Dawn's Never Ending Glow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*****

Sam held tightly on to Marcus's hand, refusing to let go despite the daggers her brother aimed at her with his glowering stare. She was ready to confront Dane and force him to see the fact that she was going to be with Marcus and there wasn't anything he could do about it. The truth was that Marcus and she already considered themselves married. That day in the woods was their ceremony. It was time to stop hiding behind a thin veil of obedience to her brother. Marcus was her husband and she loved him.

Marcus squeezed Sam's hand, stopping her before she could go toe to toe with Dane. This was not the place or the time for a family feud. "We'll tell him soon. I promise," he whispered. He was proud to call Sam his wife. Wildly, crazy in love with her, but he worried about what Dane would do when he found out. There was any number of ways he could make their lives hell. And he'd do anything in his power to split them up. Marcus was willing to risk himself for her. But, he didn't want her paying the price for loving him. He was good at reading people. And Dane just needed a little more time to digest the idea.

****

Anna broke away from the party, searching out Janine. Catching up with her as she turned walk the trail to the compound. The days were strangely quiet without Janine around to liven things up. Patrick wasn't the only one who missed her. Without her to manage their wardrobes and to hassle them into looking their best, most of the brothers couldn't even match a pair of socks. And their silk boxers were in a deplorable state. "Are you leaving so early?"

Janine smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I think so. I'm really tired." Anna fell into an easy stride beside her. Janine didn't want her to leave her own party. She stopped and plucked a stray rose petal out of Anna's hair. "You were amazing today," she said, watching the white petal lazily drift to the ground.

Anna grasped Janine's hand and gave her fingers a tight squeeze. "Thanks. We'll be here again, soon, for your wedding. I just know it." Janine had that lost puppy look to her. It was so difficult for her not to be by Patrick's side. And she hadn't quite mastered the art of being on her own yet. Anna got it, she really did. Sometimes, a woman had to do what she had to do, even if it meant moving on.

"Maybe, someday. But, I doubt it'll be anytime soon." Janine smiled bitterly. There was only one thing she hated worse than being taken for granted and that was pity talk. Anna was just trying to make her feel better. Janine pulled her fingers out of Anna's grasp and toyed with the pleats in her skirt. "Have a great time tonight. Embrace it. This night is for you."

"Thanks," Anna said. She felt she had to say something more. Words that would give Janine pause to think before she totally gave up on Patrick for good. "Patrick really does love you, you know." She wanted to tell Janine about her conversation with him last night. But, she worried that Janine would consider it meddling in her business. It needed to appear to Janine that Patrick had come up to his own conclusions without any intervention or she'd never believe it.

Janine shrugged off Anna's comment. How could Anna be so certain of that when she wasn't even sure of it herself? She really didn't want to spoil Anna's evening by discussing her failed relationship with Patrick. Possibly, he did love her in some demented way. Love wasn't the real issue here. She wanted her happily ever after. And she didn't know if Patrick would ever give it to her. He had so many hang-ups and put too many barriers between them. If he did love her, it was only on his terms. And she couldn't accept that.

"Congratulations, Anna," Janine said. "You and Toby deserve the best." She cast a weary smile at Anna and turned to walk up the trail alone.

Janine wasn't sure how Patrick felt about her or how she felt about him anymore. At the moment, she was too tired to think about it. The whole issue was nothing more than a confusing, heartbreaking, and frustrating mess. She wiped away a stray tear and dried the back of her hand on the skirt of her dress. Seeing her friends marry was bittersweet. She was happy for them. But, just a little saddened by their happiness. It didn't make any sense. She just wanted to know when would it be her turn? Before, she'd never guessed at whom she'd marry. She was so certain that it was going to be Patrick. But now, things were different and she simply didn't know anything anymore.

Anna wound her way through her guests and found the one guest she'd been looking for. None too subtly, she nudged Patrick. "If you want her back, you'd better get moving." She pushed him toward the trail. "She's hurting, go to her."

