Confrontation Ch. 10: On a Prayer

Story Info
How can the investigation continue with key suspects dead?
5k words
4.5
567
00

Part 10 of the 12 part series

Updated 11/03/2023
Created 10/06/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
1fastguy
1fastguy
301 Followers

It's easy to forget about time zones if there's big news to tell. When we phoned Jaguar late in the morning Lisbon time, it was still the middle of the night in Peru. He wasn't happy about being jolted from his sleep.

"Carlos! What the Hell! Do you know what time it is?"

"I'm really sorry Jag, but something big just happened here."

"Important enough to wake us up? Come on man, don't call me this early."

"Somebody just shot the Ambassador. Not sure if he's dead or not. Someone with a gun at a ribbon cutting."

"Dammit!... Did they get the shooter?"

"No. Not from what we've heard. We're watching TV news and just getting bits and pieces of the story."

"Do you think it has anything to do with the smuggling? The ambassador is our main suspect."

"Don't know. They're saying it might have been a Far Left radical.... Wait a minute.... An update from the hospital.... Oh Jeez! Echevarria is dead!"

"Did Elena ever get in to see him?"

"No. She was in his office waiting for him to come back from the event."

"What a goddam mess! Just when we were closing the net."

"Any ideas, Jag? We figure everybody involved will be thinking funeral. Maybe we should just come back and regroup?"

"It's too early in the day for me to make that call. Let me know what you're going to do."

"Yeah, OK. Go back to sleep now. Sorry again."

"Are you kidding me? I'm wide awake."

Two days later, Elena and I get back to Peru. We settle into our routines and our work while the smuggling case moves to the back burner. Interestingly, none of the South American radical groups claim responsibility for the murder. This makes us think that there might be something besides politics at play here. We all watch the news carefully for clues, but the assassin isn't caught.

****

Left without direction by the murder, the little group gathers to hash out what they already know or suspect. They've fitted some bits into place but still haven't been able to complete the puzzle, especially with the chief suspect dead. No stone can remain unturned.

Marina plays moderator.

"Let's start with the sources. Where are the artifacts coming from?" she begins.

"I found two good leads," Jaguar speaks up. "That old couple, the Recaros in Cuzco, who claim to be selling what they had dug up or bought from collectors over the years."

"Credible or not, Jag?"

"I'd say they're telling the truth, but that's just a hunch. The more likely source is Emile Urbano, who has been digging in different regions, especially in Nazca. He gets permits, but the local official never inspects the site or prepares reports. Nobody knows what he's finding. I wonder if Ms. Gonzalves tipped him off that I'd be visiting his dig because it had been closed down in a rush."

"No other known sources?"

"I wish there were because I think there are a lot of pieces going into private collections."

"How can you tell, Jag? "Marina challenges. "Or is it just a guess?"

"I have overseas auction catalogues, and they all list some ancient Peruvian pieces. And the stuff went for big money too."

"So, what's the pipeline connecting Urbano to the auctions? You have plenty on that, don't you?"

"Yes. Across the border into Brazil, along the Inter-oceanic Highway, and most likely other places too. Trucks carry it, and likely the bar girls who go back and forth between the two countries. It all seems to funnel into Manaus through Antonio DaSilva's bar."

"Do we know anything about him?"

"He's slime!" Elena spits out. "Runs a whorehouse and abuses the girls. I've seen it."

"A long criminal record too," Carlos adds. "Mostly smuggling and extortion. He served some time but keeps his head down now."

"And you tracked those two artifacts with RTags through his bar. One to Sao Paulo and the other one to Belem, right?" Marina asks.

"Yeah. We visited the guy in Sao Paulo. An arrogant playboy collector. He's on contract now to bid for pieces on behalf of the National Museum...."

"What? Why him, Jag?" Elena interrupts.

"It was the only way to connect with him, to figure out what part he plays in the scheme. He's the one who got me the auction catalogues because he follows that scene closely."

"And Jag tells me that the piece tracked to Belem ended up in Portugal, while the other one never left Sao Paulo," Marina continues. "What's with that?"

"Elena and I found it in a shop in Cascais owned by Ambassador Echevarria's daughter. There were some other artifacts from Peru there too, but the real trove was in her Lagos condo. Even one of the pieces we saw going through Antonio's bar."

"What about the RTag tracked to Sao Paulo? It never left there," Marina wonders.

