Claiming Treasure Ch. 46-50

Story Info
Secrets Always Come Out.
9.9k words
4.86
10.8k
21

Part 10 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/08/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,307 Followers

FBI Special Agent Lana Black's POV

Gander Outdoors, Hermantown

As soon as the All Points Bulletin came through, I was out the door and in my car. Racing to the scene, I joined the cop convention in the parking lot. Hermantown and Duluth Police, St. Louis County Sheriff, SWAT teams from Duluth and the county, everyone is here, except for Jack Coffey.

I showed my badge to the officer at the scene and ducked under the crime tape. "Who's in charge," I asked.

"Chief Larsen, he's up in the security office of the store."

I walked into the now-empty store and headed for the stairs overlooking the cash registers. As I was walking up, I got a call from my boss. "Agent Black," I said.

"This is Smallwood. Where are you?"

"I just arrived at the store. I'm going in to meet Hermantown Police Chief Larsen, who is in charge at the scene," I replied.

"We're on our way. Meanwhile, this is a FEDERAL fugitive, and the FBI is LEAD on this case. I want you to take over the crime scene and lock it down. All evidence waits for FBI crime scene techs. All surveillance belongs to you, and everyone on-scene reports to you. Let the locals handle the search, but Agent Black, YOU own the scene. Don't take shit from anyone."

I could see how that would go. 'Hey, this rookie Fed thinks she's taking over from us career local law enforcement types.' I had to ask. "Sir, what if they refuse?"

"Walk in like you own the place. Your orders come straight from the top- the FBI Director himself just called me and made it crystal clear. If they give you shit, don't take it. I'm sure he's on the phone to the Governor of Minnesota already. Call me back if you have problems."

"Understood, sir." He hung up, and I walked up the stairs, following the trail of cops to a door that said LOSS PREVENTION. I flashed my badge to the cop by the door then went inside. Five people packed the room, all surrounding a single store security guy with the surveillance system. "Gentlemen, I'm Special Agent Lana Black of the FBI. The FBI is taking jurisdiction over this scene as of now," I said.

"Bullshit, this guy attacked one of my men," a man in a Sheriff's uniform said as he stood up.

"Then go find him. My orders come straight from the FBI Director. Jack Coffey is a Homeland Security threat, and the FBI is the lead agency, so we now own this scene. Our crime scene personnel are on the way along with the Task Force. I don't want any evidence touched until they arrive."

"What the hell are we supposed to do? Sit on our thumbs and wait?" The man wore a Hermantown Police uniform with a Chief's stars. His nametag said Larsen.

"Not at all. You gentlemen have the local knowledge, and we have a fugitive on the loose. Go find him," I said. "Leave all the cleanup here to me."

"It's not going to be that easy," Larsen said. "Look at this." He tapped the security guy on the shoulder and told him to back up the tapes. The camera view showed the doors at the back of the store, and the loading dock from a camera mounted on the edge of the roof. He started the video as a man rushed out of the door and ran to a dumpster. "That's Coffey." The man took about five seconds to pull off his clothes, then became a huge dog. The dog ran for the fence before shifting directions to the cop car. It attacked the police dog, then the Deputy, finally jumping on the cruiser and leaping over the fence.

"The fuck," I said.

"Exactly," Larsen replied. "He's a fucking werewolf."

"We can't go on the radio and say we're looking for a werewolf," the Sheriff said.

"You can say you're looking for the dog that attacked your Deputy," I said as I thought quickly. "Back up until there's a good pic of the dog," I said. He found a profile as the dog stopped near the fence and turned. "Zoom in." He did. "Copy this and email it to the Chief here. You've got a dangerous wolf hybrid out there; it's already attacked a police dog and an officer. You have to find it and put it down so you can test it for rabies."

"I can do that," Chief Larsen replied. "We've already done reverse 911 calls in the area to warn of the fugitive. I'll put out another one about the dog." Reverse 911 was a newer system that allowed the police to make automated warning calls to specific neighborhoods.

"Use the press; there are dozens of them out there already. Email them a photo of the dog and get it on television."

"I can do a quick press conference," the Chief said. "Maybe say Coffey brought a dog with him and used the attack dog helped him escape?"

"That works," I said. "Meanwhile, the search for Coffey continues. Sheriff, you coordinate that. Did you find his car?"

