D.W.

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sabrina, on the other hand, got a sad look on her face as he walked away. She was relieved that he hadn't argued further, but was sad at the same time that he had walked away. The group of workers didn't seem to notice.... Except Charley.

Friday

A sticky swish sound was all that Sabrina could hear in the house as she painstakingly brushed paint carefully around the windows, doors and outlets in the living room of Doug's house. Charley worked in the same room using a paint roller on the walls, the source of the sound, while somewhere in the kitchen Angela Porter and Jim Hampton were engaged in the same job. 'I should have brought a CD player and some music,' Brie thought. 'It would have been a lot better than having all these random thoughts going through my head.'

She had been so sure of herself when she had gotten there a week earlier. It had seemed like an easy task. Find Doug, get him to pack his stuff, and make sure he walked across the stage to get his diploma. She knew how he felt about Roman, and she thought she might even offer to let him stay at her apartment to provide him the escape he needed. If they were living together, maybe she could move their relationship forward a little. Of course, if she did, then he would have to move out again, but she was certain that she could find a place for him.

But here she was a week later and she had been so busy that she had forgotten about the graduation ceremony and hadn't done anything toward persuading him to attend. Plus, she had deigned to work for him. How difficult was that going to be, seeing him every day and not being able to move their relationship further? If she had had him move in to her apartment, it would have been hard, but she could have tried to change things in her favor. But working for him, she would have to keep everything on a professional level.

The sticky swish sound stopped and Brie looked over to see Charley gathering more paint on the roller in the pan. She looked up and their eyes met briefly. "I'm sorry, Sabrina."

"For what?" she asked curiously.

"For high school and all the things I said yesterday"

"Don't worry about it," Sabrina brushed it aside. "Water under the bridge, as they say."

"But it was so mean. Especially considering."

"Considering what?"

"I know."

"Know what?"

"I saw how you looked last night."

"How I looked?"

"Yes. It told me exactly what is going on. So I know."

"Again, you know what?"

"About you and Mr. Wheeler."

"What about us? He told you flat out that nothing is going on between us. Weren't you listening?"

"Yes, and I'm sure that's true. But you want there to be."

"Excuse me?!"

"Don't get mad. I don't mean that you just want to have fun with him. I could see it in your eyes last night when the two of you were arguing about the pink paint thing. You love him."

Brie's jaw dropped. "Charley, we grew up together. He's almost like my brother."

"But he's not. You can hide it from others, but not me, Brie. I spent too much time studying you through high school so I could do all those things to you. I know you better than just about anyone one else does. You love him and it's as plain as the nose on your face."

"Tell me you didn't just say I have a big nose."

"That's not what I said at all, and you know it. Now, the question is, how do we get the boss to notice you and get ideas about you."

"We don't. Now drop it, will you?"

"Drop what?" asked Angela as she entered the room.

"She was just apologizing for the way she treated me in high school," Brie answered.

"She doesn't want to remember that time because I did my best to make it a living hell," Charley interjected.

"You didn't succeed," Brie rushed in. It seemed that she had been successful in changing the subject away from her lack of involvement with Doug. "That's why I'm saying drop it."

"Are you going to be moving here?" Charley asked.

"Yes. I'm Doug's personal assistant."

"I thought you were working for Mr. Branham."

"That was before. I didn't even know Doug owned the company then."

"Then I'm moving too," Charley announced.

"Why?"

"Because I have a lot to make up for and I can't do that if I'm not where you are. I'll help with whatever you want me to." Her raised eyebrows suggested at helping with the boss as well as any other possible problems.

Brie looked at her and shook her head slightly. "What about you, Angie?" she asked, again changing the subject. "Are you going to move here or are you going stay back at the other place?"

"I don't know," she answered. "I'll have to give it some thought."

"Translation: she has to talk it over with Bill," Charley teased. Angela's face grew hot and she turned back toward the kitchen again.

"Hey Jim," Brie yelled. "Are staying back home or moving here?"

" I don't think my girlfriend would like it much if I moved. It's not like she could come here with me so I'll stay there.

