Cool For The Summer Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Miriam Walters said "I'll never ask you about Commander Troy again, Chief Moynahan." She was referring to Savannah just walking out, as I'd done on a few occasions. But her attempt at humor fell flat, and the Sheriff let Miriam know it.

"Commander Troy is right about this, Ms. Walters." growled Griswold. "He was offered the chance to get some information by McCombs's voluntary action. He did his job. Ms. Fineman did not do hers properly, and now lives may be in danger."

"Tell me how." Miriam said, anger creeping into her voice. "Tell me how lives are in danger over this. I know you have your jobs to do, but I'm getting tired of the secrecy, the lack of transparency. You throw out this shit about lives being in danger, but you won't say why. So... tell me, whose lives are in danger, and how?"

Everyone was looking at me. I said "Your points are well taken. But you know we have to have secrecy when developing leads, and when trying to protect our Officers, our Confidential Informants, and innocent people. I'll just say this... Hosea 8:7 says 'Ye have sown the wind, and ye shall reap the whirlwind'. By not doing her job, Savannah Fineman has sown the wind. And I think you'll be seeing the 'whirlwind' within a few days."

Miriam got up to go. "Well, it's done now. The Feds have him. And I for one say 'Good riddance!'. I'll call you later, Paulina." With that, she exited the room.

"If I may be excused, Chief," I said, "I've got fires to put out."

"By all means, Mr. Crowbarrrr." replied the Chief. "By all means..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Leaving the Conference Room, I made a beeline for the office of Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle. The Iron Wolf was 'in'.

"Sounds like things went to hell in a handbasket, sir." Teresa said.

"I'm trying to stop that from happening." I replied. "And I need you to call Todd and tell him to warn Archie Brody that the Feds might try to arrest him. I'll call Mike Todd to be prepared to represent Brody if he is arrested."

"Wow." Teresa muttered. As she fished her cellphone out of her pants pocket, she asked "Who's behind this? I can't believe Jack Muscone would be doing this to you."

When I didn't answer out loud, she looked up at me, and my return look at her said more than words could. "Go ahead and give Todd that call." was all I said before turning and leaving the office...

Part 13 - Breach of Trust

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, August 14th, from a middle class neighborhood that I did not immediately recognize. "We have breaking news of an imminent arrest by Federal Agents of a BOW Enterprises technician... and here they come!"

The camera showed Federal Agents pulling up in black limousines. Armed and armored Federal Agents ran up to the door of the home right behind where Bettina was, announced themselves by loudly yelling "FEDERAL AGENTS!", then immediately rammed in the door. At least twelve Agents swarmed inside, by my count. No effort was made to impede the KXTC camera nor Bettina's reporting.

A moment later, Agents came out of the house, half-walking half-dragging Archie Brody, who was wearing only boxer shorts. Bettina was shoving a microphone into Brody's face, yelling "Did you plant a bug in the wheelchair of a Federal Agent's wife? Did BOW Enterprises or Commander Troy tell you to bug the wheelchair?" The cameras were right in Archie Brody's face, making sure to clearly show it to the viewing audience.

Brody didn't get to answer. He was violently shoved into the back of one of the black Escalades, and half of the vehicles left in a convoy. The rest of the Agents began tearing Brody's home apart, almost as destructively as they'd destroyed The Cabin. (Author's note: 'No Way Out', Ch. 02.)

Bettina began reporting: "Federal Agents have served a warrant for the arrest of Archie Brody, a BOW Enterprises technician. The warrant was issued by Federal Judge K.M. Landis after intel information was developed that indicated Brody allegedly planted a listening device on the wheelchair of TCPD Captain Tanya Perlman Muscone, who is the wife of FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone!"

Bettina: "As of this morning, the Town & County Police had made no move to arrest Brody, though sources tell Channel Two News they were aware of Brody's involvement in the planting of the bugging device. The TCPD did arrest former Police Sergeant McCombs, but Federal Marshals took custody of him yesterday, and the Town & County D.A.'s Office issued a statement saying they were not going to pursue local charges against Sergeant McCombs until the Federal issues were resolved..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The coffee klatch in the Chief's Conference Room consisted of Sheriff Griswold on the far side (meaning the other side from the door of the room), nearest the monitor screen, me 'behind' him as we faced the monitor (to his right as we faced the screen), Chief Moynahan at the near end of the table, Commander Cindy Ross to the Chief's right on the near side of the table, and Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle in front of her.

