Claiming Treasure Ch. 55-60

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I signed off on that immunity because it was the right thing to do at the time," the Attorney General replied.

"And I've got people calling me up, wondering if their missing persons got buried on this land."

"We're getting distracted from what is important right now," the President said. "The media is making a circus out of this, and it will get out of hand quickly if we don't act. Mr. Smallwood, what is your recommendation?"

He hesitated for a moment. "Surround and isolate, for their good and ours," he said. "Take the time to properly investigate what these people have done, and go from there."

"Do the agents you have inside the Pack agree with that? I've read their reports," the FBI director asked.

"Anyone can put on a show. We're taking Colletta's word that Deputy Brighton was dying. It's easy to forget that one of their own bit him, and now he's like them!"

"He was dying, and your people watched it all," I said. "We've done everything in our power to limit the damage that madman caused. He tried to kill my daughter, and he did kill Rori's grandfather!"

Frank put his hand on my back to calm me down. "We've been cooperating with the FBI and Canadian authorities from the time we discovered Jack Coffey's involvement."

"And before last week, you people stole and murdered and waged wars without us knowing," Smallwood said.

"Enough," the President said. "Agent Smallwood, get back to work." His face disappeared from the screen. She looked to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. "General, you've got men at Monogahela. Are the werewolves a threat?"

"I think the only way they are a threat is if we go to war against them," he said. "My Special Forces men rave about their experience and training. The men and women we pulled from their units as a precaution have stellar records. They have been on our side, and I'd like to KEEP them there. Hell, I'd like to see what a unit made up solely of werewolves could do. All reports are the men in the military hold back so they don't raise suspicions."

"And if we determine they are a threat?"

He looked at me, then back at the President. "We've developed the contingencies you requested, and I don't like it. I asked my SEAL Commander to tell me how big a force would be required to take down Monongahela. He said five hundred men would do it IF they had armor and artillery support." He paused to let that sink in. "The Air Force is refusing to carry out the proposed bombings, as targeting civilian neighborhoods would be a war crime. You would have to declare war on the Werewolf Council, then declare all of the American packs to be unlawful combatants. That's what my legal advisors are telling me."

"Couldn't you use the National Guard and Air National Guard," the Homeland Security chief said.

"Not without violating the Posse Comitatus Act. Governors can deploy the Guard for law enforcement purposes in their states, but attacking remote settlements that pose no threat is not going to happen. Domestic law enforcement is not a DOD responsibility."

"We don't have controlling legal authority for wholesale roundups of populations," the Attorney General said. "We haven't operated like that in America since Roosevelt sent the Japanese into camps."

"Are the Packs a threat, Valerie? You have agents in one." The President looked over to Valerie Grunwald, the Secret Service Chief standing against the wall behind me.

"I agree with the Chairman; I'd much rather work with them than defend against them," she said. "Our office is not currently classifying any identified werewolf as a threat to you."

"The six agents around us and the backup team say otherwise," Frank teased with a grin.

"Given the reports from my people at Cascade, it's probably not enough to stop you if you had hostile intent."

President Kettering just nodded. "Is there anyone at the table who would support the issuance of an Executive Order declaring the American Werewolves a clear and present danger to our National Security?"

No one spoke up.

"I agree. Military options are off the table." I breathed a sigh of relief, my heart still pounding after listening to the options under consideration. "Homeland, FBI, and Justice, you are directed to perform investigations where you find probable cause a crime has been committed. You are NOT authorized to investigate anyone just because they have been identified as, or are associated with, a werewolf or a Pack. They are citizens and entitled to Constitutional protections. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Mrs. President," they all answered.

"We're going to have to make a statement," the Attorney General said. "We've got civilians shooting wolves and dogs, and it isn't far from there to shooting people."

"How does this play out politically," the President asked her Chief of Staff.

"It's delicate," he said. "Right now, people don't know enough to react with more than fear. Stoke fears, and you're overreacting and impulsive; ignore it, and people think you don't care about their safety and are out of touch. I'd suggest a middle ground."