Reluctantly, Patrick moved to follow Janine. Anna's advice rang in his ears. It was go time, now or never. He didn't know how he'd find the words, or if he had the courage. But if he didn't try, it wouldn't matter much. He was going to lose her, if he didn't do something. Biting his lip in nervous frustration, he hung back, trying out words the way Janine tried on clothing. Practicing them over and over in his mind until the jumbled mish mash of thoughts, ideas, and emotions, flowed into something that at least made sense.

Bryce dropped down out of the trees, landing stealthily on his feet a few yards behind Janine. Gently, he tapped her on the shoulder. She squeaked in shock. "Don't do that you nearly gave me a heart attack!"

Bryce chuckled. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." He fell in step beside her and stuffed his hands into his pockets. He couldn't stop thinking about her. Weird as it sounded, underneath his black fatigues, he still wore the t-shirt she'd sweated all over earlier today. He wasn't a stalker or anything like that. She just smelled nice. "Are you doing ok?"

"Sure." Janine shivered against the chilly night air, wrapping her arms around her chest. The sunburn on her cheeks and neck made the breeze seem colder than it actually was. Even with Bryce to keep her company on the trail, she still felt so lonely. Unable to hide it, she sniffled lightly and turned her face away.

"You're crying," Bryce said gently. Yeah, some keen observer he was. He'd been walking beside her for fifty yards and just now noticed. Damn he hated it when women cried. Talk about feeling awkward and inadequate, he was so much better at the whole guy thing than dealing with a woman's tears. Gingerly wrapping an arm around her shoulders, he guided her to his chest and rested her cheek over his heart.

"I always cry at weddings," Janine said defensively into Bryce's shirt. Great. First, she'd sweated all over him and now she was going to snot all over him. Good way to make a lasting impression. "Besides, I'm not crying. Its seasonal allergies."

"Ok, sure." Bryce held Janine way closer than was necessary. She fit up against him as if she were made for him. And damn did it feel nice. He clamped down on his emotions. He was already past his daily quota of scowls from the brothers and lectures from Lance. He didn't have at tissue and his shirt was getting positively soaked from her tears and another bodily fluid he didn't really want to think about. That was ok. She could snot on him anytime. Leading the way with his perfect night vision, he guided her up the trail, keeping one arm locked around her curvy waist. "You need a ride home?"

Janine nodded empathetically. At first, she'd planned to spend the night in her old room. But it was too close to Patrick. She could sense him, everywhere. She straightened up and shimmied out from under his arm. The last thing she needed was for Patrick or one of the brothers to stumble across them and see them walking together arm in arm. And think something that was totally...well, mostly... unfounded. Ending the night in a nasty pissing contest and possibly a testosterone fueled brawl. "Sounds great."

Janine was dripping like a sugar tree. Tears streaked her face and rolled down her cheeks. Trying to be the gentleman, Bryce pulled the hem of his shirt out of his pants and offered it to her. He didn't know what else to do. The very least he could do was sacrifice his shirt for the greater good.

She scowled at Bryce. She didn't care if snot ran down her upper lip or not. She was not going to blow her nose on the hem of his shirt. Embarrassed, she wiped her face with the back of her hand and dried it on her skirt.

"Gross?"

Janine nodded. "Totally." Bryce held out his arm and she slid beneath it. He slowed his steps to match her pace. With no place else to put her arm, she draped it around his waist and hooked her thumb through one of his belt loops. They bumped hips as they walked. She rested her head on his shoulder enjoying the easy comfort of his friendship.

Patrick shrank back into the shelter of the trees, shaking with fury. He bristled as he watched Bryce put the moves on Janine. Bryce was a brother. And he thought he could move in to his territory when his back was turned. He gnashed his fangs in rage. Stung by the deep sting of jealousy and betrayal. His eyes focused on Bryce's back and the gentle sway of Janine's hips as she walked beside him. Janine was his woman, completely off limits to anyone but him. It was a matter of honor. And the son of a bitch scamming on his woman had no honor.