And we were all absolutely stunned by what we'd just seen on Bettina's broadcast.

"Did Bettina really just try to inject your name into this, Commander Troy?" Teresa asked angrily.

"Yes." I replied grimly. "But you won't hear much more of that. The Feds want this to be all about Archie Brody, not about me."

"I've walked in late to this party." Cindy said. "Why do you all look like you just heard that Bowser died or something?"

"Because something did just die." I said. "Trust... between me and Jack Muscone."

To emphasize my point, I got out my personal iPhone and dialed Jack Muscone's number. It went straight to voicemail. I repeated the action, but this time on speaker so that everyone could hear it go to voicemail. I then tried on my Police iPhone, on speaker, with the same result.

"He's busy?" Cindy queried. "Or is he just not answering?"

"Where's Captain Muscone?" Sheriff Griswold growled.

"In her office." said Teresa. "She's been hosting coffee klatches with her Lieutenants, but they're all in MCD today. So I guess she's alone in her office."

"Don," said Cindy, "are you going to ask Tanya to get Jack to call you?"

"No." I said quietly, looking at my iPhone in my hand. "I'm not going to say one single word to her." The look on Cindy's face showed everyone else that she'd read my vibe, and that it was 'not good'.

"What nowwwww?" drawled the Chief.

I replied "I talked to Mike Todd today, and he's on standby to help Archie Brody. If we can find him, that is."

"What do you mean by that?" Cindy asked a little too incisively, and I'd had just about enough.

"What the hell do you think it means?" I said angrily. "It means that the Feds may be taking Archie Brody out of State, or who knows God damn where on the face of this earth, and they will subject him to their standard methods of 'enhanced' interrogation'."

"You think they're going to torture him?" Cindy gasped.

"Not like the CIA interrogating terrorists." I said. "But the FBI can subject him to psychological procedures, such as putting him in a room where he has no sense of time, keeping him awake. They can interrogate him relentlessly, threaten him with all sorts of stuff if he doesn't 'confess' to what they want to hear. And Cindy, Archie Brody is nowhere near as mentally tough as you were when the Feds tried to do those things to you." (Author's note: 'No Way Out', Ch. 03-04.)

"But why would they do that?" Cindy asked.

"You'll have to ask Jack Muscone that.:" I said. "Why don't you try to give him a call, and ask him."

Cindy's look turned to anger at that. "Well, from what I understand, he did plant the bug on Tanya's wheelchair."

"He was duped into it." I said. "I checked him out three ways to Sunday, and there's nothing to indicate that he is anything but too trusting. But worse, I told Muscone that, and he said he'd hold off arresting or charging Brody."

"I still don't get why you think they're going to 'rendition' him." Cindy said. That got me staring at her.

"First of all," I said in my 'authoritarian' voice, "did you notice that Bettina was on the scene, ready to tape that arrest? She knew about it in advance. And she was told so that Archie Brody's perp walk would be very publicly shown to the world. That public humiliation is the second step in the Feds's psychological warfare against Brody."

Your Iron Crowbar: "The first step was to invade his home in the early morning as if he were a terrorist. I might add that they did that same thing to my home early one morning." (Author's note: 'No Way Out', Ch. 02-03.) "And they've probably destroyed Brody's home the same way they destroyed mine. Thank God he doesn't own a dog, or they would've killed that dog right in front of him. Again, I can think of an attempted precedent for that."

"All right, all right. We get the point, Mr. Crowbarrr." drawled Chief Moynahan, trying to ease the rising tension in the room. "The question now is: what are we going to doooooo about it?"

I said "I'm going to find out where they took Brody, and get him some legal help---"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my personal iPhone. I answered it: "Troy."

"Hi Don, this is Alison McFarland." said the Executive Publisher of the Town & County Examiner. "I just wanted to give you a heads-up to watch the KFXU broadcast this morning. It's going to be a barnburner..."

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was Cindy's iPhone and she answered it. After hanging up, she said "That was Priya Ajmani. She said we need to make sure we watch the KFXU broadcast at eight o'clock..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

During the in-between time, I went to my office and called Mike G. Todd, and asked him to find Archie Brody and be his representation. Mike agreed to do it, and said he'd call me back later.

