Cobbler

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you ma'am." I smiled. "Good night."

Ma-Ri walked me out. "Good night Artie."

"Walk you to school tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yes...boyfriend." She giggled, then turned and dashed inside.

Sleep that night was fitful at best.

I met Ma-Ri outside her house the next morning for the walk to school. It was a rather damp and dismal morning, trying to rain and not succeeding very well. As we walked, she slipped her dainty little hand into mine and I swear I wouldn't have noticed a hurricane, the smile she gave me just about burst my heart.

School went by in a haze, I just couldn't concentrate. Even one of the teachers noticed and nearly had to chuck an eraser at me to get my attention.

"Are you with us Arthur? Ahem, Mr. Thompson."

"Sorry Mr. Vorhees, guess I was daydreaming." I shrugged.

"Save it for later." He chided.

"Yes sir." I answered, returning to the lesson.

We held hands on the trip home as well. She would occasionally glance at me and smile, sometimes blushing, then squeeze my hand.

"What?" I asked.

"I never thought I would have boyfriend in America." She confessed.

"Why?" I inquired.

"I am not pretty like American women. I am too small." She lamented.

"There's nothing wrong with being short." I said. "And I think you are very pretty."

She shook her head. "I mean...uh...small here." She held her hands in front of her chest. "And here." Grabbing her backside. "American women are so much bigger."

"Oh." I went beet red. "Sorry, I didn't understand, but I still think you are pretty."

"Really?" She beamed.

I nodded.

That got me another kiss on the cheek and the grin on her face never left for the remainder of out walk home.

I walked over and got her, walking her back to our house for dinner later that evening. Dad was, of course, buried in the newspaper when we walked in. He folded it, somewhat neatly and stood as I introduced him to Ma-Ri.

"Dad, this is Ma-Ri." I said.

"Pleased to meet you young lady." He smiled.

Ma-Ri bowed slightly. "Thank you Mr. Thompson."

Not long after, Clara and Kate came in, anxious to see the first girl I'd ever brought home.

"Ma-Ri, these are my sisters, Clara on the left and Kate." I said.

Again Ma-Ri bowed slightly.

"Are you sure you want to be seen in public with him?" Kate teased.

Ma-Ri looked horrified until Kate laughed, then she realized Kate was just making a joke.

"I'm sorry Ma-Ri." Kate apologized. "I should have known better."

"It is OK." Ma-Ri smiled. "In Korea, no sister would dare dishonor her brother like that, even as a joke, but I am not in Korea anymore. I need to learn American ways. It is difficult sometimes, but I will keep trying."

Kate hugged Ma-Ri. "It must be hard for you. I'll try not to make it harder."

"You are very kind." Ma-Ri responded.

"I'm not, but I will try." My sister admitted.

"Is...OH!" Mom muttered, walking in from the kitchen. "I was going to ask if Artie and Ma-Ri were here yet, but I guess I answered my own question. Hello, I'm Artie's mother, Marge."

"Hello Mrs. Thompson." Ma-Ri bowed again. "Thank you for inviting me into your home."

Mom was a bit flustered at the formality Ma-Ri showed, but soon shook it off. "Dinner is almost ready. Girls, set the table."

"OK Mom." They answered in unison.

"May I help?" Ma-Ri asked timidly.

"This way." Clara pointed and Ma-Ri followed.

I sat on the couch and dad returned to his chair. "Tiny little thing isn't she?" He observed.

My sisters had a good 6 inches on her, I was 5'11", dad an even 6 feet.

"I guess, never really thought about it too much." I shrugged. "She's just..."

"Calm down Artie." Dad chuckled. "Just an observation."

"She's a little self conscious about it." I explained. "She sees all these American girls, tall and..." I made the same gesture she made about her chest. "She thinks she's ugly in comparison. I don't understand it, but it upsets her."

Dad smiled. "I'm very proud of you for seeing that. I'm even more proud that you see her and not... " He made the same gesture I did.

I blushed furiously. "Dad!!"

"Hear me out son." He chided. "Too many people, men and women, are too caught up in how someone looks. The outside doesn't matter. What's on the inside is what is important. Good looks are nice, but they don't last. Inner beauty never fades. Remember that and you will never be unhappy."

Dad and I had a few of these conversations over the years. Most of them recently as I got older and adulthood was approaching, but this was the first time he'd really made me think. Usually I would just be embarrassed and try to make the best of it, especially when we had the 'talk'. Today, I felt he passed on his greatest advice ever. I listened.

