Consequences Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your Honor," said Paulina, "I have no more questions at this time, but I would like to have this witness be subject to recall."

"Objection!" cried the Union lawyer. "The Prosecution should finish her cross at this time. There's no reason to wait----"

"Approach, Your Honor?" Paulina said.

"Bailiff, escort the Jury out for a short recess." said Judge Watts. "I'll see both sides in Chambers.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Your Honor," said Paulina, "the Defense can't have it both ways. They've insisted I wait until tomorrow to re-question Commander Croyle, but say I have to finish with Hendricks today... and it's the same subject matter I want to question both of them about! If the Defense insists I finish with Hendricks now, then I should be allowed to re-question Commander Croyle today as well; otherwise, I should be allowed to recall Hendricks tomorrow."

Judge Watts looked over at the Defense lawyers. "She's right, you know. So which way do you want it? Both today, or both tomorrow?"

"Your Honor," said the Union lawyer, "we're already planning any appeal around allowing that Police report on such short notice and no discovery. I believe we're well within our rights to insist upon---"

"Your Honor," interrupted Gwen Munson. "May I have a moment to confer with my co-Counsel?"

"Get your ducks in a row, Counselor." said Judge Watts, his voice tinged with exasperation, but also tiredness.

After some whispering, Munson came back and said "Tomorrow for both, Your Honor..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

Sheriff Griswold went out of the Courtroom and to the Witness Room. Though the Deputies at the door probably should not have allowed him in, they wisely did not obstruct their boss's progress. The Sheriff did not go inside, but just opened the door and looked in.

Teresa was playing Solitaire with a real deck of real cards (and not all of them Jokers), and looked up at the Sheriff when he poked his head in the door. She looked up at the light and also pointed at the corner of the table, and said simply "Confirmed."

The Sheriff nodded, then (after going to the potty) came back in and sat down next to me. "Teresa said 'confirmed'." he reported. I just nodded, knowing that meant that Teresa had found that the Witness Room was bugged.

"What do you want to do about it?" asked the Sheriff.

"We can't do anything in front of anyone." I said. "It would generate a mistrial."

"We'll have to get the bugs out later, then." said the Sheriff.

"Yes, but in a way nobody finds out." I replied. "Do you have any idea how many appeals of how many cases could be generated if the knowledge gets out?" The Sheriff nodded, and I said "Either the bad guys will go back in and get them, or we can come get them in the dead of night or something..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Before the Jury was brought back in, the Union lawyer stood and said "Your Honor, the Defense asks for a directed verdict of acquittal. The Prosecution has not proved their case."

"The case is not over, and won't be until tomorrow." replied Judge Watts. "Renew your objection at the proper time."

After the Jury was brought in, Judge Watts said "Call your next witness."

"Your Honor, subject to tomorrow's testimony, the Defense rests." said the lawyer. The Judge ended the session for the day.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:50pm, Wednesday, June 17th. I drove Teresa and the Sheriff back to Police Headquarters. Teresa went to her office to call her Precinct Captains, and the Sheriff and I met with Cindy and Chief Moynahan in the Chief's Conference Room.

"So Hendricks lied like a dog in the shade." said Cindy, after I told them of the day's testimony. "Can we go after him for perjury?"

Sheriff Griswold growled "He was well coached. He said everything in a way that can be said to just be his opinion. He never definitively said anything that was factually wrong."

"Everyone else's testimony contradicts his." Cindy said.

"So what?" said the Sheriff. "How can we prove he didn't hear McCombs use the n-word, even though McCombs screamed it twice? We really can't. And Hendricks said that it was his opinion that Crowbar here was the aggressor in the altercation with McCombs, though everyone else saw it differently. And he openly said he intended to shoot Commander Troy, but it was defending McCombs."

"Soooo," drawled the Chief, "it allll boils down toooo a 'he said, he said, she said' situ-a-tionnnnn."

*KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK1*

The door opened to reveal Teresa Croyle. "Ladies, gentlemen," she said, "I've just gotten a briefing from the Precincts. They're both reporting groups of people massing, especially on the Southside. And demonstrations around the Courthouse over the trial. Nothing large or serious... yet..."

Part 10 - Storm Clouds Gathering

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, June 18th, from a restricted-access parking lot near the Courthouse complex. "The McCombs trial continues to be a disaster for the Prosecution!"

