Cowboy Up

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Audit? What audit?"

"The one you had to work on Saturday for."

"I don't know anything about an audit and nobody has worked on a Saturday in this office in the two years I've been here."

"I guess I'm thinking of something else. Say hi to Burt for me okay?"

As I hung up the phone I was shaking my head and telling myself I should have known better that to take back up with Christine again. If I could have gotten my hands on the voice in my head that kept telling me to "Cowboy up" I would have strangled it to death. I "Cow boyed up" and look what it got me. I was once again left with the impression I couldn't get it done in the bedroom. Alice, Elise, Sarah, Marge, Jackie and now Christine. Fuck it! I'd start using call girls where the only one I'd have to worry about satisfying was me.

I knew a couple of girls who worked for an escort service and I knew that they both provided 'extra services' on dates. Of course making that decision didn't put an end to all the thoughts running through my head. What did I lack? I gave Christine my all and she seemed to have an orgasm or two. Was it just an act? It must have been. What was wrong with me? Maybe if I paid Lois or Tanya (the two girls I knew who were escorts) a little extra they could critique my performance and give me pointers.

Tuesday morning at work I debated calling the Hanover office and asking for Christine, but decided not to. We were done so leave it at that was my thought. Wednesday I spent most of my mornings in budget meetings and when I finally got back to my office Myra (my secretary) handed me a couple of message slips. One of them was from Christine and when I sat down at my desk I picked up the phone to call her. I got the first five numbers punched in before I caught myself and said "Fuck no!" I hung up the phone and threw the message slips in the waste basket. I managed to push Christine to the back of my mind and I had a pretty productive day.

It had been a long established habit with me to turn off my cell phone when I went in to work and only turn it back on once I left work and was in my car. I wasn't surprised to see missed messages and voice mails from Christine. I deleted them without listening to them or reading them. Once home I fixed myself a bite to eat. Jack Thomas was retiring from his position as regional manager and I had been promoted to fill his position. His retirement party was Saturday and I had originally planned on Chris being my date for the affair. Fortunately I hadn't yet asked her.

After eating I called Faraday Escort Services to arrange a date for Jack's party and requested either Lois, or Tanya if possible. Luckily Lois was available and I made the necessary arrangements. A little back story is in order here. Where I am employed there are always social functions to attend. Some you can skip, but the others are more or less mandatory. You could skip them if you wanted to, but it wouldn't be all that great of a career move if you get my drift. There was one of these functions coming up and I wasn't seeing any one at the time. If you attended one of these events alone you stuck out like a sore thumb.

I was talking with Jack Thomas in the breakroom one day and I mentioned that I hated going to those functions alone. He told me about Faraday and explained how it worked and what the fees were. He explained that the place was not a call girl setup and the majority of the girls were strictly arm candy and didn't even give you a kiss on the cheek at the end of the date. Then he said that there were a couple who would provide 'special services' but it was strictly an arrangement between you and the girl and that Faraday was not involved. Then he told me that I was interested in 'special services' (wink wink) I should request Lois, Martha or Tanya.

I called Faraday, requested Lois and took her to the function. When the function was over I mentioned that I'd heard she offered special services. We discussed things and I had a very enjoyable three hours at the cost of only three hundred dollars. I'd used Lois several times and she always handled my needs with a smile. She would only work through the agency, but she did give me her card so I could call her and make sure she was available before I called the agency. One day I called and she told me that she wouldn't be available for the night in question, but to call the agency and request Tanya and she would let Tanya know about me. For almost a year I used the two of them when I needed (or wanted) a date. Then I used them between Marge and Sarah and then again when I was between Sarah and Jackie. Now here I was taking Lois to Jack's retirement party. The irony of the situation was not lost on me. Here I was taking a girl recommended by Jack years ago to his retirement party.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Over the week I received several calls from Christine, but I didn't take any of them. Thursday and Friday I hid out in my favorite sports bar after work. It was a place I'd never taken Christine to so I didn't have to worry about her finding me. If she was even looking. That didn't work out to well for me. Friday I'd been there about an hour and I was sitting at the bar watching the Arizona Diamondbacks playing the Colorado Rockies when something cold and wet was poured on my head and ran down my back. I spun around with fists clenched ready to punch some asshole out and came face to face with Christine's roommates Brenda and Maria. The bartender had seen what happened and he tossed me a bar towel. I unclenched my fists and caught it and then screamed at the two cunts:

"What the fuck is your problem! Why in hell did you do that?"