"OK boys." Mom called from the kitchen. "Dinner's ready."

We took our places around the table, Ma-Ri seated next to me, of course, with Kate on her other side. As we ate, the subject of the dance came up.

"I finally told Tommy I'd go with him." Kate sighed. "I was hoping Leonard would ask me, oh well. What are you going to wear Ma-Ri?"

"I do not understand." Ma-Ri said.

"You need a fancy dress, it's a formal dance. Didn't genius here tell you?" She answered.

I would have banged my head on the table, but my plate was in the way. "Nope, stupid me, didn't even think about it."

"That's my baby brother." Kate giggled. "Clueless as always. We need to go shopping."

Ma-Ri looked sad, suddenly going quiet.

I reached over and took her hand. "What?"

"Eomma... we have little money." She admitted. "I cannot."

"Tell you what." Clara piped in. "Between Kate and I, I'm sure we have something you could wear."

"But you are so... I am so small." She struggled for words. "How...?"

"Don't worry your pretty little head." Mom chirped. "I'm a whizz with a sewing machine, if the girls have something you like, I'll make it fit."

"You all are so kind." Ma-Ri beamed. "Gamsahamnida...thank you."

"You're welcome sweetheart." Mom smiled.

After dinner, and of course cobbler, blackberry this time, the girls adjourned to Kate's room to look through her closet. Clara rummaged through hers as well. From the giggles and laughter I heard, things seemed to be going well.

"Best stay clear of that." Dad chuckled. "Dangerous waters, trust me."

After an hour or so, I heard Kate squeal. "It's perfect." She came out and got mom and they returned to her room.

Not long after, mom, Ma-Ri and my sisters came out.

"You'll have to drop by a couple days after school and I'll modify that dress." Mom instructed. "By the time I'm done, you'll look like a real princess."

Ma-Ri was grinning so hard it probably hurt. "Thank you Mrs. Thompson and Kate and Clara also. I am grateful."

The girls night ended in a group hug.

Walking Ma-Ri home, she was nearly floating. "Happy?" I asked.

She nodded. "They are so nice to me."

I had to admit, my family was pretty great. We may bicker and squabble sometimes, but when it really mattered, we were there for each other.

Mom had arranged for Ma-Ri to come over for the first fitting on Tuesday of the week of the dance. The second, and hopefully final fitting would be Thursday, leaving Friday if things went awry. I was informed I was to make myself scarce. I would not see the dress until Saturday night when I picked her up. Mom's rules.

As it is written, so shall it be done!

Both days, I walked Ma-Ri over then spent the evening in the garage with my dad puttering around with a couple projects he was working on. As long as I stayed out of the house, I would live.

Saturday finally arrived and I dressed for the dance. I had gotten a corsage for Ma-Ri (at my father's insistence). I actually took Kate with me, since they wouldn't even tell me what color her dress was. She picked out the flower and I paid for it.

"Try not to impale her when you pin it on." Kate teased.

I walked slowly over to Ma-Ri's house being careful not to drop the corsage or scuff my shoes. I wanted to look nice. I walked up the steps and before I could knock, Mrs. Jeong opened the door and motioned me inside. She had me turn my back to the room and I heard some rustling of fabric and quiet voices speaking Korean.

"Artie." Ma-Ri said. "You may turn around."

I turned and...HOLY CRAP!! Ma-Ri was dressed in a sapphire blue dress with a lace overlay over what I would eventually learn was the bodice. I was 16 at the time and not very adept at describing women's clothing, but she was stunning. The dress fit like a glove and really made what curves she had stand out. Mom did a fantastic job. She was, without a doubt, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I was speechless.

"Artie?" Ma-Ri smiled. "Am I...?"

"You are." I nodded. "Beautiful."

She smiled, eyes shining, her mother behind her nearly bursting with pride. Taking a single red carnation from a vase on the table, Ma-Ri pinned it to my lapel. I wouldn't understand the meaning of that gesture for several years.

As we neared the school, other couples appeared. The dance was a very popular one. The prom was only for seniors, so this was all we, the underclasses, got, even though more than a few seniors would be here too. I spotted George and Alice just ahead and called out for them.

"Hey Artie." Alice tittered. She'd never seen me, or George for that matter, dressed up and was having a ball teasing us. She hadn't seen Ma-Ri initially, small as she was, my bulk hid her to some extent, but when she got a good look at her, she nearly fainted.

"Oh my." She gasped. "Artie, she's just..."

"I know, right." I grinned.

