Daughter of the Witch Wood Pt. 10

Story Info
Yasemin dreams again. The battle is imminent.
4.3k words
4.89
1.9k
00

Part 11 of the 14 part series

Updated 12/07/2022
Created 09/22/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rbwriter
Rbwriter
263 Followers

Author's note: this chapter is one of a series, and does not contain erotic elements.

-rb

10.

Realized Dreams

The camp was on fire. Except it also wasn't—Min knew she was dreaming as soon as the blackness of sleep melted away. From above, she could spy the tents of the tribe through the thick forest canopy. There was a sound of crackling flames and snapping branches. Shifting her view, Min saw fire racing through the trees, burning faster than any natural flame, while black, shadowy figures walked amongst them.

In the other direction, Min could see a huge stone like a beast's head rising out of a great pool. From that direction she heard the sound of bears roaring, wolves howling and the screams of the dying. They were running towards that pool, Min and the people with her, but the smoke made it too hard to see whether they ever managed to reach it.

Huge bestial shapes came towards her, attacking anything that moved, friends or foes—they were immense, covered in weeping pustules and lesions, staining their fur brown and green, same as the beast who'd attacked Min. The wolves made their stand, but they were caught on both sides like fruit in a stone press—blood and ruined flesh stained the grass amidst the shapes of ravaged wolves and dead men and women.

The children were the worst. She couldn't look at them for more than a second or two before turning away.

Min saw herself fighting someone in the flames, but the heat was so great she couldn't even see who she fought against—even in her own dream, it was too hard to look into the fire for more than a moment before turning away. She saw others standing with her—Ilay, her mother, other women she didn't recognize—but Sergen was nowhere to be seen. She felt alone, a sensation so overwhelming and oppressive that her heart nearly broke.

"Yasemin!"

Min woke up with a shout and choked breath in her throat. She saw Sergen kneeling on one side of her, his hard features softened for the moment with worry; on the other side was her mother, soft and beautiful, touching her face, calling her name. Behind them stood Sait and Ilay, both looking concerned but not speaking; in all, the small tent was quite cramped for space.

"Oh, Mother!" Min threw her arms around Erden's neck and began to sob, shaking from the force of hard, heavy tears that burned in her eyes.

"Shhh, hush, darling one," Erden said, stroking her hair. "You were having another dream."

Min nodded, hiccuping, feeling embarrassed and a little sheepish. She opened one arm and slid it around Sergen's neck, ignoring the man's soft grunt of surprise—as the lingering sense of loneliness vanished, she sighed with relief.

"A dream?" Ilay said, some intellectual curiosity in her voice.

"Yasemin's been a Dreamer practically since I taught her to speak," Erden explained, still stroking her daughter's head.

"Is that significant, somehow?" Sait said.

Erden seemed to change when she answered her mate: her tone softened, and she gave a small, shy smile. "Well, it can be. It'...humans would call it 'foresight'—catching glimpses of What Is and What May Be. She once dreamt about a bone hairpin I'd lost weeks before; she also dreamt about the bear that attacked her at our home."

"Which is why we're all here now, I suppose," Ilay added with a faint smile.

Erden swallowed and nodded. "Yes. Min is a witch of aku—I'm surprised she didn't tell you."

"Oh, she did," Ilay answered, "but we haven't had an aku witch in the tribe since Erkin claimed me—before you even came to us, even."

Min's tears had dried, and she suddenly felt a cold chill rush over her skin. "The camp was under attack. We were all under attack—the bears were here." Min released her hold on her loved ones, rubbed her face to banish her tears, and looked at Sait and Ilay. "Are the wol... Are we still sending out scouts?"

Mother and son looked at each other, then back to Min. Sait nodded. "My father's had scouts out to keep watch, no matter the hour. I just returned from duty myself."

"The bears are out there, and they're getting closer," Min said. "I saw a fire in the trees, and shadowy figures walking in the flames. On the other side was..." She frowned, concentrating. "It was a rock, a huge boulder standing in a large pool. I don't know what it means."

Sergen turned his head to look at her. "Large rock? What did it look like?"

"I... It seemed pointed or peaked, but wide and flat on the top. I remember it had spurs, too—thick pieces on either side, like animal ears."