It was mid-afternoon when the paneling for the home office arrived. Sabrina had made arrangements with a contractor to install it the following week. So she signed for the delivery and had them stack it in the room.

"I got a question, Brie," Charley said looking confused. "Why do you think the boss would have you do all this stuff for his house?"

"I don't know. Maybe he thinks that I would have better decorative sense then he does. Which is probably true."

"Maybe. But I'm not sure that's all there is to it. I think there could be more."

"Don't go there, Charley. He hasn't ever given any indication that that kind of thing is even remotely on his mind."

"I was thinking that he didn't trust you to do the stuff at the warehouse, but now that you mention it, it's possible that the other could be true. You haven't told him about how you feel. Maybe he's the same way and hasn't told you."

"If either of those are true, it would be the trust issue. Don't go grasping at straws on the other. I just don't see it happening. Now, let's get back downstairs with the others and finish as much of the painting as we can."

At the warehouse, Doug was busy with the other workers. He had split up the workforce in order to get things done quicker. He had asked for volunteers for which way to split them up, but had assigned the house detail to Sabrina. Part of that decision had to do with the fact that she didn't know what had to be done at the warehouse. He had already learned the art of jumping through hoops to meet government requirements and was seeing to the problems that arose, but the greater reason that he wanted her at the house had to do with the fact that he wanted her to have the charge of the place. If he were right and things worked out the way he hoped, she would be living there someday, and he wanted to be sure that she was comfortable there.

He and Bill were busy cutting up boxes and labeling the different pieces to use as signs until the more permanent ones were made and installed in a couple of weeks. As they worked, Doug tried to figure who might be willing to move and who would insist on staying at the original place. He, of course, was moving, and Sabrina had already stated that she would move as well. That made him extremely happy. The thing was, he had plans that didn't have her working as his personal assistant, although he was going to let her hire whoever ended up doing so. Bruce Schuster would be moving. He had accepted the move before everyone except Doug himself as he was going to be taking charge of the maintenance department and he was already hard at work setting up his area.

The rest were unknown factors. Charley West would most likely not move because of the animosity that had been going on between her and Brie. Denise Wilson, who was at that moment in the field taking care of a customer's lawn, might be too young yet to feel comfortable moving to a place on her own, and Jim Hampton, he knew, had a girlfriend that couldn't move so he probably wouldn't either.

That left Bill Farrington and Angela Porter. There was no indication which way either of them were leaning. He might have to look at some other of his workers to see if he could get some there so that he would have enough to train new personnel.

"Bill?" he interrupted his musings. "Have you thought any about moving here?"

"I don't know, Doug. I have to think on it a bit and talk it over."

"If possible, I'd sure appreciate it. I'd like you to take over the shipping and receiving department. It'd be a lot of hard work at first since you wouldn't have a lot of people to help, but I think you would be good at it and I know I can trust you. Talk it over with Angela and see what she thinks. I could sure use you here."

Bill thought for a few seconds before answering. "Tell you what, Doug. If I don't move here, I'll come and help you get everything in order at least.'

"Thanks. That will be a great help." He started to turn away then turned back. "Hey, Bill. Tomorrow is my graduation. Will you go to it? I know Brie will want to attend, but I would like you to be there too."

"Sure thing, Doug. Want me to check with the others to see if they want to go?"

"I don't know that that is necessary. I suppose if they want to, it's okay, but I don't really think of it as a big deal. In fact, I wasn't going to go at all myself except Brie was mad at me for not doing so. By the way, keep it on the down low. She doesn't know that I'm going to do it yet. I'll be letting her know tomorrow morning."

"You got it, boss."

During lunch, Doug went off alone. He returned to the warehouse five minutes late with a sack of food in hand, obviously having used the hour for something other than lunch. His new suit hung in the car, but that would not have taken the whole hour to retrieve. No other indication of where he went was visible.

Set up work continued until ten minutes before five-o-clock when everyone returned to the warehouse. There was still a lot of work to get finished, but it was going to have to wait until the next week.

