Dawn Rising

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
msnomer68
msnomer68
298 Followers

Janine's brilliant blue eyes eagerly surveyed her friend. She noticed the extra application of make up and the rosy blush on Alex's cheeks. Not to mention, Alex was dressed in some other color besides her usual brown. Whoever told Alex brown equaled successful career girl should be shot on site. The vibrant pink sweater was a good look for Alex. Well, not really. But, at least she wasn't dressed like somebody died. "Oh my GOD! You've found a man!" she exclaimed. The realization hit her like a ball bat upside the head.

"Who is he? You must tell me everything." Janine pulled the menu out from under Alex's nose to get her attention. Alex was predictable. She always ordered the same thing anyway. Girl talk, especially if Alex was getting some action was more important than the special of the day. "C'mon who is he? Who could have possibly swept my best friend off her feet? Who could be important enough to wear something more than funeral drab for? I swear I'm going to DIE if you don't tell me."

Alex rolled her eyes, exasperated at her friend's enthusiasm. " Maybe I just wanted to," she evaded. Janine's expression told Alex that she wasn't buying it and she thought her lame explanation was pure bullshit. "Janine, it's not like that. He's an acquaintance, that's all. A. CLIENT. He's helping me with the exhibit."

The waitress approached, pen poised, impatiently waiting for their order. After asking for her usual, Alex took a deep breath prepared to deflect Janine's barrage of questions. "AND," Janine prodded motioning with her well-manicured hand.

"And what?" Alex replied innocently at Janine's arched brow.

"Alright. He's sexy as hell," Alex replied. She took her time, sprinkling sweetener into her tea. The spoon clanked against the glass and ice cubed bobbed up and down in the tea. Let her best friend fume in curiosity for a few more minutes. It wasn't very often that Alex had something to hold over Janine's perfect blonde head. When she felt Janine had stewed long enough, before Janine could reach across the table and choke it out of her, Alex confessed. Her complexion reddened with the long list of Luke's finer attributes, with the ease that they came to mind. She hadn't been counting. Honestly. Nervously, she toyed with the wrapper off her straw. Just thinking about him made her pulse quicken.

"AND," Janine was excited and so happy for Alex. Impatiently, she gestured with her hand for Alex to spill all of the details. Alex had been a virtual hermit for far too long. It was about time she had some romance in her life. "Has he kissed you yet?"

Alex blushed a deeper crimson, "Yeah." She should have known better than to spill her guts to Janine. She'd never lied to her best friend. But, that didn't mean she had to tell her everything. Some things, Alex simply wanted to keep to herself. And the details of that stolen kiss were one of them.

Janine squealed in delight. "Details, Details!" she exclaimed. This was too good. The most fun Alex ever had was on laundry night. Was it too much to hope that her best friend had gone to the wild side and gotten some meaningless sex too? She was definitely rubbing off on her best friend. Such a positive influence, she congratulated herself on a job well done. Now, if she could just manage to get Alex laid before she hit thirty.

"It was..." Alex struggled for the words to describe it. Fabulous, awe inspiring, the best kiss of her life, none of those words seemed to fit. "Nice." Alex thanked the waitress when their orders arrived. Grateful that Janine would be busy chewing instead of asking more questions.

"NICE! Oh. Come. On. Alex, Nice?" Janine questioned, dumbfounded by Alex's downplay of the first kiss she'd probably gotten since grade school. She jabbed at lettuce leaves with her fork and shoved them into her mouth. Alex may be saying one thing, but the red tone to her skin indicated another. Janine was an expert at reading her BFF. Nice was so not the word. Janine took another bite of her salad, chewing furiously at the leaves so she'd have time for more questions before her lunch hour ended.

"Nice," Alex replied. She picked up the spoon and swished it around in her soup. All of the good stuff, the veggies she liked best, always sank to the bottom. Janine snorted at Alex's choice of words. Alex knew her sketchy highlights would never satiate Janine's need for details. But, unlike her BFF who blabbed everything including the nity-gritty. She was unwilling to share. "I'm not telling you anything else," Alex said and filled her mouth with a spoonful of soup.

"Oh, you don't have to." Janine beamed. "Tall, dark, and... oh very handsome coming this way. My GOD, he's like an orgasm on legs," she gasped in awe. "Have you checked out that package? I bet he's packing and it aint no one shooter either. Damn girl, nice hardly covers it, try... very, very, nice."

