Daisies in July

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's right. Don has some doctor's appointment for a physical and is gone all day. I decided to walk over and see if his beautiful cousin was around."

With a wicked tease I answered, "I haven't seen her anywhere, but I'm here."

He laughed but slowly looked me up and down. "That's great. I'll always settle for the more beautiful one."

"Did you have something in mind? Or are you just out walking?"

"Oh, I could definitely get something in mind but I wouldn't want you to throw me out. Seriously, I just wanted to get to know you a little better and decided to see if you weren't too busy. Or if you are, maybe I can help with whatever it is that has you busy."

I shook my head and finally answered, "Nothing that can't wait. Say, did you walk the three miles around the road?"

"Sure. Three miles isn't that far. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking. Why, is there another way?"

"Actually, there is. Cross country it's less than half that far. I can show you if you'd like."

"That would be nice. Make it easier the next time I come by to harass you."

To myself I thought "Harass away," but I said, "Look, it's only ten thirty now, but why don't we pack a picnic lunch and I can show you around the place a little and point out the short way back."

"Thanks, I'd like that."

We went inside and I pulled out my day pack and we found some stuff in the kitchen to make an easy lunch. I took a couple of water bottles and a couple of lemonade and stuffed them into the pack. "OK, let me go put on some better shoes." Dan had on hiking boots but I had been wearing an old pair of nearly worn out sneakers. "I'll be right back." I went to my room and in about three minutes I had changed into my own hiking boots. I also replaced the dirty jeans I had been wearing with a pair of short cutoffs as well as putting on a clean tee shirt.

I came back into the kitchen and said, "Let me get the pack and we can go."

"I've already got the pack," Dan replied. I looked and he had shouldered it already.

We went out the back and started up the path towards the woods. I hadn't really thought exactly where to take him, but suddenly I knew it would be the valley. As we climbed into the hills I noticed that Dan seemed to be in quite good shape. He must have done a lot of walking or something because he was hardly breathing any faster as we climbed even though we carried on a conversation while we moved.

There were a couple of stream crossings - only a foot or two wide - but he reached to take my hand as I stepped across. And twice he moved in front of me to clear spider webs before I walked into them. He was obviously at home in the woods and just as obviously was naturally polite.

We emerged from the woods and stopped to look at the flat valley floor. I swept my hand across the view and said, "Daisies."

Dan laughed and replied, "I see you are as good at understatement as your cousin." Then in a more serious tone, "They are really very lovely, aren't they?"

"Yes, I've always loved seeing them here. Come on, there is a good picnic place over there by the stream."

We moved to where we could sit on the bank a few feet above the tumbling water, our legs dangling over the edge. For the next half hour we sat side by side, just talking. I should say just talking and admiring the waving sea of white and yellow blossoms surrounding us.

Dan asked a bit about my interest in computers and we soon were involved in some discussion of technical areas. I found him quite knowledgeable and I could see he found me the same way. We seemed to be getting along quite well.

The topics switched to other subjects. We found we both liked camping, hiking, and backpacking. We both enjoyed reading and liked science fiction among other types. Dan surprised me by admitting an interest in historical romances and I surprised him with my interest in adventure stories.

He mentioned Don's comment about my shooting ability and I admitted I had been using a twenty-two since I could walk. Under supervision, of course, until I was ten or twelve or so. Nothing unusual about that in this part of the country. He had a similar background. Neither of us were hunters but enjoyed plinking and target shooting.

I hadn't been paying attention to the time when I happened to notice my watch. "It's nearly two!" I exclaimed.

"In a hurry to go somewhere?" Dan asked.

"No. Just surprised I didn't realize it was past lunch time. Aren't you hungry?"

"I hadn't noticed but now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind eating a little."

"Same here." We pulled things from the pack and, still sitting on the stream bank, proceeded to eat the assortment of things we had brought.

Afterwards we again just sat there and talked. It was surprising how comfortable our relationship was, having known each other for such a short time. I was also finding I would like to get to know this guy quite a bit better. At least I thought so.

