Dangerous at Night Pt. 04

Story Info
Hard Work Carries the Day.
7.7k words
4.75
1.8k
2
0

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 05/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dangerous at Night - Part 4 - Hard Work Carries the Day

Chapter 11 - Met Police Get Involved

After the adjustments to the new mission effort, a week was spent gathering detailed information on Caroline Sutherland, the MP's wife. She was the granddaughter of a Baron who had gotten fabulously wealthy in the railroad boom of the 19th Century and managed adroitly to shift his investments to favorable endeavors as the Empire and its fortunes declined through two World Wars and social upheaval. Caroline gained access to a large trust when she reached twenty-five, by which time she had married well and produced twin sons.

Her husband, Roger Cunningham, also came from industrial wealth, but had political ambitions. With help from his wife's fortune, he had successfully gained a seat in Parliament from a constituency in Yorkshire, and was considered, given his family background, to be left of his peers as he pursued bills to correct some of the problems in the NHS.

Sitting across from Natalie and Carolyn at one of their lunches, Sarah asked, "There doesn't seem to be any dirt. Two distinguished families, two honestly earned degrees..."

Natalie responded, "Yes, when things seem normal is the time to dig deeper. Remember how long it took to uncover the Cambridge spies? Did you see the email from Geoff about Cunningham and Ascot and possible gambling debts?"

Carolyn sighed, "Oh my, our dear Mommy is involved in settling debts?"

Sarah protested, "Wait a minute. This started with Cunningham asking Five to check up on a possible straying spouse. If he is implicated, why draw attention?"

The sandwiches didn't seem as tasty after that and everything was tossed in the garbage bag. After an extended silence, the most experienced mind in the group said, "We are still in the asking questions and uncovering evidence stage. Geoff and Alan need a trail of facts. So, let's decide where to poke around next."

After a second week of digging, Sarah was chafing. Hours in front of a computer screen were doing nothing for her budding skills as a field operative. Geoff and Alan noticed the frustration and conspired to create a foray to seedier parts of London. A daylight trip with a guide from the Met Police, who had been briefed that the effort was connected to a sensitive national security investigation. His name was Barney Jones and he was a very bright detective up from the ranks, which meant that his regard for Sarah was polite and nothing more.

Her regard for him was wholly different. Here was a tough Londoner, born and raised in Southwark, with a wealth of knowledge of the criminal mind gained from years working his way up through patrol duties and extensive detective work.

"Barney, part of my assignment is to keep my eyes and ears open and absorb as much as I can from your great experience."

"Miss, you flatter me too much. The rumor mill says you graduated at the top of your agent class and are full of technical smarts."

"Yes, and green as an unripe apple about police work. Promise me that if you come across something with real crooks involved, I will be texted on my cell instantly, day or night?"

"You mean it? A call at two in the morning will be ok?"

"Yes, indeed. If you promise to keep it private, I will tell you a story about embarrassing some night shift police in Regent's Park during my training."

At the next coffee break, he prompted for the story. With a blush in her cheeks, she described her love of dark nights, especially in the parks, and even the embarrassment of the evening when her dash over the wall landed her in the trainer's arms.

"I was very lucky," she said, "that I knew his girlfriend, who is a very hot number, and I could tease him that he was in trouble by pinning me to his chest."

Barney was astonished by the tale. "You are really comfortable in the dark streets? There is a lot of trouble about at night."

She lay her hand softly on his, "I am an orphan and have had to make my own way in the world. If you know the neighborhoods, and the likely mischief makers, and can run fast in your sneakers, there is little to worry about."

Barney drew her hand to his lips and kissed it. "You are a tough one, young Sarah. I've not seen the like of you before. Allow me to help where I can with your assignment."

The tender moment passed as they made plans for a canvas of Covent Garden and Soho in the next day or so. That evening, Alan and Sarah were lucky enough to have dinner together, although she had to reject his offer of a visit to another favorite restaurant.

"Your fiancee is testing her skills in the kitchen this evening. You must suffer in silence. You may shower while I get organized."

When he returned, her working clothes had disappeared and she was cooking in her underwear, covered by a large, colorful apron. "No attacks," she warned, "You will ruin the sauce."