Bettina began: "The testimony of Officer Justin Hendricks was devastating to the Prosecution's case against Sergeant McCombs, as Officer Hendricks refuted the allegations of Commander Donald Troy, testifying that it was Commander Troy who was the aggressor and caused Sergeant McCombs's gun to fire, almost killing an unarmed black man and his tender-aged son."

Bettina: "Additionally, the testimony of Police Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle was unconvincing, and the Defense poked holes in her story as she attempted to cover up for Commander Troy. Lieutenant Commander Croyle and Officer Hendricks are expected to be recalled to the stand for follow-up testimony, and the case could be in the Jury's hands by this afternoon. And now let's go to trusted reporter Lester Holder for more on planned activities for 'Juneteenth'. Lester!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Penis Holder as the feed switched to him. He was on the grounds of the Civic Center, with City Hall behind him. A good number of young blacks were behind him, all wearing red or black shirts with slogans upon them.

Holder: "The Black Community is planning peaceful marches through the major streets of the Town & County, as well as here on Courthouse Square, to observe the 'Juneteenth' anniversary. The marches are to bring more attention to continuing white Police brutality against People of Color."

Bettina came on via a split-screen, and asked "Lester, are there any plans to peacefully march in protest of an acquittal or even a hung jury in the trial of white Police Officer McCombs?"

Holder: "Uhh... I'm not aware of any actual plans, but the Black Community is closely monitoring the trial. The US DOJ Civil Rights Division is also monitoring the trial, and anything less then a conviction could lead to action by the Federal Government against the TCPD..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hmmm, were Bettina and Holder out of sync on that?" Captain Tanya P. Muscone asked as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "He seemed to be startled by her question about protests of the trial's outcome."

"Yezzz, that was... interesting." said Chief Moynahan.

"Bettina get ahead of her skis?" Commander Cindy Ross asked. "Or was Penis Holder ambushed by the question?"

"Tell us what that means, Crowbar." said the Sheriff, his mustaches twitching with amusement.

I replied "My first impression was that he wasn't expecting that question. But as I think about it now, I would say that Bettina wants people to be watching for the possibility... it stresses the Police Force and creates drama... while Holder knows there are plans to riot over the verdict, and didn't want to talk about them nor warn anyone in advance. I will add that the Agitators are going to riot no matter what the verdict is."

"Even a 'guilty' verdict?" asked the Chief, his voice connoting stunned disbelief.

"Yes sir." I said. "A conviction will be taken a proof that a white Police Officer tried to kill an unarmed black man, requiring violent protests in response to that white Officer's actions. Remember that many blacks don't consider the American Justice System to be fair nor good, so they won't see a conviction as 'sufficient' punishment. And, of course, they want and need the attention that only violence can bring."

"Does Commander Croyle know this?" asked the Chief. "Are we pre-pairrrrred for this?"

"I've talked about it with her." I said. "And we're as prepared as we can be..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oyez, oyez, oyez.:" said the Bailiff at 9:00am sharp. "Court is now in session, the Honorable Rodney K. Watts presiding." Everyone rose to their feet as Judge Watts came in and took his seat.

"Be seated, please." he said. "Anything before I bring in the Jury?"

"Yes, Your Honor." said Gwen Munson. "We renew our objection, and request that Lester Holder's testimony be stricken from the record in its entirety and the Jury instructed. We also renew our objection of the Police report submitted yesterday being entered into the record. It was not given to us in a timely manner, and it's irrelevant to this trial."

"I've already ruled on both of those objections," growled Watts, "and nothing has changed. Prosecution, you are up."

"Thank you, Your Honor." ADA Paulina Patterson said. "The People recall Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle."

Teresa was brought in and went to the witness chair. Judge Watts said "I remind you that you are still under oath, Commander."

"Yes, Your Honor." Teresa acknowledged.

Paulina led Teresa through the Bryce incident, then asked "During that altercation, it was Officer Hendricks that was backing up Patrolman Bryce when Bryce assaulted you and the tender-aged child?"

"Yes ma'am." said Teresa, working hard to not get emotional at her memories of that Christmas Eve night.. .the night she found Amy and Buddy.

"So Officer Hendricks has a history of supporting Police Officers that get in trouble, do the wrong things, assault innocent persons?"

