Deadly Waters Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why here?"

She shrugged. "You're the cop, you tell me."

"Anything special about this ditch?"

"This is where the bugs do most of the breakdown of the biological solids. They can't handle the bones, teeth, and clothes, but given enough time, they'd do a pretty good job eating a person."

He looked back toward the mixer. As big as the motor was, if the body got in there it'd probably be very effective in breaking a person into bite-sized chunks. The real question was... how did the body get into the plant in the first place? "You realize we're going to have to question everyone who works here?"

She grimaced. "Why am I not surprised? I can tell you this, nobody here did it."

"How can you be so sure?"

"How would they? It's not like you can just haul a body out here and chuck it into the drink. The place is manned by at least two people twenty-four, seven. So, unless at least two people were in on it, somebody would notice."

"You said the body had to have been dumped into the ditch, so it got in there somehow," he pointed out.

She stared at the ditch a moment. "Yeah," she replied, drawing the word out, "but I have no idea how."

"What can you tell me about Boyd Thacker?"

She looked down and shook her head. "That's going to take a while." When he didn't say anything, she sniffed. "Can we go back to the office? I'm freezing."

"Yeah. Hang on a minute."

They walked back to Fish and Chips. He stepped away from Maggie and waited until Fish turned toward him. He gave a jerk of his head to call his officer to him. "Need anything from me?" Sean asked quietly when Fish joined him.

Thomas Fisher, Fish to all who knew him, shook his head. Another young cop like Chips, he blew on his hands and then stuck them into his pockets. Where Chips was about average in height, and built like a football player, Fish was taller, about six-two, and slimmer, with dishwater blond hair, startling blue eyes, and a Romanesque nose that looked like a beak.

"No. I think we've gotten about all we're going to get from talking to the guys who found him. Not much to it. Tim saw the body, needed help to pull it out, and that's it. I think it's obvious the body has been in there for a while. Once we're done with the interviews, Chips and I will walk the area, but honestly, I don't expect to find anything, do you?"

Sean gave his head a rueful shake then looked around the area. "No, probably not, but do it anyway."

Fish grinned. "I just want to go on record saying I hate you."

Sean chuckled, caught off guard by the out of context comment. "Why?"

"I'm out here freezing my ass off, and you're standing there with a windbreaker on like it's a spring day."

Sean chuckled again. He had a good crew and he enjoyed the easy-going nature of the department. "It's only, what, thirty-five, forty degrees? We still go swimming in weather like this."

Fish grimaced and shook his head. "Like I said, I hate you."

Sean grinned and slapped him on the back. "Just wait until summer when I'm dying from the heat." He glanced at the plant manager. "I'm going to go talk to... what's her name? The plant manager?"

"Maggie. Maggie Neese."

"That's right. I'm going to talk to her about this Thacker guy and try to find out his story."

Fish flashed a grin then shook his head. "I'm not saying what happened is right, but I can't feel sorry for the guy. He was a real piece of work."

"You knew him?"

"Knew of him. Most everyone who worked for the city knew Mr. Boyd Thacker. Talk to Maggie. She had the most dealings with him and can fill you in on all the details. They butted heads... a lot."

Sean nodded. "Thanks for the heads up. You want to take the lead on this?"

Fish groaned in mock dismay. "My first murder investigation. You do realize that other than a few robberies, I've never had to investigate anything, right? Isn't this your thing?"

Sean gave him a tight smile. "Fish, I've never investigated a murder either, but it's just like every other crime. Follow the clues and see where they go. If you need backup, get Chips, or me, and we'll help you where we can."

"You'll have my back on this?"

"Count on it. I'm not hanging you out. That's not my style."

Fish gave him a nod and a sideways grin. "Then sure. Chips and I will take a swing at it. If we can't figure it out, maybe we can find a big city detective to show us the ropes. Know where we can find one?"

Sean chuckled. "Raleigh is only forty minutes away. Call them."

Fish's grin widened at Sean's dry, self-deprecating humor. "Got it."

