Come Alive Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Maybe because you're too fucking old, you asshole?' he said, grinning.

"What are you smelling about?" she asked.

"I can't wait to taste my masala. I bet it's going to burn my lips off."

Rolf laughed, she smiled...a little, too.

Then their plates came.

"You know," he said, looking directly at Britt, "over in the States when we order like this, we share. We each take a little bit from each dish, so that way we get to sample them all."

And she looked right back at him: "No way. I am not so stupid."

"Rolf? You think you're up to the challenge?"

"What did you say? Bring it on, Baby?"

"That's my man. Pass me your plate!"

He split his serving into two portions and put half on Rolf's plate, then he did the same with Rolf's vindaloo. Staring at this culinary armageddon, he ripped off a piece of naan and pushed some vindaloo onto his fork and ate it.

The heat built slowly, and it was noticeably warm but not overwhelmingly hot, so he took a deep breath and loaded his fork with his weapons-grade masala. One look at the fumes rising from his fork should have been ample warning, but he sighed then put the fork in his mouth.

He chewed twice and swallowed, then downed a glass of water - which only made it worse.

"Mother of God..." he whispered, "this shit is hot." He saw his waiter talking to one of the cooks, both were laughing and high-fiving...which, under the circumstances, was not a particularly good sign.

"My turn," Rolf said, scooping up a mega-forkful of the masala and stuffing it unceremoniously into his mouth. His eyes popped wide open, he began sweating, then he swallowed and reached for his water.

"Hey, Buddy, it don't help..."

The kid let loose a string of Norse profanity which, of course, prompted a blistering counterattack by his mother. And while she was so engaged, Henry took a prodigious scoop of his masala and placed it on her fork.

Rolf saw the move and apologized to his mother, who then sat back and picked up her fork. Seconds later the deed was done.

She brought her napkin to her mouth and he heard her mutter something that sounded suspiciously like a Viking war-cry, a new version of "Die, Motherfuckers!" - then she too picked up her glass of water and downed it in one gulp.

All three were now beet red and sweating like hogs, the cooks and waiters were laughing so hard that one had fallen on the floor, but still the other patrons had no idea what was going on...until Henry stood up and announced to one and all that - "Goddamn! My asshole is on fire! Somebody! Quick, give me some ice!"

A waiter brought a scoop full of the stuff, and Taggart took the ice and shoved it down the back of his pants as he hopped towards the bathroom.

Now everyone in the restaurant was howling; Rolf's crimson face was tear-streaked and Britt was laughing so hard she felt light-headed...

Henry Taggart calmed down as soon as he made it to the restroom, then he washed his hands and wiped his face with a paper towel. "You still got it, Champ." With the ice thoroughly broken now, he thought it was time to get to the bottom of this little Britt-Rolf war-thing, and figure out a way to put an end to it...

+++++

They made it back to the Bandit way past Rolf's bedtime, so Britt decided to tuck him in up in the foreword berth, then she rejoined Henry up in the cockpit.

"I don't know how you get used to it?"

"What?" she asked.

"It's a quarter past ten and it looks like three in the afternoon..."

She smiled. "Thank you for the sweaters. That was very sweet."

"I saw the look in his eyes after he put it on. That was worth a million bucks."

"Why didn't you get married? You seem like you'd make a good father."

"Looks can be deceiving."

"Yes, but what I saw tonight wasn't deception."

He leaned back, crossed his arms. "What about you? Divorced? From what I can see, a man would have to be crazy to divorce you."

She seemed to hesitate, thinking about how to say what she needed to say. "Rolf's father was in the air force. He died in a training accident."

"I'm sorry. You said...were you, uh, not married?"

"That's right. Everything happened a few months before we were supposed to get married."

"So, you've raised him on your own?"

"Yes."

"Had you finished medical school?"

"I was an intern when he died, yes."

"Sounds like a difficult time."

"You know, I look back on it now and it was the best time of my life. I loved every minute of his childhood."

"You're a good mom."

"You think so?"

"Seems like you care enough for two mothers, so yes, I think so."

"My mother helped."

"Oh? What is she like?"

"You know her. Haven't you made an opinion yet?"

"Excuse me? I know your mother?"

"Yes, she's your Oncologist."

His eyes opened a bit more on hearing that. "Really? I had no idea."

