Coping with Lethality

Story Info
Our hero has a basic personality conflict.
20.2k words
3.4
29.4k
32
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
demander
demander
1,497 Followers

Tim Blake was a runner, and a planner. This Thursday night he was sitting on a bench, under a tree, across the street from a low-level downtown hotel. He wore black sweatpants, black sneakers, a black hoodie with a tight hood, dark gloves, and a black KN95 mask, maybe fake.

Tim was thirty-nine years old, medium build. He had twin daughters, sixteen, and a son, fifteen. They were all at home this night. He was married to Monica, thirty-seven. As he sat on the bench, Monica emerged from the hotel's front door, and turned right toward the parking garage where her Camry was parked while she spent some time inside. It was nine pm. Tim watched her go, and saw her car emerge from the garage. She drove past him.

Two minutes later Donald Crenshaw, III emerged from the hotel. He was forty-nine years old, and he was a big man, well dressed this night. He was a partner in Monica's law firm. He was also a cheapskate and a snake. His Lexus was not in the lighted parking garage. Instead, Crenshaw had parked it in an alley next to the hotel, by the loading dock, which was unused at night. That way he saved eight dollars. Also, there was no record of his having been near the hotel that night. But it was the eight dollars that mattered to him.

Crenshaw turned left from the hotel entrance, walked half a block and turned into the alley. Tim got off the bench when he saw Crenshaw, and jogged easily across the street, both hands in the pouch of his hoodie. Crenshaw was reaching into the pocket of his overcoat to get his keys when Tim caught up to him. Crenshaw had absolutely no idea that someone else was near him. Tim pulled a.22 revolver out of his hoodie. It was loaded with six rounds. Shorts. It had a homemade sound suppression device mounted on it. Tim put the revolver at the center of the back of Crenshaw's neck and shot him, injuring his spine. Crenshaw dropped to the ground. Crumpled, really. Tim turned him over so they could talk. Crenshaw was alive, and paralyzed. He looked up at Tim.

Tim lifted the KN95 mask, and smiled at Crenshaw. He could see that Crenshaw recognized him. Tim was happy to see the abject fear in the man's face.

Tim said, "You shouldn't be fucking someone's wife. Especially mine. Time to pay up."

Crenshaw gurgled something. Tim shot him in the middle of his forehead. He checked for a pulse, and found none. Then he removed Crenshaw's wallet, and his car keys. He hefted the body - for it was now just a body - and eased it into a dumpster stationed by the loading dock. There was debris in the dumpster and the body made little noise as it settled into it.

Tim got into Crenshaw's car. He drove it across town, and parked it at a certain curb. Twenty minutes later a man approached it, took the keys from the front driver's tire, and drove away. Three hours later the Lexus was no more. Parts in a big warehouse.

Tim ran from the Lexus to his house, miles away. About halfway there, he stopped, took the money from the wallet and shoved the wallet into a storm drain. Another four blocks on, he did the same with the.22. It was an untraceable gun, that he had since he was a teenager. He had grown up in a rough neighborhood. He had hidden the gun all that time, knowing that someday he might need it - again.

Monica was home when he arrived from his regular Thursday evening run. He was about five minutes later than usual.

The teens were all upstairs in their rooms. Monica was in the kitchen. She had shed her work clothes, and wore a shift, slippers. She looked the same as usual - very good.

She said, "How was your run?"

"Very satisfying." Tim smiled at her. He noted that she had showered since she had been home. A normal Thursday. He did the same, and they went to bed. She initiated sex. Tim pulled her to himself and fucked her hard, until they both came.

Monica arrived home from work the next day, shocked.

"Tim, Don has been killed. He's dead." She was sobbing.

"He was a jerk. Why cry?" He stared at her, hard. She paled, screamed and fell to the floor.

**********************

Tim looked down at her there. He felt no compassion. Rather, he was quite pleased. Served her right.

He watched as she wobbled her way upright by grabbing the couch. She was still sobbing.

"What happened? And why are you so distraught? The guy was a total jerk, and you've said it yourself many times."

She looked at him. Tears were streaming down her face.

She sobbed, "You! You....." She coudn't finish.

"I what? Just tell me what happened."

"You know. You evil bastard!"

"Whoa! What the fuck? You need to calm down, Monica. I didn't do shit to the guy, if that's what you're saying. The question is, why would you think I did?"

"He....he wasn't an asshole. He was....nice. How did you find out?"