"Listen up, gang!" Doug called out. The group went silent. "The trucks you came here in are staying here. If you were assigned as a driver, please see Bruce to turn in the log and keys. Tomorrow morning, Ms. Townsend and I will be in the front of your motel at ten-o-clock to give a ride back to our flagship warehouse. I won't have a lot of time to wait around, so please be ready on time."

With that, the work week came to a close.

Saturday.

It was Eight-thirty when the knock came on Sabrina's door. She was dressed in jeans and t-shirt, ready for the three hour drive back to her apartment where she would have to start getting things ready for her move. She would have three other people in her car as well that she needed to drop off at the old warehouse before meeting her mother at her apartment.

When she opened the door, it was to find that Doug stood there in the new suit he had purchased on Monday. "I thought we were done here till next week," she intoned questioningly.

"We are," he answered.

"Then why the suit?"

"Graduation."

"You're going?" she asked with a shocked smile on her face.

"I'm going," he answered. "I don't think it's such a big deal, but I'm doing it anyway."

Brie flung herself at him and hugged him tight. She stopped herself just in time from kissing him on the mouth and even once she had him in the hug had to fight the urge to start kissing his neck. "Wait here," she ordered. "I'll only take a few minutes to change into something nicer."

"You don't need to do that, Brie," he called to her as he held the door open while she walked back towards her recently bought luggage.

"You're dressed up, I'm going to be dressed up."

"But I'm dressed up because I have to walk across the stupid stage. You'll be in the audience so it doesn't matter how you dress."

"Since you'll be wearing a graduation gown over it, people won't be seeing your nice suit, but you're still wearing it. I'm going to dress nicely too. Now let that door shut. I'll be right out."

Doug let the door shut and leaned against the wall next to it looking up and down the hallway. In truth, he would much prefer her to be a little more dressy for the ceremony. It wasn't like anyone else would even be there for him except Bill and perhaps Angela, and they sure wouldn't be dressed up. Ten minutes later, Sabrina once again opened the door to her room and stepped through to the corridor. His eyes bugged out as he took in the sight of the dark haired beauty in a dark blue dress. "Breakfast?" Doug suggested after composing himself. She nodded in agreement as a smile lit her face.

The cars pulled up in front of the motel where six people with baggage waited. It didn't take long for the trunks to be loaded down, and the people to enter the vehicles. Bill sat in the back of Doug's car with Angela next to him, while Bruce was in the front passenger seat. Charlie claimed the front in Sabrina's car and Jim and Denise were in the back.

"You can go straight to the school, Doug," Bill said. "After discussing it last night, we've all decided to go to the graduation ceremony."

"What?" Doug asked. "Why?"

"Why not?" he shot back.

"Bill, you and Angela I know. But everyone else in this group has had no idea that I own this company. There's no deep connection. Bruce. Do you really want to go to this thing?"

"Actually, boss, I do. It's only been a couple of days, but I've already seen how things work with you and I like it. I feel I need to support you." Doug gave in and headed towards the road that would take them back to the area he grew up in and the school he would receive his diploma from in just a few hours.

Charley hurried into the front passenger side of Sabrina's car. "Your dressed up for just a trip home," she said.

"Doug's graduation is today. A week ago he wasn't even going to go to it, but I guess he changed his mind. I'm so looking forward to see him walk across that stage."

"From what I hear, he's doing it for you."

"What? No way. He wouldn't do it for me. There's no reason to."

"That's not what Bill said."

"Yeah, well what would Bill know about it, anyway?"

"The boss asked him if he would go to it, too. Seems the only reason he decided to go to it was because you were upset that he wasn't, so he arranged to go ahead and do it. He even told him to keep a lid on it until he told you he was going."

"Don't tease me, Charley. We were just getting to the point where we could work together."

"I'm not teasing, Sabrina. I'm done with that kind of thing. What I'm saying is the truth. Ask Jim or Denise. They'll tell you."

