Dangerous at Night Pt. 01

Story Info
Sarah Survives a Tragedy.
6.3k words
4.74
4.6k
11

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 05/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dangerous at Night - Part 1 - Sarah Survives a Tragedy

Dear Loyal Readers: Please join me for an extended tale of young Sarah Morrison's adventures in the British Security Service.

Prologue

The London tabloids called her survival miraculous. Helen held the tiny bundle in her arms on the way home from emergency services and grieved for her brother and his wife, who were instantly killed when a lorry collided with their car in dense fog. The baby girl, only six months old, was found unhurt in a field next to the motorway.

"Sarah," she whispered, "God didn't want to take you. I will do my best to be a good aunt and mother."

Chapter One - A Nighttime Foray

Sarah was on her third practice night out. It was her first event with opposition.

The tiny ground floor apartment had an entrance opening on an unlit mews. She was completely clothed in black, her face covered by a mask. A route was plotted to Regent's Park through a maze of alleys, and she moved rapidly to the park. The hour was well past midnight. She worked from one hidden place to another without detection. The park was closed, but she went over a wall with ease and dropped into the shrubbery on the far side. Her visit here last week, on a dismal, dripping night, had been the most fun ever. She had even flitted around a patrolman sitting at his station watching a forbidden television set.

Tonight, the task was to set off one of the kiosk video alarms and elude the pursuit which resulted. She had done a daytime reconnoitre and picked one near the north gate and the Zoo. Her escape route was to stay out of the leafy lanes near the wall, which were armed with motion detectors, until she could take a straight run at a section and bound up and over the top. Things were going swimmingly, with the two patrolmen who had come out of the Hub lagging behind, until she dropped over the wall. Instead of landing on the cobblestoned walk outside, she found herself in the arms of her mentor, Jeremy.

"Nicely done, Sarah. You would have gotten well away if I hadn't guessed the technique you would use tonight."

She struggled in his arms, but he wasn't letting go. "Let me down. You aren't supposed to oppress the recruits."

He leaned against the wall with her still in his arms, which felt fine. She teased, "Are you going to kiss me? Are we just on a late night date?"

He growled, "I have a hot girlfriend, which you know very well, and am going to marry her in the summer. I can't be kissing any old female who leaps over the wall with stolen property."

Sarah did know Carrie and liked her a lot. "Your Carrie is a great woman, but kiss me anyway. Go home and confess and say I grabbed your head and planted my lips on you and..."

It was not a peck. It was warm and wet and lasted several seconds. Then she was gone, dashing down the street in the dark, back to her little apartment.

Chapter Two - Excitement at School

Helen and her husband, William Morrison, adopted little Sarah as soon as the authorities permitted it. They had their own daughter, Mary, who was three years old and loved little Sarah, who became Sarah Morrison. It was never explained how she was unharmed in the field next to the accident, but Helen was religious and attributed it to divine intervention.

Once they were in school, Mary and Sarah saw less of each other, playing with their age group friends. So, it didn't show too much that Mary was on the slow side, and Sarah was incredibly bright. But a few bullying incidents at school taught Sarah that it was not a good idea to be smart in front of others, so she adapted by becoming deferential to everyone, and always offering to help with chores before others. Helen went out of her way to be kind to the little girl, and one day after Sarah cleaned up a terrible mess in the kitchen from making a birthday cake for Mary, she nicknamed her the Adorable Mouse. The name stuck, and from then on, through all of her school days, Sarah was known as Mouse, or AM for short.

One morning, the year she was fourteen, Sarah was called to the headmaster's office during recess. This was not according to Sarah's notions of being invisible, and she was worried. The headmaster, whose name was Nathan Auerbach, invited her to sit in the chair across from his desk. On one side was her English teacher, Miss Carolyn Anthony, and on the other side a gentleman she did not recognize. Her anxiety only increased when she was introduced and discovered he was the Deputy Superintendent of all the schools in the surrounding district of north London.

Nathan had only spoken to Sarah once or twice in the whole five years she had attended his school. "Young Sarah," he spoke firmly, staring directly into her frightened eyes, "I am afraid there is no easy way to say this. You have been found out!"

