Dark Division - Dani Ch. 06

Story Info
Unexpected turns cause things to change dramatically.
6.1k words
4.85
4k
3

Part 6 of the 16 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/19/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bdbeauty
bdbeauty
167 Followers

"Hey, so you know Oz called and said he's sending Stan and Dani over with an artifact they recovered after an Aphrodite cult case. He said it's pretty powerful, calling to and disabling virgins at the same time. Oz wants it kept in the vault after we take pictures and catalogue it." Nick came into the kitchen where Vince was busy making himself lunch.

"Okay, cool." He gave a brief reply trying to seem as non-chalant as possible.

"Cool? I thought you'd be excited you were going to see her again. I mean you two have been talking a lot since the whole frozen lake thing right?" Nick was prying and the last thing Vince wanted to do was feed into his suspicions.

"Yea, we have, but we're just friends Nick. I mean don't read into it more than that."

"Right. And that look on your face every time she texts you doesn't mean anything either? Come on, I get it she only wants friends, but you're allowed to want more and who knows what the future might bring. This line of work changes people Vince."

"I'm not holding my breath Nick, but I am glad to have a friend to talk bands and cars with. So, there you have my secret. If it were another world where she didn't like chicks as much as I do, then I would be more than happy to date her. But, I live in the real world."

"Fine. How was your date with the waitress two nights ago? You never said anything."

"The waitress?" Vince was caught up in his own brain and didn't have time to put it together.

"Yea, you left the other night, like almost all night to go out with that waitress."

"Oh, right. It was okay, probably won't see her again."

"Why? She didn't put out on the first date?"

"Sure something like that." With those words Vince couldn't handle anymore and he made his way out to the living room to watch some TV. At least he knew Dani was safe now and the case had gone well. She hadn't been in contact since the night at the motel, and he certainly didn't want to reach out after what happened. Now with her coming here, he had a new worry. He never kept anything from Nick, and doing so now was killing him.

After he ate lunch, he joined Nick in the library. His partner was always really into this stuff, so he was buried in books already trying to find what he could on the Aphrodite worshippers and this new artifact they were about to get. Vince pulled his chair out across from him and settled in pulling a book from across the table in Nick's stack.

"So, check this out." Nick turned his computer. "It says here that in ancient times the blood of virgins gave these women eternal youth. Apparently, the women who performed the rituals lived a normal life span, but never aged once they were involved. I wonder if this artifact was part of that ritual." Nick was pointing out something, but Vince barely registered it. It was like every time the word virgin came out all he could do was picture Dani's face as she left. He had the perfect opportunity to show her he was worthwhile and he dropped the ball.

"Uh...yeah. So, what can I help look for?"

"Well, I'm trying to figure out if we have any information on the worshippers past the ancient stuff. I figure if Dani and Stan took this group down, then maybe others might still be out there and we should shut them down before they come looking for the artifact and before they kill anyone else."

"Alright, well I might as well dig in."

"Thanks man, and listen sorry to bring up this thing you had with her. I just...I've never seen you like this about any other woman, and well you never want to talk about Dani. I know you're talking to her, so it's just a little weird you not being open with me." He looked up at Nick and saw the concern in the younger man's eyes. He had a point and as much as he had his reasons for not talking to his partner, Vince knew it wasn't the right thing to do. Nick could handle this right? He wasn't going to do anything stupid.

Vince was about to say something, when Nick's phone went off.

"It's Stan, says they're outside." The text message took the moment away from him and Nick jumped up heading for the door.

Vince made his way down past the kitchen heading to the front door. He was just in time to see Stan and Nick hauling in a box between them and Dani following close behind.

"Hey Vince, wanna check it out. It's pretty cool." The young guy lit up as he spoke, and Nick shared almost the same look.

"Sure. Hi, by the way."

"Sorry hi." Stan was still excited as he walked past Vince with Nick hoisting the large box up and placing it on the library table.

"Hey Vince." Dani looked at him, and her eyes held something he couldn't place. His hands immediately crossed in front of his chest to mirror hers as he walked with her to follow Nick and Vince to the box.

"Hey." He was soft as he spoke and they approached.