Inside his head, Patrick's beast roared for blood. And he could make Bryce bleed, a lot. He clenched his hands into fists and trembled from the force of restraining himself from going after Bryce and taking out every bit of his fury on the man. In his present state of mind, he would kill him. He moved out of the bushes as Bryce and Janine disappeared around a bend in the trail.

Patrick stood there, inhaling the night breeze infused with Janine's scent. He smelled the hot wash of her tears and the acrid tinge of her sadness on the air. Subtle, mixed into the undercurrent of the breeze was something else, faint and barely detectable, the musky aroma of lust and attraction. He was too late. How could she do it? Move on so quickly while he stayed put in a state of suspended animation? She didn't love him anymore. Not only had his brother betrayed him. But so had she. Angered beyond the point where anything made sense. And his only companion was the rage flowing in his veins. He ran into the woods and let the darkness swallow him whole.

Chapter 53

Anna giggled as Toby covered her eyes, blocking her view with the palms of his hands. Leading her along the twisting winding corridors of the compound, he inched her forward. "Where are we going?" She had to admit, as beautiful as the wedding was, she was glad it was over and they could get to their honeymoon. Finally. She twisted the skeleton key in her fingers and bit her bottom lip in anticipation.

"On our honeymoon. And its time for your big surprise," Toby answered. He plucked the key from her fingers and slid it into the lock. The tumbler slid back on a soft whisper and he pushed the door open. He was careful to keep Anna's eyes covered with his hand gently pressed across her closed lids. Uncovering her eyes, he swooped her up in his arms to carry her over the threshold. "Welcome home."

Anna gasped as Toby turned on the lights. Her favorite belongings decorated the walls and tables. He'd even managed to arrange some of her old furniture in with the new pieces. In the confusion of the weeks preceding the wedding, she'd forgotten that Chris had packed her things and brought them to the compound. She'd been meaning to ask, but hadn't gotten around to it. This was her surprise. Gently, Toby set her feet down on the carpeted floor and gave her space to explore.

Anna picked up the throw draped over the back of the couch and wrapped it around her shoulders. The thing was older than dirt and frayed at the edges. She brought a corner up to her nose and inhaled, smiling at the familiar scent of home. "Oh Toby, this is the best surprise I've ever had. Is all this for us?" she asked turning around to take it all in.

"For you." Toby grinned, leading her from the sitting room, through the French doors into their bedroom. The headboard was scratched with time and age and the mattress had a permadent from where she slept on the same side night after night. But, he couldn't bring himself to get rid of it. After all, it was in this bed that they spent their first night together and on this mattress that he made love to her fir the very first time. "Are you surprised?"

"I'm speechless," Anna answered. "You did this for me?" The rooms were decorated in bright brilliant colors, all of her favorite shades. Even though her surroundings were new, she felt so at home. Surrounded by the comforting presence of all her personal belongings. She smiled up at Toby, blinking back a tear of happiness.

"I had a lot of help. This is a gift from everyone." Toby reached out and tackled Anna, dropping her onto the bed. He kissed a trail from her collarbone and hovered over her mouth. "Which room do you want to christen first?"

"The bedroom should be first. Definitely, the bedroom. But, don't think you're getting off the hook. I want to christen all of them, tonight." She wrapped her arms around Toby's neck, pulling him close. "Exactly how many rooms are there?"

Toby grinned down at Anna with a positively male, wolfish, possessive grin. She smiled up at him, her smile curling her lush lips. He'd gone through hell and back with her. And she'd fought him every step of the way. He couldn't help but be a little cocky. In the end, love won out. But, then again, it always did. Claiming her mouth with a deep kiss, he chuckled. Keeping his last secret under tight guard, he whispered, "We'll have fun finding out."

Anna sighed contentedly, molding her body against Toby's. She pulled him down and kissed him with all she was worth, leaving him breathless and clutching the comforter in his fists. She thought when she was thrown headlong into this crazy life, she'd lost so much. But, she'd gained so much more than she'd ever dreamed. She had a life here. Friends. And love, always so much love. Toby had somehow rescued her from her worst enemy, herself, and given her everything he'd promised he would. And at long last, she had her happily ever after. "You bet. Lots and lots of fun."