"That's Bhalot's Basin," Sergen said, standing up. "It has a huge stone at the peak of it, atop a waterfall; the bear-men worship it as an icon of the She-Bear. I remember seeing it while traveling with my mother—below the falls are caves where they keep their dens." He offered Min a hand, which she took without hesitation; it felt good to hold his hand, to feel the strength in his grip as he helped her stand. Together, she and Sergen helped her mother up next, then he turned to his adoptive brother. "I remember these lands. We're heading towards the Basin, aren't we, Sait?"

The Speaker pressed his lips together for a moment, crossing his arms over his chest. "We are, but I advised the Chieftain to stay far away from it; I still hold to that. Better to run anywhere else then into your enemy's waiting jaws."

"No," Min said, shaking her head, "we need to keep moving towards it. The fire was everywhere—water might protect us, if we can reach it."

Sait frowned. "I'm unsure as to how wise that course would be, Yasemin. A place named after the She-Bear is sure to be a stronghold of theirs."

"I understand." Min nodded, reluctantly. "It was only a dream, I suppose," she added, looking at her mother's face.

Erden compressed her lips together, looking up to her mate. "It might be worth bringing it to your father, at least."

The Speaker sighed. "Alright, I will mention it to him. We won't be anywhere near the Basin for another day or so." He looked to his mother. "Maybe you can help him to understand—magic is hardly my expertise."

Everyone turned to Ilay, who raised her hands. "I can talk to the man, but you should all know by now that Erkin does what he thinks is best—I share the man's bed, not his brain."

"Is there any danger now, Yasemin?" Erden asked, leaning in closer, resting her forehead at her daughter's temple.

"I don't know, Mother. We could be in danger, but it doesn't feel like it. Not yet. I knew the children of Bhalot was coming to our home, but it was half a day or more until it appeared."

"Is there any way to sense the danger coming, Yasemin?" Sait asked.

Min hesitated, but had to shake her head again.

"Unfortunate," he said, worrying at his lip. "As I said, I'll speak to the Chieftain on this—we're breaking camp soon, so, if you sense anything else, make sure to speak up."

"I will."

Sait smiled, shared a look with Erden, then ducked out of the tent.

"We're moving already?" Min said.

All three who'd stayed behind nodded. "Erkin had hopes that a delegation of several of the Shik tribes would meet with us," Ilay said, "but they never bothered to show up."

"Who?"

"Children of the She-Boar," Sergen said.

The silver-haired woman set her jaw and blew out a hard breath. "My mate hasn't slept in two days. He's running himself to death to give our people a chance to survive, begging for allies anywhere he can find them, and no one will answer him!"

"Which is why we should make for the Basin now," Sergen said.

Ilay nodded.

"I suggested it, but why do you think so?" Min asked.

Sergen paused for a second before answering. "I believe you saw what you saw, but I know nothing of dreams. We should go there to make a last stand—the bears will chase us all over the Witch Wood, same as they have for months. This way, if it is to be so, our tribe will at least have a choice in our last battleground." It was a depressing, morose thing to say, but that was his way—honesty before everything. "I should see if more help is needed." He touched Min on the arm. "I'll return soon to break the tent down. Be ready."

"Yes." She nodded, gave him a little smile to try and lift his spirits, then watched him go, even admiring his backside as he stepped out. She thought he was attractive, for a male, and Min was becoming more aware of that as time passed.

"Sait is troubled," Erden said, waiting until Sergen left. "I can see it in his eyes. He's slept precious little himself lately."

"Yes, why could that be, I wonder?" Ilay answered with a sly grin. When Erden blushed, the old witch laughed, clapping her hands. "You sly fox of a woman. I'll bet he'll have you whelping cubs in no time at all."

"Ilay!" Erden swatted the air with one hand. "Is this really the right time to be discussing such things?"

"Don't pretend to be shy around me, woman," Ilay answered with a smirk. "Some of your exploits in this tribe were legendary. And there's always time for discussing such things." Ilay pulled Erden closer and pressed an affectionate kiss to the woman's temple. "You're family again; you both are now, as a matter of fact." She gave Min a sly look. "My son's been pining away for your mother for more than half his lifetime—I expect he has quite an appetite to catch up on, knowing him."

Erden smiled, fiddling with the beads of her necklace. It was a shy, even girlish thing to do, and Min could hardly believe she was watching her own mother do it. "Well...let's just say that he's been somewhat amorous since the Rite took place, yes." She looked at Min, raising an eyebrow. "I didn't know Sergen before I left the tribe—he seems quite taken with you."

