Consorting with Romance Ch. 02

Story Info
Ash and Jesse get to know one another. Is friendship enough?
5.8k words
4.86
5.2k
15

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/24/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a novella length romance story. There will be plenty of sex, but it won't appear in every chapter.

(warning: contains elements of prostitution)

Copyright 2019

Jesse quickly settled smoothly into my routine. He was prompt, attentive, and I found him to be both thoughtful and witty. Even though we interacted minimally, I enjoyed having him around on both a professional and personal level. Perhaps a month into his employment, when I came to collect my last client, he let me know they had gotten stuck at work and rescheduled. Without thinking I found myself asking, "I know you likely don't have spare time as you have studying to do, but you've been here about a month now, and I don't know much about you. Do you want to grab some dinner downstairs before we head out?"

The lowest floor of the building was a small café. He looked surprised and blushed a bit. At his pause I felt myself panicking. I shook my head a bit in embarrassment. "Never mind. I don't want you to feel pressured by your boss. It was a spur of the moment suggestion."

He quickly pulled himself together and shook his head as well. "I was just surprised. I'd actually really like that."

"Excellent, let me get dressed and we'll head out."

We settled in at a table and the waitress came over. "Hey gorgeous, who is this also gorgeous thing you've brought?" she asked. I was a regular here, and she was my regular waitress.

"This is Jesse. My new assistant." I replied.

She offered her hand and introduced herself. "Cherie. It's certainly is a pleasure to meet you."

Jesse blushed deeply.

She turned back to me and continued without pause. "For a split second I thought the world had ended, I was going to win my bet with the staff, and you were actually here with a date."

I didn't date. No one wanted to date a guy who fucked people for a living, but somehow having that pointed out to Jesse made me uncomfortable. I attempted a semi pained smile. "Eh, you know me Cherie. Not gonna happen."

She clucked at me. "I know I know...but it's a shame." Over the years she'd taken a profound personal interest in my lack of love life. "You want coffee lovelies?" She continued, apparently unaware of my annoyance.

"Yes please." We answered in unison as she sat a menu in front of Jesse. She went to get coffee as he looked at the menu, noticed I didn't have one and raised an eyebrow at me.

"I'm here a lot." I chuckled.

We ordered and settled into conversation. When I asked about his family, he lit up and rambled for quite some time.

"Well, my grandparents started a small farm not long after the rebuilding. They had 4 kids, each of whom had kids as well. My dad was the only one that decided to stay on the farm. He married mom when they were in their 20s, had 3 of us, and everyone except me has chosen to stay as well. It's a good-sized operation now with my grandparents, parents, brother and sister. My brother has a partner but no kids, and my sister is married with her second on the way."

I was shocked. Marriage was an old-fashioned tradition that very few people engaged in these days. After the war there were so many lost that it was encouraged to have children with more than one partner to re-diversify the gene pool. It eventually became common practice that serious relationships typically lasted about 5-7 years. Long enough for whichever partner wanted children to make it past the toddler stage as a couple and become stable on their own.

"Most of your family is married?" I asked incredulously.

He laughed. "I know I know, it's a bit weird. But it's how I was raised, so it seems normal to me."

"So, when you meet someone, you just...assume it's...forever?" It was an odd concept, but I found myself wondering what that would be like; to have someone forever. I ended up lost in my thoughts and the next thing I knew Jesse looked a bit concerned as he asked (apparently for the third time),

"Ash...you ok?'"

I snapped back to reality. "Ya, sorry. I was just sort of...thinking about that."

An odd expression crossed his face momentarily, but he quickly redirected the conversation. "Tell me about your family."

I felt my brow furrow before I could stop it. What would this guy with a giant happy family think of my history? Yet, before I could stop myself, it all just fell out. I hadn't intended to be so open with him. I never spoke about my personal life.

"I never knew any grandparents. My parents took a more common approach. Dad wanted kids and mom agreed. They had two of us a couple years apart and I have a younger sister, Abbie. After 8 years, mom left and dad raised us until he died when I was 18. Abbie was 15 and I didn't want her to become a ward of the state, so I took custody of her. I didn't have much education and couldn't find much work. So," I sighed at the admission. "I took my first client illegally. I worked that way for a couple of years before recognizing I enjoyed it and was good enough to make a career of it. I started working on any of the guild requirements I could complete from a distance. Three weeks before her 18th birthday, Abbie found out what I'd been doing and that I planned to continue, didn't care for it, and took off. I spent months looking for her, but there wasn't a trace. Eventually I gave up and left to do the year of on site training the guild requires."