"Yes, I called her as soon as I suspected something. She got you right in."

"She did seem to take a personal interest."

"Yes, because I had taken a personal interest. She still looks after me, you see."

"I think I understand. Has she made your life difficult?"

Britt shook her head. "No, not really. She has controlled my life, but she..."

"I guess some parents do that. Maybe out of instinct, or perhaps because that's the way they were raised."

She shrugged. "Maybe."

"So, about Rolf. Does he have any experience sailing?"

"A little."

"Enough?"

"I don't think so. Conditions off this coast can turn very harsh in a matter of minutes."

"You'd rather he didn't go?"

"I'm not sure, Henry. It could be a marvelous experience for him, and I say that because I think you might be a very good teacher. He is also at an age where he will remember something like this, and for the rest of his life. It could be a very good thing."

"So, maybe a good thing? What are the negatives you see?"

"That you have Parkinson's, and a very serious cancer."

"Oh. That."

"If something happened to you, would he know what to do? Could he take care of the ship and you? And if the weather turned violent, then what?"

"Sounds we need another adult to come."

"I know nothing about sailing, and anyway, I could not take so much time off. This is the clinic's busiest time of the year, and we are state supported so very rigidly controlled."

"Oh well, something else to think about."

"Unfortunately, I know someone perfect. A physician and a more than competent sailor."

"And?"

"My mother."

"I see."

"No, Henry. I don't think you do. But I can promise you one thing. She sees. She sees everything before it happens. She knows everything...before it happens."

"Speaking sarcastically, of course."

"Oh no, not in the least. Those who believe in mysticism, such people call it clairvoyance, others who know her well dismiss her ability as the expression of a profound empathy. But whatever it might be, when you've spent enough time around her, as I have, like Rolf has, you understand that one thing is true. You disregard her at your peril. You listen to her and, well Henry, you learn to have an open mind."

"Empathy. Yes, I saw something like that in her eyes."

"Yes, but it is much more than that. Still, I can tell you little else."

"Should I ask her if she has any interest in coming?"

"You could ask, yes. But she already knows. And she has already made her mind up."

"You're serious, aren't you?"

"She is a force of nature, Mr. Taggart. Please try to understand that much before you dismiss her out of hand."

"She is my oncologist. Believe me, I take what she has to say most seriously."

"Your hands are shaking, Henry. Is it time for your medication?"

He looked at his watch. "Damn. Fifteen minutes late."

"You need a better system. Perhaps an alarm clock?"

He reached inside a pocket and pulled out a bottle, then slipped a pill under his tongue. "You know, it's amazing how pleasant it is, even in the middle of the night."

"It's the Gulf Stream. Even this far north it moderates the climate, and in winter most of the coast remains ice free." She yawned, and her eyes watered a little in the breeze.

"Ready for bed? There's room up forward, with Rolf, and there's a tiny stateroom just across from the Galley if you'd prefer."

"Would you make love to me?"

He blinked several times in rapid succession, shook his head a couple of times. "You know, I didn't see that coming."

"A few hours ago, neither did I. Would you?"

"You know, Britt, I think the operant question right now is can I? The thing is, I can't remember the last time..."

"Maybe we should go find out," she said, holding out her hand.

And he took it, led her to his cabin under the aft deck.

It took a few minutes to coax 'things' back to life, but in the end 'things' worked just fine after all.

+++++

There was work to do, of course. Any trans-oceanic crossing exacts a heavy toll on almost every system on a sailing vessel, no matter the size. Rigging had to be inspected, the sails re-installed on their furlers, too. Engine oil had to be drawn and analyzed, the shaft stuffing box repacked. The water-makers membranes had to be flushed, the propane lines checked, and the propane tanks refilled. The main water tanks had to be emptied, flushed, emptied and refreshed until the lines ran clear. Diesel tanks emptied, the contents spun through a series of filters to removed any algae, then the tanks polished and refilled. All thru-hull fittings checked and rechecked...the list was almost endless and, even with professional help, took Taggart ten days to complete. Rolf was still in school, but the boy came down every afternoon and helped out for several hours, retiring to the saloon table down below to finish his homework and study for final exams. After a few days of this, his mother agreed to let him sleep on board; a few days later she started sleeping over, enjoying Henry's company more and more.