"Objection!" started Gwen Munson.

"I withdraw the question." said Paulina. "Your witness."

"Commander Croyle," Gwen Munson said, her voice sounding sweet but with an underlying tone of viciousness, "that night was the night you found Amy Croyle, was it not?"

"Objection. Relevance." said Paulina.

"Overruled." said Judge Watts, giving both sides wide latitude with this situation.

"Yes, it was." said Teresa.

"And she died only a month later?"

"Objection!" Paulina yelled. "Your Honor, there is no relevance in this! Defense counsel is badgering the Witness and deliberately attempting to inflict emotional pain!"

"I will show the relevance within the next two questions, Your Honor." replied Gwen Munson.

"You'd better." said Judge Watts. "Continue."

"Yes, she died a few weeks later." said Teresa, channeling her pain into smoldering anger and hatred for Gwen Munson.

"And Christmas Eve was the day your sister Alexis died, is that not right?" Gwen asked.

"Yes." Teresa said.

"So that was an emotional time for you, wasn't it?" Gwen said. "You were angry, bitter, at your sister's death. And when you had the chance to retaliate against Officer Hendricks, by physically assaulting him as he attempted to protect Sergeant McCombs, who was also being assaulted, you took it, didn't you?"

Paulina was about to get up, but Teresa said to her "It's okay." To Munson and the Jury, she said "I was not thinking of that at all. I was busy trying to prevent Officer Hendricks from attempting to murder Commander Troy, which I did. And Sergeant McCombs was not being assaulted, he was the aggressor----"

"That's enough." Gwen Munson said. "No more questions for this witness, Your Honor."

Paulina did not have any re-direct questions, so Judge Watts said she could step down and was released from being an on-call Witness. Teresa came over and sat down beside me on the first row behind the Prosecution. Somewhat to my surprise, I sensed no wave of emotion in Teresa.

"The People recall Justin Hendricks to the stand." Paulina said. Hendricks ambled in from the back doors, his uniform looking only slightly better than the day before. He was reminded by the Judge that he was still under oath.

"Your Honor," said Paulina, "I'd like to read Officer Hendricks's Police record into evidence."

"Objection." said Gwen Munson.

"Overruled." Judge Watts said simply.

Paulina read Hendricks's record. The awards record did not take much time; there was little to report. The suspensions and I.A. investigations were also read into the record, and there were plenty of them.

Paulina then led Hendricks through the Bryce incident. "Why were you even there, Officer Hendricks?"

"I was backing up Patrolman Bryce." said Hendricks.

"And you were backing up Sergeant McCombs during this more recent incident." said Paulina.

"Yes."

"Patrolman Bryce resigned rather than face criminal charges in that prior incident." said Paulina. "And now Sergeant McCombs is the defendant in this trial. Why is it, Officer Hendricks, that your name consistently appears backing up the Officers getting into serious trouble?"

"Objection!" yelled Gwen Munson.

"I withdraw the question." said Paulina Patterson. "No more questions for this witness."

"Defense?" queried the Judge.

"No more questions, Your Honor." said Munson...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After closing statements, the Jury was sent to lunch while the Judge's instructions to the Jury were haggled out. I was later told by Paulina that Gwen Munson barely participated in that, that she only continued to try to have Lester Holder's testimony struck from the record, which seemed to be the bee in her bonnet. The Union lawyer worked most fervently to make sure any negative things about me would be allowed to be considered.

After lunch, the Judge took over an hour to charge the Jury, stressing the importance of coming to a unanimous verdict. They left the Courtroom to begin deliberations. Judge Watts thanked both sides for a speedy and efficient trial, some reporters left to file their stories, and everyone settled down to wait...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"How are you guys feeling about it?" Sheriff Griswold asked as he, Teresa, and I sat down in the 'Command Room' of the Cop Bar for lunch. I looked at Teresa to go first.

"I didn't see as much of it as you did." Teresa said. "I don't understand why Munson brought up my past. I don't see the relevance, and I realized while I was on the stand that it only made me the sympathetic figure in all that, which calmed me down considerably."

"True, about it making you the 'good guy' in all of that." I said. "I think Munson did that just to cause you pain. She is truly an evil bitch." Teresa and the Sheriff nodded.

