Dark Rose

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I thought Ellie was going to explode with delight as she stood. "Hi, Rio, I'm Ellie. I hope we can be friends."

I glanced at Rio as she looked at Ellie and the attraction seemed to be mutual---I thought I might have to wipe drool from the tiny girl's chin. There seemed no doubt they would become friends...very good friends. "I'm fairly new here myself, Ellie," Rio said, "it'll be lovely to have a new friend." She held out her hand and with a muttered: "Excuse me," Ellie took it in hers and the two left us. Only Dominic and I remained at table, Jinn having been called away on some security matter.

"I think they've each found their soul-mate so perhaps Ellie knew her own mind best after all," Dominic observed. He took a sip of coffee and said: "I've got a proposal for you, Roisin, a business proposal..." he hastened to add, "...Besides The Ascension I have a number of other existing and pending business projects which require a lot of my time. I have it in mind to train you to eventually take over the day-to-day running of The Ascension and with a view to, in time, becoming a member of my management team."

I was astonished. I'd been expecting something like a barmaid job. "Me? How about Jinn?"

He nodded. "You. Jinn's on my team already and has enough responsibility right now. Among other tasks she's my security chief although you would work closely with her in the early days. She and I would be your mentors."

"But I'm not up to anything like that. I'm not bright enough."

"What do you mean?"

"To be honest," I said, "well... I'm probably a bit dim for such a high-flying job."

A flash of what looked like anger crossed Dom's face before it became impassive again. "What makes you think you're dim, Roisin?"

I hesitated. "That's what I've always been told," I muttered.

"And who told you that you're dim?"

I shrugged. "My father... the nuns at school... other kids...they all told me I'm thick." My father's favourite endearment for me had been: "Stupid filthy little slut!"

"And I'll wager no-one ever bothered to look deep-down into the real you. A basic principle of propaganda, Roisin, is that if you repeat a lie often enough and forcefully enough, it becomes the truth. The very people who should have nurtured you have put you down instead. All your life they have repeated that lie until you have accepted it as the truth." Dom leaned forward and tapped the table with a forefinger. "You don't strike me as being stupid. Seems to me they were the stupid ones."

"But..." I clutched at something to say. "...I don't even know who that bloke Danty you mentioned is."

There was that peculiar little twitch of the lips that passed for a smile. "Dante. You don't need to know who he was, that's irrelevant. However, it's easy enough to find things out. Someone who has an instinctive understanding of numbers the way you have, who can absorb strange card games and read the fall of those cards, who can pick up on and memorise the smallest details about others, in fact can read people so accurately, someone like that is not stupid. Uneducated, maybe, but not stupid. Roisin, 'ignorance' means lack of knowledge, not lack of intelligence.

"Listen, Roisin, both Zabina and I are excellent judges of character. Zabina saw something in you worth developing and having met you I agree with her. So I suggest you dismiss this nonsensical negativity." He leaned back in his chair, fiddling with his wine glass and seeming to study the ceiling. "Take a couple of days to think over my proposition. Come to see me two days from now with your decision. If you still feel you can't cut it, I'll find you something else. But Roisin, Zabina and I believe in you, we both have faith in you."

When I got back to the apartment I collapsed onto the sofa and thought about Dominic's parting words. Nobody had ever encouraged or praised me like that before. Suddenly tears began to roll down my cheeks. A few minutes later I heard the door open and Ellie's voice called out: "Rosie, I've brought Rio home with me if that's okay!" She switched on the light and saw me sitting there weeping. She and Rio both rushed to me, each taking one of my hands. "What's the matter, sweetie?" asked a concerned Ellie, "What is it?"

I smiled through the tears. "Ellie, Dominic and Zabi believe in me. They believe in me."

* * * * *

The following morning I found out the location of the nearest library and made my way there.

* * * * *

At the appointed time I tapped on Dom's office door and entered. He gestured towards a chair and said nothing when I sat, just raised an eyebrow in enquiry.

"Dante Alighieri!" I blurted, "Italian Renaissance poet, late 13th to early 14th centuries. Most famous nowadays for his narrative poem The Divine Comedy comprising three parts, Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso which is obviously the inspiration for The Ascension. Dante was believed to be a strong influence on Chaucer and other poets." (I didn't let on that I knew nothing about Chaucer; I could leave that for another day.)

