Demon Child Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Xantu
Xantu
614 Followers

A sudden shock of astonishment shook through her as she realized that the cliff face was sculpted and shaped as if by some huge hand. In many places vast arches curved over massive dark openings, and she blinked in amazement as she peered at huge shapes of fantastic beasts and monsters that seemed to be perched on the face, their weathered eyes staring down at her. To her own surprise, she found her own hand making the warding gestures against magic and danger. She sensed no magic, no malevolent spirits, but whatever had created these gargoyles had to have had a power beyond her comprehension.

But she could see that even here, millennia and the wind had taken their toll. In many places raw scars of natural stone spoke of decay and descent into ruin. Those stone carvings that remained were stained white with the guano of the thousands of bird that had made their nests among the niches and ledges. At the foot of the cliff, the tumbled broken stones and the broken corpses of carved mythic beasts were mounded high.

The warriors were clearly astounded by the sight of the carvings on the cliff face, speaking to one another in fast low voices, pointing out various wonders, but Aylanna remained silent, leaning back against Xin'sha's warm reassuring flank, her eyes wide and awe struck.

But it was not the ancient cliff that held the Khan's attention. He looked only briefly at the carvings and the rubble at the base of the cliff and then turned to face the sea. Handing the reins of his gray stallion to another, he slowly walked to the place where the waves reached up with hungry fingers and grasped at the wet, polished stones before sinking back. It was as if the sea were in constant battle with the land, struggling to climb up that impossible slope and then dragging defeated claws through the rocks as it retreated only to throw itself once more against its eternal enemy. When one attack surged higher, sweeping up around Jhardron's feet, he did not step back, just looked impassively at the icy water that swirled around his ankles and tugged at the very stones he stood upon.

Even in the face of this endless and tireless assailant, it did not occur to him to retreat in fear. Leaning down he dipped his fingers into the sea and brought the briny flavor to his mouth. Only then, on his own terms, did he turn his back on this turbulent mystery that he had only heard of in myth.

They made camp there at the bottom of the cliff, huddled against the rock wall, their camp fires reflecting off the strangely shaped fragments of the ruined sculptures. Aylanna sat huddled close to the fire, the leopard skin from her bedding wrapped protectively around her shoulders. She wondered how anyone could sleep in such a place, the sea surged and growled like a wild beast, the crash and roar amplified by the tall monster laden cliff behind them. The constant cries of the white birds sounded like the voices of lost children. She thought to herself that if this was the land of demons, she wanted none of it.

Aylanna was not called upon to serve or give blessings and she wondered why Jhardron had chosen to bring her to this place, but the Khan spoke little, spending almost all the remaining daylight staring out across the constantly changing sea.

While the temperatures here seemed less bitter, the air was damp and the wind swirled about them, making the fires crackle and flicker, blowing the smoke in all directions. Jhardron laid his sleeping furs close to hers and pulled her to lay close to him sharing his warmth with her, letting her rest her head on his arm as he lay close to her back. Huddling in the shelter of his strength, Aylanna found her body slowly surrendering to a long day's exhaustion and slipping away into a restless slumber.

)===(>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<)===(

Suddenly, she was surrounded by chaos, screams and shouts in that same foreign speech. She was surrounded by battle, fleeing for her life. She was running through long wide hallway, the sounds of fighting, the screams of the dying filling her ears. She was hunting for something, someone, and then she heard the wail of an infant and the rush of emotion was almost beyond bearing. The room was alien, square, filled with odd objects and hanging tapestries but she only had eyes for the cradle and the crying baby. Scooping it up and cradling it to her breast she turned and ran again.

Now there were others around her, strangely unfamiliar and yet familiar faces and clothing. Long fair hair, braids, steel, and beards, the faces of the demons were like looking into a thousand mirrors. All seemed to be fleeing the danger behind them, salvaging only the most precious belongings. They poured out onto the beach and upon the heaving gray water floated an armada of wooden ships. Instantly, she knew them for what they were. She had nothing to reference them to, but she knew they were the steeds of the sea, the escape route she sought.

