Convergence of Fates

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her fingers are long and tipped with claws and her arms are slender, but she has more than enough strength to lift Rose up to her eye level. The snakewoman opens her mouth and bears her fangs as Rose tries to break free. Just before the woman's fangs meet Rose's flesh, she stops and blinks as she looks down. Rose follows her gaze and sees a gaping wound in the woman's snake like body as she screams in pain and throws Rose to the ground.

Rose tumbles across the sand and winces in pain before returning to her feet. She sees the woman slowly backing away from a man who calmly advances toward her. The man's long black hair blows in the wind and Rose can't make out any more details, but his silver armor and tan clothing suggest he is Gracian. The woman releases Rem and lunges at the man as he draws his sword faster than rose can see.

The snakewoman's arm comes flying off as blood sprays into the air and she screams in pain before hissing and attacking again. She tries to bite the man but he simply raises his sword and with a loud grunt, he cuts the woman in half as energy extends beyond his blade and cleanly cuts the woman down the length of her serpentine body. Her halves fall to the ground on either side of the man and he turns his attention towards the unconscious Rem who lies a few feet away. Rose runs toward the man and he immediately turns around, his hand still gripping his bloodstained sword.

"Thank you for saving us, I..." Rose begins.

She stops speaking as the man raises his sword to her neck and says, "Thought you were dead, from what I've heard you Alissians can't take very much. What are you two doing out here?"

"We were, trying to see what happened here a few days ago." Rose says glancing at Rem.

The man looks angry now as he says, "The same thing that happened to Alissi a few days ago, what the hell do you think? I'll ask you one last time, why are you here?"

He presses his blade against Rose's neck and she says, "Wait, we haven't done anything wrong, you can't just kill us!"

The man calmly replies, "Make no mistake, I very well could kill you two. After what happened here, two Alissians at the center of the destruction wouldn't last long against mobs demanding justice. Fortunately for you, Gracians are not barbaric like the Ryders. You will be presented to the queen and she will decide what to do with you."

Rose sighs and says, "We'll go peacefully, there's no need for your sword."

Rose unbuckles her sword from her hip and hands it to the man.

He takes it and says, "Smart move. I'll carry her, just start walking."

Rose looks around and then asks, "Which way?"

The man sighs and points towards a large rocky outcropping as he picks up Rem and they begin walking. The man follows close behind Rose as they approach and she sees a path leading down behind the tall rocks. Rose walks past a large stone and realizes it its part of a city wall.

"Is this Gracia?" Rose asks in disbelief.

The man nods and replies, "What's left of it. Stick to the wall and we'll end up near the palace."

Rose looks relieved and says, "Then at least some people survived, that's good."

The man seems surprised by Rose's concern as he says, "Yeah, one of those spheres of light took almost half the city, but in recent years the outer edges of the city were abandoned so even though most of the city itself is gone, our people will survive. I guess the monsters constantly trying to raid our city ended up being a blessing in disguise. I don't even want to think about the death toll if those districts were populated."

Rose thinks and says, "Your queen is alright, does that mean the palace is intact too?"

The man smiles and says, "Yeah, it was built into the stone and it took a beating, but it's still in one piece."

Rose notices now that the sand she walks upon conceals the destroyed sections of Gracia as she passes a rooftop slightly protruding from the sand. The path leads down and Rose sees more Gracians working to remove as much sand as they can.

"What the hell did you bring back this time Daal?" A burly man says as he digs his shovel into the sand and walks over to the man following Rose.

"They were near the site of the convergence, I'm bringing them to Queen Kathryn for judgement." Daal says.

The man takes a look at Rose and then says, "Alissians huh? Long way from home."

Daal nods and says, "Yes, well I'll be on my way then."

The man waves and says, "Sure, see ya later."

Daal takes the lead now as he says, "The palace is this way, don't get any ideas though."

"I would never leave Rem behind and we don't have any supplies, so we wouldn't get very far." Rose replies.

Daal laughs as he says, "True, you know I like you. Brutally honest and cute too. You'll make a fine wife for someone one day."

Rose blushes but quickly regains focus as they approach a large set of doors built into the rock wall.

"Here it is. A little advice before you meet with the queen, be truthful and respectful. You may not be a Ryder, but you are still a stranger in these lands." Daal says before opening the reinforced doors.