"Not yet, but his keys were in his jeans," Larsen said. "We've started to set up roadblocks."

"He can't have gotten far on foot," the Sheriff said.

"Coffey is a suspect in multiple bombings. Nobody touches his car until the Bomb Squad gets here." They all nodded. I looked at the security guy. "I need you to go to the parking lot cameras and find out what car Coffey was driving," I told him. He switched the view and started backing up the video.

The Chief got a call, soon after the Sheriff did too. Both were short, telling them the FBI had the lead. "Chief, if you can leave a supervisor here to coordinate the crime scene and press, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, no one says a THING about what is on this tape. What you saw is highly-classified Homeland Security information."

"No one would believe me anyway," the Chief said. "All right, we'll play it your way."

The men left, leaving me with the store security guy. A few minutes later, and the cameras showed Jack getting out of a dark green Jeep Cherokee. "Thanks," I said. "Now I need the recordings as evidence," I said.

"You'll need a warrant," he said.

"Not on an active crime scene. Hand it over now, or we get the manager involved." He nodded and turned to the console behind him, removing a hard drive from the machine and placing a new one in its place. I put it in an evidence bag I had in my coat pocket. "You ever try getting in law enforcement, Billy?"

"I went to the academy in Alexandria, but there aren't many openings," he said.

"Keep your mouth shut about this. I haven't been here long, but you have skills. I could tell you weren't intimidated by all these men, you just did your job. Work with me, and I'll see you get a recommendation." I had to do something; he was about my age, and I couldn't pressure him the same way I could push around the local cops. There were tons of cop wannabes among security guards, and I assumed he was the same. "Do I have your word?"

"I won't say a thing," he said.

"Thanks, Billy." I walked out of the room and back outside. I got a text, the helicopter with my boss would be landing in thirty minutes. "Great," I said. Once he arrived, I'd be back to fetching coffee, so I had to do all I could.

I could see the Chief talking to the press corps, and a Sargent met me by the doors. "Agent Black, I'm Sargent Cooper, I'm your liaison with the police remaining on scene," he said.

I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. See that dark green Jeep?" I pointed to the lot, where it sat among a few other cars. He nodded. "I need a barrier at fifty feet around it. It's Coffey's car, and he might have bomb materials in it," I said.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Oh, and Sargent? Have the men turn off their radios and cellphones before getting close. You can't be too careful."

"We'll get it done."

"Good, I'm going around back." I walked around the side of the building to where more cars were. I could see the Sheriff's vehicle in its spot by the fence; no one was touching it now that the Chief had put out the word. I walked to the officer nearby. "Agent Black, FBI," I said. "How's the Deputy and his canine?"

"The ambulance took Deputy Brighton ten minutes ago. He was conscious and talking, but his arm was fucked up pretty bad," he said. "Two deputies took the dog to the vet about the same time. He was bleeding a lot, and one of them was keeping pressure on it while he held him in the back seat. No word yet on them."

"I need to walk the scene."

"There's not much. The Deputy was here, the dog was found there by the fence. You gotta see this," he said. He led me over to the dumpster; police tape blocked off that and the doors. A pile of clothes sat behind it. "Why would you run out the back and immediately strip?"

"Maybe he had a change of clothes," I said. "Cops saw him inside the store, and everyone was looking for a man of his description."

"Weird."

"Have you walked the fenceline? It's the most likely escape route from here, especially if cops are out front," I said.

"A little, but I was hoping something was on surveillance video that could tell us where to look."

"Cameras were out," I said. "We didn't get complete coverage." I could hear a helicopter coming, and knew my time was up. "I've got to get out front again. Thanks for your help, Riggs."

"My pleasure, Agent Black." He gave me his card. "If you get some downtime, give me a call. I'll show you how we have fun up here," he said with a waggle of his eyebrows.

"I doubt that will happen, but thanks anyway," I said. I only had a few minutes more where I'd be in charge, and I was going to enjoy it.

Billy's POV

Gander Security Office

I let out a breath as they all left my room. I locked the door behind me, then got on the computer and accessed the backup server.

These cops made a big mistake. Yes, I gave them the hard drive with all the video footage we were watching. Agent Black bagged it up and left with it. I'm sure the FBI would bury it somewhere in a vault where the public will never see it.