Still clutching the squalling infant and holding it high above the icy water, she waded deep into the swirling waves, fighting her way to the side of the bucking and bouncing boats, she thrust the baby up towards the outstretched hands and then when she finally knew he was safe, she turned back.

Facing the beach she watched as the battle poured out of the dark opening in the stone. She watched as demon fought demon, huge men with even huger swords locked in mortal combat. Her eyes were searching, hoping against hope, when she spotted him surrounded by a half dozen assailants.

Her heart lurched and she screamed out to him to flee, to join her at the ships, but she knew it was too late. He fought with the frenzy of a berserker, his eyes wild and glazed with madness, his lips peeled back in a ravening grin as he laid about with his weapon.

In despair, she watched him defeat those around him and instead of judicious retreat, he roared and charged back into battle. Treading water, ignoring the outstretched hands of those already aboard the ship, she watched as he was besieged and then cut down, teetering and falling under the combined assault of a dozen opponents like a tall tree cut off at the base, crashing down and disappearing into the fray.

A deep grieving scream was torn from her lips and the salty sea poured in, filling her lungs. Only then did she let go and let the sea pull her under, letting the cold soothing brine pull her down and down into the dim grey green depths, preferring to join him in death than to live without him.

Aylanna's face was wet with tears when she woke, her lips salty, her mouth seemingly filled with the brine of her dream. She was alone under the blankets, blinking back the tears. She huddled there thinking about the dream, knowing it had been an echo of a memory and that perhaps not all the spirits had fled this place. At least this one woman had chosen to stay here, next to the man whom she had loved.

Most of the warriors were up, moving silently around the now cold fires. Aylanna sat up, marveling that the world was covered in a thick fog, turning the warriors into misty ethereal figures. The wind was gone and the constant crash and roar of the sea had eased to a constant bubbling gurgle that somehow seemed more distant. Even the high constant calls of the sea birds were quieter, muted by the heavy mist that lay over the beach.

The morning sun burned away the fog and Aylanna looked in amazement at how the beach had changed in the night. Last night, the waves had roared and crashed in wild abandon only a hundred strides away, now the shining stones extended almost three times that far and the waves seemed calmer. It was almost like a truce had been called between the land and the sea. Jhardron was once again standing, staring at the waves and she walked down and stood beside him, gazing out at the endless waves. Her voice was soft, "What is it that you look for, my Khan?"

His voice was almost irritated as he voiced his frustrated question, "Where did they go? If it is true that their lands lie north beyond the sea, how did they go there?"

For many minutes Aylanna did not speak. When she did, her voice was tentative, "They flew across the water, like the Bak fly across the land. They ride the waves in great floating crafts, capturing the wind." Carefully enunciating a word she had never heard spoken aloud, she spoke, "Ships, they rode across the sea in ships."

Jhardron turned to her, his eyes both curious and cautious, "You have seen this?"

"In a dream, last night."

He did not question this, just turned to look at the sea again. "Your body seemed to tremble in the night, and then you cried out, just once, a sad despairing cry, like the birds above."

Slipping a small cold hand into his, she spoke of the visions in her dream, the lingering haunting memory of the woman who had watched her man cut down and then drowned. "Not much lingers here, even the spirits are gone, all that remains is the few and fading memories they left behind."

Suddenly he turned to her, pulling her to face him, "Demon, you bring me gifts of magic and visions. You show me things that I once would have denied. You bring me power." His dark eyes were blazing, "Demon, together, we will go far." Then his voice was soft and determined, "Demon, I will not let him take you from me."

Aylanna looked up at him bewildered, wondering, "Who?"

Jhardron shook his head and muttered, "It is not a thing to think about now. Just be assured that it is in my footsteps that you follow in, mine and no one else's." He smoothed the fiery red hair out of her eyes, thinking to himself that these stormy grey eyes were the same color as the restless sea. He stared at her possessively, "This is one treasure that will not be claimed by the Aga Khan. You are mine."

The ha'akh could sense a fierce resolve in his spirit at those words, but there was also a shadow of something else. It was not quite fear, more that same state of preparedness she so often sensed from the warriors. It was as if he knew that he must be ready for any threat and she nodded, "My Khan, where you go, I will follow."