We stayed in the valley until nearly six, but at last we stuffed things back into the pack and I showed Dan the trail out of the other end of the valley. There we climbed to the top of a ridge, down the other side and then up a second one. From the top of that one I could point out the trail he would need to take to get back to Don's house.

I took my pack back from Dan. As I was putting it on he said, "Lisa, thanks for taking the time today. It's been wonderful. Look, next week is the fourth of July. Could I take you somewhere to watch fireworks or something?"

I smiled up at him. "I'd love that. Why don't you come over and meet me where we had lunch. Come about eleven and I'll pack a picnic for us. Then later we can go down and take my car. There's usually a pretty good show over in Johnson Creek." Then I added, "That is, if you don't have plans with Don and his family."

He laughed. "I don't think they're planning anything special, but even if they were I'd just tell them that I wanted to spend time with the more beautiful cousin instead." He reached out and took both of my hands in his. "Lisa, I really like you."

"I really like you, too, Dan." Then I surprised both of us by pulling him down and placing a kiss on his lips. Just a few seconds but it definitely affected us both.

On the fourth I woke early and spent an unusual amount of time on getting ready. I normally kept my hair clean and so on but that morning I washed it and brushed it enough to make it really shine. I have fairly light blonde hair and I wore it down below my shoulders. Going out into the woods I usually put it in a pony tail but that morning I just added a velvet ribbon high up and let it hang free. I usually either wore no makeup or very little. I still didn't apply much but I made sure what little I did put on was as near perfect as I could make it. It promised to be a hot day and I chose to look the "country girl," wearing short cutoffs and a shirt with the tails tied to reveal a few inches of bare stomach. It had been over a year since I had felt this excited about a date. While I was examining myself in the mirror I suddenly realized how good it felt.

As I stood there I could almost hear my mother's voice saying, "The good things will come again. Enjoy them whenever you can." I felt my throat tighten a little and just a drop of moisture fill my eyes. But then I gave my eyes a quick wipe, my throat relaxed and a smile came back to my face. In a whisper, but still out loud, I said, "I will, Mom."

I had promised a picnic but this one wouldn't be tuna sandwiches. No, I had bought some cooked shrimp and baked some chicken breasts. Both of these were chilled and I packed them in an insulated bag. I added some small carrots, celery sticks, cheese and crusty French bread. Two pears and some chocolate mints completed the meal. I was too young to buy wine although I was sure I could have gotten some anyway. However, I had no idea if Dan drank alcohol at all, so I put in a bottle of chilled sparkling grape juice. I suppose I read too many romance novels.

I placed everything in a small backpack along with plastic plates, glasses and tableware. I even included a wet washcloth and a small towel. I tied a rolled cotton blanket to the outside and about ten set out for the valley.

I spread the blanket on the bank above the stream and waited impatiently. About ten of eleven I saw Dan coming down the trail that led to Don's place. I was suddenly no longer impatient - just filled with anticipation.

He saw me and moved directly to where I waited. When he was about five feet from me he brought his hand out with something he had behind his back. I stared at the single long stemmed red rose. A perfect bloom.

One of the things we had discovered rather quickly the previous week was that we could tease each other back and forth and still both enjoy it. Even friendly insults. I stared at the rose and then looked around at the field filled to overflowing with clover and daisies. "Coals to Newcastle?"

Dan laughed and answered, "No. Beauty to the beautiful." God, did he read romance novels, too?

I didn't usually blush this much but Dan was doing something to me and I know I must have turned slightly red, and instead of trying to tease I said simply, "Thank you. It's lovely."

The rose was in one of those little plastic tubes of water that come from the florist so I pushed the tube into the ground beside the blanket.

Then I stood and took Dan's hand. "Thank you again." I quickly stretched up and placed a quick kiss on his cheek.

"You are most welcome." He slowly looked me up and down. "And very lovely."

I smiled a response and then said, "I have some food for us. Are you hungry?"

Looking directly into my eyes, his concentration never wavering, he replied, "Very much so."