"Such as," the President asked. He explained his recommendation for the next several minutes. Finally, the President looked around. "Ladies, Gentlemen, give Colletta and I the room," she said. Everyone stood up and grabbed their things. Valerie stayed behind with her agents, wondering what was going on. "You too, Valerie," she ordered.

"Madam President, my agents cannot..."

"Out, all of you."

Valerie hesitated, then waved the detail out of the room. "We'll be right outside."

When the door closed, it was just the two of us, plus I kept the link open to Frank. "Agreements need to happen quickly, and that's best done leader to leader. We need each other on this," Laura said as she sat down next to me. "I need more than your cooperation and openness."

"We have promised you both," I told my President.

"I need more if I'm to sell this as an alliance. The military wants you, all-werewolf units."

"We already have all-werewolf fighting units; they're called Packs. Generals aren't Alphas, and we aren't sending our people overseas to die at his bidding."

"I need something."

"Use what we discussed for me," Frank said.

"My mate is a retired DEA Director. Bring him back, maybe under Homeland, and create a unit for him to command. Let him meld the Pack and law enforcement training so he can hire part-time agents, or temporarily deputize volunteers to staff as required. He doesn't want a full-time gig, but he would be someone you can call on for major domestic cases. The public relations value of a werewolf team helping with search and rescue, kidnappings, and other high-visibility cases would be immense."

"I can support that for now. I want werewolves on my protection detail. Nothing says I trust you like putting my life in your hands," President Kettering added.

"I can ask for volunteers to undergo training. We've avoided that branch because of the background checks. Now I have some things I want." She raised an eyebrow. "Amnesty for any victimless crimes like money laundering and identity fraud, and any werewolf-on-werewolf crimes; we don't need Justice crawling up our ass for werewolf matters we handled ourselves."

"There will be missing-person investigations, kidnapping reports..."

I nodded. "If it involves humans, we will cooperate with the authorities."

"Done. Anything else?"

"Recognition as an indigenous population, with the right to self-government on our lands. Nothing you already aren't doing for native Americans, but no casinos and no claims on hunting or fishing outside our declared Pack-owned lands."

"I can do that, but I must have one more thing from you." She looked down at her hands. "I want to be a werewolf."

"What?" Did she have any idea what she was asking?

"I've read all the reports, including what you told Deputy Brighton would happen. I've seen your mate, too. He's stronger, looks younger, and will live for a century or more beyond a normal human lifetime. That's what I want. Make me one of you, and I'll put my political career on the line to save your people."

"It's not that easy," I said. "You're married."

"It's been over for years, but we keep up the public persona for political expediency. As soon as I win reelection, we'll get a quiet divorce and move on from each other." She looked into my eyes. "I know I'll need to find a werewolf mate to make the change, and I'm willing to do that. Promise me you'll change me, and we will leave this room as friends and allies."

"And if I don't?"

"Then I'll know I can't count on you fully and act accordingly. I need an answer, Madam Chairwoman."

She had me over a barrel, and she knew it. "The change requires a male werewolf to claim you as his mate, and for you to accept him AND the change. I will arrange a time when you can meet all eligible males, as we did with females for Deputy Brighton. IF Luna matches you with a wolf, you can make the change. If not, any attempt would kill you, slowly and painfully."

"You can order one to mate me. Alphas have power."

I shook my head. "Not when it comes to our wolves and matings, those are sacred bonds. No one can order a wolf to initiate a mating with another, and we do not allow forced claims."

"Then one will have to take one for the team. I will not be weak, and I will not die as my mother did. Swear to me, Colletta."

"A lot can happen in three years, Colletta. We need to be her allies," Frank said in my head.

I had no choice. "When you are ready, I will do everything in my power to find you a mate and gain a wolf," I said.

"Good enough. Let's go back upstairs. I'll give the Attorney General the highlights of our treaty agreement and have her draft it up. The last part is between us."

"Of course, Mrs. President." We stood, and I shook her hand before going to the Oval Office.

We weren't there long. "Follow my lead outside. We have a press conference in twenty minutes."