"Because you're an asshole and you deserve it" Brenda snarled.

"Fucking dirt bag!' Maria chimed in.

"What the hell did I ever do to you to earn this?"

Brenda, still snarling, said "You fucked over our bud Chris and when you fuck with her you are fucking with us!"

"And just how did I do that?"

"Had your way with her and then kicked her to the curb."

"Bullshit! She kicked me to the curb. When I asked to see her again she gave me some bullshit story about having to work on Saturday and having a baby shower to go to on Sunday. She forgot that I work for the same company and I knew she was lying. Just to be sure I double checked and no one worked in that office from the time it closed on Friday until it opened on the following Monday."

That was stretching the truth a bit, but they didn't know it. Brenda looked at Maria who said "Oh shit" and the two of them took off. Once they were gone Max (the bartender) asked me what the hell happened.

"Friends of a girl I used to date. They were upset because I dumped their friend."

I finished my drink and went home to get out of my wet clothes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Saturday I picked up Lois and on the drive to where Jack's retirement party was being held I sounded her out on the critiquing my performance in bed idea I'd had and she laughed.

"As often as we've gotten together I know you as well as I'm ever going to and I can tell you nothing is wrong with you in the bedroom. Are you a super stud? No, but you are a good bit above average. I don't know what your problem is with the ladies, but it certainly isn't your bedroom skills."

It was good to hear, but then it occurred to me I was talking to the wrong person. I was a customer to Lois and how likely is it that she would say anything to me that I might not like to hear? Something to think about.

I was having a good time at the party until she walked in. Why I hadn't considered she would be at Jack's party I don't know. She knew Jack so why wouldn't she be at his party? She was with some guy I'd never seen before, but I took an instant dislike to him. How stupid is that? I shut Christine out, but get pissed at the guy she's with? I saw her spot me and head my way, but just then Lois returned from the restroom, sat down across from me and took my hand. Christine changed direction and took a table on the other side of the room.

The lounge where the party was being held had a band and Lois liked to dance so we spent a good bit of time on the floor. Every time we danced past Christine's table I saw she was looking at us. Lois noticed it also.

"That woman in the green dress hasn't taken her eyes off you since she got here. What gives?"

"I dated her for a while."

"Well it is obvious, at least to me that she would rather be out here with you than sitting with the guy she is with. And the look on your face when you look in her direction tells me that you would rather be with her than me."

"I very much doubt that she would rather be with me. The way she ended us was as definite as could be."

"Oh? Tell me."

"It is kind of personal."

"Horse hockey bubba. Talk to Dr. Lois. If you can talk to me about your sexual problems you can talk to me about anything."

What the hell I thought; why not so I told her about the last time I'd seen Chris.

"There has to be more to it than that. Come on; give it up."

I sucked it up and spilled my guts. All of it. High school. College, and what Christine told me about her past boyfriends and then her "See if we have a future" comment and then what had happened after we made love for the first time.

"So that's why you wanted me to critique your performance/"

I nodded a yes.

"I meant what I said bubba; that was no bullshit. Come on; let's dance."

We stayed out on the floor for three numbers and then went back to our table. A couple of minutes after we sat down Jack joined us and we talked. Lois excused herself and headed for the restroom. Jack watched her walk away and shook his head.

"What a waste" he said.

"How's that" I asked.

"She should be some lucky man's wife instead of a rent-a-date."

"Wouldn't work out."

"What wouldn't work out?"