"He is." Min smiled again and laced her fingers together to keep from fidgeting herself. "It's very different from living with you, Mother. Not bad. Just different."

"And his appetite?" Erden grinned, which made Ilay laugh again.

Min coughed. "He is...hungry enough, I suppose." She felt her face going hot. "You should know well enough, Mama, half the tribe was overcome by their 'appetite' during your Rite!"

"Oh, my sweet Yasemin's gone shy on me, now." Erden smirked. "Maybe I'll come by your tent next time and peek in on the both of you, mm?"

"But—!" Min gaped, her mouth hanging open. She felt her face start to heat up; the other two witches seemed particular amused by that. "You mean you knew?" Erden laughed so hard doubled over, slapping a hand against the side of her leg. Ilay coughed and had to wipe tears away.

It felt like ruining a good time when Min changed the subject: "Mother: who was Ozan?"

The laughter immediately slowed and stopped; the pleasant mood vanished. Erden sat up and sighed. "I suppose this subject was bound to come up eventually." When Ilay started to leave, Erden took her arm. "Stay, Teacher, please—this involves both of us. Yasemin should know the truth."

"Very well. There's still time, I think." Ilay took a seat on the bedroll, legs crossed, and then motioned for the women to join her. Erden sat with her legs tucked to one side, while Min knelt, sitting back on her heels. The elder women joined hands, then took one of Min's in each of theirs.

Erden fixed her eyes on her daughter. "Ozan is...was your father, Yasemin. He was a wolf-man of this tribe once, before you were born."

"And he was banished."

Her mother nodded. "There's more to it than that, but yes."

Min frowned. "Tell me. Please. I need to know."

The older women shared a look, and Erden finally nodded. Ilay spoke next: "Ozan was my son, Min—Erkin's and mine. We were fairly young, newly mated and all; I was pregnant even before he became chief. Ozan was our firstborn."

"So..." Min looked from one woman to the other:

"Ozan and I grew up together," Erden said. "I was Ilay's apprentice, so your father and I spent a great deal of time together. We did what young lovers will do, and I was very happy to be his mate." She sighed, sounding sad all of a sudden. "But Ozan was ambitious, and I found a dark part of him, a cruelty I should've recognized before it was too late. In our bed, he was a violent lover—part of me enjoyed it, but it was a reflection of his heart and the real man that I tried to pretend didn't really exist."

Ilay let go of Erden's hand, instead cupping her cheek with a small, sad smile. Erden sighed again, turning and nuzzling the old witch's palm, pressing a soft kiss to it before turning back. "You'll learn, child, that you might be willing to overlook anything for love. Fight that urge—only pain comes from it." Taking a breath, she continued: "Ozan wanted to be chief; he wanted it so badly. He talked of it night and day, sometimes. When he challenged Erkin—his own father, the man who loved and raised me like a father—it was a betrayal. Sait and Selin were still pups by that time; I was barely pregnant with you."

"What happened?"

Erden licked her lips, hesitating. Ilay took the woman's hand again and squeezed it tight. "The Rite of Challenge isn't lightly undertaken," the grandmother said, her voice soft, eyes looking at and through Min, like she could see a thousand miles away. "It's a fight to the death, and it is deadly—sometimes, neither warrior survives. Ozan was strong and fearless, but that was his undoing: his father was too smart and cunning for him." Ilay's smile was grim. "Your grandfather knows a few tricks, but he was plenty crafty, even then. Still, hhe loved his cub too much." Min saw unshed tears in her eyes. "Erkin maimed Ozan, but spared his life and banished him."

"Which was when I left." Erden rolled her lips between her teeth, looking torn, fighting off more sadness, more tears. "I knew he'd kill me if I tried to leave, that he'd never permit it willingly. It took all I had to get away, but I managed it, somehow." She hesitated again, trying to find her words, or what to say next.

"And you made us a home where he couldn't find us," Min finished. "And kept moving us around to keep from being discovered. Now I understand: you thought he was the one who claimed me—"

"It would be just the sort of thing he'd do," Erden said, her voice going dark. "I was terrified that he'd taken you to lure me back to the tribe. If Mylan is merciful, his body's in a dark hole somewhere and after this we'll never have to speak of him again."

