Daughters of the Moon Pt. 04

Story Info
Carla and Gwen have a night on the town.
9.1k words
4.91
2.3k
1

Part 4 of the 14 part series

Updated 03/17/2024
Created 10/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
testudo
testudo
138 Followers

Chapter 4

As the last sliver of the sun vanished over the horizon, Carla awoke and stretched. She didn't need to stretch. Her muscles weren't stiff and never would be again, but the stretch reminded her of what it felt like to be human. It helped her prepare mentally to face the night. As an added bonus, she knew Gwen loved watching her stretch. She turned and Gwen did indeed look appreciative, giving her one of those dirty grins that always made Carla chuckle. She turned on her side and sidled up to Gwen, wrapping a leg around her and bringing her in for a kiss. Gwen's hand went to her hair, and Carla stroked Gwen's back as they lost themselves in each other for a few wonderful moments.

Eventually, painfully, Carla broke the kiss.

"We should probably get up," she said.

"I mean we don't have to," said Gwen.

"You just want to lay in bed and make out all night?"

"Just for a few hours. I'm sure we could get more creative from there."

"Mmm tempting, but we're working on something called a necros engine and Anika wants to finish by the end of the week. It sounds important," said Carla.

Gwen pulled a lock of her hair out between them and started playing with it.

"Awww, you work too hard. You spend all your time in the lab with our aunt," she said.

"Hey, I'm just trying to earn my place in the house, and besides if I keep working on magic maybe..." Carla looked away.

"It will come back. Anika said it would."

"Then why hasn't it? It's been a month."

"This kind of thing doesn't work on a timetable," said Gwen.

"I know but... I just don't want to lose everything because I was lazy," said Carla.

"After watching you for a month I don't think being lazy is something you ever need to worry about."

Carla didn't respond to that, but she supposed Gwen was right. The last month had fallen into a predictable pattern. She got up, spent some time with Gwen, usually just talking, but they went for walks in the gardens, too. After spending time with Gwen she went to the lab and worked with Anika. It was scut work mostly, carving runes and assembling skeletons, but it kept her busy and her mind occupied. Carla had focused on the work and hadn't really gotten to know any of the other Mircallas beyond the ones working in the lab. When she had gone out with them for drinks a few times after they finished work for the night, Gwen hadn't come with them. Gwen was always open and chatty with her but she seemed surprisingly shy with other members of the house. Then she met up with Gwen for a fencing lesson. After that they usually returned to their rooms and made love for an hour or two before the sun came up. Carla always thought she had a healthy libido, but her new state put the old her to shame. Carla had to admit it was a comfortable existence, and if you twisted her arm or used mind control on her she'd have to admit she was even happy. But the loss of her magic was a constant thrum of unease in the background. Until it returned, if it returned, she didn't really know who she was, what she was meant to be. She tried to content herself with what she had, and it was enough. For now.

Gwen was still looking at her and Carla could see the hurt in her eyes. Then Gwen looked away.

"I'm sorry," she said, "You're right of course. Your work is important. I just miss you. Which is silly, I know. I have time with you every night and sleep next to you every day. But I just feel... I don't know, I thought things would be different. I don't even know what I want to be different."

Carla touched her face, "You're right."

"I am?"

"I need a night off. I always used to do this. Focus too much on work. The only reason I had a boyfriend before is because he was at the place I worked. I've been neglecting you."

"You're my childe. You can't neglect me. I can only neglect you," said Gwen.

"Don't be ridiculous. We're in this together. Besides, don't argue with me. Do you want me to take the night off or not?"

"I do. I very much do!"

"Alright then. Let me send Anika a note, and we can get something to eat and go... Do you know what you want to do?"

"Maybe we could go out? I haven't been out of the palace very much unless I'm working. Do you like music?"

Carla touched Gwen's cheek, "Honey, I fucking love music."

Gwen broke out in one of her big smiles, "I heard some of the girls talking about a music hall in town. They were really raving about it."

"I think I know the one you mean. And that would be perfect."

...

The cab dropped them off in front of the Dorian and Carla stared up at it. It had been months since she had been here and she hadn't realized how much she missed it. She had spent many nights here after work, listening to the talented musicians who congregated at one of the largest trade cities in the northern kingdoms. She had come here with Sebastian, her sister, neighbors and friends. They had drunk together, laughed together, and enjoyed the music together.

