Comforting Mum

Story Info
Janet's husband left suddenly. Why?
3.7k words
4
13.7k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,528 Followers

Copyright Oggbashan May 2021

The author asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

Today we had taken our final examination for our work qualifications. It was the cumulation of three years of study and we hoped we would pass and that would be the end. Yesterday evening Amanda and I had been in my flat revising for today's examination. I had taken her home about 11 pm.

Amanda had invited me to come to her house for a celebratory meal cooked by her mother. It was a celebration of the end of the examinations which had finished this Friday afternoon, not of the results which we wouldn't know for two weeks.

Amanda's mother, Janet, is a charge nurse at a local old people's house, working nights Monday to Thursday. She is still a very attractive woman. If Amanda grew up to be like her mother, I would be very happy. But her father, Gerald? I wasn't sure about him. He always seemed grumpy and distracted. Amanda and Janet tried to avoid interaction with him if they could - not difficult for Janet because when she wasn't working on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings, Gerald was out drinking with his mates. If I was still around when he returned, it was obvious that he was very drunk.

Gerald seemed to resent me. Why? I didn't know. It was not as if Amanda and I were boyfriend and girlfriend. For the past three years of evening class study at our local college, I had been collecting her. It was a sensible arrangement. The college is seven miles away, served by an infrequent bus route, and I had to pass Amanda's house on the way there and back.

Amanda and I work for the same company, the only two from that office on the course. Janet had a small car that she used to go to work and two evenings of our studies she would be using it. Gerald didn't have a car because he was on his second ban for drink-driving. My car was old, basic, but reliable. Amanda warned me not to upset Gerald.

"He can lose his temper easily, Andrew," she said.

"But why should he with me, Amanda? I am just a colleague who drives you to the college."

"I know. But he has a very short fuse."

We tried to make sure I avoided him. When I collected Amanda she was standing outside her front door. When we returned, I didn't get out of the car. Amanda leaned across, gave me a brush kiss on the cheek and I drove off.

We had had partners during the three years, none of whom had objected to the arrangement for going to and from college. But the last three months had seen the end of our relationships, mutually agreed because both of us were studying and revising too much to have time for much else. Our former partners were still friends but we were no longer significant to them, nor were they to us. I was beginning to think that Amanda and I might, perhaps, become an item but we had been too distracted to do much else than work.

As we left the examination hall, I thought things might have changed. Instead of the brief touch of her lips on my cheek, Amanda had pulled me into a fierce hug and kissed me full on the lips, long and hard.

When we arrived at her house, Amanda took my hand as we walked up the front path. I raised our linked hands.

"Why?" I asked.

"Just because," Amanda replied. "Actually, more than that. You've been there for me for the last three years and for nothing in return. That seems like love to me."

"It does?"

"Yes, Andrew. You've been ferrying me, supporting me in my studies, helping whenever I've felt down or that the course is interminable. You've been more than a friend."

"And you've done the same for me, Amanda."

"So? Why not? We've been collaborating and we hope the results will be worth it. Today's examination? I felt confident. What about you?"

"I was happy with my performance. It seemed easy. Whether it was? We won't know until the results, but I'm reasonably pleased."

"And I'm pleased with you, Andrew."

Amanda stopped to kiss me. She looked into my face.

"I want you, Andrew, to be my boyfriend, please?"

She looked worried as if she was afraid I would reject her. I couldn't. Amanda had been a significant part of my life for the last few years and we had never had an argument or even a cross word. My answer was to kiss her back. Our good mood lasted until Janet opened the front door. Janet had obviously been crying and looked very sad. I just opened my arms and gave her a hug. She snuggled against my shoulder and sobbed.

"What's wrong, Mum?" Amanda asked.

"Gerald's left me. He's gone. And what's worse? He left a list of all the payments he used to make for the mortgage and the utilities. He's stopped paying the lot. And I can't afford them, not on my pay alone."

"But it won't be your pay alone, Mum. I earn a living too, and up to now you have never charged me a penny for rent..."

"That was so you could save up for a place of your own, Amanda."

"That doesn't matter. We need the family home. Where's the list?"

