Demon Queened Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I frowned, thinking it over for a moment. I could see apprehension spreading across Gerard's face; he was obviously disconcerted that I could not immediately respond. "I cannot guarantee the future," I confessed at last, "but I can come close. The gem is rightfully mine, and your purchase is hardly a crime. I truly cannot see someone hunting you down for something as minor as this."

Gerard studied me, looking for any sign of a lie as he weighed my words. I was confident in my assertion though. Even if I failed in my own plans, even if I was killed, I had spoken to far too many people - including the Heroine herself - for the church to execute them all. If nothing else, Lucy would never allow it.

After a long while, Gerard lowered his head, and began to stroke his beard, muttering to himself. Although I felt guilty for eavesdropping, nothing short of blocking my ears would prevent me from hearing his words. "She really is trouble but she's pretty decent for a noble, I guess. Leaving her to stew in hot water by myself... Could get killed if I do it. Likely won't ever see her again if I don't. Not knowing if she survived or not... Go down one road I might die, go down the other and I'll have nightmares for life..."

Gerard lifted his head and stared into my eyes. I wondered if he could see the guilt in them. I didn't want him putting himself at risk out of concern for me, but I couldn't afford to turn down what help I could get. My mission was too crucial to my people's future.

"...Screw it!" he exclaimed suddenly, displaying the brightest smile I'd seen from him. "I doubt I'll ever see another stone so clear and flawless, no matter how long I live. Let's talk shop."



***

I trailed behind Feyra, this time walking at a much more reasonable pace. In the end, Gerard and I had negotiated a downpayment of five saints, paid to me through a mixture of the various coins. I would come back in a month, and would claim seventy-five percent of the profits, minus what he'd already disbursed. I had no idea if that was a good deal or not. I wanted to believe that Gerard wasn't the sort to cheat me, but my inexperience in such matters had been quite obvious. Honestly, I was just glad that he'd attributed any ignorance to my status. Nobles would normally have servants making their purchases for them, after all. That hadn't prevented his exasperation when I asked for information on the local currency though.

Still, the information I'd gained was worth a few eye rolls and exaggerated groans. As it turned out, human currency was quite a bit different from ours. We collectively referred to our coins as 'fallens', while humans had different names for each denomination. Golden saints were worth ten silver crosses, which were worth ten copper virtues. These coins were minted by the church, which allowed for standardized currency throughout the continent.

The true value of each coin was still a mystery to me, but even I could see that saints were worth quite a bit. It was hard to believe that Feyra's debt of five crosses had somehow ballooned to such an extent. This 'Mama Marion'... Just how desperate did you have to be to borrow from her? I knew there was nothing I could do for Feyra, short of paying her - I had no power to arrest her 'benefactor', and I didn't even know if the woman's actions would be considered criminal. All the same, the idea of capitulating to her unreasonable interest rates was a bitter one. When I thought about how many others she'd taken advantage of I wondered, briefly, how much force I could put into a punch without killing someone.

That was a dangerous thought, one I had to destroy before it could take root. Compared to the threat of extinction faced by my people, loan sharks were hardly worthy of attention. I was here to deepen my relationship with Lucy, not to fight against injustice within a human city. I needed her to trust me enough to accept my true self. Only then could we forge a lasting peace between demons and humans. Perhaps then I'd be able to do as I pleased...

"We're here."

Feyra's voice brought me to a halt, both physically and mentally. Looking about, I quickly spotted our destination: the Queen's Crown. It was quite close to the adventurer's guild, which Feyra had shown me a few minutes prior. Its sign featured a yellow crown, with the same color decorating its walls. Its slanted shingle roof, was a shade of orange quite similar to that of Lucy's eyes. The combination of my title, with Lucy's coloring, made me smile faintly from amusement. It was almost as if someone had merged our features.

"That's all, right?" Feyra asked me. Although her body had stopped trembling, the fear had not left her voice. Her opinion of me was another thing I couldn't spend time fixing.