Sean wiped the smile off his face and then turned and walked toward his car. "Want a ride?" he asked Maggie as he passed, noticing her red nose and ears. "Save you from having to walk back in the cold."

She smiled. "I'd love one, thanks."

.

.

.

TWO

Sean pulled to a stop in front of the plant administration building before he and Maggie stepped out of his car. He glanced in the direction they'd come and realized he couldn't see his officers or their cars. Blocking the view of most of the ditch were a pair of huge yellow and black generators and a large, faded green and rust streaked prefab metal building. The dumping of the body without someone seeing just became much easier. "I want to look at something," he said as he stepped away from his car.

He walked around the end of the building for a better view, and then continued along the entire width of the building. No matter where he stood, he could see no more than half the ditch. The plant was built on a slight hill, the oxidation ditch at one end of the facility, the entrance and admin building at the other. There was a gentle slope running from right to left as he looked in the direction of the ditch, with a shallow depression between them.

"What are you looking at?" Maggie asked as she stepped up beside him.

"I noticed I can't see the patrol cars."

"Yeah. The plant is built in kind of an 'L.' The waste comes in up there," she said, pointing to the highest point on the yard, "and runs downhill until we discharge it back there," she added pointing to another large prefab metal building, this one gray and in better repair, at the lowest point in the yard. "We let gravity do most of the work for us."

He scanned the yard. "What's in the big green building?" he asked, nodding in the direction of the structure blocking part of the view of the oxidation ditch.

"That's our equipment shed. It's where our skidder, mowers, and other equipment are kept."

He nodded as he continued to look over the facility. "Maybe you can give me a tour sometime."

She sniffed then flashed a smile. "I'd be happy to. Other than a school tour once a year, people like to pretend we don't exist. They don't like to think about what happens to their poop when they flush."

"So, what's the story on Thacker?" he asked as he turned back toward the front of the building, waving his hand in an 'after you' gesture.

"What do you know about him?" she asked as she led him back to the entrance.

"Not a thing, so start at the beginning."

When they reached the front of the building he opened and held the glass door for her. As she passed, nodding her thanks, he smiled at the plant name neatly stenciled on the glass at eye level—Lizard Lick Creek WWTP—and then followed her into the building. The building was typical government construction, concrete block walls painted an inoffensive pale yellow, with a medium gray tile floor containing embedded flecks of red and green. It was much like the police station in that respect.

"This way," she said.

Shrugging out of her coat as she turned left and walked down the hall, she paused at a small office long enough to hang her coat on a peg just inside the door, and then continued down the hall to the break room. Along one side of the room, under the small, dirty, high mounted window, was a well-worn, brown leather couch facing a dark and silent television sitting on a rickety looking cabinet. In the center of the room, between the sofa and TV, was a battered and scarred table with ten comfortable looking chairs around it. At the far end of the room was a door leading outside, the sunlight streaming in through the door's window illuminating the dust dancing in its beam. The rest of the room was taken up by white metal cabinets, refrigerator, electric stove, microwave, and a commercial coffee maker sharing space with a sink.

"Can I get you anything?" she asked as she stopped in front of the coffee maker. "I'm going to get some coffee to warm up. Aren't you freezing?"

"No, but I'll take a cup if you're offering."

"Boyd Thacker is, was, the riverkeeper for the Siouan River," she began as she handed Sean a disposable cup, then pulled a large mug from the overhead cabinet with I'm a Coffee Connoisewer lettered on the side. She filled her cup and then stepped aside so Sean could do the same before adding a healthy helping of creamer to hers.

"Behind the plant is Lizard Lick Creek, and—"

"I saw that on the door. Lizard Lick Creek? That's really the name?" he interrupted with a soft chuckle as he filled his cup and then returned the carafe to the warming plate and stepped back.

She grinned. He made no move to doctor his coffee so she turned away and led him back down the hall. "That's really the name. We call it LLC for short. Anyway, we discharge into LLC, and then about three miles downstream, it empties into the Siouan. Back in early September, Hurricane Chasity came through here and made a real mess of things."

"I remember that. We got a bunch of rain in Boston from it," he said as he followed her into her office.