Sarah was desperately thinking of disappearing down a rabbit hole, like Alice, when Miss Anthony pressed on her arm, "He is teasing!"

"Nathan," she said, "the poor girl is frightened to death. Please be kind."

From that moment on, life improved dramatically. The Headmaster said, "I am sorry to be so dramatic. I didn't mean to be cruel. The reason you are here is that your scores on the last set of systemwide tests were the highest in the school. In any grade."

He paused to let that sink in, and continued, "I've asked your teachers if there is an explanation, if by chance you have found a way to cheat on the tests. They assure me that you were not cheating. They reason that you have been hiding your light under the bushel basket, so to speak, in order to avoid any conflict or bullying with your classmates."

He looked at her carefully, trying to maintain a smile, and waited for an answer. Finally, she looked up at him with a fiercer frown than he had seen on a girl of her age, and said, "Yes, sir. My classmates do not have the desire for learning that I have, so I spend spare time on extra assignments, which I never turn in, and in the British Library Reading Room, which is only a few minutes by Underground."

"My, my, my," the Deputy Superintendent said, "We are failing this student and apparently have for years."

There was a long tense silence, at the end of which Nathan said, "Sarah, would you please excuse us for a minute. There is a seat right outside my door."

Sarah tried to relax, since being found out seemed to be an ok thing. After ten minutes of voices talking loudly behind the Headmaster's door, Miss Anthony came out and sat down next to her.

"Dear Sarah, they are upset and want to find a way that you can have better school opportunities. They are even more upset that we did not recognize your talent sooner. There are several programs for exceptional students. Do you suppose that I could come and visit with you and your parents tonight or tomorrow?"

Thus began a whirlwind of change for young Sarah. The Morrisons, her adopted parents, immediately appreciated what Carolyn was saying and asked how they could help. The other teachers got wind of what had happened and were solicitous and kind. Several evenings after school, she accompanied Carolyn to an imposing house in Knightsbridge, which seemed fit for a king. Carolyn's father, who was a senior academic at the London School of Economics, explained the curious history, in which a loyal aide to Wellington, who stepped in front of the General at the precise moment a bullet arrived, lived to fight again. In gratitude, Wellington had prevailed on the monarch to cede royal land for a house nearby to the hunting preserve known as Hyde Park. Successive generations of the Anthony's had lived and prospered in the dwelling, so much so that Reginald Anthony could devote himself to scholarship without needing funds from employment.

"But," he said to Sarah, "you are not here to hear stories, we must talk about your education and your future." That was the first of many evenings where Sarah's view of the world expanded rapidly.

There was, however, a delightful moment at the end of term. Without telling her why, Carolyn took them shopping for a dress. Two dresses, in fact, since Carolyn decided the event, which she would not describe, required a dress for herself as well. Back at the Knightsbridge home, she took Sarah to her room and demonstrated what makeup and being a grownup woman was all about. Leaving out, of course, certain details about sex that a fourteen year old should not be expected to know.

On the second to last day of school before the term ended, a note was posted in every classroom declaring that there would be an assembly of the whole school at ten the following morning, after which the students were excused until the beginning of the new term.

At nine-thirty the next day, Carolyn appeared at the door of Sarah's classroom and nodded to the teacher, who asked Sarah to please take her things and follow Miss Anthony.

"Sarah, we are going to the teacher's lounge. You are part of the program this morning, and we must change into our good dresses."

In the lounge were two other teachers, smiling and helping with the dresses, the fixing of hair, the application of makeup, the slightest amount of lipstick, and a gorgeous pair of shoes with a bit of platform built in.

One of the teachers leaned down and said, "Sarah, it is a big secret, but also a wonderful surprise. Please concentrate on holding your best smile!"

Carolyn took her hand and they waited patiently until Sarah was sure they were late. A face appeared at the door of the lounge and signaled them to follow. When they got to the assembly room, Sarah was frozen stiff. Carolyn and she were the last to arrive!

"Stand up straight," she was advised. They walked, forever it seemed, through the seats and up to the dais, where a seat was reserved for her right next to the Deputy Superintendent!