"That is so cool looking. And, it's ivory too huh?" Nick stared at the ancient looking pot inside the small box. Vince had to admit it was pretty awesome.

"Yea, and if you look at the carvings, you can see the wear lines, but it is still in pretty pristine condition. I mean can you imagine how much blood this thing has held over the years. It's crazy. If we could get DNA from it, we could even figure out what virgins were sacrificed by these crazy bitches."

"Listen, do you want to stay for a few hours and help get started on photographing it. I want to decipher as much of this as I can. And, we can even order dinner and sit down. I know Dani and Vince have been talking, but I'd love to get caught up on some of what you guys have been doing. I miss being out in the field a little bit."

"That sounds good to me man, but it's up to Dani. She told Oz we'd be available as of tomorrow. What do you think, can we spare a few hours so I can geek out with Nick?" He looked at his partner, who still stood awkwardly nearby and Vince watched as she melted at the same look he had gotten from Nick too many times.

"I suppose so, but the geeking out is all you. I did hear you guys have a shooting range, maybe I could check that out?"

"We do, and it's pretty nice. Vince can take you there. He's not into this stuff as much as I am either."

"Uh...yea. I wouldn't mind firing off some rounds." Vince looked a little taken aback. And, he almost smacked himself in the head at what he just said.

"I forgot, thank you for the information. Dani and I couldn't figure out what was affecting her at the building. But, when you told her about looking for the etched in spell and scratching it off that did the trick man. I'm glad you guys are available for a call when we need something." He nodded at Vince.

"Oh, yea, sure man, anytime."

"Wait, you guys called for intel?" Nick looked up at Vince with a raised eyebrow.

"Yea, didn't Vince tell you?" Stan seemed to not pick up on the sudden shift in the air around them, but Dani did and she shifted awkwardly with her hands in her pockets.

"Uh, you were busy and I just kind of knew it, so I guess I forgot to say anything."

Vince looked at his partner and shrugged.

"Right. Anyways, let's get this thing down the hall." Nick turned back to Stan and they put the lid back on the box heading towards the vault.

"Sorry, I had to give him a cover story. He was way too suspicious." Dani averted her eyes a little as she looked at him.

"No worries. I didn't realize you guys would be coming by, or I would have done the same with Nick. Anyways, I'm just glad that everything worked out with the case. I didn't hear from you, so I wasn't sure if...that...did the trick." He couldn't bring himself to say the words.

"Yep, worked great. Didn't feel weird or anything when we went near the place afterwards. So, I suppose I won't have that problem again. Thanks."

"My pleasure. And, uh, you know if you ever want to try anything again...let me know." He put his own hands in his pockets as he looked down at his feet trying to will himself to think of something better to say.

"I will keep that in mind. But, Vince, can we um...well can we go back to not awkward friends, because this is killing me." She smiled at him and punched him lightly in the upper arm. He raised his head and saw that same Dani he always knew and he was finally able to breathe again.

"Absolutely. I do want you to know though, that I am not normally so...well quick."

"I get it. Trust me, I get it. I've pined after my share of women and the buildup can kill you."

"Thanks Dani." He leaned into her putting a hand on her cheek and leaned over placing a light kiss on her other cheek. "Now, let's go shoot some shit."

"Oh hell yeah!" She grinned widely and tossed her jacket over a chair following him through another corridor of the bunker.

From there, it seemed like everything was going to be okay again. Vince and Dani laughed and enjoyed trying out all the guns the armory had to offer - at least those that could be fired indoors. By the time they were done, they came out to the kitchen still laughing to find Stan and Nick talking over beers.

"Hey guys, so did you enjoy your artifact?" Dani asked first and Nick saw the difference immediately.

"Yep, and ordered two pizzas, including an all meat spectacular just for you." Stan smiled at her.

"Most excellent!" Dani's face lit up as she spoke. Vince smiled at her exclamation. It was good to see her happy again.

They all ate then and shared in reverie like they had before. The four of them really made a good team. When they finished dinner, Dani and Stan said their goodbyes making their way out to the car with the usual casual parting they would have with anyone that came to the bunker. After seeing them off, Vince and Nick returned inside to clean up.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened, or are we just going to keep pretending that nothing is going on between you and Dani." Nick broke the silence as he handed Vince another beer.