On the wall opposite the window overlooking the parking lot was a large topographic map showing a bunch of lines and symbols leading to the wastewater plant in the center. He paused long enough to glance at the plat showing all the lift stations and lines that fed the plant, but it didn't mean much to him, so he quickly turned away and took in the rest of the room. Maggie's office was cluttered with stacks of paper and a few plants, but there were very few personal items on display.

"Have a seat," she offered as she stepped behind her desk, a brown metal affair that looked like something from the 1950's. She sat down as he turned away from the map and wrapped her hands around the cup to warm them.

"Yeah. Here we got about fourteen inches of rain. Flooded the crap out of us and we had a major hydraulic overload."

He settled into one of the supremely uncomfortable guest chairs. The chairs were metal with too straight of a back, not enough padding, and were covered in worn rust colored fabric. "Which means what?"

"Which means we were taking in more water than we could handle. Facilities are designed to handle wastewater loads, not stormwater loads. The pond in the park overflowed its banks and was pouring into one of our largest lift stations. Lift stations are at the lowest point in a given area, so naturally all the water flows there. No way we could handle that." He nodded in understanding. "We service not only Brunswick, but also Tilley and Abbyville. We're rated for eight million gallons a day, and we can handle fifteen to eighteen in a spike. Our normal volume is between four and five, but during the teeth of the storm we were taking in about twenty-five. We had several pumping stations flood, and we simply couldn't handle it. To be honest, Chasity kicked the crap out of us. We were without power, running on generators, for a little over three days. Needless to say, we spilled, and spilled a lot."

"I assume that means untreated waste got into the water?"

"Yeah. We don't know exactly how much because once it started pouring over the sides of the tanks, we had no way to measure it, but we estimated something between fifty and sixty million gallons spilled. All that sewage, along with all the bugs that got stirred up, ran into the creek."

"You've said bugs twice now. I assume you don't mean actual bugs."

She flashed him a quick grin. "Not insects, no. Bugs is what we call the bacteria that breaks down the waste."

"Got it. Sixty million gallons sounds like a lot."

"It is a lot. We lost so many bugs we had a real problem for a month or so afterwards because the bacteria population was so depleted the plant wasn't operating efficiently. We had to keep sending the waste back through the system until the bacteria population could grow enough for the plant to start working properly again."

"What does this have to do with Thacker?"

She smiled as she took a sip from her cup. "I'm getting to that. You said start at the beginning."

He grinned and nodded once in acknowledgement. "So I did. Sorry."

"No problem. The same bacterial process we use here in the plant occurs naturally, just not as fast. When you dump a lot of nutrients into the water, and that's all this stuff is, nutrients, the bacteria multiply and that sucks all the oxygen out of the water. That's why we aerate the water, to inject oxygen into it so the bugs can do their work. In the wild that doesn't happen and the oxygen gets so low all kinds of bad things start to happen. Fish kills are the most obvious. We reported the spill to the state, just like we were supposed to, but we made the news because of it. Boyd Thacker got involved, and what would have been nothing but a normal reporting event got blown all out of proportion."

"What do you mean?" he asked before taking a pull from his own cup.

She sighed and took another sip herself. "There have been fish kills on this part of the Siouan off and on for years. Nobody knows why, though the best guess is that it's caused by runoff from local farms. There's a guy up stream of us who raises horses and a few cows, not to mention all the farmers that fertilize. That's another source of nutrients. Rain washes the animal dung and fertilizer into the river, the bugs have a field day, and then you have a low-level fish kill. Anyway, when it was reported we had such a large spill, he, Boyd I mean, was all over it, blaming Brunswick for all the other fish kills. Never mind most of the wastewater plants in the path of Chasity had major spills, and never mind there were no kills as the result of it. None of that mattered. He had a target, and he was milking it for all it was worth."

"Milking it?"

"What do you know about the riverkeepers?"

"Not a thing. Never heard of them until a few minutes ago, when Officer Langley mentioned it."

"Riverkeepers is a non-profit group that monitors water quality all around the country. Maybe around the world for all I know."

He found her tone interesting. "I take it you think that's a bad thing?"