As the war began and the Dragon approached the music hall had never closed down, the people needed the escape from their troubles even more as their troubles grew. Now as she stared up at it she was relieved it was still here. The large, three story building had all the windows lit and laughter and music drifted out into the street. There was no acknowledgement anything had changed. Carla swallowed and hoped she hadn't changed too much to be welcome here.

Next to her Gwen stared up at the Dorian with her, "This place looks amazing. Reminds me of home," she said.

"There are places like this in the dead kingdoms?" Asked Carla.

"There are in the Mircalla counties. We're great patrons of the arts. Have you been here before?"

"A few times," said Carla.

Gwen gave her a glance, catching the tension in her voice.

"It'll be fine," she said, "remember, this is our city now."

And with that Gwen walked up to the door. Carla recognized the doorman and bouncer from before, but if they recognized her they gave no sign. The doorman took one look at them and gave them a polite nod. No fear broke though his professional demeanor. He waved them in without asking them to pay the door fee but Gwen handed him a handful of brass pennies with a smile before they walked in.

The interior was achingly familiar and strangely different. The large round stage in the center of the room proclaimed this a house of music rather than a simple bar. The room was open to all three stories, with two layers of balconies, giving it a sense of space and grandeur. Tables were scattered around the room, and the room was already filling up with groups of patrons, ordering drinks and leaning forward in quiet, intimate conversations. The bar against the back wall was busy as ever, with three bartenders in constant motion. Waitstaff moved from bar to table, bringing the food and drink that kept the house afloat. The hum of conversation, the mixed smell of sweat, smoke and old wood brought back many comfortable nights with friends and family. It felt like the room was even more welcoming than before. More brightly lit, warmer and more comforting. With a chill Carla realized the light and heat hadn't changed. The room was lit just as it was before, but her eyes let her see into the darkest shadows. The heat and stuffiness of all these bodies in one place used to make Carla uncomfortable, but now her cool body welcomed the heat that it lacked on its own.

Gwen was turning in a circle, taking it all in, "This place is wonderful! I love the open design. I hope we build some like this back home. Where do you like to sit?"

Carla paused. The higher the floor, the greater the privacy. Patrons on the first floor were signaling they were open to being approached, whether it be a musician looking for patronage, a music lover offering to buy drinks for a performer, or most often someone hoping to flirt. On the second floor it was expected you would only approach a table if you already were an acquaintance of one of the people sitting at it, and on the third floor it was expected people keep to themselves.

"How about the second floor? You get a clear view of the stage," said Carla.

Gwen nodded, "Sounds good."

The second floor was just crowded enough that all the good tables were taken, but Gwen narrowed her eyes and glanced at a pair of middle aged merchants sitting at a prime balcony table. One of them noticed Gwen, froze, poked his companion, and they quickly got up and left.

"Gwen!" Said Carla.

Gwen gave her an innocent look, "What? I didn't say anything to them."

Carla shook her head but decided to let it slide. She really did like having a good view of the stage.

Carla and Gwen sat down just as the next act came on. It was a four person band with both an acoustic and bass guitar. They even had a drummer using one of the mage crafted drum sets, which were as powerful as a full drum set even though each drum was the size of a tambourine. They had a fast, edgy style that got the crowd going. When the act had finished there was wild applause. The band was very good and had an original style. That was always popular at the Dorian.

Gwen was among the most enthusiastic patrons, "That was fantastic."

Carla nodded. "They were very good. I liked how they've incorporated some of the newer music coming out of the central league states."

Gwen stared at her, "What?"

Carla laughed to herself, "Sorry, I'm kind of a music person."

"Oh really? I had no idea. I should introduce you to Caroline. A lot of the girls are into music and she knows all of them."

"I'd... I'd like that," The idea of having a group of peers to talk about music with was something she had always wanted. She had been so focused on her work in the lab with Anika that she hadn't really gotten to know the other house members. In truth she didn't really want to. She didn't want to admit she was one of them yet. But now the idea of finding a community that shared her interests made her reconsider.

Carla idly scanned the tables on the second floor then gave a start. On the balcony across from them, in a perfect viewing spot, where there should have been a table there was a strange distortion, almost like a heat haze.