He stole a kiss and poured two glasses of wine. "Tell me about your adventures with Detective Jones."

"Oh, he is such a nice guy. Knows everything about police work and is actually sharing with me." Alan saw the smile on her face and knew Sarah had made another friend.

"I was told he was a tough cop who didn't get along with female police."

"He was very distant at first, but warmed when I told him of my midnight exploits in Regent's Park. He can't understand how a girl agent likes working in the dark."

"A certain fiance can't either." They smiled at each other and she leaned across the table for a gentle kiss.

After the meal, she sat in his lap and asked if new information on Caroline Sutherland had been dredged up.

"Geoff told his analysts that she was probably living a double life of some kind and to dig deeper. They found a trail to a guy named Gino who has a trivial record as a teenager, but is suspected of currently being a senior operative in the local drug cartel."

"It's too obvious to put a tail on him? Or her?"

"Right you are. Geoff is afraid of a leak, because so many are paid off to keep quiet and pass along gossip."

She wiggled her tight rear on him and he wondered what was going on. Another wiggle or two and he was going to be hard and taking her.

She stood and squeezed his hand. "Alan, we are going to sort this and impress the Director. Right now, I need you to impress me with your fine tool!"

After ten minutes of wrestling and biting and pining her down with his cock, Alan realized this wasn't loving, it was tension release for the wonderful woman who was engaged to him. He applied a hard swat to her tough rear and was rewarded with a scream and a terrific come that took him with her.

After five minutes of silent clutching her to his chest, she raised her head, smiling. "Thank you. That was a marvelous go. Just what I needed. Am I allowed to be your slut once in a while?"

He simply rolled her to his side and turned out the light. "I love you, Sarah."

Chapter 12 - A Second Disappointment Followed by Rebellion

All in a rush, events began breaking their way, with one major exception. Gino's network was found to have connections into young society circles, where there was demand for drugs and available funds to cover the high costs. It appeared that the MP's wife had been drawn into a dependency situation while still at school. Subsequently, she was seen at charity events with individuals suspected of being couriers.

Sarah, Carolyn and Natalie had begun discussing this at one of their lunches when Geoff and Alan showed up, their faces serious. "You'll never guess what happened this morning. We are called off again!"

Together, the women exclaimed, "No! How can it be?"

"The Director had us in his office an hour ago. He said there was a call from the top security officer at the Palace. Caroline Sutherland is on a "do not touch" list."

Natalie cursed, "Damn, we should have known."

Feeling despondent, Sarah inquired, "What does this mean?"

Alan took her hand. "It means, Mouse, that there is another anti-drug operation in progress, and dear Caroline is involved. The Palace has its own channels for this sort of thing and we aren't going to get any details. She might even be a mole of some kind. There is likely international coordination."

Geoff added, "The Director has been handed the job of dealing with his friend, the MP, who apparently is not in the know."

Natalie gave a cynical laugh. "Double damn. Our project wrecked and the Director left in a tight spot, lying to his school chum."

Sarah was fuming. "This is too much. I am going to invent a reason for several dark night forays. Completely suited up and looking for troublemakers to take down!"

The men looked at her, surprised and unhappy. "But..."

"No buts. If you wish to refresh your training, I will accept male company on the condition that you behave and take orders." Her gaze was fierce and determined.

Carolyn and Natalie were holding hands and looking bemused. The Mouse was roaring.

Sarah continued, "I am off after this lunch to see Barney. He is sure to have suitable work for a trained nighttime agent!"

In the silence that followed, Sarah was so energized that she wrapped the remains of her sandwich in a napkin, said she would check in before dinner, and trotted away across the green playing field.

Natalie frowned at the men and said, "Do NOT give her any contrary orders. She has a real grievance and Barney will look after her."

Alan tried another, "But..." and was shushed instantly by Carolyn. "She is the most talented woman you have ever met and deserves a chance to prove herself."

This time, it was the men who said "Damn," as the lunch broke up.

Before she got to the Baker Street Underground station, Sarah was on her cell to Barney, who answered on the first ring.

"Sarah, I suppose you are on the hunt for crooks?"