My calls to other FBI Agents, including Julius Jefferson, Ted Crenshaw, Tim Jenkins, and Karina White were answered, but they appeared to be playing dodgeball. Jefferson was in the City and said Muscone must be in my Town & County. Crenshaw and Jenkins said he wasn't in Southport; he must be in the City if he wasn't in the Town & County. Karina White sounded like she did not want to say the words she was saying, and she only said that she didn't know where Jack was, but would try to get in touch with him and have him call me.

My call to Melina Allgood was more dire. When she answered, I asked if she knew where Jack Muscone was and could she get him to call me. Her reply was "I don't know where he is. By the way, Daniel is really looking forward to starting school at the end of the month."

That was code that she couldn't or didn't want to talk on the phone. I said I was looking forward to my kids starting first grade, and we made our goodbyes and disconnected.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said a brightly smiling Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, Friday, August 14th, from the KFXU studios. "As always, I'm joined by Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith!"

"Good morning, Catrina." said Meredith, who looked considerably less happy than Catrina. "Good morning everyone." She did not being delivering the news headlines as she normally did.

Catrina said "We have a fast breaking story with huge implications for the Governor's race! Let's go to our political reporter, Priya Ajmani, with more. Priya!"

"That's right, Catrina and Meredith!" said the beautiful Indian reporterette as she came on screen. "I'm with Alison McFarland of the Town & County Examiner, who broke this story online last night, and is here exclusively on the Fox networks in our State! Alison, what can you tell us?"

The camera panned out to show Alison McFarland, who said "Hi Priya, and thank you for making time for me." She turned to the camera and began her report: "The Town & County Examiner has learned that a laptop computer belonging to Hunter Stenson, son of Democrat candidate for Governor Hoyt Stenson, was found in a taxi in the City and turned over to the SBI!"

Alison: "According to SBI Inspector General Britt Maxwell, the laptop contains texts and emails to and from Hunter Stenson, showing that Hunter was selling access to his father in exchange for money and also drugs. There are also a number of texts where Hunter Stenson uses the n-word to describe Corey Coons and other blacks in political offices."

Alison: "Fox Eight News and the Examiner tried to ask Hoyt Stenson about his son's alleged influence-peddling and drug use, and got this response. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Hoyt Stenson after making remarks at a political rally in his home district of Jacksonville. When Keith Madden asked about the laptop and the alleged charges, Stenson angrily yelled "That's a goddamn lie! All of it! You print one word of that, and I kick your ass all over the State!"

"So you deny your son has a drug habit? And that he used the n-word to describe Corey Coons?" Keith Madden yelled. "The SBI has the proof that he did!"

"You filthy son of a (beep!)" yelled Stenson, who tried to attack Madden but was restrained by staffers.

"What, you gonna hit me, Stenson?" goaded Madden. "Really? Give it your best shot!" But by now State Troopers had arrived, and helped the staffers get Stenson out of there. A couple of them also escorted Keith Madden out of the area, as reporters were starting to snarl threats at him for daring to ask a Democrat a tough question.

Back to Priya live: "And Fox Eight News has learned that SBI Inspector Maxwell has sought and received warrants to investigate the finances of Hunter Stenson as well as C-level executives of BigAgraFoods, BigWirelessCorp, and SPS. None of these companies's spokespersons responded to requests for comment by the Examiner nor Fox Eight News..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Awk-wrrrrd." Teresa Croyle said, showing her pawky wit.

"You bet it is!" growled Sheriff Griswold, his mustaches twitching most very merrily.

"But will anything come of it?" asked Cindy Ross.

"I would say to watch if Bettina or the SNN Networks report on it at all." I said. "But Bettina was covering that perp walk of Archie Brody this morning, and today is Friday, giving them a whole weekend to not report the story, and therefore to bury it."

"Still, sir," said Teresa Croyle, "this will get out, and it can't help but hurt Stenson's chances in the Governor's race.

Chief Moynahan said "Hoyt Stenson has already said that it's not truuuuue, and even pretended to try to attack that reporrrrrterrrr. People who want to believe that will find solace in his words of denial, which isn't just a river in Egypt." We all politely chuckled at the joke, practicing good asskissing skills.