His eyes had changed as I talked. They were paler; almost golden, and his gaze was soft. Deep behind those eyes, there was something I couldn't quite place. Maybe kindness, or sadness; some part of me felt it was pity. I couldn't bear to meet them any longer and I found myself looking down and picking at my food. I wasn't this person. I don't know what he did to me. I was ok with my past, and confident in myself and the life I'd built. I continued anyway. "Once I had a bit of money, I hired someone to try and find her."

I paused and found I didn't want to speak about how that had gone even to him. I glanced up briefly, still avoiding his gaze and smiled as best I could. "I keep tabs on her, and I know she's ok. I send a birthday gift every year. It's always returned unopened, but at least she knows I'm alive I guess, and maybe if she ever needs anything she'll know where to find me."

I shrugged softly and put on a brighter affect as I shifted the topic. "Anyway, I've been in the city for 15 years, bought a little house a couple years ago, business is good, and life is simple." I forced myself to catch his gaze. His fingers slid across the table and just for a moment, the tips of them brushed my forearm so lightly that perhaps he hadn't really touched me. My heart raced. That had never happened to me before. What was it I felt for him?

He shook his head and started talking. "Ash...I don't...I mean.."

I pulled my arm away, smiled and shook my head, cutting him off. "Seriously Jess, I'm happy with my life." Whatever he was feeling toward me; it hurt. "Just giving you the same background you gave me." I tried to smile a bit more sincerely.

As he nodded and offered a sweet smile, I fought hard to return it. I was lonely. I hadn't felt lonely since Abbie left 20 years ago. Cherie chose that moment to come over.

"Anything else boys?" She asked in her perpetually happy tone.

We both looked up at her and said almost spoke in unison again. "No thanks."

She nodded as I continued. "On my account please."

"You got it love." She said as she patted my shoulder and walked away.

Jesse he began to argue. "You didn't have to..." I held up my hand and cut him off. "Business expense."

He furrowed his brow but allowed it. We picked up our coats and headed out. I smiled at him as normally as I could. "See you Tuesday Jess."

He returned the smile. "Tuesday."

Something had changed between us, and I wasn't sure it was a good thing. I didn't want his pity. I sighed to myself as I made my way to the train station.

On Tuesday he was at work before me as usual and seemed his normal self. I was beyond relieved that whatever had happened appeared to be over and we could go back to our professional but friendly relationship. Still, I wasn't sure what things would be like outside of routine business interactions, so I took my time in the shower at the end of the day. His schedule was demanding and when I lingered, he was typically gone before I emerged. I was surprised and a bit nervous to see him sitting in one of the wingbacks waiting for me. I raised an eyebrow as he stood. He stammered at first, as I'd found he often did when he first started speaking about something serious.

"I ...ummm...so..." I smiled a bit deeper at him as I sat on the edge of the couch and waited. He paused for a moment, calmed down, and found what he was trying to say. Seeing him, such a large, strong man, in this state was completely endearing.

"I had a real nice time Saturday night. I haven't had much personal time to make friends since I got to the city, and I was wondering if maybe you'd like to make it a regular thing. You're a nice guy, and boss or not, I think you'd make a good friend." I was deeply touched, and I felt those fucking butterflies make an appearance again. I don't think I'd ever had someone say something like that to me.

"I really like that." My broad smile was completely genuine.

He grinned, nodded, and made for the door. "See you tomorrow Ash."

After it closed behind him, I sank down on the back of the couch and tried to convince myself he had no more effect on me than any other man.

Through an unspoken agreement, we kept conversation at our new weekly dinners light. I found I greatly enjoyed his company and sense of humor, and it felt as though he enjoyed mine as well.

A couple of months later, as we sat in the middle of dinner, his suddenly serious gaze met mine.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asked hesitantly.

I laughed as I responded. "Whatever you'd like."

"Do you like what you do?" He looked a bit concerned that I might be offended.

"Actually, I really do. I've always been a pretty sexual person. I enjoy the act, and I like that I'm sort of offering a service people appreciate. The money's not bad at this point either. I figure about another 6-8 years I'll have enough to retire."

He looked shocked. "Seriously?"

