Consent of the Governed Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lionel Carmela made no attempt to hide the pure hatred in his eyes as he stared daggers at Stephanie Steele. Tracy Stone and Teresa Croyle were giving Carmela that look right back. As to me, I smiled as my eyes found Stephanie's, and she knew that I was acknowledging her courage in saying what she had just said... courage we both knew would be backed up by the power of the Crowbar, if necessary.

And I had a feeling that it would become necessary.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I got Laura into my Police SUV easily enough, but as we were about to drive out, the entrance was suddenly blocked by a mob. Most of them were students, but I pointed out to Laura that a number of them were the scruffy, unkempt, unwashed environmentalist wackos that showed up at Council meetings.

Many were carrying signs and banners. Most were made for the Press cameras, saying things like 'FIRE FREDRICSON!' and 'RESIGN NOW!'. But some were ugly, saying things like 'CANCEL THE CUNT!' and 'FUCK YOU LAURA!'. And then I noticed at the edge of the group, Pat Stellum and his cameraman were interviewing the slugs.

"Are they making him do these assignments?" Laura asked me, "or does he really enjoy covering this violence?"

"Some of both, I'd imagine." I replied. "Now where the hell is the Campus Police?"

The student mob had pretty much stayed in place, blocking us but not advancing into the parking lot. But I noticed that Pat Stellum was on his cellphone, as were some of the students. He began talking to a couple of them, and now some of them were advancing towards the parking lot gate... and the grand total of two Campus Police Cadet Officers.

Teresa and Tracy Stone were in Teresa's Police SUV behind me. I texted that her that if the students advanced into the lot, I was going to open my door and start shooting at them. Her text in reply to mine came in: "Hang on. Help is on the way."

And indeed, help came... but not in the way I expected. I heard a siren in the distance on the entrance drive to the parking lot, then saw flashing LED lights... red and white lights, not blue. A Town & County Fire Department truck was coming towards us and the mob!

During the violent riots the previous summer, the TCFD had seen fit to get a truck equipped with with a water cannon on top, which was operated by a Firefighter within protected cab, like a crane on top of the truck. It was meant to be able to control fires during the riots while giving the Firefighters some protection. But now I realized what they were about to use that water cannon on...

I saw Teresa turn on her blue lightbar as the fire truck came up, and I did the same. The truck's water cannon began blasting a jet of water at the protesters, knocking some of them down. The student mob began dispersing... rapidly. I drove out, followed by Teresa, following the truck as it backed up out of the road.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The Campus Police Commissioner dodged and weaved with every fancy excuse he could think of." said Chief Moynahan as he, the Sheriff, me, Teresa, Laura, and Tracy Stone reviewed what had happened in the Chief's Conference Room. "He never quite explained why the Campus Police didn't call the TCPD or the State Patrol to help."

Chief Moynahan: "He also didn't explain why the Campus Police physically blocked two TCPD paddywagons from coming on Campus with our SWAT Teams in them, ready to extract yoooooo. In their unholy zeeeeeal to stop the TCPD, they didn't notice the Fire Truck slip by them. Heh heh heh heh,"

"That was an outstanding idea by the Iron Wolf." I said, giving Teresa the praise she so very much deserved.

"Give Roy Easley the credit, sir." said Teresa, mentioning the Fire Marshal and Medal of Valor recipient. "He gave me the idea at the Hospital ceremony. He said it would've been a lot of fun to blast those protesters with water for interrupting our remembrance ceremony. And then we started talking, and then included the Fire Chief, and so on."

"Brilliantly planned, flawlessly executed." I said. "But I still want to know why the Campus Police didn't show up, even after I texted and called them and told them we were in some serious danger, there."

Tracy Stone said "I talked to a few people that I knew while I was in the Campus Police with them. They said that the Campus Police are being threatened by Lionel Carmela with lawsuits and criminal complaints if they interdict student protests... and the U.S. DOJ Civil Rights Division has also threatened Dr. Wellman and the Regents with civil rights lawsuits if, and I quote, 'the Campus Police start acting like the TCPD', close quote."

Tracy: "So the Campus Police are being trained to (air quotes) 'surround and contain' any student protests,but not to engage the protesters without permission, even if property or lives are being threatened. In other words, they would have had to wait until you or a building were actually attacked, then call in for permission to engage the perps."