"What I'm looking forward to seeing," I said, "is what Corey Coons is going to say about Hoyt Stenson's son calling Coons the n-word. Reminds me of Bill Clinton and the Reverend Jesse Jack-snnnn in 1992, over the 'Sister Souljah' incident." (Author's note: if you don't remember that, duckduckgo it, i.e. look it up...)

"He'll find some way to wave it off." said Teresa. "Or he'll say he doesn't believe those texts are real."

"I want to know how that laptop just happened to come into the SBI's possession." Cindy said. "Consider me skeptical that Hunter Stenson just left it in a taxi."

"Well," I said, "they were looking into Stenson for some things already." (Author's note: 'The Whole Nine Yards', Ch. 02.) "So maybe someone 'helped' (air quotes) it get lost and then found in that taxi..."

Part 14 - Storm Clouds Gathering

11:00am, Friday, August 14th. I had finally reached EAD Owen Lange, whose cell phone Myron later told me was pinging from the City.

"Yeah, I heard about that arrest." said Lange. "I don't know where Muscone is, nor where our Agents took Brody, but I'll find Muscone and get him to call you."

Ten minutes later, Mayor Daniel Allgood called me and asked if I'd like to have lunch with him and his wife. I knew what this meant, and I accepted the invitation.

We met at 11:30am at the Cattleman's Club, and were put in the back room, which was empty for the moment. After ordering, I said "Thanks for calling me. I'm hoping that you have some information for me, Melina?"

"I've found out a few things." Melina said. "First of all, I'm pretty sure they're listening in on my phone calls. As you know, the Federal Government has the tools to listen in on cellphone conversations if they know the numbers and internal codes of the phone being used, and they do know mine. I have burner phones, but just to be on the safe side, I thought it'd be better to take you and my husband to lunch." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

Melina: "Second, this whole Archie Brody arrest and perp walk was organized by Jack Muscone personally, and he began the planning almost from the moment he left your office yesterday. They had the warrants yesterday afternoon, but decided to ambush Brody in his home rather than try to go into BOW Enterprises and take him out of there."

Melina: "The one thing I cannot find out is where they've taken him. I've been able to find out every Federal vehicle that participated in the raid on Brody's home, and they all went to the Federal Building on Elm Street. As you know, at least I think you know, there are holding cells and Interrogation Rooms in the basement, there. I do know Brody is not there. So they must've used a car I don't know enough about to trace to take him somewhere."

For those who don't know: that little 'THEFT' light blinking in your car? It's a whole lot more. If someone doesn't pay their car bill, the repo people can trace the car via that device to repossess it. And if you've ever wondered when you hear a news report how quickly some perp was found and arrested while attempting to flee the authorities? Yep. And there's even more, but Melina is not going to tell us those secrets...

"I appreciate everything you've done." I said. "If you find him, let me know."

Melina said "I'll do you one better. I'll go with Mike Todd to provide him with legal representation, to protect Mike. And I won't be alone." I expressed my gratitude at the offer.

Daniel Allgood said. "I've got a question or two about a completely different subject. What do you think of that stuff about Hoyt Stenson and his son Hunter?"

I replied "Like the McDonald's song says: I'm lovin' it! But I'm not sure it's going to come to anything, at least not before the General Election in November."

Daniel nodded, then asked "My campaign's polling shows me ahead of Eldrick X. Weaver by four points. Are you hearing anything new and different? And do you think there will be shenanigans in the vote count?"

"Pun not intended," I said, "I'm almost counting on fraudulent counting. The Sheriff is going to have Deputies crawling all over the Elections Center, where the votes will be counted, and I'll be augmenting that with volunteer TCPD Officers. Judge Folsom has already told Judge Watts and Judge Nance that only Watts will be taking any legal actions, and that if anyone tries to go to Nance, both that lawyer and Nance will go to jail for Contempt. Nance pitched a huge fit about it, but Folsom told Nance that he, Nance, could resign if he didn't like it."

"I still don't trust them." Melina said. "I'm expecting sudden dumps of thousands of last-minute ballots, that will be 96% for Weaver."

"Those will be disallowed." I said. "Unlike the City, drop boxes for ballots are not allowed in our Town & County. Absentee ballots must come in through the mail, that being the U.S. Post Office. And ballots are not being mailed out without an absentee ballot request."