"You see, you can learn, you have started justifying my faith in you." Dom nodded approval. "No truly stupid person would have taken the trouble to find those few basic facts. So can I take that as a yes?"

"Yes please, Dom! Give me a chance and I won't let you down."

"I know you won't. You start learning Monday. It will be tough going at first and I'll drive you hard but I believe you'll cope." Dom picked up a notepad and wrote several lines on it, tore off the sheet and passed it to me. "The Goth look has to go although you can keep the piercings if you wish, they're small and unobtrusive. You're an attractive girl, Roisin, but right now you do yourself no favours with your outfits. These are the addresses for the nearest several of Zabina's fashion outlets. They will kit you out in appropriate clothing. There is also the name of a hairdresser and a beautician who can get you tidied up. I'll let them all know you are coming and to treat you with respect---we don't want a Pretty Woman situation. Danny will take you in the limousine and all costs will be charged to the company.

"One final thing, Roisin. Zabina told me that you made money by playing cards, sometimes for yourself, sometimes as a dealer on a percentage. You were sensible in the way you played and never drew unnecessary attention to yourself. However, I suggest you give this up. Even small games here can be controlled by some very unpleasant people. I strongly advise you to steer clear of them."

I promised Dom that I would never gamble with cards again and I've kept that promise.

* * * * *

Dom was right, it was tough going at first but I was determined to make a success of this chance he had given me. I was starting to agree with Dom, I wasn't stupid. I was coming on very quickly, my ability to absorb small details and put them to proper use being of great advantage. Now I think my 'stupidity' must have arisen in part due to my resentment of school and the always-unpleasant nuns who ran the place.

Even I was impressed that first Monday morning when I looked in the full-length mirror in my room. My hair had been styled in a neat pixie cut---maybe a touch androgynous but it suited me---and my Goth make-up replaced by subtle shades which I had to admit were far more tasteful and attractive. As for my new work outfits, each item cost more than I'd probably earned in my life. I followed the advice of the fashion house saleswomen, my one stipulation being no dresses or skirts. Instead I had a number of elegant boot-cut trousers and jeans which with crisp shirts and waistcoats looked great.

When Danny arrived to collect me, he stared then said: "Christ Rosie! You sure scrub up well." He flushed. "Sorry Ms Roisin, that kinda slipped out."

I patted his shoulder. "Danny, I've not had many compliments in my life. You can say nice things to me as often as you like."

He grinned. "Yeah, okay Rosie. But don't tell the missus. She'd kick my ass for sure."

Before taking me behind the scenes to meet the several office staff, Jinn gave me a tour of the three main guest areas. Access was controlled by slender bracelets which worked like touch-cards on pads by the doors. Differently-coloured bracelets allowed or denied entrance to specific areas. Big Tony fitted me out with a gold-coloured management band which allowed me access to all parts of the club.

At this time of day there were no guests present and Jinn had all lights switched on so that I could see everything clearly. Paradiso was bright and airy, comprising a dance floor surrounded by alcoves and booths. The walls displayed a number of frescos depicting heavenly beings, gentle pastoral scenes and the like. A string-quartet often played in there and when they were resting soft mood music was piped in over a tannoy system. There seemed to be no facility for meals and Jinn explained that for convenience all guests dining went into Purgatorio. Once inside Purgatorio she showed me hidden doors behind the crimson drapes which led into chambers where those who wished could practice mild BDSM.

"Ready for this?" Jinn led me to Inferno's entrance and, taking my hand, guided me down a lengthy flight of steep and gloomy steps. Concealed lighting flickered redly, creating the illusion that we were descending into flames. The walls appeared to be of rough-hewn stone, dripping moisture and thick with leprous-looking mosses and lichens with assorted filth and vermin. Screams and cackles of insane laughter, together with shrieks of discordant music and the sound of roaring flames, echoed from the concealed tannoy system. I shivered then, curious, I reached out to touch a wall which to my surprise was dry and smooth. Jinn laughed. "Specially designed wallpaper," she explained, "Impressive, isn't it?" She drew back heavy black drapes to reveal a huge window. "Here's the first chamber. On the other side it's just a mirror." I was looking into a black-walled, red-lit space every bit as large as Purgatorio's dining room but instead of tables and a dance floor it was filled with hideous-looking instruments resembling a mediaeval torture chamber. Inferno was obviously aimed at the seriously sado-masochistic.