I know how those guys work. UFO's, Bigfoot, aliens, and now werewolves. Suppress, discredit, anything to keep the sheep in line.

I accessed the backup server and pulled up the video archive. Everything at the store was backed up offsite in case of fire, including the surveillance cameras. I found the video for the right time and copied the file onto a flash drive. It only took me a few minutes, and now I'd be set for life.

That FBI chick was hoping I'd keep my mouth shut? I didn't need to say a thing; the video would say it all. I had the guy in high-quality video, from three cameras, shifting from man to wolf. The flash drive in my pocket would be worth millions, and I was going to punch my ticket.

I just had to play it cool, and walk out of here without them taking it from me.

Ch. 47

Warrior Rick's POV

Hermantown, MN Gander Mountain

We met at our cars in the parking lot of the store as I watched the police move in on Jack Coffey. I'd made a quick call to Alpha Rori, warning her that Coffey was here, and Teri was still on the line with 911. "Mabel, give me your keys," I said. She handed them over without delay.

"Teri, take our car and take Mabel with you," I told my mate.

"I'm a warrior. I should stay here with you," she said.

"Alpha's orders. I'm staying here to watch what happens. My orders are to stay out of sight, specifically not to engage Coffey. He's a law enforcement problem now."

I could feel her disappointment. "FINE. If they let you in eventually, buy the clothes we left in the cart."

"I love you, baby." I felt the buzzing of my cellphone as cops started to flood into the parking lot. It wasn't a number I recognized. "Hello?"

"Rick, it's Peter from Oxbow. Your boss updated my boss on the situation, and asked me to help you with the problem since I'm a little closer and not being watched."

Beta Peter was a good wolf and ran Oxbow's security. "Of course, sir."

"What's going on now?"

"I'm outside the store, and the police are arriving quickly. My orders are to remain and observe."

"That's good. Work you way close enough that you can hear the radio calls for the police, and stay put. I'm bringing three cars of people, just in case. We'll be there in thirty minutes."

"He's in the back of the store and alone, sir. He won't get away this time."

Seven minutes later, I was eating my words. "Teri, where are you now?"

"Just passing the Target on Highway 53."

Too far. "Turn around and go back to Haines Road north, then west on West Arrowhead until you hit 53 again. Fucking idiot SHIFTED behind the store and attacked a cop. He's on the run, and we need to know where he's going. Keep the windows open and let me know where he crossed."

"Do you want me to shift and follow him?"

My stomach lurched at the thought of having a former Alpha turn and attack my mate. "No, it's too risky to be in wolf form in a populated area. Just keep the map going and see if you can follow his path. Alpha Ulfson is bringing warriors and trackers to help. DO NOT get too close to him, love. I don't want you guys getting hurt."

"I love you too. We're heading that way."

I called Beta Peter back. "Sir, a huge dog just attacked a Sheriff's Deputy behind the Gander Outdoors and ran off into the trees," I said. "The cops are freaking out, since their man disappeared on them."

"DAMMIT," he yelled back. "It keeps getting worse and worse. Did the Deputy get bitten?"

"Yes, sir. I've sent my wife in a car to see if she can spot the runaway dog. What are your orders?"

"Do what you have to do to keep things quiet, I guess. See what else you can overhear. I'll let your boss know."

"Thank you, sir. I'll update you with any spottings."

"In the middle of the fucking town. It's like he WANTS to ruin everything," Peter said. "Call me with any changes."

I put my phone back in my pocket and walked towards a lone officer. The police set up their lines in the parking lot, with Mabel's old car just inside them. There were a bunch of people standing around who had evacuated the building but hadn't been allowed to return to their vehicles yet. A van from the local TV station was already here, and I could hear a helicopter coming. I had done what I could to stay close, but I couldn't hear much. There was a lot of action behind the building where Jack had made his escape, but I couldn't get anywhere close to that. Teri linked me with an update, and I called Peter back. "They caught the scent of him crossing under West Arrowhead Road. He's following Miller Creek."

"Got that, are they moving north to intercept?"

"Yes, they are heading for Swan Lake Boulevard." A siren blared in my ear as it went past, the police line opening for it. "The ambulance is here, and they just took the dog away in a squad car."

