Coming Home Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nearly an hour later he was downstairs dressed and ready to leave.

"I hope you get it Sean." His mother fussed over him, unnecessarily straightening his tie.

"We'll see mum. I'm not going to count my chickens yet." He smiled, "It's just an initial interview."

As much as her fretting bothered him he wouldn't tell her; he could see how much it meant to her that he was finally home.

"Let's just hope they see what an asset you'd be for them."

She brushed an invisible speck of dust off his jacket, "There you look absolutely perfect."

A car horn from outside interrupted them as it announced the arrival of his taxi.

"Ok, wish me luck." Kissing her on the cheek he let himself out of the house.

It was almost an hour later at 11.15 that Sean found himself flicking through a magazine, getting more than a little irritated, as he sat in Jacksons reception area waiting to be taken through to his interview. He had purposefully turned up a good ten minutes early to make sure he was ready for eleven and they had left him waiting.

"Mr Parkes? Sorry to have kept you waiting. Would you like to come through now."

A further fifteen minutes had elapsed before a voice jerked him away from the article on trout fishing that he had been reading.

He looked up into a pair of warm green eyes to find a young attractive redheaded girl in front of him.

"Oh right. Sure."

Smiling at him with obvious interest she held out her hand.

"I'm Cassie. Mr Groves assistant." She informed him, holding his fingers in hers for several seconds longer than was necessary, "If you'd like to follow me."

Walking ahead of him he found it hard not to gawp at her backside as it wiggled ahead of him and it was a relief when she showed him through into the interview room and closed the door as she left.

"Mr Parkes, do sit down. I'm Eric Groves."

From the moment his interviewer stood up and held out his hand he had felt uncomfortable and when he asked him if he had seen any action Sean knew he wasn't going to get the job.

Ten minutes later he stood up and, barely keeping his anger suppressed, bid his interviewer goodbye before he walked out of the office.

"Finished already?" Cassie looked up and fluttered her eyelashes at him as he went by her desk.

"Tell your arsehole of a boss if he wants to know what it's like in a war zone he should join up and try it himself." He snorted and continued on towards the exit.

"Shit." She said softly, quickly getting up to hurry after him.

Outside in the street Sean paused and had just decided he needed a drink when Cassie appeared at his elbow.

"Sorry about him, you're right he is an arsehole."

"Tell me about it. He wanted to know if I'd ever killed anyone."

"Have you?" She giggled, "If you haven't maybe you could start with him."

Recognising that she was flirting with him he chuckled.

She looked at him, biting her lower lip coyly as she studied him for a moment and pressed a slip of paper into his hand.

"It's my number, if you fancy a drink sometime?" She blushed as she spoke before hurrying away without waiting for an answer.

"How about Friday?" He called after her.

Cassie stopped and smiled back at him, "Sure I can do Friday. Meet me at the bar in the Grand Metropole at seven."

"There. I don't know if you know it."

She took the piece of paper back and wrote down an address before handing it back to him, then kissing him on the cheek she went back to work leaving him standing alone.

Sean smiled to himself, not bothering to tell her he knew the hotel, and turned towards the nearby pub. She was quite a bit younger than him, he guessed she was about nineteen or twenty, but he decided it might be fun and he hadn't been on a date since Robyn.

"How did it go Sean?" His mother asked immediately he got home a while later, "Have you eaten?"

"No, I just went and had a pint." He shook his head, "I don't think they actually want anyone. At least judging by the questions they asked they don't."

Tutting loudly Maureen Parkes put the kettle on and started to make a sandwich for her son.

"Promise me you won't go back Sean." Pausing for a moment she turned back to him, "Something will turn up, I'm sure of it."

"I'll give Briony a call and see if she's got anywhere with her contact at WestTech." He didn't meet her gaze, there was still the problem of Mackenzie to deal with, "But if I can't find work what else can I do?"

"You.... you could go to work with your father." She suggested hesitantly knowing what her son would say.

He looked up sharply and she could see the anger in his eyes.

"I'd rather take my chances and go back in." Sean stated a little more brusquely than he intended.

Maureen quickly turned away at his statement, tears already forming in her eyes, and he knew she was upset.

