Claiming Treasure Ch. 51-55

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was surprised he knew about it. "Poor leadership. They lost surprise, didn't have overwhelming numbers, and attacked over open ground against dug-in forces with elevated firing positions. Any sane commander would have recognized it was suicide. The ones that refused to go survived, the rest died before posing a real threat. This Pack lost some good men that day."

He nodded. "Donald was in the military, and I talked to four others who served. How many werewolves are in the service right now?"

"I don't know; the Council would have to gather the numbers. Three from this Pack are serving right now."

"Donald, how much more effective would you be in an all-werewolf unit instead of mixing with humans?"

He thought about it for a moment. "Shooting, maybe twenty-five percent. You can only shoot so fast, although our reflexes are faster. We're stronger, faster, and more experienced than anyone we meet. As a team, probably twice as effective as your best units right now."

"Damn."

"We are patriotic citizens, but we're not toys for the Chairman," I said. "I know he'll have a hard-on for us after reading this report, but we have our own families to protect. When this comes out, the crazies will be at our gates."

Demmer nodded. "It won't just be him, the CIA and Secret Service will want in on the action. The ability to move like dogs, fight like supermen, see in the dark, and scent your enemies?"

"You write the report the way you see it, Captain. The answers are well above your paygrade."

"No shit," he said with a laugh. "You have great food here, Alpha. What's on tap for this afternoon?"

"The other half of the women will be doing the same things as before, so I thought we'd demonstrate some scenarios for you. We're going to do a hostage rescue, a search and rescue operation, and an assault against a defended position."

"More paintballs?"

I shook my head. "We use the same MILES laser combat training gear the military does. You're welcome to observe or participate."

"I'll just watch." It was a hell of a day, and they excused themselves after dinner to write it up. I could imagine the report they'd give on their visit.

I was proven right in the morning. Two helicopters would be arriving before lunch, with top brass from the military and senior CIA and Secret Service officials. They wanted to see for themselves.

Ch. 54

Special Agent Lana Black's POV

Arrowhead Pack House Pool Area

I was running on caffeine as the night dragged on. Alpha Rori had warned us that Deputy Mark's fevers would get worse overnight and into the morning. We didn't want to miss anything, so Allison had me sleep until two, then I took over for her. It was now four-thirty in the morning, and I was typing my report out as I drank from a large coffee at one of the snack bar tables.

The party had moved on out of respect for the man fighting for his life, but the pool area was still full of people. As Doc Olson warned us the previous night, Mark's fever got worse and worse as the night progressed. When the pool was no longer keeping it down, they had a fiberglass tub brought in that they filled with cold water and ice. When I arrived back at the pool in the middle of the night, Mark was in and out of consciousness as the fevers would spike and recede. I felt horrible for him, but I could see they were doing all they could. "Is there anyone else coming who might be his mate," I asked as Rori sat with me to take a break.

"We have fourteen women arriving from Russia in an hour, and that will be all of them," she said. I could see how upset she was at his attack and her inability to save him. "If it isn't one of them, I hope he goes quickly."

"How bad does it get?"

"It would be a mercy to shoot him."

A few other women sat with us, all high-ranking members of other Packs. "Hello, I'm Luna Kathryn from the Denali Pack in Alaska," a beautiful woman said as she sat down on the other side of me. Like the others, she was nude, and by now, I barely noticed all the exposed flesh in the room. I hadn't joined in myself, but I did drop down to shorts and an FBI T-shirt, leaving my badge and gun in the bag I'd brought my laptop in. It was too warm and humid in here for slacks.

"That young girl, she was sniffing your clothes," I said as I recalled the name.

"She's going to be my daughter-in-law," Kathryn said with a big smile. "My son is seventeen, and the new Alpha of our Pack. Shelly picked up the scent of her mate on my clothing. I brought all the other males from my Pack to see her, and it's my boy."

"You don't look old enough to have a seventeen-year-old son," I said. She was beautiful, her body put supermodels to shame, and there was not an ounce of fat on her.

"That's nice of you to say. I'm eighty-seven."

My eyes bugged out. They'd told me how werewolves aged differently than humans, but I had more wrinkles on my face than she did. "Shelly is only fifteen? And she escaped a bad situation?"

"She is, and she did," Rori said. "There is a lot to deal with before those two get to mate. We need to emancipate her from her mother, help her adjust to life as a wolf, and get her through school. We don't allow matings before age eighteen."