The inside of the palace looks much nicer than Rose expected for being carved into rock. Torches light the large room and a long red carpet sprawls from the doorway to the throne positioned against the back wall. Rose follows Daal to the throne and sees three men and a woman blocking her view of the queen.

"Who's there? Get the hell out of my way dammit!" A woman's voice says as one of the men is kicked from behind and falls face first onto the floor.

The others move aside and Rose sees Queen Kathryn sitting on her throne with her legs crossed. The Queen has tanned skin and fiery red hair down to her shoulders and her piercing green eyes examine Rose and Rem.

"My queen, these Alissians were found near the site of the convergence. I brought them to you for judgement." Daal says as he kneels and lowers his head.

"I see, you may leave us. That goes for the rest of you too." Kathryn says.

One of the men replies, "I could never leave my queen alone with, urgh!"

The man is interrupted by Kathryn punching him in the face.

"Get out before I get really pissed." Kathryn says calmly and the man quickly follows the others out of the room.

Kathryn sighs and sits back on her throne before saying, "Sorry about that, sometimes I need to remind them I'm not some helpless noble. So what brings Alissians out here? I heard your city was ravaged by the convergence as well, so it seems suspicious that you would abandon your home. What's more, you were found in the center of the recent destruction, so what do you have to say for yourself?"

Rose remembers Daal's advice and decides to tell the queen everything. Rose begins telling her story, making sure to leave nothing out, and Kathryn seems interested when she mentions Eris and again when she speaks of General Gohr.

Kathryn leans and rests her chin in her hand as she says, "Interesting, but a few things don't add up. I find it hard to believe that you met a goddess, and you also said you killed a Ryder general along with his soldiers. I've only seen a handful of Alissians that were actually competent when it came to battle, and you certainly don't look that tough to me."

Rose looks down and says, "If you don't believe me, I understand, I'm not really sure I believe it happened either, but please, my friend was bitten by a snake... woman in the desert, she needs help."

Kathryn looks to Rem lying next to Rose and says, "I want to speak with her as well, so she won't be dying just yet. I'll have her treated, but in the mean time, I think you are going to undergo a trial."

Rose looks confused and says, "What kind of trial?"

Kathryn smiles and says, "A duel. I'll be watching and judging your every move."

Rose tries to object but Kathryn rises from her throne and calls the men from before back into the room.

"Take this girl to my chambers and treat her injuries." Kathryn says pointing to Rem and two men lift her up and carry her down the hall. "Prepare the arena and inform Raysher. Our guest will be meeting him shortly." Kathryn says as she walks away.

The lone woman that was guarding Kathryn steps forward and says, "Come with me."

Rose follows the woman down the hall to a stairway leading underground. When she reaches the bottom, Rose steps into a large room. There is a pit with a balcony overlooking the area and the woman leads Rose to the entrance of the arena. Rose's sword is returned to her along with a steel breastplate. The woman helps Rose into the armor, although it feels very heavy and cumbersome.

"Thank you for helping me, I'm Rose, what's your name?" Rose asks with a smile.

The woman only replies, "If you survive, then perhaps I'll tell you."

Rose now understands this duel will be a fight to the death and suddenly she feels frightened. Kathryn appears on the balcony along with two other men and they sit down as the gate on the other side of the arena slowly opens. A man walks out wearing full Gracian armor and he carries a large sword over his shoulder. He stops in the center of the arena and then the gates in front of Rose begin to open.

"That is Raysher Bergot." The woman says as she finishes adjusting Rose's armor before she continues, "He is a very skilled knight, I suppose you won't learn my name after all."

Rose's confidence plummets as the woman walks away, and she is left alone as the gates open and she slowly walks into the arena.

Kathryn stands up and says, "Rose, you said you were able to fight off several Ryders and even kill a General. Raysher has done the same, so I'm curious to see if you are telling the truth. This will be a fight to the death, but only if you demonstrate the three principles Gracia was founded upon, will you pass this test. If you somehow kill Raysher and show none of these qualities, you'll fail, meaning you and your friend will be put to death."

Rose panics and says, "What are the qualities you're looking for?"