Janet followed us through to the kitchen and picked up the note Gerald had left.

"When I got back from work this morning, he had gone and just left this note and the list of bills. He says we are separated and he will be seeking a divorce when he can."

"Why, Mum?"

Janet started crying against my shoulder again.

"I don't know. There isn't anyone else. I have been faithful. As far as I know, so was Gerald. The only moan I had about him was his drinking but I haven't even criticised him for it - although I should have done. It has been a complete surprise, and the list of payments is cruel. He says he isn't going to pay anything... But why? What have I done?"

"Sod Dad!. We need to sort our finances out first before we can worry about him."

"I'll have to go to the bank on Monday, but that's in the next town."

"And I'll have to go too. Mum."

"Amanda." I said. "We have another day off work for examinations on Monday just in case they overran. I could drive both of you to the bank, if you want."

"You would, Andrew? That would be a great help. But you would be hanging around maybe for an hour or more."

"So what, Amanda? Otherwise you would have to change buses. It is no problem for me."

"Mum? As of a few minutes ago, Andrew is now my boyfriend. As a boyfriend, he is here for me - and us."

"Congratulations. Oh shit! I forgot. I'm supposed to making a meal for us, and Gerald leaving has put it out of my mind."

"How about a takeaway?" I said. "I'll pay since you don't know how your finances will be."

"Thank you., Andrew. that would be a relief. I can't think about cooking tonight."

I left to get a Chinese takeaway. When I returned, Amanda and Janet had made two lists of who would pay for what. They seemed slightly happier. Between thenm they could afford all the bills but they were discussing the mortgage. They didn't know how much was still owing. Apparently as the interest rates had reduced, Gerald had still been paying the higher amount, and Janet had been adding more from unexpected overtime etc. The capital outstanding might be lower than Janet had thought. They would have to go to the building society as well as the banks tomorrow.

By the time I left, Janet was less stressed, still confused about why Gerald had left, but certain that she and Amanda could keep the house and pay all the bills even if it might be a struggle unless Amanda had passed the examinations and had a pay rise and promotion.

Before they let me go, Amanda kissed me hard before Janet hugged and kissed me as well. I enjoyed both of them.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I had planned to do some household jobs that had been put off while I was studying for the examinations but I invited my new girlfriend, Amanda, to go out for the day on Sunday to visit a stately home in the countryside. She said yes, but only if Janet came too. She didn't want to leave Janet alone to anguish over Gerald's departure. I agreed. I liked Janet, and a first date with Amanda and her mother I didn't see as a problem.

Sunday was a bright sunny day and the three of us enjoyed ourselves. Amanda and I could forget our examinations for the day. Next week we might be worried about the results, but today? We just enjoyed being together. I wasn't counting, but I think Janet might have kissed me more often than Amanda. I didn't mind. I had two delightful women with me, and often hugging me. We sat down on a bench with a view of the rolling hills, not that I could see them often because I had a woman on each knee competing to kiss me.

+++

On Monday while they went into the bank I moved into a nearby coffee shop. They were out in minutes, having booked a session with a customer adviser in an hour and a half. They went into the building society. Twenty minutes later they joined me.

"I don't know why Gerald left," Janet said, "but he had been planning it for some time. The cashier is an old friend. She shouldn't have but she told me what Gerald had done. A month ago he paid off a large part of the mortgage and transferred the house and mortgage to my name only. The remaining balance is just over two thousand pounds..."

"Which I can pay as soon as I have been to the bank..." Amanda added.

"We'll be going back to the building society and then we'll own the house outright." Janet said. "That is a great relief."

"But apparently Dad won some money on the lottery. He has bought a house for himself about fifty miles away. I wonder what we will find out in the bank?"

"Can you wait for us. Andrew?" Janet asked.

"Of course. You need to sort yourselves out, but now you will own the house, some of the worry has gone, surely?"

"It has but I still don't know why he left," Janet said.

They returned after visiting the bank. Janet looked slightly happier.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Gerald and I had two joint credit cards but not a joint account. He had paid off the credit cards, not there was a lot owing, and removed himself so they are now solely in my name. He had started two more credit cards just for him. But he deposited ten thousand pounds in my savings account..."