His voice was low, "Ha'akh, I know not where that path may lead."

Aylanna stood transfixed staring up at is determined face and repeated the words that had begun to symbolize the growing love she sensed in her heart, "A ha'akh must always accept her Khan's judgment, wherever that may be." Finally now understanding why she was brought along with the warriors to this place, it was her place to follow wherever he led.

)===(>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<)===(

Tim'kah was scaling the cliff face, working his way up carefully to the lowest of the dark openings as the rest watched from below. The white seabirds wheeled and complained as their nests were disturbed. Aylanna frowned, looking up at him. An unbidden thought intruded. This was not the way in.

Thinking back to her dream, she cast her gaze up and down the cliff base. She tried to resolve the images left in her head with this broken and rubble covered beach. Slowly, she picked her way along the base of the cliff, stopping, closing her eyes, returning over and over again to the visions. The broken stones were mounded high, mixed in with the skeletons of trees tossed high by winter storms. Immediately against the cliff, the layers of bird guano were thick and there was a thick growth of brush and tall grass thriving on the rich soil. It looked so different from the memories that were not her own, but she could not quite let go of the feeling that there had to be an easier way. Turning one last time she faced the ocean, unconsciously she wrapped her arms once more around the tiny bundle that had been the crying infant, the sounds of the crying birds flocking in the sky an echo of the sounds in her head. Then a rush of certainty shot through her and she whirled and pushed through the vegetation and found herself standing, looking down into a small dark opening.

The portal was almost completely blocked by fallen stones and debris but she knew that she was looking at the door that so long ago the woman had used to deliver the baby to the rescue boat. Turning again, she stared back toward the place where the man had finally fallen and the grief roared through her. The sound of the waves pulled at her mind, she found herself taking an involuntary step toward the ocean, feeling a sudden sharp compulsion to end her pain, to once more seek the calm of the water, to seek the peace of the cool grey green depths.

Shaking her head and rubbing her face, Aylanna fought to keep the emotions separate from the memories. Instinctively she knew that she was letting the dream gain too much strength in her mind. It seemed the more she tried to remember, the more she opened her spirit to the experience, the greater its influence was growing on her. This was a dangerous exercise. It seemed like it fed on her spirit, gaining strength, threatening to take root and possess her. Pressing her lips together with fierce determination, she pushed the emotions away and muttered, "A Bak warrior must always be in control of her body, her heart, and her mind."

Turning, she walked back to the where Jhardron was watching Tim'kah inching along the cliff face. His face was tense; this was not a task any of his warriors were trained for. Aylanna moved to stand before him, "My Khan, I have found another way in, down low."

His eyes shifted to her face in surprise and his voice was eager, "Where?" Turning, Aylanna pointed toward where she had found the nearly covered opening. Leaving the rest of the warriors looking up, he took her hand, urging her to lead the way, "Show me."

When Aylanna pulled aside the grass, he exclaimed in surprise, "How did you find this?"

"I just knew there had to be an easier way. In the dream they came out of an opening directly onto the beach. I let the dream guide my feet."

"What is in there?"

Aylanna hesitated, her voice distant almost not her own, "Darkness, stone, rooms," and then shook her head as a sense of terror rose up, there was danger coming, she must escape. The images of the dream seemed to swim in front of her eyes and her whole body vibrated with fear and the urge to run. Again, her arms came up to clutch the baby to her chest. Shaking her head violently, she pushed it away again. Each time it seemed more difficult.

Her voice vibrated with fear, "My Khan, I cannot, must not... It is beginning to..." She hesitated, trying to find words, "um, trying to..." She frowned and took a deep breath, "It is becoming dangerous for me. The memory is gaining strength, her spirit is stirring. She will wake soon and the dead are always jealous of the living. If she cannot steal my spirit, she will try to destroy it." She did not know exactly how she knew this, but as she said them she sensed the truth in her words.