"She's right, Ms. Townsend," Denise offered. She was the youngest of the group and probably the least likely to lie in this case. Sabrina knew all of the workers as they had been with the company for at least a year and dealing with her on a regular basis as John Branham's assistant. So she had to believe that what Charley was saying was the truth.

"What does that mean?" she asked.

"I think it means he likes you," Charley answered.

"But, that doesn't make sense. We've been at odds with each other all week."

"Have you?"

"What do you mean?"

"He had you do his house. He told us that if we had questions to see either you or him. He said that you and he had sorted out the most of it. You did that together, didn't you?"

"Yeah. We would talk about whether a piece needed to go or not and then we would make a decision on what we..." Brie stopped talking. She thought of the day they had gone through the house taking measurements and looking at the furniture. She remembered how they said "we" when they discussed things. Could it be that he felt for her what she felt for him? "Charley?"

"I know," she replied with a smile. "And here you didn't even see it. I wonder if he did?"

"Doubtful," Brie scoffed. "Men are usually so clueless."

"Yeah, but not always. By the way, you don't have to take us to the warehouse. You can go right to the school since we all elected to go to the ceremony."

At the school, Doug was met by Mrs. Wright. She gave him the cap and gown he was to wear, as well as instructed him on where to go. She gave him orders to contact Kim Wells and Daniel Young to find out what he would need to do during the program. They would go over everything with him quickly since he had not made it to any of the rehearsals, and keep him in the right place during the ceremony. Once that was done, she informed the others in the group where they could find seating before dragging Sabrina off to talk with her.

"Sabrina, he's the owner of D.W. Landscaping," Mrs Wright announced quietly.

"I know," the young woman admitted.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know. I thought since he kept it a secret all these years, I probably shouldn't go around spilling the beans."

"All these years? How many years?"

"From what I gather, he's been working at it since he was eight years old."

"And you never told anyone about it?"

"I didn't know. I just found out last weekend."

"My goodness. Why on earth would he want it kept secret?"

"That's rather complicated. And I don't think I better let that out of the bag either. Mrs. Wright, I know the others have to sit in the general seating, but are there special seats for the graduates' family?"

"Yes dear. Are your parents coming?"

"They'll be here. I called mom and told her about it while we were on the way here. I also called Doug's business partner and he and his wife are coming as well."

The ceremony went as those things usually do. A procession into the auditorium followed by a commencement speaker, valedictorian, and salutatorian speeches. Each speaker encouraged the class to "Follow their dreams." The student speakers detailed their gratitude for their family's support. Doug sat uncomfortably and listened to how parents assisted them in accomplishing their educational goals and how much their continued support was to be appreciated.

He had had no such experience. The only one to give him any help, any support, was Sabrina. He felt a bit of bitterness rise up. He knew it wouldn't have been that way if his mother had lived, but he had had the Townsends as guardians and they could have been there for him and weren't. Only Sabrina. Only the one he loved.

It didn't matter, he told himself. He was accomplishing his goals without that support. By the time that he was walking across the stage to accept his diploma, he had settled down and felt only gladness that it was near the end. There was the usual clapping and cheering as each student's name was called, and he figured that when his was called, it would be very subdued. He was wrong. Somehow, word had gotten out that he kept his grades up while running a business. They had no idea that he had had a lot of help from John Branham with that business, and it seemed that the cheering and clapping was louder than any other of the students, a fact that him very confused.

When Doug exited the school and walked down the steps, he got another surprise. Near the bottom of the steps, waiting on him, were Sabrina and all six of the workers they had brought as expected. But he hadn't expected his partner, John Branham, and his wife, Ivey to be there. Nor had he planned for Roman and Brenda Townsend to attend. What were they all doing there? He could understand Sabrina calling her mother and letting her know what was going on. He could understand her telling John. And though he could understand John and his wife being there, he couldn't understand either Roman or Brenda.

Sabrina walked toward him and wrapped him in a hug. This time, she did kiss his neck. "Feels good to walk across that stage, doesn't it?"

"Not particularly," he answered. "What are your parents doing here?"

"Oh, come on. All that cheering they did for you didn't feel good?"