"Is she going to Alaska?"

"Not right away," Kathryn said. "As a minor, we can't transport her across state lines without parental permission. Rori and I have a lot of things to work out, but it's all good. My son is a good young man, and she is a strong girl."

"Are you mated, Kathryn?"

I could see her pain flash on her face for a moment. "Widowed," she said. "Recently."

"I'm so sorry," she said.

"Don't be. My mate was abusive to his family and his Pack, and we are all better off without him."

I was confused; all the mated couples I had met here were deeply in love. Chase was so in love he made Hallmark movies look tame. He had arrived at the table, picking up Rori and holding her on his lap as he sat down. "If a mate is so important to your wolves, how can the relationship be abusive?"

"It's not common, but it can happen," Chase said. "You recall our talk about our dual nature? The human side is the same as yours, and it's strong enough to push back the wolf part that wants to protect its mate. If your human is an abusive ass, his behavior affects the bond. It's even worse for werewolves because no matter how bad he is, the wolf part of us still wants to be with him."

"I was a choice mate, forced on my husband for an alliance, and he never forgave me for what his father made him do," Kathryn said. "I tried to make the best of it, and our wolves were always great together. As the abuse continued, my wolf grew weaker and weaker. When the abuse moved to my son, she made one last stand before withdrawing completely. I haven't shifted in three years, and I don't hear from her anymore. I'm a werewolf in name only," she said as a tear ran down her face.

I leaned over and pulled her onto my shoulder, letting her cling to me as the repressed pain and hurt burst out. I let her go as the crying continued. As Kathryn stood, other women surrounded her. I saw the love and acceptance of the Pack that Rori had described as they hugged and comforted her.

"She will get better, those five are members of her Pack," Rori said as the group moved away from us.

Chase was smiling as he watched. "This was good for her, and I never knew until recently just how screwed up her Pack was. We aren't perfect, far from it. Our Packs were insular, with too much power in the hands of men who weren't worthy of it. We've had to deal with slavery, abuse, violence, and war in the past few years. Our Werewolf Council didn't just allow the abuse; they enabled and profited from it. We're reforming things now, but I've spent a long time counseling women in my Pack who have gone through far worse."

"I've talked to them, they all love it here," I said. "Even the visitors think your Pack is wonderful."

"We aren't like most Alphas," Rori said. "And we built this Pack from nothing after my parents and Pack got killed as they tried to get me." She told me the story of the previous Arrowhead Pack and her own life. I was shocked at what she had gone through as a teenager, and I had to keep reminding myself that she wasn't even twenty yet.

There was a commotion as a group of females arrived and walked over to the tub to see if he was their mate. Mark was unconscious as the Russian women scented him. My hopes crashed as they walked away. "That's it?"

Rori nodded, unable to speak. Doc Olson came over, grim-faced. "He's starting partial shifts, and fur is starting to grow. Mark only has a few hours left until his heart gives out. I'm sorry."

"Are you bringing his mother," I asked.

"We cannot. Mark will keep trying to shift, unable to make the transition until it finally kills him," Chase said. "We won't let him die alone," he said as he helped Rori stand.

"He will die as a member of our Pack," Rori agreed. The senior leaders visiting joined the many members of the Arrowhead Pack in a sad vigil, waiting for the inevitable.

And then there was a howl.

I looked over to where the noise came from, and my jaw dropped. A grey wolf ran from the group of Denali Pack members, heading right for us. The people surrounding the ice tub parted, letting the female wolf approach. She buried her head into Mark's neck, then opened her jaws and bit down. Mark woke and screamed as her teeth tore at the junction of his neck and shoulder.

"STOP HER," I said in horror, reaching for my gun.

"Kathryn," Rori said with a smile. "Her wolf came out and claimed him."

I calmed quickly as the others clapped and hugged, and the wolf released her bite and started licking at the bloody wound. "Wait, he's all right?"

"He will be, he's going to be a mated wolf. I can't believe it," Chase said before he kissed his mate.

"Everyone back," Doc Olson said. "Bring out the pad." Doc had Mark removed from the tub and laid on the foam mat by the pool. He organized for some of the Omegas to rotate out ice-water towels as Kathryn shifted and laid down with him.