Alex shrank into the booth in humiliation of her best friend's assessment of Luke's finer attributes. Her face reddened, watching Janine's eyes travel down the length of Luke's long frame the way a starving dog would eye a T-bone steak. She felt his presence his eyes on her and not on Janine. That made her blush all the redder as he got closer to the table, wading through the crowd toward the booth.

Lucien smiled as he approached the booth. "Hi," he said casually, "mind if I join you ladies?" Janine positively glowed as she motioned for him to take the empty space next to Alex. Embarrassed as hell by Janine's unabashed checking out of Luke, Alex scooted over wedged between a wall and the hardness of his body.

"Hi, please excuse my friend's lack of manners, I'm Janine." She extended her hand to the mystery man Alex had not bothered to introduce. She was so excited for Alex, not only had she found a man. She'd found The man. A plan came into her mind. She looked at her watch, faking being in a rush, "Ooh, I'm going to be late." Hurriedly, she slid from the booth and gathered her coat. She slapped a ten-dollar bill on the table to cover her part of lunch. "It was very nice to meet you."

"Likewise. By the way, I'm Luke." He stood from the table and offered his hand. Janine took it in a polite squeeze. Janine was...Janine. Vibrant, energetic, and every bit as protective of Alex as he was she played her part with unparalleled perfection. She showed no recognition of him or of their connection.

Janine beat feet through the crowd. Turning to look at them with a sigh. She saw definite sparks of interest between Alex and Lucien. About damned time. All of these secrets were killing her. Better to be out with them than to keep hiding the truth. Lucien's attention was focused on Alex. Alex's attention was on her, glaring at her over Lucien's broad shoulder. Janine made a motion with her hand and mouthed, "Call me later." Giggling, Janine jogged out of the pub. They looked so good together, Janine mussed. She would take it as her personal mission to ensure that they stayed together... this time.

"I apologize for my friend," Alex muttered, "Sometimes she can be a little, ah enthusiastic." She sat her spoon down. Her mind wasn't on her lunch, but on other things. Feeling the gentle pressure of Luke's body as it brushed against hers in an accidental on purpose movement stirred her appetite for something more than food.

Lucien shrugged, "She means well. Her heart is in the right place." He genuinely liked Janine. He admired her zest and vigor for life as well as her loyalty to Alex. She was a good person, faithful and truthful to her friends. And best of all, she could keep a secret.

"I thought the volunteers would have commandeered you for lunch. I'm sorry I overlooked inviting you," Alex said with a hint of guilt in her voice. She'd practically pawned Luke off on the volunteers. Maybe this time, he'd find something on the menu he could eat. In a city filled with fast food and chain restaurants, he had to be starved. She waved down the waitress. Sitting this close to Luke was making her flustered. The waitress sauntered over and handed Alex her bill. Alex fished in her purse for her ATM card. Relieved that she had found it, she handed the card to the waitress. "Would you like something to eat, Luke?" Alex asked.

"Its not on the menu." Lucien replied, casting her a wolfish grin. He loved teasing her with innuendos. Alex, despite her grown up exterior was still Alex deep down on the inside. Innocent, shy, and she was just so utterly clueless, endearingly so, in the matter of attention from the opposite sex. When he'd first come across her in a crowded hallway at school and asked her out on the spot then and there. She turned him down flat, practically running for her next class. It had taken him weeks of hard pursuit to coax her into agreeing to a simple burger and fries at the local hangout. She had no idea how cute she was then or how beautiful she was now.

Alex ignored his comment, concentrating on making small talk instead of a flirtatious reply that was more Janine's style than hers. "How's the exhibit coming?" She had no idea of how to flirt. No idea of how to hook a man's interest or on how to keep it. This wasn't high school and Lucien had been a long time ago. She had dated since then, not much. But, she'd never found anyone that sparked her curiosity beyond a couple of chaste kissed. Nobody measured up, till now.

"We're done," Lucien replied proudly.

Alex's mouth fell open. How had they gotten it done so fast? "That's great!" She was impressed by her group of volunteers. "You guys must have really busted tail to get all of that done. Now if I can just get you recorded I'll be all set." Mentally she calculated the days left until her vacation. She just might pull off being ready to open the exhibit ahead of schedule. That would be one giant worry off her mind. And she could actually relax for once.

Alex signed the receipt and left a tip on the table. She scooted closer to Luke, waiting for him to get the hint and let her out of the confines of the booth. "Well, better get back to work. The ladies are here all day and they will be eager to get started on their next project."