Kathryn laughs and says, "If I told you that, it wouldn't be much of a test, would it?" Kathryn return to her seat and yells, "Begin!"

Raysher quickly moves in and his sword comes crashing down as Rose narrowly avoids it. She readies herself and meets Raysher's blade, but he is much stronger and the force of his swing sends Rose tumbling across the arena.

Raysher rests his sword on his shoulder and says, "Is this all you've got? How disappointing."

Raysher's words echo through Rose's mind and the image of Gohr killing Chrol flashes before her. The sorrow turns to rage as Rose thinks of vengeance but if fades into a strange calm. Raysher smiles as he lifts his sword and Rose turns to look at him with a determined look on her face. His movements appear slow, although Rose knows he isn't putting much effort into his swing.

She can almost feel the intention behind Raysher's actions and strangely, it feels like Raysher is not out for blood. Rose blocks his sword and Raysher increases his speed, striking slightly faster until Rose can hardly keep up. As she slowly backs away, Rose trips and just before she hits the ground, she sees Raysher's blade coming towards her face. Rose doesn't flinch, still sensing no bloodlust in his attacks, and after hitting the ground, she points her sword at Raysher's neck.

The tip of Raysher's sword stops before it enters her flesh and Raysher laughs as he says, "So you do have some fight in you huh?"

He reaches up and removes his helmet, throwing it far behind him revealing his short brown hair and deep brown eyes.

Raysher smiles and says, "Are you aware of it?"

Rose slowly stands and says, "Aware of what?"

"If you were able to keep up with me, then you must feel it. Senses heightened beyond normal levels, that calm feeling when your very life hangs in the balance. It is the sign that you posses true potential, like myself and many others." Raysher explains as he circles Rose, dragging his sword behind him.

"What? I feel different but..." Her words trail off as she loses focus and everything returns to normal.

Raysher moves almost too fast to see as he says, "Was your fight with the Ryders the first time you used it? You can't even keep yourself focused can you?"

Rose barely dodges as Raysher's sword almost impales her and she tries to focus. She feels the calm wash over her again and as she blocks Raysher's attack, she gets the feeling he's holding back.

"Stop toying with me, I'm not some child." Rose says as she blocks another attack and the two lock blades.

"As you wish." Raysher says and he quickly kicks Rose and sends her flying into the wall.

Before she even hits the ground, Raysher grabs her by the throat and then tosses her across the arena. Rose flails in mid air trying to right herself but Raysher leaps up and slashes her arm. Rose hits the ground with her back and bounces before returning to the dirt and gasping in pain. Rose coughs up blood as more seeps through her shirt and drips down her arm. The cut is deep and it makes it painful to use her left arm.

Rose clutches her sword as she rolls over and slowly gets up. Rose is breathing heavily and her focus is waning, leaving her vision blurry. Raysher's attacks are too fast for her to follow, but deep cuts open on both her legs, as Raysher spins around and slashes her back. The armor cracks under the pressure, but it prevents the blade from cutting her, as she falls to her knees and Raysher kicks her across the arena once more. Rose tumbles though the dirt, leaving a small trail of blood as Raysher looks up towards Kathryn.

She stands and says, "Well, I guess that's that. Too bad about your sisters, but at least you'll be reunited once again. Finish this Raysher."

Rose slowly rises to her feet, her legs trembling in pain and she suddenly feels like a fire has been lit inside her. Her body feels like power is rushing through it so fast she might explode. She senses Raysher's blade and swings hard, cutting his huge sword in half as the tip spins through the air and lands in the dirt. Before he can react, Rose slashes down hard and her blade pierces the thick metal armor, leaving a large bloody slash across Ryasher's chest.

He falls to his knees and coughs up blood as he looks up at Rose and Kathryn says, "Very impressive, now finish him."

Rose looks into Raysher's eyes and then tosses her sword to the ground while staring defiantly at Queen Kathryn.

Kathryn smiles and says, "Well done my Alissian friend, you pass! Get them to the healers at once, and Rose, come by my chambers after you're feeling better."

Rose wasn't expecting that and as she sighs in relief, her concentration breaks and the pain returns in full and she drops to her knees.

"A... good fight." Raysher says as he breathes shallowly.

"You were holding back, Kathryn told you not to kill me, didn't she?" Rose asks.