"Damn Artie." George exclaimed, getting him an elbow in the ribs from Alice.

"Language George." She hissed. "There are ladies present. Put your eyes back in your head and let's go."

We four sat together that night and while I don't remember alot of the conversation, I do remember how wonderful it felt dancing with Ma-Ri. Mom had given me a few pointers and even a lesson or two, so I didn't make a complete fool of myself. Ma-Ri smiled the entire evening and more than a few of our classmates noticed just how pretty she was. With her in my arms, I felt like the king of the world.

All too soon, it was over and after saying our goodbyes, Ma-Ri and I left. Pausing at her door, she hugged me and looked up into my eyes.

"This was very nice." She smiled.

"It was." I agreed.

"I should go now." She sighed. "Good night Artie."

"Good night Ma-Ri." I answered.

She started to go, then suddenly turned back and pulled me down and kissed me on the lips. Nothing lewd or tawdry, just a brief, sweet and dare I say, loving kiss. Before I could recover, she was gone, closing the door behind her. I stood, stunned, for a moment or two before I wandered home, a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Mom and dad were still up when I got home. Seeing the grin plastered on my face, they looked at each other and smiled.

"Have a good time?" Dad asked.

"Yeah." I answered. "Mom, Ma-Ri's dress was amazing, thank you." I hugged her.

"Happy to help." Mom said. "She's a special girl, she deserved it."

"She is." I agreed.

I'm not sure my feet were touching the floor as I made my way to my room, and when I woke in the morning, all I could think about was Ma-Ri and how she looked last night.

Monday morning was windy and rather cold as Wisconsin is known to be in late October, so we were bundled up pretty good for our walk to school. Even through our gloves, I could feel her warmth as we held hands as we walked.

"Artie?" She said, trying to be heard over the wind.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

"It was wrong of me to kiss you." She frowned. "I am sorry."

"Wait." I stopped. "I don't understand. Did I do something wrong?"

"Oh...no." She sputtered. "It was very nice." She blushed and averted her eyes. "It just is not...uh, proper, yes, that is it, proper. I do not want you to think badly of me."

"Ma-Ri." I said, turning and facing her, taking her hands in mine. "You did nothing wrong. I thought it was wonderful. I've never felt like I did after we kissed. It was my very first from a girl and it was..." I couldn't find the words, but I hoped the look in my eyes would tell her what my stupid brain couldn't.

"In Korea it is improper for a woman to do what I did." She explained. "She would be called many bad names and shunned."

"You are not in Korea anymore." I reminded her. "Never be afraid to tell me how you feel. Even if others may not approve, nothing you could ever do will disappoint me. Just be you."

She smiled and hugged me. "Thank you Artie. I was afraid you would not want to be my boyfriend anymore."

I leaned down and kissed her, just as softly and tenderly as she had done to me the other evening. "It made me want to be your boyfriend even more."

I don't think a jackhammer would have been able to knock the smile off her face, or mine for that matter.

Over the ensuing two years, our relationship and our feelings for one another continued to blossom. Ma-Ri was spending a good deal of time at my house and I was frequently at hers. She and Kate had become fast friends and spent many hours in Kate's room discussing only God knows what. We attended the Cotillion the next year, with George and Alice, of course. Ma-Ri was again resplendent in another of my mother's creations.

As our senior year was coming to a close, we were planning for the last hurrah before graduation, the senior prom. Mom and Ma-Ri were battle planning behind closed doors for most of the month before, and as usual, I was not allowed to see any of the goings on. Dad just shrugged. "Women." He grinned. "What are you gonna do?"

Things were looking up for me. Dad worked at the Kenosha Rambler assembly plant. He was a shift foreman, and managed to get me on there. I would start a little over two weeks after graduation. It was a good job with great pay and benefits. I was looking forward to starting.

A little over a week before the prom, everything unraveled. I was sitting in the living room watching something, I don't remember what, on TV when someone knocked on our door. Puzzled I answered it and found Ma-Ri. She looked up at me, terrified, then collapsed. I managed to catch her and carried her into the house. By now, dad was up and at our sides.

"Is she OK?" He asked.

"I don't know." I answered. "She didn't say anything, just fainted. She looked upset."

"Take her into Clara's room, I'll fetch your mother." Dad commanded.

I had barely laid her down when Mom appeared.

Sitting on the bed next to Ma-Ri, she looked up at me. "What happened?"

"I don't know." I said. "She knocked on the door, then passed out when I opened it."