I nodded.

"You'll be what...like 40?!" I laughed loudly enough that several other diners turned to look in our direction.

"Thank you, but no. I'm 39 now. I'll be edging in on 50 when I can manage it."

He narrowed his gaze and I felt a wave of warmth wash over me as his eyes raked slowly down my body, looking closer than perhaps he had before. "You're 39?"

I nodded again.

"Lord!" He laughed. "You are doing something right. I'll have to start eating whatever you do." He eyed my plate doubtfully. "As awful as it looks."

I laughed again and flipped a pea at him. He threw his head back and laughed as well. I'd only seen him do that a handful of times. It was a deep, warm sound that resonated inside of me and I shivered as gooseflesh raised across my arms. I hoped he hadn't noticed.

"Can I ask you another question?" He asked.

I nodded yet again.

"The first time we came here, Cherie implied the world would end the day you bring in a date."

I was uncomfortable.

"You don't date, or you don't bring them here?"

"I don't date." I said without elaboration.

He looked confused. "Like...ever?" His golden eyes narrowed as he watched me closely.

"I had a boyfriend once, when I was like 17. But no, these days I don't date."

He looked thoughtful for a long time. "Why not?" He asked softly.

I chuckled awkwardly and attempted to change the subject. "You're just full of questions tonight, aren't you?"

He blushed and dropped his eyes for a moment. "Sorry." He mumbled.

His gaze caught mine, and I felt an ache in the pit of my stomach I'd never felt before.

"Because who'd want to date me?" I found myself whispering.

I fought to keep my voice from cracking. Being alone had never bothered me. I enjoy my own company, and that of books. For 20 years now, it hadn't bothered me. Why did I almost choke up? My response to just about everything involving him confused the hell out of me. It felt like those honey eyes pierced my soul when I finally allowed myself to catch his gaze.

"You can't be serious?" He asked.

I felt my face soften as I fought to keep my smile light and respond gently. He clearly saw me as his friend, and he hadn't fully contemplated the situation.

"Jess, who wants to come home to a man that fucked 4 other people that day?"

I watched as realization slid into those beautiful pools of amber.

"Ya, I guess not most people." He said quietly.

I let my eyes soften even further as his caught mine once more. "Not any people Jess."

He was quiet for a long moment. "Aren't you lonely?" He asked quietly.

I ached. I was desperately lonely; I just hadn't realized it until now. I hid it. I didn't want any more of his pity.

"I've always been sort of a loner. I like reading and gardening and art. I have plenty of sex" I laughed a bit at that. "And, now I have you as a friend." Fuck, why did I let that slip out. "How could I be lonely?"

He looked unconvinced but smiled gently and nodded. A moment later he changed the subject to something lighter and that was the end of that. I was somehow both grateful he'd accepted that as the full truth, and desperately saddened I hadn't been truly honest with him. What was happening to me?

Six weeks later I found him waiting for me unexpectedly on a day we weren't scheduled to have dinner. I walked out as I was pulling my hair back and raised an eyebrow at him in question. Over the course of the last few months we'd learned to communicate pretty well with simple gestures like that. He smiled and began one of his awkward stammers at which I found myself grinning broadly. Fuck it was adorable when he did that. Fuck! Yet again I'd thought of him using a word like adorable. I had finally admitted to myself that I had feelings for him, and I was trying my best to berate myself whenever I noticed I responded in an emotional way. In reality, I'd never really had a close friend, so I was desperately trying to convince myself that what I felt could simply be a part of our friendship.

"So...I was thinking...I looked at..."

I just grinned broader and waited.

After a moment, he continued smoothly. "I noticed you don't have any clients on Wednesday because of the holiday. Do you have plans?"

Every year there was an annual world holiday celebrating the ending of the third war and the rebuilding of a unified society. From what I understood of historical holidays, it was sort of like American Thanksgiving. Families and friends got together, cooked large meals, played games, and socialized. I cringed internally. It was a time to be with family. Why would he ask me that, he knew I didn't have any family.

I smiled anyway in an attempt to keep things light. "Na, my first few years in the city I worked that day, but those encounters were always just people who were desperate not to be alone and it was depressing. Total boner killer. Not good in my line of work." I wiggled an eyebrow suggestively and he laughed. He now found my sexual jokes amusing rather than embarrassing, which I was thankful for, as I made them often. I continued. "Now I just sort of take the day to read or sit in the sun."