I replied "Just like what the cops in Chicago and Wilmington, Delaware have to do before they can chase a perp on foot... they literally have to stand in place and call in to the Brass. I'll keep that in mind... I'll keep that in mind..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 2:10pm, Teresa came to my office, her face looking solemn. "I just got word from Todd. The Ethics Board has reached their decision." she said, sadness in her voice.

I peered at her, then said "Don't keep me in suspense------"

*CHIME!*

It was my personal iPhone, and the message was from Stephanie Steele: "Laura acquitted." Relief flooded through my very soul.

"Good try, Iron Wolf." I said with a grin. "You held your face very well. This is from Stephanie Steele, and she said Laura was exonerated."

Teresa gave what was for her a grin. "Yes sir. Todd said it was a very close vote, though, and that Carmela, Camp, and Rivera were bitterly angry about it, and shouted threats at the others as they walked out... with Carmela telling President Wellman that his, Wellman's, career was over and to start cleaning out his office..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 2:15pm. "We are interrupting your regularly scheduled programming with breaking news! The University Ethics Board as exonerated Dr. Laura Fredricson!"

Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that after a bitter debate, Dr. Fredricson was cleared of all charges of ethics violations in a very close vote! We now go to Amber Harris at the University Administration Building for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic blonde reporterette as the feed switched to her. "Yes, the debate was very bitter, and sources tell me that threats of violence were exchanged and it very nearly became physical at one point. We are waiting for a Press Conference with Doctors Carmela, Camp, and Rivera, which should begin momentarily."

Bettina: "Amber, how are the students taking the news?"

Amber: "Bettina, student groups have been peacefully protesting, and calling for Dr. Fredricson to resign or be fired. After the Ethics Board result was announced a few moments ago, the students began gathering in front of the Administration Building as well as the University President's Office building. They are remaining peaceful, but are chanting for Laura Fredricson to be 'canceled' if she refuses to bow to their will and resign. Oh... here's Dr. Carmela now"

The camera feed switched to the front of the room, where the professors had just appeared. Dr. Jan Camp approached the lectern and began speaking: "Thank you for coming. We are... more than disappointed at what transpired today. The sheer corruption of some of the Board Members as well as this University's President was just... breathtaking, stunning in its sheer magnitude. Let me introduce Dr. Juanita Rivera for a statement on that."

"Thank you, Dr. Camp." said Juanita Rivera, her voice sounding distraught. "First of all, Todd Burke is the nephew of Dr. Laura Fredricson's husband and the husband of her husband's closest Police colleague, but he refused to recuse himself. Also, Dr Stephanie 
Steele, whose daughter and Dr. Fredricson's daughter are classmates and close friends, refused to recuse herself."

"Let me emphasize that." said Jan Camp, coming up to the podium. "Dr. Steele and Dr. Fredricson are close friends. Their husbands are close associates and cronies of the illegitimate Mayor on the Town Council and the Police Force. And their daughters are classmates at Eastside Elementary School... that's Eastside Elementary School... and play together as best friends."

Dr. Rivera resumed the lectern. "But worse than that, Commander Donald Troy was in the room during the hearing, though he should not have been. He and an FBI Agent were t threatening and intimidating Dr. Carmela, me, and the other Ethics Board members who only want to expose the truth and get rid of the corrupt Laura Fredricson. We could not present evidence that incontrovertibly showed Fredricson's guilt because of Troy's presence and intimidation."

Rivera began breaking down as she yelled: "Donald Troy is nothing but a racist cop, a racist PIG! God DAMN Donald Troy! God DAMN him!" Jan Camp hugged her as she broke down sobbing, the Press cameras zooming in on them."

Lionel Carmela used the opportunity to step up to the lectern and say "As decadent a stain on the University as Laura Fredricson and Stephanie Steele are, and as racist and abusive as Police Officer Donald Troy is, they pale in comparison to the sheer sleaze and corruption of Sidney P. Wellman. His actions in the hearing and the following debate were shocking in their total lack of integrity."