Raysher lets out a pained laugh and says, "Apologies, but you put up... a hell of a fight."

Rose laughs and then winces in pain as blood slowly pools around the fighters. A few moments later, several men and women rush into the arena and begin healing their wounds. Rose watches in amazement as her cuts slowly close up and the pain fades away.

It takes a few hours, but Raysher and Rose are fully healed and as the exhausted healers begin to leave the arena Raysher says, "I'll show you to the Queen's chambers."

Rose nods and follows Raysher back up the staircase and into the palace.

He leads Rose upstairs and down a hall where he turns around and says, "With some training, you could become a fine warrior. It was a pleasure dueling you Rose."

Rose smiles and says, "Thanks for going easy on me."

Raysher opens the doors and Rose walks into the room. It is sparsely decorated and hardly looks like a royal bedroom, the empty rock walls making it look more like a prison cell with no windows.

Kathryn is standing by the bed where Rem is lying and she says, "Don't be shy, come on in. So, you feeling better?"

Kathryn smiles and Rose says, "Yeah, but was all that really necessary?"

Kathryn laughs and says, "Of course! I had my doubts, but there's no way some random Alissian girl could match Raysher. Unless you really were given some of Eris's power that is. Sorry to push you, but sometimes people need a good kick."

Rose is still confused and asks, "So what were you judging me on?"

Kathryn leans back and says, "Strength, will, and compassion. Sounds simple enough but make someone think they are going to die and you get to see their true colors. You stood toe to toe with Raysher so I know you're strong enough, and you wouldn't kill him despite being ordered to, showing compassion and your own iron will."

Rose sighs in relief that she passed and looks to Rem and says, "How is she?"

Kathryn smiles and says, "She's sleeping it off, should be good as new in no time."

"That's good." Rose replies.

"What is your plan then, find Eris and bring your sisters back?" Kathryn asks.

Rose thinks and says, "Yes, but first I have to help her stop the convergence from happening again. She said there were four monoliths and two of them have been destroyed now. I know there's one to the south, so maybe the other is to the north?"

Kathryn shakes her head and says, "There hasn't been one of those things to the north for a very long time."

Rose looks confused and says, "What do you mean?"

"Rydell had a monolith nearby, like Gracia and Alissi, but the second convergence destroyed it. Rydell was obliterated and their people scattered, living in small tribes until Erimon rose to power and united most of them." Kathryn explains.

Rose is even more confused now and she says, "Wait, the second convergence? That happened almost two hundred years ago, how could King Erimon still be alive?"

Kathryn has a grim look on her face as she says, "The Ryder mages found a way to extend a person's life and Erimon had them sacrifice themselves so he could live longer. I guess it's not permanent though because I hear he looks quite old now."

Rose had never heard about magic like that and Kathryn seems to be very knowledgeable so Rose asks, "Why is King Erimon invading Alissi, isn't he also at war with your people?"

Kathryn sighs and says, "Yes, we've been fighting them since before I was born, and my father was killed when I was only thirteen. I had to take over the empire and make sure our people survived. As for why, I don't have an answer for that. He was around before my father's time, but stories say he changed after his life was extended. He became ruthless and cruel, and anyone who disagreed with him ended up dead. He rules through fear and that's what caused about a third of Rydell to come settle out here."

Rose looks surprised and says, "I thought Ryders founded Gracia as a stronghold."

Kathryn shrugs and says, "Technically that's true, we are descendants of Ryders and this was a stronghold against the monsters, but we also began fighting the Ryders in time."

Rose thinks for a moment before saying, "Then if there's no monolith in the north, where could the final one be?"

"Hell if I know, but maybe a trip to the southern monolith would give you some answers." Kathryn says with a smile.

Rose replies, "I guess you're right, I can only hope I can meet up with Eris again before she leaves for the final monolith."

"A word of warning though, I've heard that the Ryders pushed out of Alissi didn't return across the border. Apparently, they've been spotted in the southern wastelands." Kathryn says.

Rose looks back at Rem and says, "Thanks for the warning, we'll be careful."

Kathryn laughs and says, "What you need is someone to train you. Why don't you get some rest and I'll see if I can find someone I can spare."

1...45678...12