My mind was reeling as we made our way to the door leading to the Rose Garden. Rori's handling of the hostage situation and Deputy Brighton's bite would be the first thing most people knew about us. She had done everything she could, including risking her child's life, and I knew we had to play to that. My heart was breaking for her, and women would understand if we let them in. As soon as I turned my phone back on, I got Chase's text letting me know she was stable, but it would be a few days before they would know for sure if their child would survive. I told him to watch the news, and do what he could to bring the press in and move public opinion our way. We couldn't allow the crazies to dominate the discussion. "An interview with the two of you wouldn't be a bad thing," I sent.

Frank and I were waiting with the President for a joint news conference in the Rose Garden. I'd seen many a world leader on an official visit holding a press conference here, and now it was my turn. Frank held me to his side as I leaned into him. "Don't be nervous. Look at one person at a time and smile." He was far more used to these things than I was.

I was the Chair of the Werewolf Council. In a few minutes, I'd be the most visible werewolf in the world.

It would paint a huge target on my back.

I listened to the Press Secretary on the other side of the door. "The President and Chairwoman Grimes will make brief statements and then answer questions." Looking through the glass, I could see dozens of cameras and reporters waiting for us. "Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States."

Ch. 60

Colletta Grimes' POV
White House, Rose Garden

I followed right behind the President, standing to her left and a step behind as she reached the lectern. The press corps was out in force, and there must have been thirty cameras pointed at us. "Good afternoon, everyone." She waited a moment for the noise to die down. "Today, we all watched in shock and horror as a hostage situation narrowly avoided a tragic end in northern Minnesota. A man with a grudge took the wife of a Sheriff hostage and demanded a peaceful group of Americans show their secret to us all. The man was a werewolf, as were the fifty-some residents of Arrowhead Lake under the leadership of Alphas Rori King and Chase Nygaard. Chase's mother, Colletta Nygaard, is standing with me today, representing Werewolves across our country and the world."

Everyone was looking at me, and I nervously smiled and raised my hand in a wave.

"Werewolf Council Colletta Nygaard was here in Washington, conducting negotiations with my Administration for how to come out to us all without panic or violence. She and her people have cooperated in the investigation into Jack Coffey's criminal activities and provided invaluable assistance in our takedown of the violent Sons of Tezcatlipoca biker gang and their drug distribution operation. I am pleased to be here with Colletta as we usher in a new era of cooperation with her kind. Madam Chairwoman?"

I moved forward, embraced quickly by the President before I stood behind the lectern. "Ladies and gentlemen, fellow Americans, you have nothing to fear from our existence. Werewolves have always been part of this country; we have been your neighbors your entire lives as we kept our nature secret from you. We have worked with you, studied with you, played with you, protected you with our military service, and served in communities as first responders. We ARE like you; we are Americans. We want the same things you do; freedom, security, education, a safe place to raise our children. We want to find love, raise a family, and watch our grandchildren play around us. The only difference between today and yesterday is that you've seen what we can become."

I paused and looked out at the audience, wondering what they were thinking. "If you look at me, I'm just like you. My DNA is indistinguishable from any other human. You cannot look at someone and think 'that is a werewolf' or 'that one is human' because there is no difference to find. We can shift into a wolf, something that happens first in our late teens. When we change into our wolf, it is under conscious control, and our minds are no different than before. We run, we love, we hunt, we play on four legs instead of two. When we want to, we change back. It doesn't matter what time it is, or what phase the moon is in."

"MAKE ME A WEREWOLF," a man in back yelled.

"Make you a werewolf. It's not that simple," I said. "There is one way that we are dangerous. If a human is bitten by one of us in our wolf form, the bite is fatal. Recently we have found a way around that, but ONLY if we find a werewolf mate for the person and have the right medical care. Deputy Mark Brighton, and his K-9 Max, were bitten by Jack Coffey during his escape from the store. The bite wouldn't affect the dog; he's recovering from his injuries. We knew Deputy Brighton was going to die unless we intervened." I had to say this right; a wolf would have killed him, but wolves saved him. "We gathered every single female werewolf from around the world, hoping that he would find the ONE person destined to be with him forever. We got lucky; she saved his life, and he is now one of us." There was some clapping in the crowd. "That doesn't mean it will happen again. For centuries we have lived among humans, and the penalty for biting a human has been summary execution. We have not, nor will we ever tolerate a werewolf intentionally harming a human."