"I think it raises the possibility that Fernando Vila is working with Antonio to syphon off some of the pieces for himself," Jaguar explains. "He's a collector. Maybe he uses the international auctions to make money from some of it too?"

"But the main supply was going to the Ambassador," his wife continues. "Or do we know that for certain?"

"No. With him dead, we can only guess," Jag notes. "Somebody at the Peruvian trade envoy's office in Belem sent or carried pieces to Ms. Echevarria in Cascais. Then she sold what she didn't want."

"Two collectors, both selling our precious heritage. Disgusting!" Elena exclaims.

Then Jag asks for more about Fernando's ties to Antonio.

"Anything, Carlos. Maybe some old connection, since they're taking some of the trade for themselves. Fernando is a lawyer. Did he defend DaSilva in court?"

After a bit more speculation Jaguar calls a halt. "So... that's all we have right now. Eventually, we'll take this to some authorities I can trust."

"And who would that be?" Marina says.

"Maybe Interpol. If the auction houses involved are in London, then Scotland Yard would the best one to investigate there."

Nothing much happens in the next two weeks. Carlos tries to link lawyer and criminal without any success. The Ambassador's murderer remains at large, while the Lisbon embassy suite is redecorated in preparation for the successor. Some say that Ms. Echevarria removed only personal items and mementos when she cleaned out the place, but none of us believe it's true.

Carlos manages to sleuth out one detail relevant to the case. The Echevarria family owns Intercontinental Freight with an old political friend, Aurelo Gonzalves. His daughter Tereza is that lax regional official down in Nazca, where priceless treasures are being unearthed while she sits in her office doing nothing. More puzzle pieces are fitting into place.

Then a break comes when Fernando Vila contacts Jaguar about Southerby's next London auction. It will include a dozen Peruvian antiquities, and he faxes Jag a presale auction catalogue to select items which the lawyer should bid for on behalf of the National Museum.

The catalogue is eye-popping in the quality of the offerings. Jaguar counts seven different ancient Peruvian cultures encompassed by the sale. It demonstrates that what our little team has uncovered is probably only the tip of a massive smuggling iceberg.

Jag decides that he and Marina must get to London and attend the auction to see where these treasures are going.

****

A few days later....

Neither Jag nor Marina have been to London before. They travel right away so they can explore the city before the auction. Naturally, their interest runs to museums, and London doesn't fail to impress.

The incredible British Museum grabs their attention for an entire day, particularly the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. Next day they're dazzled by the vast sculpture collection in the main aisle of the Victoria and Albert, and the Cast Courts with that towering copy of Trajan's Column.

There's business to be done in London, but there s time for pleasure too. One evening they enjoy a musical production at the old Shaftsbury Theatre. Marina's spectacular black satin gown shimmers against the plush red velvet of their very private little box to the side of the stage.

During the second act, her husband slides his fingers along her thigh until his hand comes to rest oh-so-close. He leaves it there, and not to be outdone, she does the same to him, a hint of what will come later.

Their performance continues back at the hotel. Marina's sexy dress is carefully hung in the closet, and Jag's black suit is draped across a chair. They lay naked on the bed, kissing and touching, caught up in the thrill of loving. His fingers tease her again while she slowly strokes his stiff member. They murmur sweet words between tasting each others lips.

Now Marina lowers herself across his body, nipping at skin as she goes. Chest, stomach, and then groin- in turn they all fall prey to her teasing teeth. But the best comes last, as those painted lips curl around Jag's throbbing crown and her tongue teases his flesh. Her sparkling eyes flicker before closing in pleasure.

Jaguar doesn't want this bliss to end too soon, so he reaches down to take his wife's face in both hands, before drawing her back up. It's his turn to taste her sumptuous skin. He tenderly kisses one nipple then the other until they harden, causing Marina to moan softly. As he does this, Jaguar slips two fingers lower before curling them up to stimulate.

Enough teasing! Jag comes to his wife missionary style, and she brings up her legs around his trunk, clinging tightly as he slowly eases against her plush body. A night of love feels wonderful for both of them, and the London auction is far away for a while.

Tiring from his efforts, Jaguar rolls onto his back. Marina knows what her man wants, so she kneels across his torso, crouching above him. Slowly, she begins to slide along his length, Jaguar groaning as his woman clenches firmly.

It's a passionate night for scenes like this to play out in their hotel room. Every performance reaches a peak of rising action, and theirs is inevitable too.