The Headmaster began the program with his usual welcome and congratulations to all the students who had worked so hard during the term. He hesitated, creating a silence, and added, "I do not believe I need to dwell on those who might have shown a bit more enthusiasm for their studies?" This created a nervous twitter and panicked looks. Sarah had no trouble smiling, because from her seat above the crowd, it was obvious who the troublemakers were.

She noticed that everyone else appeared to have a program, but she did not. She smiled again, because if this was a fine surprise, there was nothing else to do except smile!

After several recognitions of excellent performance, and two announcements about teachers retiring, the Headmaster turned and resumed his seat. Taking a folded paper from his pocket, the Deputy Superintendent stood and reached for Sarah's hand, drawing the two of them to the podium. As he carefully read his prepared remarks, Sarah felt her world being transformed. His recital of her academic accomplishments was flowery, and surely overstated. His description of her willingness to assist other students with their work, and her kindness when her fellow classmates suffered setbacks, couldn't possibly be all true. She thought, I must stand taller and keep smiling!

Folding the paper back into his pocket, the Deputy Superintendent announced that Sarah Morrison, in recognition of her brilliant studies and personal leadership, had been selected as the first recipient of a full scholarship, which would provide support for her remaining years in the school system as a Regency Scholar, who would be free to create her own course of study!

He leaned down and moved a small box so that Sarah might stand on it and address the assembly, which seemed shellshocked. Nothing like this had ever happened before, and now the Mouse had won the most prestigious imaginable scholarship!

Holding tight to the Deputy's hand, she took a deep breath, realizing the importance of her next words.

"All of you, it is not possible to say how honored I am by this award. The Headmaster and my teachers have kept it a total secret, so I am not able to speak clearly. In fact," she said, "I may cry at any moment!"

She paused, telling herself not to cry, and continued, "I hope that the creation of this scholarship will be an incentive for you to study hard. After all, life will reward us, over many years, for what we know, and how we apply that knowledge to making the world a better place."

Standing down, she hugged the Deputy, and turned to hug the Headmaster, who gave her a gentle kiss on her cheek. The crowd was on its feet, cheering and clapping. The bullies and laggards, whose behavior had been so aptly undermined by her little speech, were sliding toward the exits.

As she reached the bottom of the stairs to the platform, the Morrisons suddenly appeared to gather her in their arms. Helen hugged her tight. "My goodness, Sarah, you are famous!"

It took a long while to reach the outdoors, as Sarah was intent on thanking as many teachers and friends as she could. And then there was a special luncheon, which Carolyn had arranged, where more details of the scholarship were revealed. It turned out that her situation had catalyzed a dormant idea to provide more for gifted students, who frequently were overlooked in the midst of all the other problems the schools had. At the end of the meal, when everyone stood, several of her favorite teachers came up with hugs and whispered thanks for making the school authorities do what should have been done long ago.

Standing tall and walking carefully next to Carolyn, she maintained a fine smile. Carolyn leaned down and said, "Sarah, you are simply glowing! Please enjoy this fine day. My father has asked if you would like to join us for dinner at his club. It is a very nice place and I think you would enjoy the surroundings and the food."

"Miss Anthony, I would very much like to do that. But I must ask the Morrisons if it is alright. I suppose there should be a sleepover?"

When permission was quickly granted, Sarah followed Carolyn to a taxi, where her teacher announced that a second new frock was necessary for a night with the academic high and mighty. They were conveyed to a very fancy shop on Oxford Street, where Carolyn whispered in her ear that they must find something feminine and important looking.

"Sarah, for tonight, we are sisters. You will look older and I will look younger. The men will be confused, which is exactly what we want!"

At seven pm, they descended the stairs in the Knightsbridge house, holding hands and looking very adult, with the new dresses, borrowed jewelry, lipstick, and even perfume!" Sarah had on two inch heels and quivered in every bone.

Carolyn's father, who had been knighted and was known as Sir Reginald, waited at the bottom of the stairs with impressed eyes.

"My goodness, where did these visions of feminine beauty come from?"

They were quickly tucked away in the back seat of an impressive Rolls Royce and delivered to Reginald's club, which had no address sign except a small number.