On his first Saturday morning onboard, Henry sent the boy up the mast in a bosun's chair; his mission - un-do all electronic fittings and spray with Boe-Shield, let dry and re-attach. Then spray all shrouds and stays with WD-40, then more Boe-Shield. He donned a wetsuit and grabbed a tank out of his locker, then slipped under the water and replaced all the anodes, finishing off the underwater work with a light scrub-down of the anti-fouling paint, clearing the ship's bottom of speed-robbing plant-life.

All of it was a new routine, completely different than the time he'd spent with Time Bandit before he started the crossing. After taking delivery in Connecticut, he taken her up through the Cape Cod Canal to Boston, then up to Northeast Harbor, in Acadia National Park. He spent a few days anchored out in Somes Sound, then refueled before setting out for Norfolk, Virginia. He transited the Great Dismal Swamp Canal, first laid out by George Washington, then worked his way down to Charleston using the Intra-Coastal Waterway. As winter was settling-in up north, he had continued south to Key West, stopping in Miami for meds and a check-up.

It was true, he discovered. The sun was a restorative. He soaked it up for hours on end, and he was amazed at how good it felt after two months on the water. Even more amazing was Key West, and how he fell into the whole Conch-Republic vibe. He rediscovered drinking, then found that his medications and alcohol didn't mix well. He ate foods he'd never tried before, weird stuff like deep-fried alligator tail and chicken wings so hot he cried, and in a way, he felt like he was beginning to shed old layers of skin, ridding himself of old, comfortable ways of being, in the process becoming something new and different...and as he grew more aware of these changes he found he was as confused as he was exhilarated.

The boat scene in Florida was radically different than what he was used to, as well. Many more people were full-time liveaboards down here, and like any alternative community these people gathered and shared experiences and advice; in the Keys they came together around campfires on the beach or at bars in town, and he found himself falling into that vibe, too. He'd never done these kinds of things before, and he found himself pushing out of his comfort zone, sometimes being pushed, because these people had been there, done that, and recognized the symptoms of Henry's long-constricted way of seeing the world.

Though he thought he was an experienced sailor, he soon learned the ins-and-outs of the live-aboard life, and he began to think that - assuming he could manage his Parkinson's - he really could see living this way for the rest of his life. Yet he felt a hollow emptiness more acutely now, too, because most every "liveaboard" he ran across was part of a couple. He felt different, more like he was on the outside looking in. Different, and not just because of his medical condition.

Yet he still found that he had little interest in hooking up, and in a way he understood that his experience in college, watching those blond things latched onto the arms of Saudi princes, had really colored his take on relationships. He questioned the sincerity of things like love and fidelity, reduced them to equations of fiduciary responsibility that he could, in his mind, anyway, reduce to simple lines of code.

One night at a bar a girl came on hard and he'd almost been tempted, then she told him her price, what a few hours in the sack would cost, and with all his prejudices confirmed he washed his hands of the idea for good, prepared to enjoy the rest of his life as a singleton. He pulled away from the boaties after that, began to insulate himself from the world again, relying, as he had since he first started school, on sarcasm to maintain a certain kind of safe distance from people.

As winter washed away he sailed north, followed the Gulf Stream between Bermuda and the mainland as Spring came on, and he stopped off in Connecticut at the dealer, made sure Time Bandit was indeed sound enough for the crossing that lay just ahead. Two weeks later, in late April, he departed US waters on a great circle course that would take him just south of Greenland and Iceland, past the Faroes and Shetlands to Bergen. And in a way, he set his new life's course in motion, too. What Henry Taggart did not, indeed, could not fathom was the depth of uncertainty that lay ahead.

Every journey is fraught with unknown hazards and frequent moments of incredible beauty, even joy, yet here was a man almost completely unprepared to join with others of his own kind. He had insulated himself from the vagaries of human companionship for so long that he simply had no idea what could happen when life caught him unprepared for the obvious, and because words like friendship and love had become ossified abstractions, he was equally unprepared to face the consequences of his previous existence.

Because the human soul craves companionship, and Henry Taggart was a starving man, wandering through a desert of his own creation, living a life tinted through the warped lens of a stunted imagination. Because he could not even imagine what might come next, he was completely unprepared when nature decided to reset his course.

© 2020 adrian leverkühn | abw | here ends part one; look for the conclusion in a week or so.