"That's all," I confirmed, reaching into my bag for her promised reward. Her body tensed when I held out the coins, but she kept her hand steady, positioning it a few inches below mine. I dropped the saints into her palm, choosing to avoid skin contact. She stared at the coins for a moment, then curled her fingers about them and took a step backward, her eyes on me the entire time. After putting a little more distance between us, she turned and fled. I watched her run for a moment, before turning around and heading back the way we'd come.

It didn't take long to reach the adventurer's guild. I hadn't taken the time to study it before, what with Feyra's clear desire to finish the tour quickly, so this time I intended to examine it in detail before going inside.

It was fairly tall by the standards of this city, though I doubted it had more than two floors. It was built of red bricks, which matched its red shingle roof. The door was unpainted, allowing it to stand out against the red. I could tell that the building had been built with utility in mind, with little concern for decoration. The unpainted bricks, and large size, allowed it to stand out, while the door's naked wood made the entrance easy to spot. I couldn't say for sure whether other branches of the guild followed this pattern, but the residents, at least, would be able to recognize the building on sight. Even if they didn't, its sign, which depicted two swords crossed against each other, was almost certainly standardized.

Satisfied, I opened the door and took my first step inside.

The interior of the building was just as plain as its exterior. The floors were hard stone, and the walls were constructed of more brick. A long, narrow counter stood at the back of the room, starting at the left wall, and stretching toward the right, ending just short of the opposite side. The remaining space, which was bridged by a plank of wood, looked spacious enough for a person to walk through. Directly behind it was a wooden door.

Looking toward the left, I saw a multitude of papers, attached to the wall by rows of small hooks. A few people were studying the flyers. Although I couldn't read any text from my current position, it seemed safe to assume they detailed potential quests. I would have to look into it later.

For now, I was more concerned by the way people were responding to my presence. I was already aware that I stood out, thanks to my interactions with Feyra and Gerard, but I hadn't expected so many strong reactions. About two thirds of the adventurers were staring at me, some with hostility, some with cautious curiosity, most with various mixtures of the two. The moment I looked toward any of them, they would shirk away from me, acting as if they were focused on something else. The remaining third of those present were trying their best not to look at me at all.

Perhaps my clothes really were giving away my status? The material worn by the locals had a much rougher look to them. Most of them didn't seem to be particularly colorful either. I would have to consider visiting a tailor in the near future, even if it meant taking precautions against my fellow demons finding out. I didn't relish the idea of purposefully dressing in uncomfortable clothes, but standing out to this extent wouldn't do.

Well, it was something I could worry about tomorrow. For now, I moved towards the counter. It had been split into four, with three wooden dividers projecting vertically from its surface. Each segment had someone sitting behind it and with a procession of people before it. I aimed for the leftmost section, as it had the shortest line. Not that it particularly mattered, as everyone immediately in it scattered the moment my destination became clear. It took effort not to pout as I made my way to the now cleared counter, especially as the brunette receptionist sitting behind it was so obviously displeased by my choice. At least she was professional enough not to flee.

"My apologies for the disturbance, My name is Eena. May I ask yours?"

"E-Erina, my Lady." She pushed her chair back as she spoke, toppling it in her hurry, and performing a clumsy curtsy. "C-can I - I mean, um, wh- Um." Her face was losing color, paling further each time she stumbled over a word.

"It's alright, you can take your time. I don't bite." I tried to make myself smile, despite knowing how fake it would look. Perhaps it was for the best that her head remained bowed, preventing her from seeing it.

"Th-thank you for... Um... I mean..." Erina trailed off, biting her lip. I watched silently, desperately trying to come up with something I could say or do to help her calm down. It was useless; everything I came up with could all too easily make things worse.