"Well, I guess you just told me. You were fucking him. Jesus, Monica. Because he WAS an asshole. What kind of person are you?"

"I'm not what you are! How could you? It was only a fling."

"Yeah, and how many other flings did he have? Why are you accusing me?"

He said all the right things, but with a little smile on his face. That smile, and the hard stare at the start, allowed his errant wife to know what had happened.

"You killed him and you're going to be arrested. Then what happens to the family, when you're in prison?"

"I'm not going to be arrested, and won't be in prison. I guarantee. The real question is what happens to the family now that I find out you're an unfaithful slut."

"I'm no slut. It was a fling. It wasn't going to last. You..."

"How long had this been going on?"

"I don't have to talk about that."

"I can understand that. Must have been a while, otherwise you'd tell. Here it is. I believe we have to get divorced. I want that, I think. Maybe you do as well."

"I have to consider. I mean...you say you didn't, but I don't know. You're grinning when you say it. An unsettling grin. An admission."

"Bullshit. I am happy that the guy's dead, though. He shouldn't be fucking anyone's wife. People can be dangerous under those circumstances."

"You especially."

"Moving on, please move your stuff into the basement room. I'm not sleeping with you."

"You move."

"No, Monica. You fucked around, so you pay the price. A small price......so far."

Monica didn't want to sleep in the same room with Tim, anyway. She got enough things to keep her for the night, and went downstairs.

All three kids then came quickly down the stairs. They had been alerted by the crying and arguing, apparently.

Rita and Emma were agog. Tim, Jr. less so.

Rita said, "Dad, what's going on? We heard some stuff. About divorce, flings. What?"

"Here's the story, kids. Your mother has been unfaithful with her boss. And, more, someone apparently killed the guy last night. That's about what I know. She'll be sleeping on the basement futon for the foreseeable future."

"Geez, Dad...." This was Junior. "Are you getting divorced?"

"Dunno, I have very little information, and no explanation. Now, we need a dinner. Let's call a couple of pizzas."

Emma had her phone. "What kinds?" She was a level-headed girl, and could eat.

Thirty minutes later the pizzas came. A large veggie, and a meat lovers. There hadn't been a lot of talk while they waited. Everyone seemed pensive.

Over pizza, they began to discuss things.

Tim said, "I want all of you to know that whatever happens between your mother and me, I'll always have your backs. Please try not to get distracted and lose your grades. And, also, no talk at school. This problem should stay here, for the moment."

"When....when will some decisions get made?" Rita was clearly anxious and never ate much anyway. Emma was still eating. (Yet, they were both the same, slim size. Go figure.)

"I can't say. Who wants to take your mom some pizza?"

Emma looked up. There were two pieces left. She seemed disappointed.

Rita said, "I'll go." She made a plate and took a water bottle.

Rita was downstairs for ten minutes. When she came back up, the others looked at her.

"Mom said thanks for the pizza. She's not in very good shape. I gave her a hug. She said to tell you all that she was sorry for what happened."

Junior sighed. "What part of what happened is she sorry for?"

The girls looked at him, aghast.

Tim said, "Please, JR. She's screwed up, sure. But let's see what happens. She still loves you all."

After ice cream dessert, the kids went to their rooms, no doubt to look on their computers, or phones, for reports of the killing.

Tim did the same. The local section of the paper had a big article on it. It said that prominent local attorney and conservative political activist Donald Crenshaw III had been found shot to death in a dumpster in an alley behind the Elvers Hotel. Police indicated that Crenshaw had been robbed, and that his late model Lexus was missing. The police would not say why Crenshaw was in the alley. The investigation continued. There was speculation on line that Crenshaw had been killed for political reasons, since he was a big supporter of Trump.

It was past nine o'clock when the doorbell rang. Tim looked at the camera and saw two plainclothes police officers - an older white guy dressed in a rumpled suit, and a sharply dressed black man, tall and slim. He opened the door.

Tim said, "What can I do for you guys?"

The white detective said, "I'm Detective Stevens, and this is Detective Jackson. We'd like to speak to you and your wife."

"About Crenshaw?"

"Yes."

"Well, I can talk to you, but she's downstairs, and maybe asleep."

He stepped back and the two officers came in. He ushered them into the living room. Then he went to the stairs and spoke loudly, "Everyone in their rooms, now."

Feet padded away from the top of the stairs.

"Sorry, detectives. Three teenagers, already shaken up. I didn't want them to....worry."