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
17 Comments
patilliepatillie3 months ago

Enjoyed this, had a good laugh at the end where you said conclusion in a week or so, then you posted another 20+ chapters!

dgfergiedgfergie12 months ago

Excellent, what else is their to say. Humorous, sad, disheartning, the more humor, what a great writer.

Adrian LeverkuhnAdrian Leverkuhnalmost 2 years agoAuthor

Wildwood55: Thanks for this. AL

Wildwood55Wildwood55almost 2 years ago

Addendum:

The real punch line for my 2nd decade of the 21st I forgot to mention.

Turns out, in spite of every doc I posed my theory to negating it, the covid I contracted is responsible for the HPV cancer becoming active. I studied both covid and HPV cancer extensively. Covid uses RNA protein strands as the building blocks of new virus cells. When it comes to illness mutated strands, it somehow activates these diseases, sometimes many decades before they would have naturally, if they ever would have.

This explains why the incidence of rare genetic related disease, normally seen in 0.5-1% of the population has skyrocketed to 1-2% since the onset of covid. That truly if skyrocketing when you consider 2% would be a 4x's increase if the actual rate is 0.5% Bad enough to double if it's actually 1.0%.

There is at least a half dozen known diseases, very rare diseases, which are being 'activated' by covid. Still very low incidence, but then there is HPV cancer, cervical in women, throat in men. This past summer, a group of Greek docs documented the first documented case of covid, (I had it too early to test), causing a women to contract cervical cancer.

It only makes sense. People don't get sick when cancer first strikes. There are no signs when cancer begins; it's why people are told it's already Stage 4, when it's first diagnosed. When I got sick in early 2020, the FIRST symptom was a pain in my R tonsil. Then the cancer spread to a lymph node, and covid may it swell up to ping pong ball size.

The circumstantial evidence was overwhelming; the science soon followed.

Take covid seriously; keep wearing a mask, and by all means, get vaccinated, if you are not. And if you have kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews, see to it they get vaccinated for HPV. You do NOT want them ti go through what I did when they get older, even if they never get covid, they can still get cancer from HPV. And the incidence of HPV cancer IS rising.

Wildwood55Wildwood55almost 2 years ago

I'm 68. & just spent the last 2+ years in medical hell. Got Covid in Jan 2020, before anyone knew what Covid was. I thought I had a bad flu; sick for the 1st time in 25 years.

My 1st symptom the Sat morning of MLK weekend was a pain in my R throat. I went through all the classic symptoms of covid the first 7-10 days, recovered, then was dead tired for another 2 weeks, or so. In another 5-6 days, when I finally had enough energy to shave for the first time since MLK weekend, I found a lump under my R ear, about he size of a ping pong ball w-75% below the surface.

That was about the time the world had caught up w-covid, and everything had shut down. An MRI & 3-4 weeks to talk w-my doc, (she suspected a lymph node swollen from the unknown illness I had. No one, except myself suspected I had covid. I only realized it after hearing a doc describe his ordeal on BBC radio, via NPR. When he mentioned having no warning vomiting as one of the symptoms, I realized I'd contracted covid in Jan 2020.)

The MRI led to a CAT scan, which led to a PET scan & another 2 months passed in the process. The diagnosis was a nectric lymph node, surgical removal necessary. Oh, great, I thought, I get to have surgery during an effing pandemic. Little did I know, at that point.

I was referred to a head & neck surgeon. Because of covid & the shut down, check in was all consuming & hectic. It wasn't until I was standing in front of the check in desk, waiting to hear, 'Have a seat.', that I looked at the sign on this, the 9th floor of Oregon's med school clinic: Knight-OHSU Cancer Clinic.

My first thought was, 'Good to see Phil spreading his Nike money beyond UO athletics.' (I have a not so pleasant memory from working with mid-70's Nike R&D.) My next immediate thought was, 'Cancer clinic? Nobody said anything about cancer. WTF am I doing here?'

Five minutes with the surgeon explained all. I had HPV, (human papilloma virus), induced throat cancer.

'Don't you need to do a biopsy to be so certain?', I queried.

"Oh, we will, next, but I see 3-5 cases per month, of men in you age group. A biopsy will be more confirmation, and necessary protocol.

"Not to worry, you're healthy, a lifelong non-smoker, you have a 98% complete recovery rate.", he, too confidently, assured me.