I was considering whether it would be best to leave, and come back later in some sort of hooded cloak, when I heard the back door swing open, drawing my attention to the left side of the room. A giant of a man, a little over six feet tall, walked through it. He had the look of a warrior to me; a strong one by human standards, though it was hard to describe why I felt that way. His physique was actually quite slim, without any visible muscles. He'd shorn his blue hair close to his scalp, but whether that was a fashion choice, or a way to prevent his enemies from gripping onto it, I really couldn't say. There was a rough looking scar across his right cheek, but I had no way of knowing whether or not it came from a fight or an accident. If I was forced to give a reason for my impression, I could only say that there was a certain confidence in the way he held himself. He was walking into a room full of adventurers, some of the strongest humans to be found in this city, and yet he didn't seem nervous at all. In fact, he was glowering as he looked around. At least until he noticed me.

The moment he realized that I was looking in his direction, all traces of emotion disappeared from his face. It was actually a little unsettling; if that was how I looked, it might be better to show my emotions more freely after all.

We kept our eyes on each-other as he walked forward, maintaining perfect eye contact. I found myself wondering how he'd handle it if an obstacle was placed in his path. Would he even notice it, while staring so intensely? The thought made me smile, despite the rough day I'd had so far.

The man came to a stop behind Erina and reached out to lightly tap her on the shoulder, never taking his eyes off mine. The receptionist jumped in surprise, a look of pure panic on her face, but the moment she saw the man her expression changed to relief.

"G-Guild Master! I-I..." She cast me another fearful look, then turned back to the man, silently pleading for release.

"It's alright, Erina," the guild master said, his voice softening. "Why don't you take your break?"

"Thank you!" She ran straight for the door the man had come through, not once looking back.

"I apologize for Erina's behavior, My Lady." His voice was soft and polite, but the warmth he used when speaking with the receptionist was nowhere to be found. His voice, much like his face, was completely devoid of emotion. "How can this humble establishment help you today?"

I grimaced, deciding it might be best to let my discomfort show. "Please, call me Eena. I prefer not to stand on formality."

The guild master's brow furrowed for a moment, before smoothing over just as quickly. "I would never dream of being so disrespectful, my L-"

A glare from me pushed the words back down his throat. I let my glower fade once I was certain my message was clear, but kept up my frown. "My name is Eena. I won't force you to use it if it makes you uncomfortable, but please don't use rudeness as an excuse. If you truly wish to respect me, Guild Master, then you should extend that same respect to my request."

The man fell silent, his eyes briefly losing their focus. I could only guess at what was going through his mind; his expression was as impassive as ever. After a moment, his eyes moved to meet mine again. There was an edge to his gaze that hadn't been there before.

"If you're certain Eena..." His eyes sharpened further as he trailed off. I smiled in return, pleased by his acquiescence. "In that case, let's drop the titles altogether. My name is Denden."

"As you wish."My smile grew. Denden was obviously suspicious of my intentions, but it was a step in the right direction, nonetheless.

"So what can we do for you, Eena?" His tone was as courteous as ever, but at least he'd dropped some of the formality in his speech.

"I wish to become an adventurer."

"We'll need to fill out some paperwork then, and discuss the ground rules. We can make use of my office, if you'd like."

That...was odd. I'd expected another expression of surprise, but the guild master responded without any hesitation.

"That would probably be best. I assume it's past that door, yes? Shall I head to the far right side, or would you prefer me to hop over the counter?"

This time the guildmaster responded with a frown. I could tell he was confused as he looked me over once again, his gaze lingering on my hands a moment or two longer than anywhere else. Whatever Denden was looking for, he seemed to find it quickly, as he soon met my eyes once more. "I think climbing over the counter would be too much of a shock for people. If you don't mind, I'd prefer we both walk to the other side."

"As you wish," I replied, turning to follow his instructions. Denden was obviously underestimating me, if he thought I would need to clamber over an obstacle that only reached partway up my chest, but perhaps that was for the best. I wasn't entirely certain what the average human was capable of in this world.

I traced the length of the counter, with Denden perfectly matching my pace. I paid no heed to the lines between me and my destination, as those in them quickly moved aside to let me pass. I knew it was rude, but I didn't think walking around them would be any better. If I was bound to disrupt guild business regardless, I might as well take the shortest route.