"Not a bad thing in and of itself. The problem I have with the riverkeepers is their funding depends on donations, so the more trouble they can stir up, the more they keep their name out there and have people think they're protecting the environment, the better for them. Thacker's accusations were totally unfounded, but that didn't keep him from getting his face on the television, yammering on about how Brunswick was polluting the water, etc., etc., etc. The city could show we were operating in compliance with our permits, and we hadn't had an NOV in years until then, but none of that mattered. The—"

"NOV?" he interrupted, saying it like Maggie did and pronouncing each letter individually.

"Notice of Violation. That's the state saying, 'You screwed up.' Normally you get a fine along with it, but we weren't even fined because after the state's investigation, they realized there was nothing we could have done to prevent the spill. That, and the fact that dozens of other plants spilled as well. Anyway, we tried to get that information out there, but that's not good copy. Where Thacker was on the front page, our response was buried back on page ten somewhere. Where he was the lead on the local news, complete with video, we'd get a two-sentence mention at the end of the story."

He grinned and took another sip. He'd seen his captain dealing with the same issues with the press in Boston. "I feel your pain."

"While all this was going on, we had a bunch of protesters out there in front of the gate. We haven't had any in the last couple of months, but there for a while they were marching around and waving signs almost every day, and of course the news was here filming it all. Boyd, he was calling for criminal prosecution against me, demanding access to the plant to review our records, and generally being a pain in the... rear."

His lips cracked into a half grin because he had the impression the way she paused there at the end, she'd changed what she was going to say at the last moment.

"When he found out the city wasn't even fined, he really hit the roof," Maggie continued. "He got himself arrested a couple of times for being disruptive in city council meetings, accused the town of a cover up, and filed a couple of lawsuits. Because nothing was happening, and the state gave us a pass, he was starting to be ignored. Now this happens. This is going to stir up the crap again, I just know it."

"So, you and he didn't get along?" Sean asked, his grin spreading.

She blew out a puff of air from between her lips. "Hardly. Having him outside my gate, talking to people on a bullhorn, accusing me of all kinds of misdeeds? I won't say I'm glad he's dead, but don't expect me to attend his funeral, either. I wanted to sue him for slander, but the city attorney said that was just what he wanted because it kept the story in the news, and for me to ignore him."

"Anything else you can tell me?"

"No, not really. I know that, except for the crazy environmentalists, nobody liked him." She paused, considered her coffee a moment as she frowned, and then looked back up. "That's unfair. Maybe he was a good guy, doing what he thought was right, but he sure didn't endear himself to anyone who worked at the wastewater plant or on the city council."

"Did you hear anyone threaten him?" he asked.

He watched her, and he could tell she was carefully considering her answer.

"Yes," she finally said, drawing the word out slightly. "But none seriously. By that I mean, I heard several of my guys say things like how they'd like to have five minutes alone with him out behind the plant. I probably said similar things myself, but you know how it is. You're mad at someone and you say something like, 'I could kill that guy!' but that doesn't mean you'd actually do it."

"Understood, but nobody said anything that made you think they'd actually do it?"

"No. Absolutely not. It was just mouthing off because he was basically questioning the competency and integrity of every person who works here."

Before he could say anything else, his phone rang. "Excuse me a minute," he said as he stood and dug the phone out of his pocket. "Sean."

"Chief, the coroner's office is here," Fish said.

"I'll be right there," he replied then ended the call. "The coroner is here. I need to talk to him. Thanks for speaking to me. We'll line up some interviews and we'll come here to minimize the disruption. Do you have a room we can use where we won't be disturbed during the interviews?"

"You can use my office I guess."

He smiled. "Thanks. This is a formality, but we have to do it."

"I understand. Just let me know what you need and I'll make sure my guys know to cooperate."

"Thanks. We'll try to stay out of your way as much as possible."

He stepped out of Maggie's office, walked briskly to his car, and then drove back around the edge of the plant before stopping behind the coroner's truck. He walked up to the heavyset, balding man wearing a coat with Coroner written on the back in bright yellow letters.