Lucien gracefully stood, unfolding his height from under the table. "We don't want to keep the ladies waiting," he said, holding Alex's coat out for her. The motion of Alex sliding her arms through the wool sleeves brushed across his chest. His reaction was instantaneous and he had to remind himself that they were in public. The urge to pull her into his arms and kiss her senseless was almost overwhelming.

"Thanks," Alex said shyly as she slid her arms into the wool warmth of the coat. She felt his chest expand in a deep breath against her back. His fingers were soft on her neck, sliding her braid out from underneath her coat to rest over her shoulder.

Once outside on the bustling sidewalks, Luke casually slid an arm through hers. She looked up at him unsure of what to say. "Boy, what a chilly start to spring." She commented as they waited at the crosswalk for the light to change. The crowd of business people eager to cross the street pushed her closer against Luke.

"Yes, blackberry winter came early this year." Lucien commented, noticing how the chilly air turned her cheeks a rosy glow. He gently tugged her arm, guiding her across the flow of traffic. He held the door open for her, entering the museum. When they arrived at the third floor, Alex was all business as she directed the volunteers on which boxes of items should be unpacked and where the contents should be placed.

Alex was feeling self conscious underneath Luke's intense stare. Turning, she faced him, "Do you want to spend the rest of the day helping the volunteers or do you have some sightseeing to do?" He made her nervous, awkward, almost as if he was mentally cataloguing every move she made. She shifted her weight from foot to foot. Weak kneed from the intensity in which he studied her. She should be creeped out by his intense analysis of her. After all, they barely knew each other. Maybe, if the attention was unwanted or from a different man, it would be creepy, make her skin crawl. But, from him, his watchfulness made her feel safe...protected.

Desperate for a diversion, she said, "I have to complement you on your construction of the wigwa. I don't think any of the Shawnee could have done better." Her heart was pounding at his closeness. Her mind racing and she was running out of small talk. Eager for an escape, she headed down the hall, the heels of her boots making soft tapping noises against the tile. He was on her heels, following her and closing the distance between them. The man could move fast. Or maybe, it was that she moved too slowly, as if she wanted him to catch up with her.

Lucien followed Alex down the hall. He was relieved, apparently she remembered nothing about the dreams she had last night. Although, she was nervous around him, she didn't seem to be disturbed. The suggestions he had whispered in the darkness held. From him, she had nothing to fear.

He couldn't resist touching her. Slowly, he wrapped his hand around her arm stopping her. The hallway was abandoned. An empty, dusty stretch of tile and seldom used rooms ran along its length. They were as alone as they were going to get. This might be the only opportunity he had to get close to her before the drive home. He lowered his head down landing a light peck on her forehead. "Running?"

Alex closed her eyes allowing herself to revel in his closeness, just for a minute. She leaned closer, resting her head on his shoulder. The sensation of his lips on her skin seared her. Stirring the familiar burn of need that had been previously dormant inside of her. She looked up into the depths of his brown eyes. Something familiar to her flashed within them. Just a glimpse of who he really was beneath their surface. "Ah...no."

"Shh," Lucien whispered, "not all moments need words." He slid his finger across the silk of her cheek and down along her jaw, cupping her face in his palms. The skin beneath his fingers was incredibly warm and soft. The kiss was slow, enticing, almost agonizing as they explored one another's mouths.

He relished the taste and scent of her as his tongue probed the depths of her mouth. Her heartbeat raced in his ears fueling his need. His fingers trailed along the length of her arm, guiding it up around his neck. Once he was sure she wouldn't pull away from him, he guided the palm of his hand under her coat down along her back and around her waist feeling the soft texture of her cardigan and the warmth of her body against his fingertips.

Alex's mind raged. Nagged her to stop. She shouldn't be doing this with him. She felt the warmth of his hand as it rested on her waist, pulling her close. She could feel his want against her hip. He felt so good. Hard in complement to her softness, as if they were matching pieces made for one another. The kiss consumed her. Had any other kiss felt so right?

How long had it been since she had let anyone get this close to her? Her senses reeled as she acknowledged his desire for her. She could feel its heat pressing against her. "Let go," a voice inside her urged. "Live in the moment," it whispered. A deep and wanton moan escaped from her throat. Shocked at the sound, that she could make such a sound, she slid her arm from around his neck and placed her palm firmly against his chest.