"You said the first chamber?"

"That's right," Jinn replied, "we have a number of smaller chambers done out like cells. They're for groups of two to eight people. While we monitor all areas of the club, down here we have a permanent security team on duty. It's rare but sometimes a guest can go too far, ignore their partner's safe word, and has to be stopped. In such cases the guest is expelled and we help the partner find a safe refuge if they want it. You'll know security when you see them---they all wear skull masks like mine. Nobody else has those."

I felt uncomfortable in this place. "How often do I have to come here, Jinn?"

"Only for your weekly management inspection and that'll be in the daytime. I'll show you the ropes later. My team will handle the rest. I can understand how you feel, Rosie. It took me some time to get used to it but there's no accounting for people's tastes. It's supply and demand and security's as good as we can make it." Jinn looked at me closely. "Still want the job, honey?"

"Yes, I promised Dom I'd hack it. Maybe more importantly, I promised myself."

Jinn put an arm around me for a sideways hug. "Good. I knew you were the right stuff."

* * * * *

Two months passed and Dom had a gift each for Ellie and me. When we opened the bulky envelopes he had given us we found genuine US passports and citizenship papers in our names---we both now held dual citizenship, our countries of birth and the US. In addition there were social security numbers, California driving licences and anything else of that nature which might be necessary.

There were two extra gifts for me: a death certificate for Alannah Bronagh who passed away in infancy; and a birth certificate for Roisin Donavan who had coincidentally been born on the same date.

"But how..." Ellie started.

"Don't ask," I told her. I guessed that Dom had been calling in favours from some of his many strange friends.

* * * * *

It had been a hard night. The 'evening' shift started at six pm and frequently went on into the early hours. By the time we had cleared up it was often four or five in the morning. I had managed to grab a few hours' sleep on a sofa in Dom's office and now when Danny dropped me off home at ten or so, all I wanted was a shower and good strong coffee. Fortunately I had a day off which would give me a chance to recuperate.

That particular homecoming was weird. Weird, weird, weird... As I entered the living-room I was met by the sight of a bare-arsed Ellie face down on our dining table, restrained by a plethora of BDSM equipment. She was making little whimpering sounds as she wriggled against the set of chains fastening her ankles and passed under the table to hold her legs apart. I had a ringside view of her moist pussy. Seeing me and the probable look on my face, she gave a sheepish grin. "Hi, Rosie. The book says a hard surface is best. I'll clean the table properly when we're finished."

Book? We? Finished?

"Hiya, Rosie." A naked Rio wandered in, a book in one hand, a brightly-coloured dildo and a feather in the other. She had a perfect little figure with the cutest-ever tuft of black pubic hair and was as enthusiastic and casual a nudist as Ellie. And in her own funny way she was as ditzy as Ellie. Rio held up the book and I saw the title. BDSM for Dummies. "I found this in a used book store. I'm learning to be a dominatrix for Ellie. Some of the pages have been stuck with some sort of glue, though. Can't think why." I pressed my lips together to contain my laughter. These two were well suited. How can I put it? They gave naïvety a bad name. Every now and again I wondered if I should lock them up for their own good.

"Don't mind me," I said, "I'm just passing through. I need a shower and some coffee and then I'm going out for a bit of exercise."

"Go get your shower, Rosie, I'll make the coffee," Rio volunteered. I'll give her this, she made great coffee. Along with Ellie's cooking the catering at home was almost unbeatable.

Shower finished, I was sitting on my bed wrapped in a towel and Rio came in with my fresh coffee. "Thanks, Rio. I'd fight mountain lions for one of your coffees."

Rio flushed a little with pleasure and smiled. I beckoned her over and lowered my voice. "A quick suggestion, Rio. Zabi once told me that Jinn gave Alex some good advice on how to be a dom or a sub. You and Ellie should have a talk with her sometime."

"Thanks, Rosie, that's a good idea." Rio listened to the happy little moans coming from the living-room then pushed the door to behind her and whispered: "Can I ask you something? Rosie, I'm in love with Ellie and I think she feels the same way about me. I haven't said anything to her yet. Is it okay with you? I don't want to tread on your toes."