Jhardron watched the girl closely, his eyes filled with concern. He nodded, not truly understanding but accepting her answer. "Then you must not." He lifted her chin and stared into her eyes. "Pretty demon, I do not understand this thing that you have within you but you must tread carefully. Keep yourself safe. Your value to me increases with each day." He touched the wisp of the red hair that continually escaped from her blue head scarf, "Pretty demon, my demon, promise me to keep your spirit safe."

Impulsively, she threw her arms around his waist and pressed her face against his chest. Her voice was soft and choked with emotion, "My Khan, it is my love for you that keeps the magic at bay. Each time it threatens to sweep me away, I think of your words and how I must stay here with you and I find my strength."

His arms came up around her, crushing her to his chest. They stood like that for only a moment when there was a cheer from the watching warriors. Tim'kah had finally attained his goal, and stood upon the lip of the opening, his arms raised in triumph. Jhardron's voice held rare humor, "The boy climbs like a spider. I will not steal away any of his triumph. We will enter through his window first." Soon ropes were being lowered down and more warriors were working their way up, making faster progress with the aid of ropes.

Jhardron smoothed the hair that blew around Aylanna's eyes once more, "So, my pretty demon, I will leave up to you. Would it be dangerous for you to enter into that darkness?"

A small shudder shook through her frame and again she felt the memory push at her fragile boundaries, like shadows flickering in the corners of her vision. Again, the high pitched cries of the sea birds echoed the screams of battle. Her voice was tense, "My Khan, I cannot. Already I have reached too far."

His eyes narrowed, again looking closely at her face. "Do you need to leave this place?"

Aylanna shook her head, "No, not yet. But I must rest and focus on controlling my thoughts." She smiled with trembling lips and repeated his words, "A Bak warrior must always be in control of her body, her heart, and her mind."

Her Khan's eyes looked briefly surprised and then approving, a rare smile warmed his eyes. "You remember your lessons well. You will make a fine warrior."

Then he released her, leaving her to watch as he gripped the ropes and began to climb. Most of the warriors remained on the beach and Aylanna busied herself in helping build fires and care for the horses. She found herself spending time with Xin'sha, just leaning against the mare's flank, stroking her smooth warm red neck, drinking in the calm emotions emanating from the horse.

The flicker of life growing deep inside the mare was even more evident, a small warm spark of dawning awareness that floated in an endless warm darkness. Aylanna gently reached out and delicately touched the new spirit with the lightest caress of love and welcome.

Over and over, she would look up the cliff face to the dark opening that the exploring warriors had disappeared into. But each time her curiosity would intrude, trying to imagine what they were doing, what they were seeing and she had to force her eyes away, force her thoughts to duty and safety. She was not alone in her interest. The warriors that remained on the beach watched the cliff face almost obsessively, their emotions tense and pent up. Aylanna could tell there was not a single one that would have not preferred to be up there, seeing with their own eyes the mysteries that lay within the dark opening.

When the figures of the warriors came to the opening and began to work their way down the ropes, there was a sharp peak in the tension and Aylanna was caught up in the almost unbearable anticipation. She was practically dancing with the energy that ebbed and flowed around her, her eyes over bright and her heart racing. The warriors were covered in dirt and seemed happy to be out in the daylight and fresh air. They carried a few bags of items gleaned from the darkness.

The curious warriors that had been left behind barraged the explorers with questions, asking what lay inside the strange tunnels, and Klektor spoke up as he vigorously scrubbed at the dirt that had turned his normally ebony skin grey and dusty. "It is a cesspool of shit. Where the birds have not nested, bats, rats and insects have made their home. The very air is poison." He coughed and cleared his throat, and then spat, his expression filled with distaste. "The passages are narrow and choked with fallen debris. The stone hung heavy over my head. I for one will be glad to sit once more on the back of a horse, to ride free and breathe in some clean air."

Jhardron's voice was calmer, informative, "There is little left of the demons that once lived there. Anything left behind has turned to rust or crumbled away ages ago. All that is left is what cannot rot away."

Jhardron's next words took Aylanna by surprise, "Our little ha'akh has found another opening. Most likely it will hold little more than Tim'kah's venture, but I want to look there before we leave." His eyes glinted at Klektor, "Who would like to venture back into the tunnels?"

Xantu
Xantu
614 Followers