"The dog is not my worry; it's no worse than any other dog fight for one of them. I need you to follow the ambulance and wait at the hospital for further instructions," Peter said. "Have Teri call me directly. We'll take over the search, but my boss doesn't want my people in contact with any of the locals." It made sense; our Pack and Alpha was in the middle of all the shit going on, but Oxbow Lake had kept a low profile.

"I understand, sir. I'm heading for my car now."

"Call me when you get to the emergency room."

"Yes, sir." He hung up, and I headed towards the young officer standing just the tape. "Sir?" He looked over at me. "That's my car, and I'm late for work. My boss is going to fire my ass if I don't show up."

"Sorry, I can't let anyone in," he said.

"Just move the tape over a few feet, and I'm out of here. It's not like I can tell my wife I got fired because I was buying a new rod and reel, AGAIN."

He took pity on me, looking around. "All right," he said. The police tape stretched between a light pole and a cart corral; the officer moved the tape from one end of the corral to the other, just enough to move it to the other side. I got into Mabel's piece of shit car and waved my thanks. I prayed to Luna it would start up, and smiled when it did. I pulled away, using Siri to ask for directions to the nearest Emergency Room. Both were in Duluth, with Saint Luke's being the most likely destination. I pulled out of the lot and headed east, needing to get ahead of the ambulance.

This car wasn't going to keep up.

I was on the outskirts of Duluth when the ambulance, escorted by State Patrol, blazed past me. I pulled out into traffic and continued to the hospital. I knew I guessed right when I saw three police cars parked out front. I found a spot I the lot and walked inside, taking a seat in the waiting room near the officers standing there.

"The EMT said he'd be fine, but that arm was all fucked up," one of them said. "He's going to be out of action for a while."

"This sucks. How does a canine officer get bit by a dog," the other asked.

"I hope Max pulls through. Mark would be crushed if his partner has to be put down," the third said.

"They took the dog to Miller Trunk Veterinary Clinic, I'll give them a call and check," the first guy said as he walked outside. A few minutes later, he came in smiling. "The vet tech said he'll be fine in a few weeks," he said.

More and more cops showed up over the next two hours. There was a cheer as the doors opened, and a nurse pushed Deputy Brighton out in a wheelchair. He accepted handshakes with his left hand, his right arm bandaged and in a splint. "Seventy-two stitches and a broken arm," he said.

"You're alive," his Chief said. "Come on; we need to take you back to the station to get your statement, then we'll drive you home." I waited until they were all gone, then walked out to my car and called Beta Peter again. I gave him the update I had.

"You may as well head home," he said when I finished. "We lost Jack's trail. I think he stole a car on the north side of town. Teri should already be there," he said.

"What about the officer? He'll have the fever by tomorrow."

"That's above my paygrade. Go talk to your boss about it."

I was starving, so I stopped at OMC Smokehouse and picked up a sandwich for the road, and takeout ribs for my mate and I for dinner.

I knew better than to eat there and not bring her some.

Spider Monkey's POV

Arrowhead Beta House

I shut down my computer and sat back, frustrated by the events of today. It was too late for me to fix it with a click of my mouse.

I got up and walked out of my basement computer room, taking the tunnels to the Pack House. I found Rori and Chase in their office. "Hey Spider Monkey," Rori said as she looked up. "What did you find?"

"It's a worst-case scenario for you guys," I said. "I hacked the backup server at Gander Corporate Headquarters. I found and downloaded a copy of the surveillance video, and then I copied another file over it. I did notice that someone else had accessed the server and downloaded the file before me." Her shoulders fell with this news. "I traced it to this guy, William Andrews. He goes by Billy. He works for Gander in their loss prevention department." I handed her the information I had on him; single, 24, lived with his Mom in Hermantown with the address listed. "The access came from his work account at the store."

Rori was quick to pick up what this meant. "The store gave the Feds the video they had stored locally, and he took a copy for himself off the backup server," she said.

"Exactly. The video is irrefutable; it shows the change on multiple cameras with time stamps. Colletta will keep the Feds in check, but this guy is a loose cannon. He saw a werewolf in real-time, and now he has a copy of the file."

She leaned back. "Billy has to get it out of the store first," she said. "I'll put Beta Peter on it. Maybe we can keep him quiet."

"He still saw everything that happened," I said.

"He can say he saw anything, but without the video, he's a whack job," she said. "And if he disappears, there's not even that."

partwolf
partwolf
2,307 Followers