Lucien released Alex and searched her face for clues. The lids of her eyes were heavy, hiding the want that glimmered in their brown depths. Her skin was flushed and warm. Her breathing was panting and her heartbeat bounding. The air was permeated with traces of the scent of her desire. Physically, she enjoyed what he was doing. His thoughts whispered suggestions that went against his roaring need. "Take it slow." Good advice. Smiling down at her, he traced the outline of her lips with his fingertip.

Alex's body stiffened as she fought against his seductive onslaught. She was a professional woman. She needed to act like one. Making out in a deserted hallway with a volunteer, a member of The Sons, the largest donors the museum had ever encountered. Certainly wasn't a way to show her commitment to her job.

Some of the department heads were jealous of the fat check she'd managed to land in the museum's back pocket. And the last thing she needed was a bunch of stodgy, old prunes gossiping about how they assumed she got the donation if they happened to catch Luke and her in the hallway, pawing at each other like a couple of horny teenagers. "I've really got to get busy."

"Yeah," he replied with a crooked smile, "my girls are probably wondering where I've run off to." Lucien released Alex and took a step back. Approach, tempt, and leave her to ponder the deeper meaning of a brush of lips, a subtle touch, and a phrase or two. As an adult, his skills of seduction had gotten much, much better. In the throws of teenage awkwardness and uncertainty, he'd taken weeks to work up to daring to hold her hand, let alone indulge in a kiss.

Alex stifled a snicker. In her mind she recalled the smitten looks on the volunteer's faces and the way they hovered around him. She wasn't jealous of a bunch of sixty-somethings. "Geriatric groupies, eh?" she teased. Not that she could blame the women. Luke practically oozed male sexuality from every pore.

Lucien nodded, chuckling at Alex's humor. "I'm the man. What can I say?" he spread his arms wide and shrugged. "Can I give you a ride home tonight?" The brief make out session in the hall wasn't going to be enough. Her scent had dulled, changed back into its normal spring meadow smell. He wanted to wrap himself up in the musk of her arousal, let it permeate every inch of his skin. Seduce her and take his time to revel in her surrender. Keep her. Close.

"Well, I've got a train pass. It's not nearly as cold today and I'm definitely going home before dark." Alex replied as she backed away from Luke. She needed some distance. If she accepted his invitation, it may lead to an invitation up to her apartment and into her bed. That would be nice. But, she wasn't going there. Not with a guy she'd just met, no matter how tempting his kisses or how badly she wanted another one was.

Not wanting to push, Lucien begrudgingly conceded. "Call me if you change your mind. It would be my pleasure. My hotel is only a couple of blocks from your apartment building. It isn't out of my way to drop you off. "

"Thanks," Alex said. She retreated down the dusty hallway. She half-expected, almost guiltily, for someone to leap from behind one of the closed doors and point an accusatory finger in her direction. She hadn't done anything wrong. Besides, mix business with pleasure, that is.

The offer for a ride home in his heated SUV was tempting. But, she was afraid of another temptation he offered. She took a moment to gather her thoughts. A little sweat would do her good. Not that she'd eaten much of her lunch. But, calories were calories and she needed to burn a few. The stairway was as empty as the hallway on the third floor. The heels of her shoes clanked noisily against the wood stairs, making a hollow sounding boom as she climbed the two flights to her office.

Chapter 7

He certainly reminded her of someone. She'd narrowed down the list of possibilities to one. Lucien. Her memory was fuzzy on the exact details. But Luke made her feel the same way she had felt in Lucien's arms. There was something more than that to it. The way he looked at her, like she was the only woman on the planet. Lucien was the only one who had ever looked at her like that. The glint in his brown eyes was so similar to Lucien's. With a shiver, she had to remind herself that Lucien was gone. Buried in a quiet cemetery back home.

Lucien was lost in thought as he made his way back to the exhibit. He wanted so badly to tell her the truth about who he was. Her reaction to the dreams cautioned him against it. Her subconscious had put two and two together and the logical part of her brain had rejected it. Transforming the truth into a nightmare that had her gasping and screaming in the night. She wasn't ready to hear the truth, yet. Being so close to her. Feeling the warmth of her body against his. Smelling her luscious floral scent, like that of a sun warmed meadow, flooded his mind with memories of long ago. Before things changed so much for the both of them.

msnomer68
msnomer68
298 Followers
1...45678...36