"What are you talking about?"

"Let me lay it out for you. So, you don't tell me that you did some 'research' for Dani." He did air quotes a sure fire sign that he knew what happened or at least had a good guess already. "And, Stan tells me that she had a lot of trouble bordering on being incapacitated on the very night that you had a date with some waitress you won't name. The next day though, she's mysteriously better and able to handle a full fight next to the artifact. Oh, and maybe I should mention the artifact only affects virgins."

"Look, she told you that I merely suggested that she scratch off the warding on the place and that did the trick."

"Ah, then how about the awkwardness when she got here. Give me a break Vince. Just be straight with me, something happened between you and Dani. You can keep lying to me if you want, but honestly it's bullshit and you know it." Nick shook his head and sat back down at the table with his beer.

"Goddamnit, fine something happened okay. I don't understand why you care so much. Look, she needed to fight those chicks and the relic made it impossible, so I helped her fix the problem. That's it, that's all."

"Something happened? You took her virginity didn't you? Holy shit Vince, how could you not tell me about that?"

"Because I didn't want you to go down that whole path about me pining after her and about how I had feelings. Of course I have feelings, and it should have been the damn best night of my life but I even fucked that up." Vince sat heavily down on the other side of the table putting his head down on his arm.

"What? How could you fuck that up? I've heard you with tons of women and they were screaming not complaining."

"I know, but it was her Nick, and it was like I was a teenager all over again. It was my one shot at her and that's the night my body chooses to have a hair trigger. Go ahead, laugh away, the great Vince came early like a fucking high school kid." He was ready for it, ready to take whatever ridiculing that Nick had to offer. Vince had beaten himself up enough already, so what was the big deal now.

"Oh shit man. Listen, I get it. I've had those nights before with a superhot chick. I didn't know Vince. I wouldn't have pushed."

"Well now you know. I blew my one chance at having the woman I'm crazy in love with."

"What? Vince you're in love with her? I...I don't know what to say. I've never heard you talk like that."

"Well, I've never felt that way about a woman before, not like her. But all I can hope for now is to be her friend, and I'll be damned if I'm going to fuck that up. That means no matter what you will not say a damn word about this to her or anyone else."

"Hey, my lips are sealed, but what are you going to do man? I mean I don't think she's converting any time soon. You have to get over her Vince. Seriously, or it's going to fuck you up forever."

"I know, and after the whole lake thing, well I thought I was past all that. Like moving on, good with just being friends. But then, this happened, and I'm right back to feeling like an asshole."

"Listen, you can't...wait what happened at the lake?"

"That is private, but let's just say I saw a lot of Dani and we had to keep warm somehow."

"Holy shit. I knew you seemed too happy that morning. Anyways, you can't lose her Vince above everything else. If you think that means you'll just be friends, then just be friends. I think you guys are just kindred spirits and it may not mean romantic stuff, but it means something. So, just be a good friend and see where it goes."

"That's what I'm trying to do, but it's damn hard. Hey, you wanna go out and get a beer somewhere, like do something moderately social?"

"Sounds good, I'm buying, let's head out."

*************************************************

From there, life again returned to normal. There was no reason for it not to as Nick and Vince went back to their regular routines at the bunker. Vince and Dani resumed their regular text chatting and occasionally even talking on the phone. They got close, and for Vince it meant having someone that he felt connected to just like he did with Nick. He might want more, but at least Dani was open to him.

It wasn't until late summer that Vince didn't hear from her for almost a week. He tried not to worry, to assure himself that it was just because she was busy. That all changed though, when they got a call from Paul, who was covering for Oz. In an instant, Vince was running through the halls telling Nick to get his shit together because they needed to go. From there, it was a white knuckle ride where Nick asked a dozen questions, but Vince only had answers to one important one. All he knew was that Dani was in trouble and he would be damned if he didn't go help her.

He forced Nick to drive when he couldn't anymore and before long they pulled up to an old farmhouse. Vince took a deep breath and headed straight for the door. Nick barely had time to think before he was racing to follow Vince inside. All he had gathered so far was Paul said Dani was in bad shape and he couldn't get to her, but he was worried.