Ma-Ri stirred, then sat up in the bed and screamed. "Eomma...NO!!!"

Mom hugged her, trying to comfort her as she broke down in tears, sobbing hysterically. It took the best part of an hour to calm her enough to get the story.

Her mother worked in the laundry at the hospital and while preparing to bleach a load of bed linens, a mislabeled bottle of ammonia was added as well. The release of poisonous chlorine gas had overcome her mother and she died before she could be rescued. Ma-Ri was devastated. With her mother gone, she had no one. She was completely alone in a country she was still trying to fit into.

Dad motioned me out, so we left Ma-Ri to my mother's tender care.

"What are we going to do Dad?" I asked. "We can't just leave her on her own, how will she survive?"

"Let me ask you something, Artie." Dad pondered. "What were your plans with her in the future?"

I thought about it for a minute. "Once we graduated and I had a job and saved a little money, I guess I was going to ask her to marry me. I love her dad, even if I haven't told her yet."

"She knows son, trust me." Dad said. "I see how she looks at you. Just like your mother looks at me. She loves you too."

"You really think so?" I asked.

Dad nodded. "Now, this happens and she needs you, more than she ever has. What are you going to do?"

"What can I do?" I sighed. "I don't have much money and my job won't start for over a month."

"She can stay here for now." Dad stated. "Clara's room has been empty since she moved out. Let's let thing calm down a bit, then we can see where this might go, sound good?"

"Yeah." I answered. "I don't want her to be alone."

Later, mom came out. "She's sleeping, for now. She's a wreck, but I would expect that under the circumstances."

Dad and I filled her in on our talk, leaving out the getting married part, for now, and she agreed wholeheartedly.

Amazingly, Ma-Ri slept through the night. My room is directly across from Clara's so I heard her open her door early the next morning.

As I stepped into the hallway, she saw me and crashed into my arms, sobbing. I picked her up and carried her into the living room and sat on the couch and let her cry herself out. Eventually, she stopped and looked up at me with those pleading deep brown eyes. I kissed her softly and hugged her.

"Everything will be OK." I whispered in her ear. "You can stay here as long as you need to. Mom and Dad want to help. I do too. I love you Ma-Ri and I want to take care of you. I don't exactly know how that is going to work, yet, but all of us are working on figuring it out."

She was still looking into my eyes and a slight smile was trying to shine through. She hugged me tightly, still sniffling. "I love you too Artie. Eomma said you were a good man. She would be happy for me." She started crying again. "I do not know what I am going to do without her."

"You are strong, just like her." I said. "She probably felt the same way when your father died. She found a way, you will too."

"Yes." Ma-Ri straightened a bit. "She said it would dishonor father's memory. I will honor them both, I will find a way."

"We will find a way." I smiled. "Together."

She looked puzzled, then it slowly dawned on her. "Do you mean...?"

"Yes." I nodded. "Marry me, be my wife. I don't want you to do this alone."

Ma-Ri smiled and those dark, nearly black eyes shone like beacons. She nodded, almost imperceptibly at first, then with more force. "Yes." She beamed. "Yes I will be your wife. I have wanted nothing more since that first day when you protected me. You were so brave and strong to face so many, for me. I am honored you love me and I will honor that love always."

I heard a sniffle over my shoulder and turned. Standing behind us were my parents. I don't know when they showed up, but it was pretty clear they heard everything.

Ma-Ri jumped out of my lap and started to apologize.

"Oh, honey." My mother cooed. "We couldn't be happier. Now you just sit back down there and enjoy hugging that boy of ours. He needs it just as much as you do."

Mom had Clara come over for dinner that evening (Kate was still living at home) they both already knew of Ma-Ri's loss, and weren't surprised when mom sat a cobbler on the table after we'd finished.

"While this is a solemn occasion." She started. "We are also here to celebrate a happy event as well."

My sisters looked puzzled.

"Ma-Ri and I made the cobbler." She admitted. "To honor Ma-Ri's mother and also to celebrate her addition to our family. Artie has asked Ma-Ri to marry him."

After the initial shock, Clara and Kate jumped up and hugged Ma-Ri welcoming her as their new sister.

We had a joyous celebration that evening, tempered somewhat by the loss of Ma-Ri's mother. A rather odd combination to be sure, but life is seldom anything but odd.

The funeral for Mrs. Jeong was a somber affair and afterwards, her remains were cremated per her request. Ma-Ri received the urn several days later from the mortician and vowed to someday return to Korea and spread her ashes where they had spread her father's. She wanted them reunited for all time.