I took her soft little hands in mine and kissed the back of each. "Rio, I'm delighted for both of you," I assured her, "Ellie and I are only friends, not lovers. Don't waste any time---go tell her now how you feel. I just hope you'll make each other very happy." I had a thought. "In the case of you two I don't think it's really necessary but have you got a safe word?"

Rio nodded happily. "Yes, it's 'Dark Rose'. Ellie chose it. Said it makes her feel safe."

I blinked away a tear---I was Ellie's safeguard. The emotions I'd kept bound and buried for years were starting to unravel. "I love you both, Rio, and wish you lots of joy."

Rio leaned in and gave me a sweet little kiss on the lips. "You're fabulous, Rosie."

* * * * *

Santa Monica had been a revelation when we first moved here. Just about all human life was around us, shapes, colours, styles: businessmen in hand-made suits rubbed shoulders with hippies; surfer dudes with street jugglers; Goths with New Romantics; black, white, Asian, Hispanic; and for me the beauty of it all was that nobody frowned or sneered at anyone else. When I had walked in Goth mode almost anywhere outside of the city centre in Dublin, I had been subject to constant looks of disapproval and contempt. I'm sure that many crossed themselves as I passed by, hoping to ward off any evil clinging to me.

I'd left Ellie and Rio to their bizarre little games and set out for a good walk. Although I was now accustomed to my smart business clothes and even liked them, it was still a relief at times to just slip into a t-shirt and pair of jeans. Nobody gave me a second glance and I liked it that way. And I loved my new job with all its pressures. But... I don't know what but there was still something missing as there had been in Europe, some kind of emptiness in my life. Without realising it, as I mused I had wandered down some narrow side-street, one of these places with odd little shops selling second-hand books, bric-a-brac, collectables, musical instruments, all manner of merchandise that buyers thought they didn't want but bought anyway.

Still not really looking where I was going or what I was doing... I had a collision... with a living soul, not a fire-hydrant or lamp-post, but a person. I reached out and grabbed to prevent one or both of us landing on our backsides.

"Hey! I'm so sorry!"

"That's okay!" A deep and thrilling voice, a woman's voice, contralto I'd guess. "I wasn't paying attention either," she added. I took a look at my victim and... The world slammed its brakes on, stopped spinning, and me without a seat-belt. My inner self went into meltdown and I almost reached for the sky, seeking something to keep me hanging on, grounded. Silly, meaningless words, those, but that was the way the moment got me.

First thing I noticed, she was wearing a scarlet head-scarf, one of those things Muslim women wear... hijab, that was it. And a long-sleeved deep-purple blouse with white jeans. And bare feet in red-leather sandals, finger- and toenails painted a sparkling dark-green. She was full glorious technicolour in contrast to my plain monochrome. Large dark-brown eyes set in a beautiful oval, olive-skinned face looked back at me, a face with lips just begging to be ravished. I got a whiff of a very rich and spicy scent, the kind of fragrance to make your libido sit up and howl. I don't know if my mouth was hanging open but it sure felt like it. I took a deep breath and the world started spinning again. Suddenly I understood Ellie's reaction to Rio.

We were standing outside a shop doorway and she gestured. "I was just going in to work. Were you aiming to go in here?"

At that moment, if she'd said she was going to the ends of the universe I'd have followed her. "Er... yeah, sure..."

"Well, the doorway's quite narrow, we'll not make it through unless you give me my arm back." She gave me a wonderful smile when saying this, neither was there annoyance in the way she said it. I realised I was still holding the arm I had clutched at when we collided.

"Uh... sorry..."

She winked. "This way." She headed towards the back of the shop, saying over her shoulder: "Take a seat, I'll be with you in a moment."

For the first time I noticed the slightly antiseptic smell about the place and at the same time became aware of a faint buzzing sound. I looked around and saw that the place was divided into several large booths. Different kinds of pictures and designs were displayed on the walls. Oh Jesus! I'd come into a tattoo parlour.

My new friend returned. She had removed the hijab to allow a mass of thick shining hair to fall free and had swapped her blouse for a singlet. I stared.

"What?"

"Your tattoos," I said, pointing. Her left arm was a full sleeve of tattoos, exotic and elaborate designs that recalled magazine pictures I'd seen of Islamic mosque decorations.

123456...9