They move to Marina's favourite position, with her husband on his knees behind her, pushing with all his might. It brings out something animal in both of them as their flesh slaps loudly, their overheated bodies slamming together. Marina is on fire!

"More, Jag! Love meee...."

"Can't... go... much... longer," he groans, summoning up a final effort.

Soon, soul-satisfying orgasms reduce both of them to heaving, sweating lovers, gasping for breath. They come back down from their mutual high, then lay contemplating the power of what they've just done. The couple knows that their love only makes this intimacy better!

The next day, after a leisurely breakfast in their room, Jaguar seems surprisingly preoccupied. His wife knows him well enough to realize he's thinking about the coming auction again.

"I'm going to be out for the rest of the morning," he announces. "There's something I need to do, but I should be back by early afternoon. Meanwhile, think about where we could go for lunch."

"Not telling me where you're going? I hope this doesn't mean you have a string of old girlfriends to visit in London too," she teases, aware of his travelling past.

This brings a sharp jab of guilt to Jaguar because he knows that less than a month ago he was seduced by old friend Mercedes in Cuzco without offering very much resistance at all. He regrets it and hopes that Marina never finds out.

"No. It's about the auction. I'll tell you all about it, but for now I'm still just working it through. See you later, baby." And with a kiss, he's gone.

Jaguar uses the subway system to make his way across London to the appointment he's been eager to keep since arriving. Before long, he stands at the front doors of the solid stone building, where he is expected. He's quickly ushered upstairs and steered into a bright room.

He has written notes with him so that nothing is forgotten. Two people sit to take his testimony, and they burrow through the whole thing over the next two hours. A working plan begins to take shape, one that will please him a great deal, if it's actually carried out. However, they just don't know yet.

Jag seems refreshed when he returns from his meeting. Marina notes that he's smiling and a little silly. She's chosen a nearby restaurant for lunch, and there's a spring in his step as they walk there. Jaguar is quite talkative and Marina wonders what has her husband feeling so good.

That evening there is an auction preview at Southerby's, a chance for registered bidders to carefully examine all the pieces being offered two days hence. All the items are described and photographed in an auction catalogue, but nothing can replace seeing the goods first hand.

There is a surprisingly large crowd of people on hand, considering the relatively high cost of registering to bid. It seems as though people from around the world have come tonight, though it is entirely possible most of them are Londoners, given the population makeup of this place. Most have a catalogue and are searching out items of particular interest to them.

****

Jaguar is pensive when they arrive. He's thinking about what's ahead, his mind churning as he watches the auction-goers. He's distracted, deep in thought....

"I don't expect to see Fernando Vila here. He'll be bidding for me on the phone from Brazil, using the catalogue. I'm worried about him pushing up the price of items I want for the museum so he can maximize his own commission. I don't trust the bastard at all."

"Let's take a good look at everything, Jag," my wife interrupts, and I snap back to the present.

Marina and I are stunned by the exceptional Peruvian pieces which will be offered in two days. We see a king's ransom worth of articles which belong in the National Museum. There is no chance that I'll be be to pick up all of these precious pieces with the five million dollar bank advance given to me by the museum. Will most of these treasures be lost into private collections?

The auction catalogue illustrates and details what's available:

Item 201: Carved wooden 'kero'- drinking cup- decoratively painted in many bright colours. Tiwanaku culture, Middle Horizon Period 600- 1 000 C.E., southern Peru/ northern Bolivia. Condition: Very good, paint worn where held. Pre-auction estimate: 80 000 to 100 000 Pounds Sterling.

Item 202: Carved wood and shell mother-of-pearl jaguar figure decoratively painted in browns and orange. Chimu Empire, Late Intermediate Period 1 000- 1 400 C.E., northern Peru. Condition: Very good to Excellent, small gouge in base. Estimate: 95 000 to 120 000 Pounds Sterling.

Item 203: Ceramic effigy jar in the shape of a head, suggesting ritual decapitation, painted designs. Nazca culture, Early Intermediate Period 200 B.C.E.- 600 C.E., south coastal Peru. Condition: Excellent, no flaws. Pre-auction estimate: 100 000 to 125 000 Pounds Sterling.

Item 204: Multicoloured woolen burial shroud with bold woven panels featuring the Oculate Being holding severed heads. Paracas cult, Early Horizon Period 750- 200 B.C.E., south coastal Peru. Condition: Excellent, a few edge threads. Pre-auction estimate: 200 000 to 250 000 Pounds Sterling.

