Conversations 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I wanted someone to love me again like Karen had. Like Karen had given me and then taken away. I tried to love her more in order to get that depth of love back again, and she seemed to appreciate it, but didn't need it. She already had someone who loved her utterly.

"And so, in weakness, I turned to Maeve. We went out to dinner and talked and talked, just like Karen and I had always done. We ended up at her flat and for a long time, we just cuddled, spooning and talking. It was an inevitable progression, I guess. Karen and I hadn't had sex for almost eight months. I was an all-too-easy target. That doesn't make it right; it just was what it was.

"I felt terrible afterwards. Strangely the guilt wasn't so much about the sex as the intimacy of the thoughts we'd shared. I'd broken that just as much as Karen had. And when I got home really late, she guessed immediately what I'd done -- even if she didn't know any of the details. I'd never lied to her before, and I wasn't going to start then, it never even crossed my mind to do so. I answered all her questions honestly and she threw me out. She and Alison were both crying and screaming at me, and in a way that was a perfect illustration of what my life had become -- a partnership of two and a lone one.

"And now I don't know what to do."

He turned to look at me.

"You're my best friend -- probably my only friend now -- unless you don't want to be any more. What do you think I should do?"

I opened my mouth to urge him to try and make it work with Karen; try to get her to forgive him. Obviously that was what he should do. She loved and needed him now more than ever.

But then I closed it again. What if he was right? What if I urged him to go back to a marriage in which the love had been halved, where an extra person hadn't doubled the love, but simply taken away from what was there? Would that be enough for him? Should it be? After being given the gold medal, could he be happy as an also-ran?

In the end, all I could come up with was a compromise.

"I think what you need to do is go to Karen and tell her exactly what you told me, in exactly the same words. She's at least as smart as you are, so ask her what she thinks you should do. And if you're not sure she'll listen to you, I'll do it for you. I'm sure I could get her to hear it in your own words."

I was absolutely certain of that.

He pursed his lips and nodded slowly. "I really appreciate that. I don't think she'd give me the time of day right now. Actually I don't think she would piss on me if I was on fire at the moment. Please, if you would do it, maybe she'll be able to offer a solution that I just can't think of. I'm at the Royal in town. It's offseason so I can afford it for a while, and then I guess I'll look around, depending on what she comes up with.

"You're the best friend a man could hope for, you know that?"

He paid the bill for both of us, grabbed my hand and did the A-frame chest bump thing that men do to ensure their dicks never get too close together. Then he left, leaving me to some cold thoughts.

Twenty minutes later, Caro arrived, her thick coat making her look heavy. Admittedly, her baby-bump was mostly the cause of that, but I liked to think it was entirely the coat's fault and that my beloved's figure was as lithe and supple as ever.

She frowned at my beer until I told her about Jeff and then she couldn't care less, listening to the recording I'd made on my phone with avid, almost manic concentration, shaking her head and shushing me sternly whenever I tried to butt in to expand on a point. Then she listened to it again, while I quietly finished the beer.

When she tapped the phone to close it, she looked at me, reached for my beer and took a swallow before grimacing and handing it back. She was never a beer person.

"What do you think Karen will say when we play this for her?" I asked.

"I don't know," she replied, her expression showing her distress.

"What would you say?" I asked. We loved each other as deeply as Karen and Jeff did. In most ways, we were their mirror image.

There was a long, long pause as she looked down at the bar, deep in thought.

"I don't know," she whispered.

And when she looked up at me, her hands pressed to her burgeoning belly, in her eyes were fathomless pools of fear.

12