Jackson said, "Probably can't avoid that, sir."

"I do what I can. What do you want to know?"

"We'd like to know where you were on Thursday evening."

"I was doing my usual long run. After dinner, I run on Thursdays, some distance. I've been doing that for several years."

Jackson asked, "You run after dinner?"

"Well, ninety minutes or more after. I leave around 8:45 and come back past ten o'clock."

"Where did you go?"

"I ran down the parkway path, toward town, cut off into Landsdale, through to Marx Park, around the park, and back through town to the parkway path. It's one of several routes I have."

"So, did you go near the Elvers?"

"No...well, near? About, maybe eight blocks. On Sheridan."

Stevens asked, "What were you wearing?"

"Sweats. I believe a blue top, some dark pants."

He said, "Mr. Blake, we have information that your wife, Monica, was having an affair with Mr. Crenshaw. Were you aware of that?"

"Not until she came home tonight. She was very upset about Crenshaw. Much more upset than I might have expected, since it was my impression that she detested him. When she told me he'd been killed, I maybe wasn't so tactful. She reacted badly to that, and it came out that she'd been having a 'fling,' as she called it, with him."

"You didn't know before tonight?"

"No."

"Was she home when you left for your run?"

"No."

"When you came back?"

"Yes."

"Did she seem....out of sorts in any way?"

"Not at all. We had sex, went to sleep."

"I see. Is it normal for her not to be here when you start your run?"

"Lately, yes. Some project at work.....so she said. Do you mean to say that she was with him that night?"

Jackson said, "Yes."

"Shit. The bitch. Shit."

"You seem more upset."

"Sloppy seconds. She gave me sloppy seconds. The bitch."

"Mr. Blake, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm a freelance programmer. I work from that garage out back."

"So....I don't really understand."

"I do some game programs, and sell them. I also fix other people's stuff. I do okay."

"And your wife is a lawyer? In the same firm as Mr. Crenshaw?"

"Yes."

"So you knew him."

"I'd see him at firm parties and functions. He's married, has three kids. But I didn't know him. At those functions he was overbearing and obnoxious."

"Where are you from?"

"You mean where I grew up? Jones Station."

"Ah. A real bad area to grow up."

"You learn to cope."

"I bet. Well, Mr. Blake, we need to speak to your wife. Can you see if she's awake? Otherwise, we can see her tomorrow at the station - bright and early."

Tim went downstairs. Monica was naked, sound asleep on the futon. He snuck away.

"She's out like a light. If I get your card, I'll have her call in the morning."

They left, and Tim went upstairs to talk to the kids. He assured them that there would be no problem. Then they all went to bed, if not to sleep.

Tim woke up at 5:00 am, as usual. He went to the 'office' and did a stint lifting weights there. It was his private place, where he worked and worked out. Then he went and made breakfast for five.

Monica came upstairs in sweats. The kids were down, dressed, and ready for a weekend day. The situation was tense.

Monica said - to her three children - "I'm very sorry to have brought problems into the family. I hope you can forgive that, someday."

They stared at her.

Rita said, "Mom, how could you cheat on us? How can we forgive what we don't understand?"

"I'll try to explain, soon. I need to sort it all out in my head."

Emma said, "It's Dad who probably needs an explanation."

They all looked at Tim. "I would like some understanding. Not now, though. The police want you to come see them. Here's Detective Jackson's card."

Monica looked at it. "Do you....did you talk to them?"

"Yes. They wanted to know where I was last night, and all. And whether I knew beforehand that you were involved with Crenshaw. I told them. You were asleep, so they want to see you today."

Monica ate a piece of French toast, and called them. She set up an appointment to see the police at ten am. She left to go downstairs. They heard the shower.

Junior asked Tim, "Are you going to split up?"

"Same answer as last night, Junior."

Emma said, "Do the police think you did it?"

"Dunno what they think. But I didn't do it."

"Okay. Well, that's comforting. Mom seems to think you may have done it."

"That's too bad. She knows I didn't like the guy. He was a jerk. He apparently screwed around with several married women. Maybe that caught up to him."

Monica came upstairs dressed in work clothes, for her police interview. She nodded to them as she walked by.

Emma said, "Knock'em dead, Mom."

Tim shushed her.

MONICA

Monica was in a fog. She was awash with conflicting emotions. She felt guilt for betraying her family, especially the children. She felt fear of her husband, because she thought he might well have killed Donald. She feared for her family, if he did, because he might be taken away. And she feared that he would divorce her, and the kids would be with him.