Not to worry, I think. Hell, ten minutes ago, I'm worried about surgery during a pandemic. NOW, it's dropped on me I have cancer? I'm old enough my entire life has been, you get cancer, you die. I had paid no attention to advances in cancer treatment. I had lost family & friends to cancer, but no one close for 20+ years. I had no clue of my true potential life span or this 98% he's talkin'.

I go to a different oncologist for a 2nd opinion. A combo DMD & MD in oncology I had consulted re: extensive jaw surgery I'd been needing, as a pre-cursor to much needed dentures. (Little did I know my soon to be discovered near future.)

Second oncologist, same conversation, almost verbatim, except the biopsy had been done, even down to 3-5 new cases per month. Holy crap, I didn't even know HPV caused throat cancer in men, & it sounds like it's in epidemic proportions.

Second oncologist offers me a spot in clinical trials of a new med, based on the same tech used to create the covid vaccinne. It's the third round of trials, the doing phase, so I'm assured of getting the real thing, & not a placebo. I'm in.

Treatment is laid out: Surgery to remove my teeth, 6 weeks of experimental meds, robotic surgery to remove my R tonsil, and the lymph node, followed by radiation treatment.

Wait, what? Surgery to remove teeth? Huh? Seems, if you have radiation wwhere the jaws are involved, you can have no metal, (crowns or fillings), or your jaws will dissolve. Peachy. Gonna combine tooth removal with prior extensive jaw surgery. Time is of essence. Surgery is set for 3 weeks.

June 2020 I have tooth & jaw surgery. Just at 6 weeks, I have cancer surgery. It was my Gilligan's Island experience: supposed to be a "3 day tour" turned into 12 days, (w-them wanting to keep me for 20 more days, until I insisted, NO.), because the 'doctor w-training wheels' assisting my oncology surgeon missed an insipient infection in the 6" neck incision for 5 days, until I swelled up like a damn puffer fish, even though I'd had 3 successive days w- episodic bouts of high fever, profuse sweating, and bone rattling chills.

By the time the 2 different IV antibiotics were flowing, I was a sick puppy.

This was on top of my surgeon telling me, while still in the ICU, post-op, "Don't do anything atenuous, & talk as little as possible for the next 3-4 days. We got VERY close to your carotid artery during removal of your tonsil. VERY close. We don't want you to stress the fragile tissue."

This was very casually delivered... Warning me to not sneaze, cause, heaven forbid, you might rupture your carotid artery & bleed out before your hand can readh the call button, kind of casual.

Life sure can take a quick turn, as Adrian continually points out.

Seven days post-op, I get the inly good news of 2020. No need for radiation, cancer is 100% gone, all removed during surgery. I start the climb of getting my swallowing back, rid myself of the feeding tube, and head home for post-surgical rehab.

As 2021 rapidly approaches, I begin to get an ear ache in my R ear. I have had exactly one ear ache in my life. It occured after the cancer diagnosis, but before late July, 2020, cancer surgery. Common symptom of throat cancer, I later learn.

It's allergies, I tell myself. I normally get seasonal allergies from the fir trees I'm surrounded by. Like clockwork, every Fall & late Spring when the yellow dust covers everything.

My ear hurts cause of scar tissue I tell myself. Hell, even the docs believe me, and treat me for allergies. Doesn't work.

As 2021 turns to Spring, PET scan is ordered, and the cancer is back. Prognosis is now 90% with radiation, 95% if chemo is added. Surgery is not an option, (too close to carotid the first time, no more tissue to spare.),

For the FIRST time, radiation, chemo & surgery are fully explained. Radiation & surgery are analagous; they are location specific. Chemo-therapy is systemic.

Why was this not explained BEFORE surgery? Seems to me, the treatment route SHOULD have been surgery & chemo, not surgery & radiation. Was the trial med supposed to replace chemo? nothing was explained, or offered, as such.

I should have seen this as a portent of things to come, but I had a serious brain injury in 2003, and make poor decisions unless I have time to mull them over. A cancer treatment protocol is not something I should decide without a week to think about. But, I got what I feel was a bum's rush... you know, your life's on the line, bud, gotta get right on this rapidly spreading cancer, and all that.

I decide to proceed at the same hospital where I had surgery & had the diasterous infection ordeal, among other very bad experiences. Oh, was that a mistake.

