Come Alive Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Britt's grin was a bit sardonic: "Oh, she mentioned guns, knives, and you -- all in the same context."

"Ah, well then, in other words -- nothing new."

"Eva's down below, as is a nurse and her daughter from Germany. She's just been diagnosed with breast cancer and needs to begin treatment. Post-mastectomy, by the way."

"Alright."

"I'd assume at this point your mother is headed home to pack her bags. I'd like Rolf to come with us this time, as well."

"Us?"

"There's an American naval officer onboard."

"You know, it is a testament to your life that not even this information surprises me. Your life is a three-ring circus, Henry Taggart."

Henry shrugged. "Truth of the matter is, Britt, all life is a carnival. Thrill rides and hucksters, and we guarantee a new freak show around every unexplored corner along the way."

"That's my Henry."

"You're my Britt, too, in case you've forgotten."

"I haven't," she said as she teared up a little. "I will come as soon as you arrive in Paris."

"I'd like Eva to stay with you, if you can manage it."

"Of course. Must Rolf stay with you through Christmas?"

"Not necessary. He will be free to come home as soon as we reach the city."

"Free?"

"To choose. He must become the man I hope he will by then."

"You are not placing too large a burden on his shoulders?"

"It would be for some. It won't be for him."

"Why are you so sure of him?"

Taggart shrugged. "No coincidences, remember? I can only hope our courses intersected for a reason..."

"Just as ours did, you think?"

"I do."

"I was embarrassed for my mother, Henry. That she lied to you about something so important."

"She couldn't help herself, Britt. Just don't ever let her stand in your way ever again. She's not worthy of that."

"That's rather brutal, don't you think?"

He shook his head. "Not brutal enough. There's a dangerous difference between a mother's protective instincts and a presumptive will to control lives. Don't make the mistake of confusing one for the other."

"Speaking from experience, I assume?"

He smiled. "I've seen a few things in my life."

"Of that I have no doubt."

"You know, this new journey began in the shadow of decisions you made, Britt. I'm here right now because of you, so remember this was our journey before anyone else came along."

"I don't forget that, Henry. But there are times I think you must."

He met her gaze directly: "Confusing summer, wasn't it? So many unexpected -- people."

"You could say that, I assume. But sticking to one of us might have been..."

"Unnecessary at this point in my life, Britt. You know and I know nothing between any of us was going to be a long term affair, so really, what did it matter?"

"Your love mattered to me, Henry. At least until I understood that my love, in the end, meant nothing to you."

He sighed. "I'm sorry that you feel that way."

"There's no other way to feel, Henry. All I need do is point to Eva or my mother. And heaven knows what this new girl has been through because of you..."

"Well, when I've left feel free to talk to her. You might find her feelings illuminating."

"Yes. We will see. Now, if you would collect Eva so that I may take her home?"

He lifted Clyde and put him on deck then started to climb on board, but his shoulders were burning and his hands started shaking uncontrollably. He looked up at Britt with uncomprehending panic in his eyes just before he collapsed, landing on the pier then rolling into the sea.

+++++

© 2020 adrian leverkühn | abw | this is a work of fiction, pure and simple; the next chapter will drop in a week or so.


12