My breath caught slightly for a second but then I reached into the pack and began to spread out the food. As I uncovered the chilled shrimp and the small container of dipping sauce, the thick slices of chicken breast and the rest, he just watched in silence. Then I brought out the sparkling juice. The bottle looked like champagne but I saw Dan give a quick glance at the label before he smiled at me and said, "Quite a feast." He looked at the bottle and the two glasses I was holding and asked, "Are you trying to seduce me?"

Was I? No, not really. But, even having known him for such a short time, I did definitely feel romantic towards him. I very deliberately batted my eyes at him and then lowered my gaze. "No." Then a little more quietly but still enough that he could hear, I added, "Not yet."

He laughed and took the bottle from me. As he opened it and poured he said, "Sometime we'll have to do this with real wine." He quickly added, "That is, if you'd like that."

"I have had some and I do like the taste. I'm certainly not a real drinker, but I think I would like that some time."

"I'm glad to hear that. Like you I do like the taste of wine sometimes. But don't get the idea I drink a lot - or even a little. I have never been drunk and I don't intend to ever be."

I smiled at him. "Good. With our interests in computers we're both going to need all the brain cells we have."

We both laughed. He placed the bottle aside and I handed him one of the filled glasses. "What shall we drink to?"

He pretended to look thoughtful for a few seconds and then inquired, "To seduction? No, I think to a beautiful young woman. One I would like to get to know much better."

Much more and I would be ready to drink to seduction. Instead I said, "Then also to a most wonderful young man."

He smiled in acknowledgment and we both raised our glasses and took a small sip.

We ate and talked like old friends. Maybe a little more than friends. I'm sure we both felt an attraction even though we also both knew he would be returning to Ohio in about another week. Again my mom's words came back: "Enjoy them whenever you can." Yes, I certainly would.

When we finished the food we remained sitting on the blanket, just talking. Well, just talking for some time. Then, I think without either of us noticing, I found we were holding hands. It felt good and I did nothing to change things, but before too much longer Dan did. In one of the short silences that come any time two people are talking, we sat, just looking into each other's eyes. Then he slowly began to pull on my hand and as I was pulled nearer, he also moved. Almost in a daze I felt myself moving closer until our lips were less than an inch apart. Here he stopped for a short time. I'm sure it was to give me a chance to back off but I had no intention of doing that. Instead I moved to close the gap and soon our lips were pressed tightly together.

We spent the next several hours kissing and making out. Our clothes stayed on and hands stayed on the outside but there was definite sexual arousal. We also did some of the silly things lover do. Once when we were lying side by side on the blanket I pulled a nearby daisy and used it to tickle Dan's nose until he finally took it away from me. He rolled me onto my back and returned the favor, making me laugh as the soft petals moved gently across my upper lip and then over my bare stomach. Then he stopped and bent forward to kiss each eyelid, my nose, my neck and finally my lips. When that kiss ended he pulled back slightly and then bent to kiss the bare skin between my cutoffs and shirt tails. His tongue spent long seconds swirling around and around my belly button and I found myself breathing in hard, shallow gasps. Later I ran my tongue around the inside of his ear and brought a similar reaction from Dan.

We finally ended our play and made our way back to the house. I put the rose in a vase and then we got into my car and drove over to Johnson Creek where we sat holding hands through a great fireworks display. When I finally drove up to Don's house to drop Dan off it was after eleven.

Before he got out of the car he gave me a very nice kiss. Then he said, "Lisa I would very much like to see you some more before I have to leave."

"How about another picnic? Tuesday?"

"That would be wonderful. Same time?"

"Yes." Then I suddenly added, "And Dan, bring a bathing suit. There's a nice pool in the stream below a little waterfall."

"Great! I said I wanted to see more of you." I'm sure part of the reason I suggested swimming was that I wanted an excuse for him to see me in a bikini. For that matter I wanted to see more of him also.

We had that picnic and swim. I wore a shirt and cutoffs again but under them I had on a very brief bikini. Dan had swimming trunks under his jeans but not the baggy kind most boys wore. These were like the ones popular in my parent's time. More like soccer shorts. After our swim we remained in the suits as we spent the next several hours making out.