"Sorry mum." Hugging her to him he could hear her sniffling as she tried not to cry, "It's just if I can't find anything...."

He let his sentence tail away.

"Why can't you just meet a nice girl and settle down." Looking up at him she smiled and stroked his cheek.

"That ship sailed a long time ago mum."

"So, there was someone then?" Busying herself with making the tea she continued to chat to him.

Not getting a reply from her son she turned her eyes towards him and a sudden realisation hit her.

"Oh my God, have you met someone?"

"Yes, there was a girl." He responded hesitantly, "I met her just before I left and...."

"Have you seen her since you've been back? Does she know that you're home?"

Sean shook his head, "I've seen her but she didn't seem to recognise me and anyway she's married with a child."

"Oh Sean."

"No matter I have a date on Friday."

His mother raised an eyebrow and he laughed.

"Don't go buying a new hat mum. It's just a date and, to be honest, she's probably a bit young for me."

His week continued slowly and apart from his regular exercise routine and meeting up with Denny Foulkes Sean had little to do over the next couple of days, although he did talk to his sister about her contact at WestTech.

Arriving at the Grand Metropole hotel ten minutes early he found himself a seat at the end of the bar where he could see who came in without being noticed. He had just ordered himself a drink when Cassie arrived and slid onto the stool next to him.

"Hi." She gave him a broad smile, "You came."

"Why wouldn't I?"

She shrugged, "Oh I don't know. Maybe I'm too young for you or you changed your mind?"

Sean didn't answer her. Instead, he just stared over her shoulder at the sight of Mackenzie Frane walking through the bar to greet an older man seated at the other end of the counter. His interest piquing as the man stood up to kiss her on the cheek.

Clearly he wasn't her husband and the way they interacted told him he wasn't a relative either.

'Could she have a lover maybe?'

'Was he the father of her child?

A number of thoughts immediately sprang unbidden into his head.

"Sean..."

Twisting in her seat Cassie looked across the room, noting the attractive blonde who her date was clearly looking at.

".... Who is she?"

"Just someone I knew once." He responded not taking his eyes off of Mackenzie, his heart sinking, as he wondered what she was doing meeting a man in a bar rather than going home to her husband.

"I would say, looking at your expression, she was more than just a someone."

Glancing back at Cassie he smiled thinly, "She might have been once, had things been different."

She took a sip of her drink watching Sean as his eyes switched back to the other girl, following her as the older man almost frogmarched her towards the dining room.

"Maybe I should go?"

"I'm sorry Cassie." He turned his attention back to the her, "Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea."

"How long ago was it?" She asked taking another sip of her drink.

He shrugged, "About eight years."

"And you're still in love with her?'

"I...." He stopped, finally accepting the fact, "Is it that obvious?"

"Yes." She chuckled, "It's ok. You're a nice guy Sean. If you do ever get her out of your mind give me a call."

They sat for a while just talking, Cassie finishing her drink, before she stood up and, kissing him on the cheek, said goodbye and left him sitting alone at the bar.

Nursing his beer, he simply sat and considered what he was going to do with his life. He had no job and at the moment his employment prospects appeared somewhat bleak; he had had no luck at Jacksons and now he was waiting to see if WestTech had anything they could offer him or he could go and work for his father.

'Maybe I'd be better off going back in?'

He couldn't stop himself from thinking that perhaps he should just re-enlist. At least that way he would be away from her.

Sighing to himself he took one last mouthful of his beer, finishing his drink and ordering another. Once it arrived he left it sitting in front of him as he mulled over what to do with his life now. He had no idea how long he sat there contemplating his future before deciding he ought to go home.

Glancing round towards the restaurant thinking about Mackenzie Frane he was just in time to see her heading back to the bar. She was obviously upset, judging by the tears on her cheeks, and sliding up onto a stool he watched as she ordered a large vodka.

While part of him said he should walk away another, larger part, was curious about her.

Standing up he made his way across to her.

"Are you ok?"

She had just swallowed half the glass in one go, grimacing against the taste when his voice made her swivel around to stare at him.

Chapter 08 - Mackenzie

For several seconds she just stared at him, her pulse starting to race as she looked into the brown eyes that had haunted her dreams for the last eight years.

'It was him. It just had to be him.'