What she didn't fear, as she drove to the police station, was that they might suspect her. But she was wrong. They did suspect that she might have been involved with the murder.

She was put into a small room with three chairs and a table. She sat there for twenty minutes. Then the detectives came in.

Each looked solemn. Jackson said, "This interview will be recorded, Mrs. Blake. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

You're Monica Blake, and you're married to Timothy Blake, correct?"

"Yes. At least for now."

"You work at the law firm of Bladen and Crenshaw as an associate?"

"Yes."

"How long have you been there?"

"Three years."

"What was the working relationship with Mr. Crenshaw"

"At first, I was just a hired hand. But lately, I had much more responsibility for a major case that he was doing."

"So, lately means what?"

"The last four months."

"And you became intimate with Mr. Crenshaw."

"Yes."

"When?"

"Maybe six weeks ago."

"You know he's married with a family, as are you?"

"Yes."

"What were the arrangements?"

"We at first had sex in his office. It was risky and uncomfortable. So, we went to a downtown hotel. A seedy one where no one we know would go."

"The same hotel?"

"Yes, Elvers Hotel."

"And how often?"

"Every Thursday, when Tim took his long run. And, sometimes other evenings, when we could get away."

"So, how many Thursdays?"

"Five."

"How many other evenings?"

"Maybe five."

"No weekends?"

"No. Weekends were for family."

"You hid this affair from your husband?"

"Yes. I tried."

"But did you suspect he might have known?"

"No. Never. I would have stopped if I did. I wasn't in love with Donald, and the sex was average at best."

"Why, then?"

"We got close from work. It - the sex - added some....zest to our days of hard work. Like a secret we knew and no one else did."

"You know, office staff informed us of the affair."

"No. No, I thought we were quite discrete."

"Did Mr. Crenshaw express worry that his wife could find out about this affair?"

"Not...well, he didn't want her to know. I wouldn't say worry."

Jackson looked at Stevens, who asked, "Do you believe your husband may have killed your lover?"

"I....I...he isn't like that."

"You don't seem so sure."

"Tim is....very smart, and kind. It did occur to me that he could.... Shit, I don't know. He says he didn't. I believe him."

"You do? How's your marriage doing now?"

"On the edge, of course."

"Will you have more responsibilities at work now that Mr. Crenshaw is dead? More work on the big case?"

"If I go back. I didn't think about it. But, it seems like I'd have to take over. Damn. You think I..."

"No. Just asked. Let's go over your movements that night. Did you go to the hotel from work?"

"Yes. I ate Subway at my desk, with Donald. Then we each drove."

"You parked in a garage. He didn't."

"Yes. He always parked in an alley, and left after me."

"Room number?"

"410. Same one every night - every Thursday. We had a reservation, and key cards."

"How long did you spend in the room that night?"

Monica blushed. "Two hours or so. I left after nine. I went home and showered."

"When did your husband get home?"

"Same time as usual. Around ten."

"Did he seem any different?"

"No. Not at all."

"What happened then?"

"He seemed to want sex. So we had sex. Then we slept."

"Not to be nosy, but, was it unusual for you to have sex with your husband right after having sex with Mr. Crenshaw?"

"No. Not every Thursday. But....three times before then."

"Weren't you worried?"

"The first time. Not after that. The sex was great. I'm ashamed about that, but it's true. Even the first time. Now that I think of it, maybe it wasn't Tim who initiated the sex that night."

Jackson shifted in his seat. He had an erection. He was a bachelor. He briefly wondered if Monica would be free soon.

Stevens asked, "And the night Mr. Crenshaw was killed, was the sex great?"

Monica looked at Stevens, then at Jackson. "Yes. Fantastic." She wasn't blushing anymore.

Jackson shifted again. Monica knew why. She was a woman who was often the object of lust. She had developed a sense of when that happened. And she knew it was happening with Detective Jackson. She kept looking right at him. A small smile played across her face. A knowing smile. Jackson shifted again.

Stevens cleared his throat. "At this time, Mrs. Blake, that's all the questions we have. We may need to talk to you again later."

Monica still looked right at Jackson. "Anytime." She said that softly. With a real smile, just for the detective. Then she got up and left the room.

Stevens looked at Jackson. The tape was off. "What the fuck, Ty?"

"She got to me. You?"

"Not as much as you. Maybe you need a bathroom break. You know you can't tap that now."

demander
demander
1,497 Followers