The shift took another hour, and it looked and sounded painful. When it was over, a handsome all-black wolf lay panting on the mat next to his grey mate. "That's it," I asked when Chase sat down.

"He's one of us now," Chase said. "He needs to eat lots of raw meat and sleep for most of the day, and he'll shift back later. I'll meet you out front," he said.

"Why?"

"You need to talk to your supervisor, and I need to go get his mother." My eyes got wide. "She's his family, and I won't keep him from his family. Besides," he said with a grin, "She has a daughter-in-law now who is four-plus decades older than she is."

"I have to change first, and wake up Special Agent Cook so we can report to him together," I replied. "Thank you, Alphas. For everything."

Jack Coffey's POV

Near Ridgeview Country Club, Hermantown

I finished my breakfast: six eggs, a box of sausages, and toast. I left the plates at the table, as no one was going to do dishes anymore. Dressing in jeans and a flannel shirt I found in the closet, I tightened the leather belt around my narrow waist and grabbed the cash and car keys off the dresser.

I walked through the house, ignoring the bodies on the floor. The woman had foolishly opened her back door, and I'd ripped her throat out before she could say a word. Her husband died just as quickly as he walked into the kitchen yesterday morning. I'd spent the day watching the news, waiting for the video to cause a panic that would set the humans against the Arrowhead Pack.

And it still hadn't happened.

I opened the garage door and climbed into their Suburu, starting it up and backing out.

It was time to light the fire that would burn Rori and her friends to the ground.

Ch. 55

St. Louis County Sheriff Larry Clark's POV

County Office, Duluth

I was going over the paperwork for our 1033 application to the Department of Defense. We'd spotted a surplus Light Armored Vehicle that my SWAT guys thought would be a useful addition to our department, and I had the budget to repair it this year. We'd used the program many times in the past to get M-16's, inflatable boats, and other gear.

"Sheriff? Channel seven is calling us asking for comment on the hostage situation up at Arrowhead?"

"Arrowhead's out of our jurisdiction, Lynette. Tell them to contact the Lake County Sheriff's Office." My jurisdiction ended in between Duluth and Two Harbors, which was the county seat for Lake County along the North Shore. "Has Lake called us for help?"

"Not a word, sir," she said as she went back to her desk.

Something was going on. Arrowhead had been in the news quite a bit lately, and only a few of us knew what they were. The FBI had shared information after they met with Chase Nygaard's mother at the White House, and I'd seen Jack Coffey change into a wolf up in Hermantown. They'd asked me to keep quiet, and I was. Chase had personally talked to me about what was going on with Deputy Brighton last night and again this morning. I was relieved he had made it through what they called 'the change,' but I wasn't sure I liked having werewolves in my county.

A hostage situation was new. Picking up the phone, I called Sheriff John Carter to find out what was going on. I had the Lake County Sheriff's personal phone on my cell and used that. "Larry! What's up, buddy?" John and I had been friends for years, and our wives were besties.

"I was going to ask you, John," I said. "Television station is calling asking about a hostage situation up at Arrowhead."

"It's bullshit, I talked to my guys a few minutes ago," he said. "I've got one car there keeping tabs on the FBI guys. They said it's quiet."

I felt the phone vibrate, and I had an incoming Facetime call from my wife. "Thanks, John. Say hi to the wife, mine's calling me now."

I hung up the phone and answered the Facetime call. I almost dropped it when I saw her face, the blood draining from my face. "Nancy?"

Her face was bruised and bloodied, and she was crying, but that wasn't what hit me in the gut. Duct tape wrapped her neck, holding the muzzle of a sawed-off shotgun against it. The double-barreled firearm was off to the left side of her. She was in a car I didn't recognize. "I'm sorry, Larry, I shouldn't have answered the door," she said as she broke down.

"Easy, honey. Take a breath." I walked out of my office as she calmed herself, waving all Deputies in the room to me. "Are you all right?"

She nodded. "He... he said he'd kill me if I didn't cooperate. If YOU don't cooperate."

"Do what he says, honey. I love you, so you stay alive."

I saw the shotgun pull against her neck. "He wants to talk to you."

I was heading out the door as Nancy's cellphone turned to show him. It was Jack Coffey, driving in an older sedan. "Jack Coffey," I said.