Then I said "As to the trial, I'm not sure. Paulina spent a lot of time... a lahhhht of time... trying to discredit Hendricks, more than I thought was necessary. And I'm not sure how well she proved the case. I don't think we're going to get a conviction on the attempted murder charge. Aggravated assault, maybe. What did you think, Sheriff?"

Griswold growled "After you mentioned how the Jury didn't seem interested, I started paying more attention to them. And you're right about some of them. But I also noticed that some were interested when Teresa was on the stand, and others were interested when Hendricks on the stand. That suggests they were looking for confirmation of their already-formed opinions, as opposed as evaluating the information on the merits."

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

"Well, look who's here!" said a voice. It was FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone, accompanied by his wife, TCPD Captain Tanya Muscone. "May we join you?"

"Of course." said the Sheriff. "How are the happy newlyweds?"

"Happy, Sheriff." Tanya said with her cherubic grin, pulling up to the table next to the Sheriff, and giving and getting a hug from him.

"How's the trial going?" Jack asked.

"The Jury has it." I replied.

""Tanya told me what you think... that there's going to be riots no matter what." Jack said. "My sources are telling me similar things. KSB in the City has been focusing on the McCombs trial pretty heavily, and our offices there believe there will be 'Juneteenth' riots there as well as here. And Washington, D.C. has told all the field offices to expect violent protests nationwide."

*CHIME!*

It was Teresa's Police iPhone. She checked the text that had come in. "That was from Rudistan. Hardy in Vice got word from one of his C.I.s that Lester Holder was observed meeting with known Antifa leaders in the parking lot of Sharpton Elementary. The C.I. tailed Holder, and said that Holder drove to the Block House, which is west of Sharpton Elementary."

"Jacquez Wilson." I said. "That's not good. Most violent agitators don't go too far... they set fires, throw rocks, overturn cars: things the Media can record and show. But Wilson, he advocates serious violence, like killing people, especially Police Officers."

"Holder's got nerve, going into the Block House." growled Sheriff Griswold. "Those bastards will bend him over and rape him in the ass just as soon as they'd talk to him."

"He'd enjoy that." Teresa replied.

"It does ratchet things to a new level, though." I said. "Something's up." Before I realized it, I was going into a reverie.

"And there he goes." Tanya said with grin.

When I finally came out of it, Sheriff Griswold said "What got your attention on all that?"

I replied "You all know that they're always one step ahead of us. By the time we're seeing their next move, they're working on their move after that. These 'Juneteenth' protests... they've been planning them for weeks, if not months."

I continued: "So I'm wondering what Penis Holder is ginning up with Jacquez Wilson, and vice versa. I'm getting an idea that we may have stumbled onto what they're planning to do after the next set of riots..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we got back to the Courthouse from lunch, I said to Teresa and the Sheriff "Let's go through the back hallways." Those were restricted access areas, where the Judges's Chambers, Jury Rooms, and other offices were.

As we went by the Jury Room for the McCombs trial, the Bailiff outside the door stood up and whispered to us "I can't hear what they're saying, but voices are being raised already. That's one reason I'm stationed here; in case they come to blows."

At 4:30pm, a note was passed to me to join Judge Watts in his Chambers. I asked the Sheriff to come with me. When we went in, Judge Watts had us sit down.

"I just got a note from the Jury." said Watts. "They say they are deadlocked, and cannot come to a verdict. I'm going to have them come in, then tell them they'll be back tomorrow giving it a better effort. In the meantime, I just wanted to tell you to get ready for possible problems."

Minutes later, we were back in the Courtroom. The Jury Foreman, one of the older white men, said that the Jury was deadlocked. Judge Watts told them to try again, to work until 8:00pm, and if they weren't resolved by then, he'd have them back in the morning continuing to work on it...

Part 11 - The Verdict

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, June 19th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with the Courthouse complex in the distant background. "On this important day of 'Juneteenth', the fate of a Town & County Police Officer is in the hands of the Jury!"

Bettina began: "Both the Prosecution and Defense wrapped up their cases yesterday, and the Jury began their deliberations. Legal experts are predicting a swift acquittal of the Defendant, saying that ADA Paulina Patterson did not prove the more serious charges against Sergeant McCombs. The Police Union is so certain of anything but a conviction that they have already issued a demand that Sergeant McCombs be reinstated to the TCPD with his rank intact."