englishman who coached their team, "that's all he gets the rest of the season. He needs his energy for this!"

"That's it, my lovely," the softened British accent, "that'll have him right."

"Hey..." Chris said, but gave up given the cheers.

"Mel, Sam," said Ben, Chris's goal-scoring teammate and, Sam knew but hadn't told Mel, Chaos Kelly's cousin, "we're going to Der Rathskeller, come along, you two are much better company than Chris!"

More cheers across the group.

"Sorry, boys," Sam said, as she did her best come-hither pose, "I have a date with my girlfriend."

"Next week," Chris said as Mel nodded, "other plans too. See ya'll Tuesday!"

As Mel and Chris walked arm in arm and Sam walked alongside, Mel waited until they were out of earshot.

"What'd Jess give you?" Mel asked him.

"Dunno," he said quietly, "said it's just for us."

His tone worried Sam but Mel left it at that so she decided to just think about all the fun the day had been so far.

Halloween

Sam

Sam heard the doorbell and muffled shouts of 'trick or treat' at the front door. Chris and Bobby were in the backyard, Teresa was back in the basement, Mel upstairs and Terry had left a few minutes earlier to get Pam for the party. Others had handled the previous packs of candy hunters so this one was on her. Just past six pm, the sky darkened with the sun down and a full moon expected in an hour, she hoped this was the last ones since they hadn't known how many to expect and were down to the last few miniature candy bars. October had started with Indian summer that gave way to eight inches of surprise snow that melted in hours but this last week may as well have been August again. Tomorrow's forecast was for cold rain so Sam had no complaints..

1...456789