"What is that?" Asked Carla.

Gwen followed her gaze, "Oh, probably one of our sisters using the Shroud. She's probably feeding and wants some privacy."

Carla squinted at the misty haze across the room. She saw hints of movement. The outline of shapes, then all of a sudden the haze cleared and Carla saw a plain looking man in a baggy coat sitting at a table with his lips on a beautiful woman's neck. The woman's eyes were closed and she was taking deep breaths. She almost looked asleep.

"But it's a guy."

"Oh really? Ugh, that means it's a Savon."

"How can you tell?"

"Well, it's a guy so not a Mircalla, a Gevudan would never come here because cities give them headaches, and Draculs never learn the Shroud. They want everyone to pay attention to them as much as possible. And Savons use the Shroud to feed. They sneak into people's bedrooms and bite them while they're sleeping. God, they're such creeps."

"Should we do anything?"

"No. No, it's not any of our business. It's just killing my mood," said Gwen.

"We can't let him hurt someone here."

"He won't. This place is popular with the houses. If people start disappearing from here and the scene dries up everyone will be pissed, so he'll be gentle if he knows what's good for him."

Then Gwen blinked "Hold on a minute. You can see them?" asked Gwen.

"You can't?"

"No... Carla, you must be using the Oracle!"

"What?"

"It's another one of the gifts. It lets you perceive things that are hidden. You can pierce illusions, see for miles, even read minds. I never got the hang of it but a lot of our house can use it. It's amazing that you developed it spontaneously," said Gwen.

"Do you think it will interfere with my magic?" asked Carla, with rising panic.

"No. I mean I don't think so... It really shouldn't... I guess we'll have to ask Anika."

Carla tried to suppress her fear. There was nothing she could do about it now and she didn't want to ruin the night.

Then the next act started. This one was an arcano duo, one played one of the mage-wrought amalgamators that could recreate almost any sound. He was using it to mimic an entire drum and horn section. He created far more elaborate instrumentals than a band could normally afford, though they were obviously fake. The singer had a high, nasal voice and sang a song with a satirical edge. It was sung from the perspective of a merchant prince, extolling the virtues of greed and corruption. The upbeat, jazzy tempo of the music coming from the amalgamator made the merchant prince sound absurd. And Carla found herself with a big grin on her face.

When the song was done there was a smattering of applause, but the people who did applaud were laughing and clapping very enthusiastically.

"What the hell was that?" asked Gwen.

"People can get pretty experimental here."

"I guess so. It wasn't bad actually. The music was good even though it was weird. What was he playing?"

"Something the guild cooked up a few years back," said Carla, "they haven't totally caught on yet."

"Carla?"

Carla turned to see a tall thin woman. She had a sharp face and plain brown hair. She was dressed in a blouse with flower embroidery and trousers and was carrying a guitar in a case.

"Elaine?" gasped Carla, going numb with shock. She hadn't expected to see anyone she knew here.

"Oh my god, it is you! I haven't seen you in months."

Carla stood, out of habitual politeness and shock, and Elaine went for a hug. But Carla backed away and half put up a hand. She was fighting down panic. She didn't want Elaine to feel how cool she was.

Elaine looked at her uncertainly, "Carla? Are you okay?" Then her eyes widened. "Oh my god, Carla, are you... are you a vampire?"

Carla froze, staying completely still, like a still life painting. She didn't trust herself to speak.

But Carla didn't need to say anything. Her unnatural stillness was the only confirmation Elaine needed, "Oh my god. Oh my god!" Said Elaine. She was staring at Carla with wide excited eyes.

Carla looked around, feeling a little lost. She saw Gwen was staring at her, looking amused for some reason.

"Elaine this is Gwen, she's my... she's the one that..." Carla trailed off at a loss.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," said Gwen, "How do you know Carla?"

"Oh wow you. You're her... You..." Elaine laughed with nervous excitement, loud and high pitched. Then she gathered herself,

"Carla... she used to come here all the time. She bought me a few drinks after I played to show her appreciation and we struck up a conversation and it kind of grew from there. We were both regulars. Carla has a really good ear."

"Elaine was my music buddy before... Before." said Carla, her anxiety temporarily dimmed as warm memories of her nights with Elaine at the club filled her mind. Carla even smiled.