"Yes. I'm sorry about the dramatics, but the media loves this shit," he said with a grin. "We're taking a little drive up to Arrowhead. It's just me and your lovely wife. It's your job to make sure no one pulls me over, tries to stop me, or interferes. Nancy, point the camera at my hand." She did; I could see him gripping the sawed-off stock, but that wasn't the problem. I could see string tied to his wrist, going up and looping around the dual triggers. "A crude but effective dead-man switch. If I let go, if someone shoots me, if I get startled and jerk my hand, your wife dies. Do you understand me, Sheriff?"

"I understand." I wanted to kill him slowly, but I understood. "Where are you?"

"Highway 61, passing Lester Park Golf Course. I'm driving a white Crown Victoria, license SNM469." One of my deputies passed the information along; he was already on the phone with Dispatch.

"I'll clear the path for you to Arrowhead."

"I'll see you there," he responded. "Say goodbye and hang up, Nancy."

The camera turned back to her. "I love you, Larry," she said.

"I love you too," I said, and then the call ended. "FUCK," I yelled as I broke into a run for my cruiser. "Jacobs, make sure they get an escort, and no one gets to close."

"On it, Sheriff."

"You three with me." We jumped into our cruisers and tore out of there, sirens blazing.

Special Agent Lana Black's POV

Arrowhead Pack House

"UP NOW, WE HAVE TO GO," Allison yelled as she banged on the door to my room.

"Coming." I sat up and grabbed my phone; it was just after eleven in the morning, and I'd only been sleeping for two hours. I had six text messages, two from my boss, both ordering me to get to the gate immediately and bring Chase and Rori with me.

I dressed and put my hair in a ponytail, sliding my gun and badge into my belt before pulling on my FBI windbreaker. Allison was standing outside the nursery, talking with Alpha Rori as she held her crying daughter. "He's on his way here now, and he's holding the Sheriff's wife hostage," Allison said.

"Why would Jack Coffey take her," Rori asked. "I don't even know her."

"Probably because cops will hesitate to shoot knowing who she's married to," Allison said. "Come on; our boss wants to talk. He's coming to the command post outside."

She handed the child to one of the nannies. "Contact security, inform them Coffey is coming to our gates with a hostage. Tell them to implement the security plan for high attack risk," Rori said.

"Do I want to know," I asked as we headed for the stairs.

"Pretty standard stuff. Those who can't fight hide, those who can get ready. You might want to warn your buddies out there that we're arming up for a fight." Chase joined us in the mudroom, and we all climbed into his Expedition and drove for the front gate.

"Who called the press?" I looked past them from the back seat; I could see two television stations setting up remotes across the road from the entrance.

"Who knows," Chase said. "I want to know what Coffey thinks he's going to do with a hostage."

I looked back at the Pack House; I spotted a dozen sniper positions there, and more in the homes we passed as we headed for the gate. "How many rifles can you bring to a fight?"

"Thirty, plus the reserve force and the border guards," Chase said. "With all the friends here, we've got a lot more than that today."

"Coffey won't step two feet onto our land," Rori said.

"You have to follow our lead on this," Allison said. "Kidnapping is an FBI matter. Interfere, and you'll get charged with obstruction."

"Take me to your leader," Rori said.

We parked inside the vehicle fence, and Chase and Rori, escorted by two big guards, followed us to the FBI Mobile Command Post. "About time you got here," Senior Agent-in-Charge Smallwood said as we walked in.

"What's going on, boss?"

"Coffey kidnapped the wife of the St. Louis County Sheriff, and he's heading here alone. They should arrive in ten minutes. He's got a double-barreled shotgun taped to her neck, and coming here isn't a coincidence."

Chase looked at Smallwood, then at his wife. "No."

"What," I said.

Rori answered for me. "Jack Coffey blames me for the loss of his family, his power, and his reputation. The only reason he'd be coming here with a hostage is to trade her for me."

Chase looked furious as he pulled Rori towards the door. "This isn't happening. Go back to the safe room before he gets here."

She pulled her arm loose. "I can't leave, Chase. What if he kills his hostage when I don't show?"

"I can't lose you, baby."

She molded herself to his body as he calmed. It took a while before he looked up. "What's the plan," Chase said.

"Our team is handling this, but I want you to wear a wire in case you get close to him," he said to Rori. "Coffey's got the hostage rigged with a deadman, so we can't shoot him. We need any tactical advantage we can get."