"Lois and marriage."

"Why would you say something like that?"

"I asked her to marry me a while back and she laughed at me and told me it wouldn't work out and why."

"And?"

"She said she liked cock too much. She loved the variety and would miss it if she got married. Said she knew herself well enough to know that when she got to missing the variety she would end up cheating on her husband. Got to give her credit for being up front and honest."

"What happened with you and Chris? It looked like you guys had something going."

"It turned out we weren't right for each other."

I could see he wanted more, but he could see I wasn't willing to go there. Just then Lois came back and after some small talk Jack got up and went to talk to some other folks. As soon as he was gone Lois said;

"Don't get too pissed at me, but I meddled in your business."

"What are you talking about?"

"When I got up to go to the bathroom it was because I saw your ex-girlfriend headed there. I followed her and we talked. I think the two of you need to sit down and have a talk. She says she wants to, but you won't answer her calls. After talking to her I think you have the wrong idea of what went down."

I looked over at Christine's table and saw she was looking at us. I saw her mouth the word "Please?"

"You could get up and go over and asked her to dance. The guy she is with is only with her as a favor because she didn't want to come to this affair alone."

"Why would you even talk to her?"

"You are one of the few guys I've dated that I genuinely like and I saw the way you looked at her. If there was the least bit of a chance that I could get the two of you together I felt I should do it."

I looked over at Chris and saw that she was still looking at us. I was hesitant, but once again from the deep recesses of my mind the voice yelled "Cowboy up dipshit! Don't let her get away."

I glanced at Lois and she said "Go!" I got up and walked over to where Chris and her date were sitting. When I got there I asked her date if he would mind if I asked Chris for a dance. He smiled at me and said:

"If I were to say yes I believe she would hurt me."

Chris was standing before he finished speaking. I offered her my arm and we moved out onto the dance floor. As I took her in my arms she asked:

"Does this mean we might be able to sit down and talk?"

"Lois said she talked to you in the ladies room and thinks I may have the wrong idea of what happened between me and you."

"I have to admit that I'm curious as to why your date would come to me and want to talk."

"Lois is an old friend and when she asked why you seemed to have had your eyes on me since you got here I told her the story. Lois is only here with me tonight because I hate to come to these things alone."

"Kind of like me and Jeff tonight. Well?"

"Not tonight. How about dinner tomorrow?"

"Why not tonight?"

"Because we both have dates. We can't just walk away from them."

"You take your date home and when Jeff takes me home I'll come over to your place. I've got my license back and I have a car now."

I almost said no. As much as I would like to get back with Chris I hadn't been laid in over a month and I had been looking forward to taking advantage of Lois's 'special services.' And there was also the fact that even if Lois thought I'd misread what had happened between Chris and me I just might have read it right. Fuck it! Go with the voice and cowboy up!

We finished the dance and as I walked her back to her date I told her I would leave the porch light on for her. When we got back to her table we found a surprise. Lois and Jeff were sitting there talking. Lois looked up when we got there and said:

"Guess what guys? You've both been dumped. Jeff and I have decided to swap partners and I'm betting that neither of you mind the least little bit."

Then the two of them got up and left us standing there with stunned looks on both of our faces. Chris and I looked at each other and then we both broke out laughing. I took her hand and suggested that we find Jack and say our goodbyes and then get the hell out of there. We found Jack, wished him well and told him to keep in touch. He looked from me to Chris and then back at me and said:

"Make sure I get an invitation to the wedding."

I was a bit shocked when Chris said "We will."

Once in the car I said "We will?"

"That's my plan and I think I can talk you into it."

"You will have your work cut out for you if you think you can make that happen."

"I don't think it will be all that hard. All I need to do is show you that you have the wrong idea of what happened the last time we were together."

"And just how would you know what I was thinking?"