Carmela: "But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Sidney P. Wellman's corruption is a stain upon this University, and it goes back years. I ask you, the Press, to go to work and find and prove the corrupt connections between Sidney P. Wellman and the crony capitalist Henry R. Wargrave. I ask you, the Press, to do the job that only you can do with your First Amendment protections of a Free Press."

"Dr. Carmela!" yelled a voice. "Priya Ajmani, Fox Eight News! Were you also asked to recuse yourself, and did you recuse yourself?"

"Of course not." said Carmela. "There's no reason for me to recuse myself, unlike Fredricson's relatives and cronies..."

Part 22 - Musical Bedrooms

Friday, October 23rd. We were having a 'celebration' dinner at The Cabin, where we would be staying overnight and over the weekend. Edward and Stephanie Steele had brought Selena and Marie, Todd and Teresa brought their boys, Cindy and Callie brought Betsy, Paulina brought Tasha, Molly was there with her boys, of course, and the Sheriff brought a bottle of Blanton's whiskey.

All the kids were in the attic playroom, being supervised by the redoubtable Bowser and Buddy. We adults were sitting around the dinner table, discussing the Ethics Board proceedings."

"The first thing said was Jan Camp demanding I recuse myself." said Todd. "I asked if she would also demand Carmela recuse himself, and he said he had no reason to, that he was impartial and honest, unlike me as a relative. I refused to recuse myself, and President Wellman supported me and Stephanie remaining. Then Carmela said to Wellman 'You should think about your future.', a clear threat, and Wellman just said 'As should you'. "

"That wasn't the worst of it, though." Stephanie Steele said. "I started really pressing them to bring their proof that Laura did what they said she did. Carmela said the allegations were enough, and I said they were enough to get him sued for slander, but not enough to act against Laura."

Stephanie: "Carmela actually got up, came around the table and up to me, and was hovering over me and threatening me, saying 'If you know what's good for you and your family...', and then Todd stood up and confronted him."

"My God!" Selena Steele gasped. "He literally stood there and threatened you? What did the others say?"

Stephanie said "Todd said that if Carmela so much as touched me, then he, Todd, would break every bone in Carmela's body. Carmela said 'Are you threatening me?' and Todd said 'No. You're threatening her, and I'm just letting you know what will happen to you if you so much as touch her.'. Todd was my hero." She patted Todd on the shoulder.

"He must be married to the most decorated Officer on the Town & County Police Force." I said.

"And the nephew of the most highly decorated Officer on the Town & County Police Force." Teresa immediately replied.

What a frickin' hypocrite." spat Molly. "He threatens you, then says Todd is threatening him."

"And he says he's fair and balanced," I replied, "but says Todd and Stephanie can't be. And so on and so forth. Socialists like him are indeed hypocrites, but worse, they think they can do what we can't, and they can get away with it while we can't."

"Strong letter to follow." said Teresa, her way of 'subtly' warning me not to go all political on everyone.

"I think that's when everything turned." said Stephanie. "There were some that were genuinely undecided, and some that were scared of Carmela. But when Carmela got ugly with me, they started realizing he was a bully, trying to get what he wanted through intimidation. And when Todd stood up to him, I could feel the energy in the room changing completely."

Laura said "That's what Dr. Chase said, too, when I talked to him this afternoon. He and Mike Todd were both surprised that the whole thing wasn't postponed until either my lawsuit against Carmela was heard, or Tamara was found and could give her testimony."

"And no one asked me to give a statement or testify, either." said Callie. "I thought they might, just to force me to say that Laura had seen those women and those men as patients. But... nothing."

"They must've assumed anything you would've said would've just helped Laura." I said. "As to why they didn't postpone it, that is what had me thinking they'd produce Tamara as a surprise witness."

"If they had, we were ready for it." Laura said. "Melina was going to arrest her on behalf of Clark Webster and the Missing Persons Bureau, and asked Tamara to explain her disappearance. Not that they could've held her or anything, nor made her confess anything, but it would've been awk-wrrrrd for Carmela."

"And if she was the one that gave Carmela the information from Laura's files," Cindy said, "she'd have to explain that to the Feds. Anyhoo, as Don says, my guess is that they couldn't wait. They had to try now, before the Elections, while political tensions are high and other things are going on."

I said "Give that woman a green crowbar! Oh. Wait." Everyone chuckled, then I said "I think you're right. Timing was an issue for them."