"Are you ok?" He asked again, interrupting her thoughts.

"What?"

"Is everything ok? You looked upset."

Swallowing hard he tried to calm his heart as it thudded against his rib cage as he gazed at the only girl he had ever loved.

Ignoring his question Mackenzie wiped her wet cheeks with the palm of her hand, "Yes.... thank you, it's... it's Sean isn't it?"

Smiling he picked up a serviette off the bar and offered it to her, "You remembered."

"Thank you." She blushed accepting the tissue, "I think I owe you an apology."

"There's no need but perhaps you should go home to your husband?"

"My husband?" She gave him a slightly confused look before holding up her left hand and chuckling, "I'm not married?"

"Sorry. Your partner then."

Her grin got a little bigger, "No partner either. If you're referring to Tabs then I should tell you I'm a single mum."

"Oh, so, who was the man you were meeting? Sorry if I'm being too nosey."

She shook her head sending her blonde hair swaying across her shoulders and his heart rate through the roof, "Charles Marwell, my boss and first-class lecher."

"Oh, you and he are....." Sean let his sentence just fade to nothing as he realised he was asking too much.

"What no. No way." Mackenzie pulled a face, "He would like it to be the case but... no. Not a chance."

"Oh, I.... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." It was his turn to blush now, "It's really none of my business."

"I'm the one who's sorry sergeant Parkes. I said some terrible things at the café and I... well I was wrong." Mackenzie said remorsefully, "Can I buy you a drink to apologise."

"I'll have a beer if that's ok? And it's just Sean now."

"I'm Mackenzie and please have a seat." She smiled warmly and indicated to the vacant stool next to her, her heart racing with the excitement she felt at being close to him.

Sean slid onto the seat as she ordered their drinks and the bartender shuffled off to get his beer, along with another large vodka for her.

"What happened to the sergeant?" She asked as they waited.

He shrugged, "Nothing. I... I've decided to come out."

The thought that he might be around for longer than just a period of leave sent a warmth straight to junction at the top of her thighs.

"Any particular reason."

Sean shook his head. There was a very good reason but he didn't want to bring it up and set her off again.

"A couple of things."

Just then the barman returned and placed their drinks in front of them.

"I warn you I intend getting quite drunk." Lifting her glass, she giggled and clinked it against his.

"I see. So, is everything ok?" He asked her yet again, "With your boss."

"A bit of a work problem that's all. Nothing to worry about." Mackenzie shrugged avoiding giving him a direct answer, "So, you were with Liam when it... when he was... killed?"

"Ah... who told you?"

She finally gave him a genuine smile, "Belinda Foulkes. She said her husband is a good friend of yours."

"Yeah, Denny and I go back to when I joined up eight years ago."

"You held him in your arms when he... when he passed away." The tears came again but this time he knew the reason why.

Struggling to stop himself from breaking down Sean just nodded, too choked up to speak.

"And the funeral. You couldn't come because of your injuries. That's what Belinda said."

Swallowing hard he nodded again, "Yeah I was in hospital for three months all told."

"So, what brought you here? Apart from seeing mum that is."

"This is my home. I haven't seen my parents since I joined up and... well I'm leaving the Marines so I thought it's time to mend some fences."

"What will you do now then?"

He shrugged, "I'm not sure. I need a job that's for certain. My sister was going to call her friend at WestTech Industries HR department for me."

"Your sister's Briony Miller?" Mackenzie exclaimed, suddenly making the connection, "Of course, Miller's her married name. I didn't think."

"Wait you're the friend she was talking about?"

"Guilty as charged." She held up her hands, "WestTech's new HR manager."

"I guess my chance of a job there has gone now then."

"Not necessarily." She giggled cheekily and took another large mouthful of her vodka, "I'll think about it, if you're nice to me."

"What exactly does 'being nice' entail?"

'I could suggest a few things.'

Mackenzie bit her bottom lip and stopped herself repeating the thought that popped into her head.

"I'll have to think about it."

They both chuckled and, falling into an easy conversation, the two of them continued to chat for another hour or more. As they talked she found herself staring into his eyes, totally mesmerised by them just as she had been all those years ago.

'Could they possibly be together?'

'I would need to tell him everything.'