There was some finality to that statement, an energy that filled the space and faded away. Ilay dabbed at her eyes, then smiled at both of them. "There'll be more time to talk later. I'm just glad the both of you are here—and that you're back where you belong," she added to Erden, wrapping the other woman up in a tight, loving hug that made Min's heart happy just to see it.

Erden gave a little laugh and returned the embrace, limbs tightening. Pale and tanned flesh pressed together as they held each other tight, and Ilay pressed a long, loving kiss to her old apprentice and family member.

"Thank you...Mother," Erden said with another shy smile.

Ilay laughed again. "There. It took you too long to say it." Then, clearing her throat, the old witch clapped her hands. "Alright! Up we get, ladies, there's so much left to do. And Min?"

"Yes?"

"If something happens or troubles you for any reason, you tell your mate, your mother, or myself with all haste. Preferably all three." Ilay pushed to her feet, her pale body sleek and beautiful, as she offered a hand to her daughters. "You're a witch of the mind, child—listen to yours closely. You may not get a second chance."

Min did listen to her mind, but it did little to help them either find or evade their pursuers. One surprise that did happen came early the next morning. Most of the camp was still asleep at that time, save for the lookouts keeping watch. Sergen was spared from staying up that night, and the two of them had found other ways to pass the time, ways that had her cheeks still flush and warm the following morning. Sergen was still asleep before the sun rose, and Min quietly slipped out of their tent to watch the sunrise.

When she saw Selin standing outside of her tent, she immediately took a half-step backwards in surprise. The blonde's pretty face and hard eyes were an unpleasant mix, and Min had to force herself to step out and stand up straight, to look back into those eyes that seemed so angry and hurt.

They stared at one another for a long moment. It was a reminder of how attractive Min thought Selin had been at first glance, of how beautiful her mother was, of the complex and complicated ways their family and lives were now intertwined.

"I...I thought you were beautiful the first time I saw you," Min said.

Selin rocked back a half-step herself, giving a surprised laugh. "The last time you spoke to me, you promised to maim me. Now you're giving me compliments?"

"It's the truth," Min said. She felt frustrated, not knowing what to say next. "What do you want, Selin?"

The blonde narrowed her eyes again and popped her knuckles—slowly, and for effect. "What I want, and what I'm willing to attempt are two very different things. What I want..." She paused, crossing both arms over her chest, beneath her round breasts. "...is to sink my claws into your pretty face, peel it off like a rind of a rotten piece of fruit, and make you watch me swallow it while."

Min fought not to react as her stomach took a slight dip into the vicinity of her toes. "That—" She took a breath "—sounds awful, actually." She gave a soft shudder. "Why?"

"Because I hate you, witchling." Selin crossed those long, lovely legs beneath her, easing down onto her ass in the grass in a single, fluid motion that made Min wickedly jealous to see it. "My brother, the man I love more than my own life, is lost to me now, and to your mother of all people." She set her elbows on her knees, laced her fingers together, and rested her chin upon them. Her eyes, however, never left Min's. "And then, the one who I thought could be content to be my second choice, a man I idolized and longed to have chose you." For the first time, the hardened exterior of Selin showed a flaw when her voice cracked.

Min didn't take a seat quite so gracefully, but she settled down in front of Sergen's tent and folded both hands in her lap. "Yes, he did. So what? Do you think I'm going to rub your nose in it?"

"I certainly would."

After opening her mouth to answer, Min closed it again, choosing her response more carefully. "I'm not my mother, so we'll leave her out of it. I don't want to be your enemy, Selin—if you came into my mother's tent and I treated you the way you've been acting, she'd put me over her knee." She ignored Selin's flat, unfriendly look. "I don't need her protection. If we can agree to stay away from one another, it'll probably be the best for both of us."

Selin waved an empty hand. "So, that's it? You ruin my life and we just avoid each other?"

"I don't care what you do," Min said, giving the other woman a long look. "Not anymore. Sergen asked me to come here and help save your people—somehow, I want to do that. If we stay out of each other's way, we might both survive what's coming."

Selin stared at her for a long time, saying nothing. Min refused to look away first, to show weakness at that moment. Finally, the lithe she-wolf pushed to her feet again. "Sergen was mine once, little witch. I'll do as you ask, for his sake...but one day, there will be a reckoning between us. Believe me." With an empty smirk, Selin turned and walked off, all sexy and dangerous and full of anger.

Rbwriter
Rbwriter
263 Followers
12