Teresa said "Moving the subject along... what disturbed me was how Jan Camp repeatedly mentioned Carole and Marie at the Press Conference. It sure sounded like an implied threat to me." It got quiet in the room.

"Don," Laura said, "do you think the kids are in danger? Do you think they'll attack us in our homes?"

"Not here." I said. "This place is a fortress. Even the FBI couldn't destroy it from the inside." (Author's note: 'No Way Out'.) "And, of course, if they come here, Bowser will take care of our lightwork for us."

I continued: "Having said that, and getting serious... yes, I'm expecting things to get much, much worse before they get any better. Carmela is already ginning up student mobs to achieve with violence what he could not achieve with false accusations and blackmail...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After dinner, Todd went upstairs to rile up the kids into exhaustion so they'd fall asleep, and he would succeed admirably... at least in getting them riled up. In the meantime, Edward Steele, Sheriff Griswold, Teresa, and myself sat on the back deck. It was starting to be too chilly to sit outside, so we had the fire pot going, warming us on the outside, and with shots of the Sheriff's bourbons warming us on the insides.

Edward Steele said "What I need to know, is if the State Legislature will be able to pass a budget. We on the Council, on both sides of the table, are worried about what will happen if the State dollars don't come in to support our expenditures. And if there's a shortfall, the Assembly Democrats will want to take it out of one place, and one place only: the Police budget."

"If the Elections turn out the way I think they will," I said, "then I think the Legislature will ultimately pass a State Budget, even if it's the equivalent of a 'continuing resolution' that Congress keeps passing."

"And how do you think those elections will turn out?" asked Edward.

"I'll defer to Our Sheriff on that." I said.

"Har!" barked the Sheriff. He sipped some bourbon, then said "From the polling I've seen and some of my conversations with Val Jared, it looks like Sharon Marshall will be the next Governor, Corey Coons will be the next Lieutenant Governor, and Gil Krasney will be the next State Attorney General. We also will need a new SBI Director, as Curly Goodwin is going to mop the floor with that pedophile Finneran in our I.G. race."

Our Sheriff: "What bothers me, though, and really could throw a sabot into the gears, is this business of the City mass-mailing ballots, allowing unverified absentee ballots, and dropboxes anywhere and everywhere for those mail-in ballots. The fraud from those and from the City alone could change the entire election. It's a bit late in the game for Southport and Midtown and the other big cities to do that, but it could be a precedent for Elections going forward."

Griswold: "And if the Democrats take control of both Houses of the Legislature, and Hoyt Stenson somehow wins the Governor's office? They already have a bill drawn up that will codify that cheating. They call it the 'For the People Act'. That would effectively destroy fair and honest elections forever."

"What about local elections, sir?" asked Teresa.

Griswold: "We should have a good night... if there is no fraud. But I'm really worried about that, about fraud. There will be poll watchers, and observers at the Election Headquarters where they're counting the votes, but I wouldn't put it past that shit eater Nance to pull some kind of stunt to neutralize that and allow the fraud to take place."

"Don?" Teresa asked.

"All I'm going to say," I said, "is that we are going to have an honest and fair election in this County."

"Uh oh." said the Sheriff. "What are you planning, Crowbar?"

"I've said all I'm going to say, Sheriff." I replied. "Here, have some more bourbon... it'll help you sleep..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had some 'splainin' to do to the Sheriff.

"Molly and the boys are living here full-time." I said. "The big bedroom down in the basement is pretty small, and not all that great. So Molly is taking the second bedroom upstairs as her own."

"Can't blame her for that." growled Griswold. "She gets her own bathroom, too."

The upstairs bathroom, which was over the far garage that housed the Black Beauty, had a lavatory with a double vanity. To the right of that room was a small room with a toilet, which was on the other side of the wall at the end of the hall. The entrance from the hall was through a little alcove and right-turn into the vanity room. On the left side of the vanity was a room with a toilet and a shower, and a door on that side of the vanity went straight to the bedroom.

I said "Jim is sleeping with Ross and Ian in the downstairs game room, on the air mattresses. They're boys, they love that stuff. The girls will take the room that you don't."

"Har." barked Griswold. "I'm just an old boy. I'll sleep in the big bedroom downstairs..."