I started 7 weeks of radiation & chemo in late summer, ending in early October. To say it was a bad experience is a classic understatement. Mid treatment, i was ready to transfer back to the med school, the only issue would have been a 2 week interruption in my treatment, (not sure why, should have been easier, but the rad & chemo ttreatment mgt was a friggin' nightmare, so why changed if I needed to escape.) Heard the saying, 'Felt like I was being treated like a number.'?

Bingo. Right on. On spot.

The day after my last treatment, I was back at OHSU, the med school where everything began just over 20 months before. It was like night & day. Things were explained, if some in retrospect; empathy was on display, everywhere I went, vs antipathy as the prevalent emotion.

The prior expectation of post rad & chemo of 'being tired for 6-10 months quickly went out the window 4-5 days after tratment ended. I breezed thru treatment, gained weight & got stronger. Then, on the 6th day, my body reacted. I was bed ridden for just over 4 months. Got so weak I could not get out of bed by myself. A little tired... yeah right.

Had a 12 week post treatment PET scan w- inconclusive results. Could be delayed healing, could be still existent cancer. The obvious decision I was facing was do I undergo a 2nd round of radiation/chemo. I was strong and healthy the first time, not so this time.

If it kicked my ass so bad, going in healthy & strong, what would it do going in weak & shaky? Up until 2020, I lived a life 20-30 years younger than my chronological age. I worked hard 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Retired early due to the brain injury, I was actively rebuilding my house, fabricating & building custom & retored cars, going like I was still 35 years old.

After rad & chemo, I was acting 80, not late 60's. If I went thru chemo & radiation, again, I'd likely come out permanently an old man. Did I really want to do that, or should I say eff it, fore go further treatment, rehab from the hole I was in, and live out what I had, in better shape?

Adrian's writing brings a lot of this to the front, for me. Such are the decisions none of us are prepared for,, or even discussed when we are 'educated' in our modern society. Nothing in our life's education prepares us for the choices we are faced with; I know this for a fact, because I got all the 'education' our society offers. You can't get more than Piling Higher & Deeper.

Even opting for the vaunted MD, instead doesn't do it. They tell people of the need to make the necessary decisions, but offer no guidance in making them.

Like most people, I procrastinated, employing tried & true avoidance until another 12 weeks passed, and a PET scan was repeated, just two weeks ago. I didn't even check the results on line. I had no ear ache, and that's been a better indicator than anything else. Last week, I saw my new oncologist, well another doc in training wheels, actually, for test results & a eyes on scoping of my throat.

This time the docs smiled, and were happy. my throat is healing/ has healed nicely, and there is no sign of cancer in te PET, or visually. But, I've been told that before.

Something I wasn't told before is the radiation damages your salivary glands to the point you have constant dry mouth & throat. Painful dry mouh, not the wimpy 'cotton mouth' from good weed. May never heal, either, I'm learning. I drink thin Jello, all day, all night, nothing else helps.

Oh, the 6" neck incision I mwntioned in passing? Seems that severs the parotid nerve, which controls the parotid gland. We have two, R & L. They take up most of our cheeks, and are the main salivary juice creators. Even if my salivary glands worked, any slight change in food ph, as sensed by the tongue, causes the parotid gland to cramp due to impared nerve function.

You know that slight twinge you get when food is real sweet, or sour? imagine, instead, someone jabs you with an ice pick, about an inch below your ear. THAT is called First Bite Syndrome. No real treatment; 14% chance of full recovery.

According to American doctors, it is 'very rare'. European doctors, not so much; the European Society of Throat Oncologists MANDATES their members make patients aware of FBS any time they perform one of 6 types of surgery. The number one cause of FBS is called a 'Neck Dissection'.

Exactly what I had done in 2021. But hey, FBS is rare in the states, right?

But, I'm alive. Quality of life, well, that's just an after thought, if thought of, at all. It's the price we pay, I guess.

Don't know how, but things really ought to change.

Thanks A.L. If nothing else, you provoke thought. You young ones, take notes...

Show More
Share this Story

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

The Unicorn An average guy. A retired model worth millions. Can it work?in Loving Wives
Save One Love Adopted daughter helps wounded father find love.in Romance
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Irish Eyes His love was betrayed, what next.in Romance
The Promise Promises are meant to be kept.in Romance
More Stories