'What if he hated me afterwards?'

A whole host of thoughts ran through her mind as she sat and fell for him all over again.

Several drinks later they got up to leave, both of them more than a little drunk. Sean insisting that he escorted her home despite her protests, leaving her secretly delighted to spend more time with him.

Taking his arm outside the hotel, she felt a shiver of excitement running through her as they strolled nonchalantly back to her flat.

Walking along with him she tried to analyse her feelings. She had only really met him a few days previously but she had known him a lot longer. One thing she was certain of now was that even though she had loved him for years she also liked him, a lot.

When they reached her door Sean went to say goodnight only for her to put a finger to his lips.

"Coffee?" Mackenzie had no idea why she said it, all she knew was that she didn't want the night to end and it felt right to her.

"Err... yeah sure."

In her small kitchen she put the coffee machine on before turning to face him.

"Why don't you like me?"

Her question stunned him.

"I err... who said I don't."

Mackenzie blushed, "I assumed after my ranting in the cafe."

"Its ok, I understand why you said what you said."

"You do?" She stood in front of him, looking up into his face and biting her bottom lip coyly.

"Yeah, I do and just for the record I do like you."

She fluttered her eyelashes, "Then why haven't you kissed me."

Time stood still as they stared into each-other's eyes for what seemed like an eternity before Sean pulled her into his arms and did as she requested.

Their lips met, gently to begin with but then with growing passion as she surrendered herself to him. Her arms encircling his neck while her body moulded itself to his so tightly she was sure he would feel the frenetic beating of her heart.

She hadn't had any idea of what her intentions had been as they walked home but it certainly hadn't been to throw herself at him.

Unable to stop she kissed him again and again, peppering his mouth with them as she refused to release her hold on him. Fortunately for her his own hands were busy, caressing down her back, cupping her bottom and holding her equally tightly.

'Oh God I want him so badly.'

'Is this a one-night thing?'

Again, a host of conflicting thoughts filled her mind.

Forcing them away she surrendered to the sensations that he was creating inside her, ignoring any semblance of reason, determined to give herself to him.

"Take me to bed." Leaning her head back away from his face she whispered as seductively as she could.

Grinning from ear-to-ear Sean scooped her up as if she weighed nothing and headed for one of the closed doors.

"Wrong way silly.... Over there." She giggled and pointed in the other direction.

Carrying into the right room he set her down on her feet, looking into her deep blue eyes.

"Mackenzie I need to...."

"Stop. I want you." She went on tip-toe and kissed him again, cutting him off mid-sentence, "No explanations, no revelations, just us."

Sean knew he should tell her, to ask her if she remembered him from all those years ago, but he somehow couldn't. He wanted her so much he couldn't take the chance she would reject him. So instead, he pulled her back against him and let his mouth start to hungrily devour hers yet again.

As they kissed he slowly drew down the zipper at the back of her dress until it reached the top of her arse crack, the garment peeling apart to expose her smooth pale skin beneath.

Stepping away from him for a moment she kept her eyes on his and, doing a sexy little shimmy, let her dress slide down her legs to pool around her feet.

"Do you like?" Mackenzie asked self-consciously, keeping her eyes focused on the floor.

Putting his finger under her chin he lifted her face, "I like a lot."

'Would he remember her?'

She blushed and tried to subtly remind him, "I... I don't do things like this.... except... I did.... once."

Leaning closer he gently pressed his lips to hers again, his stomach unclenching as he finally realised she knew who he was.

"I know." Was all he said.

'He did.'

Her heart did several somersaults as they stood and looked at each other before he lowered his mouth to hers.

For the next few minutes they kissed, longingly, their tongues playing together as she pulled off his shirt and unfastened his pants, pushing them down so her fingers could curl around his engorged manhood. At the same time, he fumbled her bra open, slipping it off her shoulders to expose her modest breasts.

"Please, I want you Sean.... don't make me beg." Leading him towards the bed she kept her hand wrapped around his tumescent prick.

"I want you too." Between kisses he whispered a response, his hands on her tits, mauling them gently as he teased her nipples into firm bullets, "More than you can imagine."

Falling back onto the bed she pulled him against her, their mouths again moulding together reflecting the growing lust they both felt.