"Yes, indeed, Barney, but I have a special request. In order to validate my nighttime training, I need a quick assignment tonight or tomorrow night in a location likely to give me an opportunity to demonstrate my agent skills. Is there a chance you can point me in the right direction?"

Thinking fast, he said, "Can you meet me at the coffee shop on Chalton St., three blocks north of Euston Road, in an hour?"

"Yes, for sure. I'm not in uniform at the moment."

"Better. I will fill you in on a development at the British Library."

Chapter 13 - Sleuthing Out Thievery

Seated in a private corner of the coffee shop, Sarah sipped an extra hot latte while she waited for Barney. Her mind was beset with contrary voices. One part of her was feeling guilty about being too forward with her teammates, while another was seething with frustration over the lack of real work to do. A third suggested she calm down and act like a trained agent.

Barney approached before any arguments were settled and she jumped up for a discreet hug. "Oh, I am so happy to see you. Our assignment from Five keeps being redirected, which is hard on my nerves!"

"Wanting to get your teeth into something, are you? Let me find a coffee and then fill you in with an interesting story. As an honors college graduate, I can assume a respect for libraries and librarians?"

"Oh, indeed. Many, many hours researching papers. My grumpy undergraduate self would probably not have called it respect at that point."

Sitting next to her with his coffee, Barney pulled folded papers from his pocket. "You might remember that the modern British Library, next to St. Pancras, was occupied in 1998. Lots of noise about the awful architecture, and massive changes to the quiet lives of librarians. The location was intended to draw more people into visiting the Library, and it has. But it has also made the security situation a higher priority and there is now a professionally managed division that handles staffing and coordination with the Met, the security services, and others. The Library Director is Malcolm Coleridge, and he happens to be available at the end of his day in about an hour. I presented your credentials and he is anxious to make your acquaintance..."

Sarah broke in, "But Barney, what is it I am to do? You are leading me to the lion's den with no armament!"

He sat back and smiled at her across the top of his coffee cup. "My dear Sarah, it is obvious you have not completed the training assignment on patience and stoic behavior!"

She blinked, blushing to her roots, and glad that it was a real friend from the police who was putting her in her place. Taking a deep breath, she asked, "May I jump into your arms and cry on your shoulder?"

They laughed and Sarah seized his hand, "Barney, you are a true friend. I will apply immediately for Stoic training!"

Composing herself, she concentrated on absorbing Barney's briefing about the Library's strange disappearances.

"About six months ago, a prayer book from the 15th Century showed up in a museum in Johannesburg, a gift from a trusted benefactor. Sparing you the details, it turned out to be from the British Library archives, and was not known to be missing. Items not on display are only inventoried periodically. The trail of how it got to South Africa is muddled."

"A quiet investigation here in London has revealed nothing, except that it was undoubtedly an inside job, or was aided by someone with inside knowledge. Director Coleridge doesn't like the prospect of grilling the staff over thievery, and asked if we could lend a hand. A covert effort for now."

Sarah found herself giggling and said, "Oh dear, I have cautioned myself not to giggle, but it is hard to suppress when you are tossing this kettle of fish in the direction of the most junior secret agent in all of London!"

Barney smiled, "Sarah, don't put yourself down. I pity the crook who thinks you are too young and too small to be a threat."

Sarah held back happy tears and asked, "Do we have a notion of how I should proceed?"

"Well, there is a wide range of possibilities, including a corrupt nighttime guard, but I think you might spend an evening or two prowling the Library and learning how someone might access an archive and leave the building without being detected."

"I am to be invisible to the guards, corrupt or not?"

"Yes. Didn't you tell me you have a specialty of embarrassing guards who never knew you were there?"

"Barney! I would never admit such a thing!" Sarah was smiling broadly.

Her mentor stood, "Come, it is time to meet the Director."

Ten minutes later, they were ushered into the palatial office of the Director of the British Library, who had been knighted, like Reggie, and was addressed as Sir.

"Please come in, you will have to excuse all this finery. I doubt it is deserved, but my Advisory Council believes it necessary."

Malcolm Coleridge was tall and slim, with a graying goatee and impressive bearing. From his first words, Sarah could see why he had been picked two years ago for this prestigious appointment.