The rest of the evening was a complete whirl for Sarah. She was introduced as the first Regency Scholar to be named, and made modest curtseys ever so many times. Everyone was a prominent academic and most of them were addressed as Sir. Her hand was shaken so enthusiastically that after a while it simply ached.

The dinner and the attentive service were beyond belief. The head of Reggie's Economics Department joined them at table and was touched by Sarah's quick answers and direct gaze.

"Young Sarah," he said, "your talent and enthusiasm will serve you well. When the time comes, it would be a delight to have you as a student in our department. Reginald tells me you will have freedom to build a curriculum for your final years. Savor his advice, but be sure to follow your own instincts."

Later, brushing teeth with Carolyn, wearing a borrowed nighty that was short on Carolyn and long on her, Sarah was asleep on her feet. "Oh dear, this has been such an exciting day. Do you suppose I could cuddle in your bed?"

The sisters slept together and woke up smiling. Carolyn whispered in Sarah's ear, still warming her backside, "Yesterday was such fun! All those important people shaking your hand. And now you must decide what to study in the next term! You get to choose all by yourself! I would have been frozen with fright if it had happened to me at your age."

"Carolyn! You must promise to help. I AM frozen with fright."

Chapter Three - The New Regency Scholar is Challenged

Sarah discovered that being a Regency scholar opened many doors. An article in the Times resulted in any number of inquiries, some of them interesting, but many boorish and insulting. Carolyn's father, who instructed Sarah to call him Reggie when they were by themselves, suggested that she make his home her base of operations, but not to the neglect of the Morrisons. She was glad to accept. Her adopted parents were impressed that she was in such important hands and sent Sir Reginald a note thanking him for his care of their daughter.

Being around Reggie and Carolyn also opened Sarah's eyes to how hard it was to be an accomplished academic. There were enormous piles of journals to be scrutinized, along with research papers to be written and peer reviewed. All this before meeting with students and delivering lectures! She decided to 'raise her game,' as Carolyn described it. She was weak in languages, and knew nothing of social science, which was not taught in the lower grades. For the next term, she enrolled in college Math and English lit, plus beginning French, and a survey course in Psychology.

Carolyn cautioned her, "That is very ambitious. Don't burn out on us right at the beginning!"

Sarah practiced her best frown and said, "There are high standards in this house, Ms. Anthony!"

They collapsed on the sofa together, kissing each other's cheeks and laughing hard. Sarah's talks with herself, which were quietly confident, as they had been all along, said that if others thought she had an excellent mind, then she must endeavor to demonstrate the truth of it.

One evening at dinner, Reggie said she needed a tutor. He explained that this was someone of demonstrated learning who would be a source of informed advice as her academic career advanced. Sarah smiled while wondering how such a person would be identified and how he or she would be paid.

Reggie could tell she was struggling with his news and said that he would make inquiries and if a suitable person was available, he would take care of any funding need, since she was, after all, a Regency scholar.

The following term was what some students would call a grind, but Sarah persevered, digging through thick texts and struggling mightily with French verbs and their strange declensions. Halfway through, she realized that her first set of grades as a Regency Scholar would get a lot of attention, and redoubled her efforts. Some nights, Carolyn carried the small body to bed, already asleep.

Assuming a good outcome to finals, Carolyn proposed that they journey to the country house of the Anthony family, near Harrogate, in beautiful wooded country just east of the national park. "We will take our sturdy hiking boots, and rainwear, and day packs. The open air and exercise will be good for us!"

Sure enough, Sarah collected her last grade sheet on the day before leaving, and it was an A in Math, completing a clean sweep of A grades. Carolyn insisted on immediately calling the Headmaster with the news, exclaiming over her heavy college level course load and exceptional performance. Midway in the conversation, Carolyn handed the phone to Sarah, "He wishes to speak to you."

"Sarah, I am immensely pleased to hear of your academic success. Our confidence in your talent has been rewarded! Go on your outing with Carolyn with all of our best wishes."

Reggie insisted on buying them a first class ticket on the King's Cross train that would take them directly to Harrogate. "The gardener will pick you up at the train, and see that the heat is turned on in the wing we use. I would accompany you, but the department is having a critical meeting on promotions that I must attend."

12