"Has it happened before," one of the reporters asked.

"It's rare and is quickly handled. We kept our secret as fear can cause both of our people great harm. We have lived in peace, and we want to keep living in peace. As we speak, there are people in the woods with rifles, thinking they do God's work by shooting wolves. Let me speak plainly- if you see a wolf, it's a real wolf, not one of us. No werewolf in the world would risk being out in his wolf form in the climate of fear and panic that is spreading right now. Those hunters are killing protected species or someone's pet. You're not helping anyone."

The President moved towards the microphone, and I moved back. "The Attorney General and I wish to make a few things perfectly clear. Werewolves are humans under the law. They are Americans, with the same Constitutional rights that you have, and the same protections as anyone else. We will not tolerate violence or discrimination against them. I would not be standing here next to the highest-ranking Werewolf in the world if I thought she wasn't representing our values."

She moved back, and I thanked her before continuing. "I'm sure you have questions, so I will give you a few basic facts about us. We believe our wolves have been given to us by our Goddess, and that gift passes down in a family line. We live a long time; one of my colleagues on the Werewolf Council was a Doctor in George Washington's army, and I remember reading the newspaper articles about the Civil War when I was in school." There were gasps at this. "We live a long time, but we have a difficult time conceiving. We are lucky to have one pregnancy every fifty years or so. As a result, our numbers are stable but small. There are fewer than ten thousand of us among you."

"I don't think that number reassured many of them," Frank sent.

"Family is the center of our life, and the Pack is the social and legal construct for that. Packs are headed by an Alpha pair, with Betas to supervise, and normal Pack members. The close social interactions form strong bonds. You saw one such Pack, Arrowhead, on the news. The entire Pack risked their lives by going out to see that madman, not knowing what he would do. Alpha Rori shifted for him, knowing that she might lose her baby, but she couldn't watch a hostage die if she refused. For werewolves who are pregnant like I am, shifting is too risky to consider. I can't imagine what my son's mate is going through right now."

"How is Rori," a woman in front asked.

"Stable, and we're praying for her to heal and keep her child."

"You can shift into wolves that can kill us with a single bite, and we don't know who you are," a man asked. "Why shouldn't we fear you?"

"You kill what you fear and don't understand what you are doing," I said. "Why shouldn't we fear you? Jack Coffey hated my daughter-in-law and her family. He fled from our justice and left his money in his car, so all he had left was fear. He thought that by making the Arrowhead Pack shift into their wolves, that human mobs would move to destroy them. I am happy to see that has not happened. The people who know Rori and her Pack count them as friends." I wiped a tear away. "My entire life, the big rule was not to do ANYTHING that would risk humans finding out about us, because the legends of monsters would spur you to destroy us. We have no desire but to live in peace with you as neighbors, customers, citizens, and friends. The more you learn about us, the less room fear and hatred will have to operate."

"WHERE ARE THE VAMPIRES," a man on the right yelled.

I laughed. "I'm not aware of any outside Hollywood," I said.

"What now," a reporter in front asked.

"I'll take that," President Kettering said. "Now, we all take a deep breath and relax. There is no danger, no crisis, only an opportunity to work together and build a brighter future together."

"I look forward to a new era of cooperation between our peoples," I said.

"That is all. Thank you for coming," President Kettering said. She put her arm around me, and we raised our hands, waving to the crowd, then walked off to the Oval Office together.

Carson Nygaard's POV
Cascade Pack Entrance

I was hoping for low-key, but we rolled up to the main road to find three Sheriff's Department vehicles blocking the road with their lights on. "Overkill," Agent Melissa Deharty said as we pulled to a stop.