Vince knocked on the door to the old farmhouse and waited. He heard Nick scrambling behind him, but all he cared about was getting to her. He needed her to be okay. He tried the handle and it turned easily. He saw the etchings around it, but they were clearly not intended to keep humans out. When he opened the door and came inside, he trailed down the small hallway to the kitchen where he saw lights on.

There she was distraught, completely beside herself and drunk to boot and he had never seen her like that. Not once. Vince needed her to be okay, he was used to the tough Dani who never needed anything. Sure she would call for help, but she always held her own. That's part of the reason he fell in love with her. This shell of a woman in front of him just wasn't Dani.

"Hey Dani, shit...what's up?" Nick came in past his partner who stood like a statute staring.

"Nick? Vince? Why are...why are...you here?" Her words were slurred as she spoke.

"Paul called, said you called him all fucked up, but he couldn't help because he's covering for Oz. So, he called us as the closest." Nick chimed in.

"Oh, he's great...I love Paul. Yea, well, I have a little problem and I am too chicken . . . chicken shit to handle it." She was obviously drunk as she spoke. Vince was thrown so far off kilter seeing her like this. The last time they'd spoken, she was heading to a safe house for a few days with Stan and was supposed to call when they were onto the next case. When he hadn't heard anything, Vince hadn't reached out, not wanting to push too hard, but seeing her like this made him just want to hold her again and tell her everything was okay. Sadness was a part of her he never wanted to see.

When she looked up at him, her crazy beautiful eyes were filled with tears and bloodshot, it was totally different from the last he saw her. Dani looked broken, truly broken.

"What's the problem?" Vince pulled himself together acting as if she was just another agent to him. It was easier than letting her see the hurt in his eyes from seeing her like this.

"It's Stan. He...they took him from me." Dani's level of upset and drunk was making it almost impossible for her to put together sentences at this point. "Vince...they took him...I loved him and they took him." A fresh set of tears made his pride drop away as he walked over to the table and squatted between her legs.

"Dani...sweetheart...look at me." Vince lifted her face as Nick watched. Nick knew their history, all of it by now after too many drunken nights listening to Vince pine for her. He knew his partner was probably right to try to discard his romantic feelings, but being here in front of Dani again made his love for her resurface.

"Oh Vince...I'm so sorry. Are you mad at me 'cause I didn't call you first? I was just trying to reach Oz. I'm so sorry."

"No...hey...listen...I'm not mad. Nick and I are here to help you, but you have to pull it together and tell us what's going on. Do you need coffee baby?" His thumb wiped a tear away from her cheek.

"Okay Vince. Will you make me coffee?" She was focusing on him which was enough for him to know that she just needed something to pull her back from the complete drunk that she had reached.

"Sure Dani...we got you. Just try to start from the beginning." Nick sprang into action. He took off his coat and threw it over the back of a chair. Vince watched making sure that Nick was starting on coffee and then he pulled a chair around so he could sit and face her.

"A few days ago, I heard there were vampires on the outskirts of town. And, I started investigating. The last thing I needed was bloodsuckers in my hometown."

"So, you used to live here?" Vince's green eyes held hers and he saw recognition in her face that she could trust him.

"This isn't just a safe house. It's my childhood home. I come by every few months to check on friends. I knew it was stupid, I mean agents can't have attachments, but I really wanted to stay in touch. And, Stan doesn't mind, he likes it here too. Plus, he never says anything to Oz." A glimmer of a smile crossed her lips and it made him sad for what he knew was the likely end of the story.

"He's a good guy Dani, we know." Vince answered.

Nick walked over and sat down on the other chair as he waited for the coffee pot to finish. "So, what did you find out about the vamps?"

"There was a new group, like maybe five or six. I went over during the day, but they had a few humans watching out. I'm sorry...bear with me...I'm pretty fucking drunk Nick." Dani smiled half-heartedly at him. Vince felt a pang of jealousy as she looked at his partner. He knew Nick cared about Dani, but he didn't like the thought that they might have a connection he wasn't involved in.

"Okay, so you know where they are, did you try to take them out?" Vince asked her pulling her attention back. Her eyes held his fixed.

bdbeauty
bdbeauty
167 Followers
12