"And Carla loved to vent to me about her horrible boss. We both got a lot of good laughs out of the bullshit he pulled. I even tried to set her sister up on a date with a drummer I knew."

"Turns out she would have gotten along better with Celia," said Carla.

"Oh. Oh, damn. I should have known. I always had a feeling," said Elaine.

"You did? I didn't."

"You get a sense for these things if you hang out with enough musicians," said Elaine, "So... how did you two meet?" asked Elaine.

Carla and Gwen looked at each other.

"It's kind of a long story," said Carla.

"Oh. sorry I didn't mean to pry. It's just..." Elaine ran a hand through her hair, "...You look really good, Carla."

"Thanks..." said Carla. She could hear the brusqueness in her own voice and felt bad. None of this was Elaine's fault, "...you look really good too."

Elaine didn't actually look that good. She was still pretty, of course. She had the grace and poise of a performer and a face and body that always turned men's heads when she took to the stage. But the rough around the edges look a lot of struggling musicians had was even more prominent now. Elaine always used to carefully style her hair and paid for blonde highlights, but now her hair was back to the original brown and hadn't been cut in a long time. She had circles under her eyes and no makeup to conceal them, and she looked a little thinner. Not starving but not well fed either.

"How have you been?" asked Carla carefully.

"Oh I've... I've been alright. It's been a little rough," said Elaine.

"With the occupation?" asked Carla.

"No, actually the last two weeks have been the best it's been in a while. Things have finally calmed down and I've been working more. I got my old job at the tea house on Clarens back and tips have been good. Everyone's eager to get back to normal. No I... I hurt my wrist a few months back and.. that set me back."

"Oh no, I'm so sorry," said Carla, "you should have come to see me."

"I didn't want to impose," said Elaine. Her voice was stiff with pride.

"You wouldn't have been," said Carla.

Elaine looked down and rubbed her cheek. For a second Carla thought she was blushing but then saw she was wrong. It was just the reddish tint of the mage lights.

"Thanks. I finally got it seen to but it was a lot of money. But things are getting better," Elaine sounded like she was trying to convince herself.

"Were you going to play tonight?" asked Gwen.

"No... no I'm... a little short on silver right now to pay the stage fee. Hopefully I'll get enough tip money to play later in the week. Or next week," said Elaine.

"Oh that's too bad," said Carla. She turned to Gwen, "She's really good."

"Well, let's get you on stage then," said Gwen.

"What," said Elaine and Carla, simultaneously.

"If Carla thinks you're good, I want to hear you," said Gwen.

Then she leaned down and gave Carla a quick peck on the cheek.

"Wait right here while I get Elaine set up," she said, "and I'll be back with some drinks."

Before Carla could protest further, Gwen put an arm around Elaine's waist and led her away, leaning up to talk to her quietly.

Carla stared after them, not really sure what Gwen was up to. Then she put her head in her hands. She should never have agreed to come here. She didn't want to see anyone from her past, and of all the people to run into Elaine was one of the worst. She had never quite tipped over into being a close friend but Carla had had some great nights drinking and laughing with her. And now it was ruined. Elaine had seen what she was now, she knew Carla was a monster. Having someone from her past, who knew what Carla had been and could compare it to what she was now reminded Carla of what she had lost, she felt a powerful burst of self loathing and had the briefest desire to sink her fangs into her arm.

"You okay?"

Carla looked up, it was the Savon from across the room. He was looking down at her with what appeared to be concern. Up close she saw it wasn't just his coat that was shabby. His hair was too long and stuck out in random curls. He was unshaven with white hairs showing in the fuzz. His shirt had some holes in it and his pants were those ridiculous baggy work pants carpenters wore that had pockets at the knees. He looked like one of those workmen that takes ten times as long as they should to finish a job because they take multiple two hour lunches every day. He had a completely ordinary and unremarkable face. The kind of person you're always mistaking for someone else.

"You want a drink? You look like you could use a drink," said the Savon. He held out a wine bottle to her.

"No thanks," said Carla.

"You sure? It's good stuff. Blood wine from one of your own wineries."

"I said no!"

"Okay, sorry. I just came over to say hi. I didn't mean to catch you out."

testudo
testudo
138 Followers