Twice more before he left for home Dan and I met in the valley. Each time we spent time in serious kissing but we never went much further. Maybe he didn't try because he knew we would soon have to separate. Maybe I didn't try for the same reason. I know we were both quite turned on but I had to content myself with my vibrator later at night.

Finally the day came when Dan would have to leave. We promised to keep in touch with e-mail and chat, which we did. Dan had graduated high school and that year was attending a community college near his home. He wanted to get the basic courses out of the way at a lower cost. Living at home he had time for a part time job so he could save money for a four year school later.

My acceptance to OSU came and I started looking at what courses I'd need the following year. I also spent a lot of time on my senior year courses. Senior level chemistry, physics and math did require some serious study time although I did get the material relatively easily. There were other activities also. I did date a few boys and even spent a little time parked and making out, but nothing as intense as it had been with Dan. In fact, while such activities were enjoyable, no one really excited me like Dan had.

In November I turned eighteen and was then legally an adult. Now no one could question my living alone. I also then had official title to the property and the other resources my parents had left me but I could still call on my aunt and uncle should the need arise.

My cousin had gone to college and was studying to be a forester. One of West Virginia's main products is wood and scientific management of its forests was an important topic. Besides, I knew he had no interest in moving to a city. Like me, Don loved this part of the country and never planned to move far away. I knew there weren't many computer programming jobs in this area but really hoped something would work out.

In May I graduated from high school. It was a little bitter sweet in that my parents could not see me do so, but I accepted that and all in all managed quite well. My aunt and uncle came, of course, and Don even managed to get home for the event. Dan surprised me by having a single rose delivered to me. There were a few graduation parties and such events and then I again settled down to care for the orchard during the summer. Well, that, and spend more time studying a couple of new programming languages on my own.

In June Dan e-mailed and said he was going to be able to get free for a couple of weeks in July. He thought maybe he could get Don to invite him down again. A few days later he wrote that Don was not going to be there. He had a summer job working with the forest service. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to make it after all.

At first I felt very disappointed. I wondered about asking my aunt and uncle to invite him anyway. Then the thought suddenly struck me. Why not? I e-mailed him back and said, "Don't worry about Don. Come stay with me instead."

We opened a chat. "You mean stay in your house?"

"Sure. Why not?"

"What will your aunt and uncle, or for that matter, other people, think?"

"Who cares? Besides there's no reason anyone would ever know."

"Really, you wouldn't mind?"

"No! Look, Dan, we don't have to sleep together. What's the difference if you sleep a mile away or in the next room? Seriously, please come."

We finally agreed and in the afternoon of one day in the second week of July, Dan's car pulled up outside. I ran outside and we met with a very long kiss. I had missed him more than I had known. I think the feeling was mutual. Well, I know the "feeling" was mutual - I just meant that we both felt the same way.

I showed Dan into the bedroom he would be using. We then moved to the screened porch out back with some iced tea and some chips where we spent the next three hours catching up. I mean e-mail and chat are great but sometimes things get skipped. You can't see expressions in chat and sometimes you miss a topic that should be explored more fully.

Around six I suggested supper and we went into the kitchen. I had a couple of steaks and together we grilled them on the grill out back. I had stuck some potatoes in the oven about an hour earlier so they were ready when the steaks were. That and a bag of salad made the meal.

Afterwards we cleared the dishes and went back out to the porch to talk some more. I think Dan was a little apprehensive about bedtime even though I had made it clear that we had separate rooms. Actually I guess I was a little apprehensive myself. I almost didn't want separate rooms but that would be a very big step, at least for me. I wanted to be very sure the first time.

On the other hand I did not expect to finish my freshman year at college still a virgin. I wasn't going out for the drink and fuck lifestyle by any means but I somehow felt that probably my status would be changed in the next year. Being the practical person I am I had started on the pill that summer. I knew to be sure you should be taking them for a couple of months. Anyway, when the time was right, I wanted to be ready.