"That might be the same one that Carlos and Elena saw passing through Antonio's place in Manaus!" I whisper to Marina. "And they shot photos and video of the whole damn exchange. If that's the one, we've nailed the bastards!"

Item 205: Hammered sheet-metal and shell inlay decapitator god with sacrificial knife and severed head. Moche cult, Early Intermediate Period 200 B.C.E.- 600 C.E., northern Peru. Condition: Excellent. Pre-auction estimate: 300 000 to 400 000 Pounds Sterling.

Item 206: Sheet gold portrayal of sun god Viracocha's crying face, with rays around the head. Tiwanaku culture, Middle Horizon Period 600- 1 000 C.E., southern Peru/ northern Bolivia. Condition: Perfect. Estimate: 800 000 to 1 000 000 Pounds Sterling.

Item 207: Large bridge-spouted pot, brightly painted with Oculate Being and trophy heads. Nazca culture, Early Intermediate Period 200 B.C.E.- 600 C.E., south coastal Peru. Condition: Perfect, vibrant colours. Pre-auction estimate: 250 000 to 300 000 Pounds Sterling.

"Look at that, would you!" I exclaim to my wife. "I know that they saw this one go through Antonio's bar, and got all the evidence of money changing hands too. I need to get this one for the museum. And look at the next one listed here! My god!"

Item 208: Large sheet gold mask of the sun god Inti, perhaps used in cult worship ceremonies at Coricancha Temple in Cuzco. Inca, Late Horizon Period 1 400- 1 530 C.E. Condition: Perfect. Pre-auction estimate: 1 250 000 to 1 500 000 Pounds Sterling

And so it goes through a dozen pieces of ancient Peruvian history and culture, items shaped by peoples as much as two thousand years ago.

Interest in the artifacts from Peru seems to be running high, with many people evaluating the pieces through the evening. I need to come up with a strategy to prevent them from being lost into collections forever.

The following morning, I wake up agitated and phone my contact to make another appointment. After lunch with Marina at a little place by the pond in Hyde Park, I make my way back to the office I visited two days ago, where I sit down with the same two people. I make a strong request- a demand almost- and they reassure me that they'll do their best, although time is very short.

I leave worried. Thoughts plague me now.

How much will I be able to buy for the National Museum? Will I be outbid by collectors from around the world? After all, I saw the strong interest in Peruvian articles at the auction preview. And, how will I compete with Fernando Vila, if he starts bidding items up to maximize his commission from the museum?

That evening I confess my worries to Marina. She assures me that all will work out, but I remain skeptical. She tries her best to get me out of the funk into which I've fallen, but things are so tense that even a full application of her feminine charms fails to work. Afterwards, I can't sleep and slip out into the sitting room of our suite.

The jaguar spirit from the mysterious Lanzon at Chavin de Huantar is the only thing that can help me now. It has heard my prayers before, and I trust that it will hear them once again. I close my eyes to focus on the fearsome image of the stone god, and begin to chant softly in a rising and falling cadence

"Salva los tesoras".... [Save the treasures]... "Salva los tesoros.... Salva los tesoros.... Salva los tesoros.... Salva los...."

After several minutes in an almost trance-like state, I feel some relief and rejoin Marina in bed for a peaceful sleep.

The day before the auction, I receive a call from Fernando Vila in Sao Paulo. He wants to know if there are any particular pieces from the catalogue that he should bid on. I want to elbow him out now as much as I can, so I choose one item, the least expensive of the lot.

"Just go for Item 203, the Nazca ceramic effigy jar like a severed head," I tell him. "But don't take it over over 100 000 Pounds Sterling. I want this to be a trial run. If our partnership goes well on this, we'll buy more next time around."

"Aw.... Hell, man! That's disappointing! I want to show what I can do for you, and you pick one piece. One little piece! Turn me loose on some more."

"Next time. Hey, it's not my own money, and if I'm not careful with it, I'll be looking for a new job."

"Come on! Just one more this time. How would that be, Jaguar?"

"OK. OK. Go up to a hundred on Item 202, the Chimu carved wooden and mother-of -pearl jaguar. But that's it. Just those two this time."

"Well, shit! You've got a five million line of credit and you hold me at two hundred thousand pounds! The cheapest ones! Let me take a run at those golden sun god masks too."

"Absolutely not! Not this time. We need to confirm trust here. I'll give you some of the museum's money to spend, and you just get me those two items that I want, no more. Understand?"

1fastguy
1fastguy
301 Followers
12