"And the same into mine," Amanda said.

"So we are solvent. Without the mortgage payment, I could almost pay for everything out of my earnings," Janet said.

"But you won't have to, Mum." Amanda said. "I am taking on a third of the bills."

"It seems that Gerald tried to leave you reasonably OK," I said.

"He has but I still don't know why he went? I'm grateful that I know we can stay in what will be our own home, as home owners, and we can pay our way, but why did he go?"

An hour later we were having a restaurant lunch and Janet was shaking her head over the paperwork.

"I still can't believe it" Janet said. "After all these years Amanda and I own the house. That mortgage has been a worry. I was always afraid that interest rates would go up, or one of us would lose a job, or we would have a major bill that would need an increase. But now? No mortgage, capital in the bank, two clear credit cards but no husband. It will take about ten days for the legal documents but effectively from then Amanda and I will be joint owners of the house, tenants in common."

"Gerald might have left, said he wasn't paying the bills, but he seems to have acted reasonably otherwise," I suggested.

"Maybe. But why? Yes, Amanda and I can survive and be financially stable, but there is no explanation as to why Gerald left." Janet said.

"But what he has done financially makes it look as if he doesn't blame you, Mum," Amanda said.

"I know. But why didn't I have any clue that he might leave? I don't understand. I ought to have noticed something," Janet said.

"Forget it, Mum. Maybe we'll find out eventually. But we are now stable and financially secure. We own the house. We can pay the bills, and who knows? If I have passed my examinations I will get a pay rise and possible promotion. I might be able to afford my own car."

"I can't forget it, Amanda. We were married for decades. I loved him. Perhaps we were just existing but I at least was content, except for his drinking. But obviously something wasn't right for Gerald. What? I'd like to know why. Which reminds me. I didn't do that meal on Friday night. How about tonight, Andrew?"

"I would be delighted, Janet."

Janet kissed me so much that Amanda objected and demonstrated that Andrew is her boyfriend by kissing me more.

+++

That evening Janet was singing in the kitchen as she worked while Amanda was demonstrating that she wanted Andrew as her boyfriend by squirming all over me on the settee.

"Why were you singing, Mum?" Amanda asked as we sat down for the meal.

"Because that is now MY kitchen, or ours. We own, or will own, the whole house, all of it. It is the first time ever that I could say that. We owe nothing on the mortgage, have no debts. It is the first time in my life and it feels fantastic. Yes, I could use my mother's kitchen but it was hers. When I was a student and for a few years afterwards I had a kitchen that was mine, but in a rented flat so it really belonged to someone else."

"And it doesn't need changing?" Amanda asked.

"No. We installed a new one about three years ago, exactly as I wanted it but temporarily we had to increase the mortgage slightly to pay for it. But now the new kitchen is paid for and is ours. That makes me happy."

"I can understand that," I said. "I own my kitchen, and the whole flat, but my kitchen isn't that special. It is dated but usable and is adequate for me."

"I didn't know you owned your flat, Andrew. I thought you rented it," Amanda said.

"My grandfather gave me a deposit of nearly three quarters of the purchase price, five years ago, Amanda, and I paid off the mortgage nine months ago. It's not much but it is all mine."

"What's it like, Andrew?" Janet asked.

It's a ground floor flat. I have a small kitchen/diner that would seat four if pushed, a bathroom, separate toilet, a small lounge that has a three seat sofa bed and two armchairs, but the bedroom is large enough for a king size bed and other furniture. But what I really like about it is that I have a garden and off road parking for two cars - useful so close to the town centre when all the roads around are yellow lined. Upstairs is owned by a young couple but they might move out shortly. They have less space than me and she is expecting in three months' time. At the moment I am letting them use the second parking space. Which reminds me. They are going to visit her parents next weekend, leaving on Friday afternoon. How about the two of you come for a meal on Friday night and you can see my place?"

"Sounds good, Andrew," Amanda said, "but you aren't a great cook. How about I do the meal?"

"If you want to? Yes, I would be pleased with that."