"Sarah, you come well recommended by Sir Reginald. A 'small but powerful package,' he said."

Sarah thanked him for the compliment and suggested they go immediately to the theft problem. "I have been briefed about your desire to uncover the culprit without causing a staff uproar. I am sure that lie detector tests would not go over well, and would draw very unwelcome attention from the press. Barney and I will do our best."

"Indeed, that would be most welcome. I am advised you have a specialty of night work?"

"Yes, sir. If you permit, might I begin our assignment this evening? Even before introductions to your senior advisors? All I need is a set of interior maps and a key to a suitably remote and untended entrance?"

"You don't wish an alert to anyone in Security? It might be hard on you if captured tonight."

"No sir! This will be a test of my observing ability, and with luck, I might discover something useful."

The Director looked at Barney, who smiled and nodded. "Let's give her a chance, Guv'nor."

As they left the palatial office, Barney whispered, "You're not going to embarrass me, Sarah?"

She squeezed his hand, "Never!"

* * *

From her cubbyhole off Albany Street, Sarah made excuses about an immediate assignment to Alan and the others, saying she would check in tomorrow evening and offering nothing of what she was doing. Munching a sandwich, she studied the Library maps until she could visualize the layout in her mind on command. A useful skill, she thought. More importantly, she had to guess at locations for surveillance cameras and related equipment, like laser beams.

After that, she examined the maps for likely patrol circuits by the evening security force. It wouldn't be adequate by her standards, but library budgets were always stretched. What about other shadowy figures in the night? Would she come across an intruder bent on thievery?

At 10pm, decked out in her totally black clothes and mask, she made her way via unlit alleys to the location where the Director had provided one of his personal keys. It was a small door at the end of a loading dock. There was, however, a night light at the other end, and undoubtedly, a camera.

From shadows fifty yards away, she decided to use a trick one of her instructors had explained. Sneaking up from behind the camera, she attached a leaflike sticker to an extensible wand and pressed it to the front of the camera lens. Aha! Luck on the first try. A quick dash down the dock and through the door and a stop to catch her breath and see if someone was near. The stickum material would dry in a minute or two and fly off, leaving a strange minute of blank tape, but no sign of mischief. However, if the camera guard happened to be alert and noticed the blank image, he might send someone to check. An immediate move to a safer area was necessary.

Two hours later, near midnight, she had been on every floor and down most gallery corridors. There seemed to be three guards, one to man the desk in the front lobby with the camera screens, and two rovers. She was able, with small binoculars, to observe the camera monitors from a balcony perch on the floor above. Among other things, this revealed the locations of the cameras, and allowed her to watch the guards coming onto the screens and then off. Not too hard to evade that, she thought.

She was ready to move along when a figure in black approached the front door and waved to the guard, who quickly admitted the person. Which sex was not obvious. They conversed for a moment before the guard returned to his station and the dark figure disappeared down a corridor.

Sarah moved very quickly to follow the intruder, wondering whether this was mischief or part of normal procedure. Luckily, she saw him cross a passage ahead of her and closed up. But when she cautiously peeked around the corner, the black figure was missing. She quickly localized herself and grabbed a notebook to capture the room numbers along the corridor.

Just as she was about to make a move, the figure returned the way she had come. Sarah followed and watched as what now appeared to be a woman waved a hand at the guard and let herself out of the front door she had used previously.

Sarah belatedly realized she should be outside preparing to shadow the intruder. A quick dash down a side corridor lead to an emergency exit whose alarm had been silenced earlier, anticipating that this quick exit might be necessary.

Fleet feet allowed the new agent to catch up to her quarry, who was making her way carefully down the dark sidewalk, avoiding illuminated spots. In two blocks, she approached a nondescript Mini and climbed in. Camera in hand, Sarah approached the rear corner blind spot of the car and waited for the license plate to illuminate.

Success! The plate light was on, and the plate itself was not obscured. Several images later, the car was gone and Sarah was making her way to the Albany Street apartment. Still panting with suspense, the first thing she did was bring up the license image and call Barney, who said he did not mind being called at this awful hour if she had something.