He nodded and looked pleased with my answer. "My only other friend in the city, my roommate Bethany, is going to be out of town and I can't afford to go home this year, so ..."

I cut him off with a frown. That wasn't ok. "Jess, no. You should be with family. I'd be happy to front you the money."

He chuckled a bit and glared. "You wanna cut me off some more?"

I hung my head, sufficiently reprimanded.

He cleared his throat and continued in an affronted tone. "As I was saying,"

I wanted to kiss him. Seriously, what had he done to me?

"The dorms are tiny, but I'm an acceptable cook. I was wondering if you wanted to come spend the day with me?"

I felt my breath catch and my heart race. Fuck I was hung up on him. I had never felt like this before. What was I supposed to do with these emotions?

"My place is only a 30-minute train ride away. It's not big, but probably bigger than a dorm, and there's a nice yard. A farm boy like you has to miss that living in the city. Why don't we each cook half, and you spend the day at my place." I replied quickly before I could talk myself out of it.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone look happier. I was completed hooked. He could have bent me over right there on the sofa and I'd have simply melted and moaned his name. The way those golden eyes glowed when he smiled was all I could think about as he left.

Everything was finished except the rolls that were proofing on the counter around 1:30. I was cutting limes to make limeade when there was a knock on the door. I glanced at the clock and caught myself grinning as butterflies ran wild in my stomach. Guess he couldn't live without seeing me earlier than we'd planned. I groaned audibly at myself for the thought as I wiped my hands on a towel and made for the door.

He stood there looking like I'd just mail ordered the perfect man, dressed in casual linen pants and a simple grey tshirt, similar to my attire. He was holding a massively heavy bag. I grinned and stepped back, gesturing him in. The front door opened into a small dining area with the kitchen to the left. Straight ahead was a sliding glass door to the back yard. Slightly to the right of the doors, at the tables edge, was a ¾ wall that separated the kitchen from a small living room in which I had an entertainment screen I rarely used, a plush sofa long enough to lie down on, and a reading area with a small table and two wing backs. Another ¾ wall separated that from the bedroom. It was small, nothing like the office bedroom. But the bed was fluffy and comfortable. At work I needed thrusting support, but here I just liked to float on a cloud. An end table sat on either side of the bed, and a small wardrobe was at the foot. Another ¾ wall, this one with drapes to complete the separation, led to the bathroom. I'd splurged a bit and had a large jetted soaking tub as well as a slate shower similar to the one at the office installed. What can I say, I'm a water bug and there is no water nearby. The whole place was decorated in sand, deep greens, and whites. It's vibe was somehow both beachy and foresty. I'd chosen everything deliberately so that it felt warm, comfortable, and homey. I led him through the kitchen and opened the fridge for him. I'd cleared an empty shelf earlier, and he easily slipped the entire bag in.

"I'm a bit behind on the rolls, they have a half hour before they can go in to cook." Was the only think I could think to say as I got lost in his light and happy smile.

He grinned. "You in a hurry?"

"Not at all." God I was enamored with him.

As he looked around the room, he caught sight of the limeade. His shocked gaze shifted to mine. "Holy shit, it's just the two of us, why would you spend money like that on limes?"

I laughed a bit. Limes weren't grown locally, and it was insanely expensive to import food from other settlements. I said nothing, handed him a glass, and gestured with my head for him to follow me. He took one step into the back yard and froze in his tracks.

I'd worked hard on the yard to create a bit of a sanctuary, and today during mid summer, it was glorious. I had planted large thin shade trees around the entire perimeter so that it was secluded. You couldn't see the city, nor tell I had neighbors either by sight or sound. Along the center of the back perimeter were 5 additional trees. An apple, pear, lemon, lime, and cherry. The far-right corner was filled with both decorative flowers and vegetables. The far-left corner was full of overgrown blackberry and raspberry bushes. Under them was a patch that looked simply like greenery but was in fact, strawberries. Neither the citrus trees nor the strawberries were grown anywhere near this settlement. He set his glass down on the table right outside the door and started walking toward the plants. He looked back at me, stunned, and kept walking. I followed a bit behind him, beyond thrilled that he was so impressed by my collection. He walked up to the lemon tree and I shivered as I watched his fingertips caress a nearly ripe lemon. I wanted them to move across my skin that way.

12