"OK. Mum? I'll go with Andrew from work. Could you come about seven on Friday?"

"Yes, Amanda. I'd like to see Andrew's place."

"Then that's settled. See you Friday evening."

+++

I missed collecting Amanda during the week but I saw her at work during the day. On Friday evening she pushed me out of the kitchen and started cooking. When Janet arrived she hugged and kissed me as if she had been missing me.

"Amanda? You had two letters this morning and I had one from Dad."

That reminded me that I hadn't looked at my post. Amanda and I opened our letters. We were delighted that we had our examination results. They were earlier than we had expected, and we had both passed with distinction. Each of us had a second letter from our employers telling us that now we were fully qualified we would receive substantial pay rises from next month.

That lead to a flurry of kissing before Amanda asked:

"What did Dad say, Mum?"

Janet passed the letter to Amanda.

It started with apologies but the gist was:

Gerald had won a substantial sum of money on the lottery. That had made him think about his life. He was commuting to a job he hated, working for bosses he didn't like in a dead end job that had no prospects. He didn't get on with the other employees, all of whom were dissatisfied with their work. He was faced with more than a decade of working before he could retire and the lottery win had given him the opportunity to change.

He had applied for and got a job as a trainee warden at a nature reserve. It didn't pay much but that no longer mattered to him. They could have supplied residential accommodation but he had bought a house within walking distance. He was enjoying his new role. He was sorry he had left Janet and Amanda but he wanted a complete change and to reassess his life. When he had? He might reconsider leaving Janet but he needed time to think. In the meantime, he would be paying Janet and Amanda five hundred pounds a month each towards their running costs. He hadn't said that earlier because he wasn't sure what his new running costs would be, but a small house, owned outright, was costing far less than he had thought. He wished both of them well and might be in touch in a few months' time...

An aside was that he had felt jealous of Amanda and I. We had a good employer who had been supporting and encouraging us with our studies and we had prospects of advancement which Gerald hadn't got. We enjoyed our work with friendly colleagues, unlike him.

There was a PS. He had stopped drinking. He saw that as a symptom of his past unhappiness.

Janet and Amanda wrote back to Gerald, wishing him well.

After the meal I took the two of them on a tour of my flat. In the bedroom, Amanda pulled her mother and me on to the bed for some kisses and cuddles. A few minutes later I had Janet on one shoulder and Amanda on the other before they both moved up to kiss me.

Soon Janet's head was in front of my face as she kissed me. Amanda was pressed against my side and encouraging Janet to enjoy kissing me. After about quarter of an hour Janet said:

"While I'd like to do more, Amanda, Andrew is your boyfriend, not mine, and I ought not to complicate my life. I'm going home. You can stay..."

Amanda did and that night she demonstrated the advantages of being her boyfriend, even if I loved Janet too.

Three weeks later Gerald invited the three of us to meet him at a local restaurant. I had difficultly recognising the happy and contented man he had become. It was a great evening that ended with Janet wrapped around he husband. I had collected Janet and Amanda from their house. They, and Gerald shared a bottle of wine while I, as the designated driver, was on soft drinks. At the end of the evening I drove all of us to Gerald's new house and Janet stayed there overnight. It seemed the newly happy Gerald wanted Janet back and she was willing to be with a contented husband.

Amanda and I spent the night in my large bed. In the morning I proposed to her and she accepted me.

Six months later, Janet had sold her house and was now living with Gerald. The proceeds of the house sale meant that she and Gerald could buy a larger house, also near his new place of work, and Amanda and I were able to buy out the people from upstairs and convert the whole house into a potential family home.

Janet had reduced her hours of work and had a better car. In a year or so's time, Gerald's last driving ban would end and with that the last vestige of the old unhappy Gerald. He was now a future father-in-law I was pleased to know.

Gerald's sudden departure had meant I had had to comfort Janet more than I would expect to do for a girlfriend's mother but I loved her. Whenever we met, I was hugged and kissed more than one would expect but being kissed by Janet was nearly as nice as being kissed by my fiancée. The whole family was happy and contented.

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,528 Followers
12