"Oh come on Dave. You told me your whole history with women. When you found out I didn't tell you the truth on why I said no to a date on Saturday and Sunday I know what you thought. I remembered how you reacted to my stupid funny about seeing if we had a future together. When you found out that I didn't have to work on that Saturday I know you were thinking you didn't measure up as far as I was concerned. That wasn't so. I was extremely satisfied. While you and I had been dating we hadn't talked about being exclusive. I was dating another guy off and on while I was going out with you. I had a date with him for Saturday and I didn't feel that I could break it. He had already purchased the tickets for the show and it wouldn't have been fair to him to suddenly say sorry but I can't see you anymore. If he hadn't already bought the tickets I would have cancelled our date so I could be with you on Saturday. I had to lie about it. I just knew how you would take it if I told you I was going out with another guy right after we had made love. I really really wanted to stay there and snuggle and maybe make love a couple more times, but I had to get up and rush off in order to sell the story that I had to go to work. I did tell Chuck that I couldn't see him anymore when he took me home that night.

"The baby shower was true and I couldn't get of it because I was the one putting it on. I really did expect you to call me Monday night. After the way you rang my chimes Friday night I was going to push for exclusive and mention that I'd seen the perfect ring at Zales. I was all set to come over to your place and pick up where we left off Friday night and Saturday morning. When I hadn't heard from you by Tuesday I started calling you but you never called back. Then Friday Brenda and Maria told me what happened at the sports bar. I knew you would be at Jack's party and I planned on forcing you to talk to me. I was going to wait until you went to the bathroom and then I was going to follow you and wait outside and catch you coming out. Your date changed that."

When we approached the light at Woodward I turned on the turn signal for a right turn and Chris asked me where I was going.

"To your place."

I don't want to go to my place; I want to go to yours."

I checked my rear view and side view mirrors and saw I was clear so I changed lanes and turned left on Woodward. Chris slid over next to me, put her hand on the bulge in my trousers and said:

"No need to break the speed limit, but hurry up and get us to your place. We have some catching up to do."

The night was almost an exact reenactment of our first time and we fell asleep snuggled up next to each other.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I woke up with my dick in Christine's hand which led to more love making. Around nine Chris said "I wouldn't mind doing this all day, but right now I'm hungry. You need to feed me so I can keep my energy level up."

I hadn't done my shopping yet and all I had on hand were the makings for toast and coffee so I told her I'd take her to the Village Inn on Wolfenbarger. Over breakfast we talked and even though it would probably kill the mood we'd been in since we got to my place the previous night I had to ask the question.

"If you were already planning to marry me why were you dating another guy while you were dating me?"

She looked at me for several seconds and then said "I really hadn't realized how strong my attachment to you was until you stopped having anything to do with me. It was killing me that I couldn't be with you. It was killing me that you wouldn't even take my calls. In fact it affected me to the point where I was being bitchy to Brenda and Marie and I'd never ever been that way around them before. When they got home after the incident at The Extra Point and told me about it I knew I had to do something. If I couldn't get you on the phone I was just going to have to ambush you at Jack's party. If you hadn't been there I would have been sitting in your office waiting for you on Monday."

I sat there looking at her while rolling what she'd said around in my head and then I followed the voice in my head and cowboyed up.

"How long of a courtship are you looking at before the wedding?"

"That up to you. I know your background and because of all that baggage I'm guessing you aren't going to want to rush into anything. I'm ready right now. As far as I'm concerned we can get the license Monday morning, get the three day waiting period out of the way and get married on Friday. So like I said; it is strictly up to you."

It was a bit sudden but I had already realized that my feeling for Chris were a lot stronger than just 'like' but we hadn't known each other for more than a couple of months and there was a lot we didn't know about each other so I took a deep breath and said:

"I think we should take it a bit slow and get to know a bit more about each other before we take the plunge."

I thought I saw some of the warmth leave her smile when I said that, but I could have been wrong.

"Like I said, it is up to you, but I am ready whenever you are."

After breakfast we went back to my place and picked up where we had left off before getting out of bed. She stayed the night Sunday and then had to rush home in the morning to get ready to go to work.