I paused upon reaching the far wall, turning to face Denden on the other side of the wooden partition. He lifted the plank of wood that blocked off the gap between the counter and the wall, allowing me through. He did not wait for my thanks, heading toward the door he'd come from without saying a word. I followed his lead, quietly walking through the door and closing it behind me.

I found myself in a wide hallway, with a staircase to the left, numerous doors on the right, and what looked to be an open space at the end. I noticed Erina sitting down at the end, leaning over a table with her head buried in her arms. Fortunately, Denden was moving toward the stairs. I wanted to get out of Erina's potential line of sight quickly, before I could cause her any more stress.

The remaining trek was uneventful. Denden was completely silent as he led me up the staircase and down another hallway, stopping in front of a door at the far end. He opened it without a word, strolled inside, and navigated around the large desk that all but filled the room. Once seated in an unpadded wooden chair, he put his elbows on the table, interlaced his fingers, and rested his chin upon them.

"So you want to become an adventurer." Denden's voice was utterly flat, but his eyes were hard as diamonds.

"That's correct." I kept myself from flinching, reminding myself that I was in no danger. No matter how strong he was, he was still only human.

Denden kept up his stare for a moment, then closed his eyes and let out a sigh.

"Why?" The flat tone was gone, replaced by exasperation. "I've met a few nobles who wanted to play adventurer over the course of my career, but I still don't understand why your type thinks it's a good idea. It's hard work; dirty too. Even with the safer requests, you can still end up facing monsters. I know some nobles are taught to defend themselves against their fellow humans, but fighting those things takes a different skillset. They're stronger, they're tougher, and they think differently than we do. And they do think; I've seen a lot of good adventurers go down because they thought they were facing dumb beasts. How smart they are can vary, but most of them are at least cunning enough to pull off a dirty trick or two."

Denden shook his head. "I'll help you with the paperwork. There's no way I can refuse you, and we both know it, but you're probably the closest thing to a modest noble I'm ever going to meet, so I figure this is my one and only shot at getting a real answer."

I hesitated, unsure of what to say. I could tell him the truth, that I was hoping to join the Heroine on her adventures as a way of befriending her, but he wasn't likely to believe that. I needed to stall long enough to think up a response. Hopefully I could buy myself time with a question of my own.

"Before I answer that, can you tell me why you think I'm a noble? I understand that my clothes are of fairly high quality, but isn't it far more likely that I'm the daughter of a rich merchant, or some such?"

Denden's lips curled downward. Perhaps he knew I was avoiding his question, but he couldn't afford to press me. My perceived social standing was too big a threat. He remained silent, choosing his words in advance.

"It's not just the clothes," he said, at last. "You could be wearing burlap, and I'd still be able to spot it. Pretty sure anyone could, but it's even more obvious if you know what to look for."

"I'm not sure what you mean. What makes it so easy to recognize?" If I knew that, perhaps I could at least keep a low profile amongst those who didn't know what to look for.

"Everything about you," he replied, gesturing wildly at my entire person. "We can start with your hygiene - you and your clothes are both too clean."

I gave a silent nod. The cleanliness was a good lead to work with. I didn't relish the idea of being covered in dirt, but I could probably manage a little of it. I would simply have to be less liberal with the magic I used to rid myself of it.

"Next up is the way you talk. I mentioned meeting nobles before, but to be honest none of them were that high a rank. I'm guessing you're a bit further up the food chain; none of them spoke nearly as fancily as you do."

"I... See." That would be hard to correct. I'd been speaking this way since I was seven. I'd hoped that styling my words after that of old speeches, from Demon Queens past, would help earn me respect. It was nothing more than a childish misconception, built on the faulty belief that gaining acclaim could somehow make up for the love I'd spectacularly failed to garner, but after so many years it was simply the most comfortable way for me to speak. I wasn't sure that I was capable of speaking informally without it coming across as stilted. Still, I was willing to try it. Unnatural speech would probably cause suspicion, but it might still create less issues than speaking like a noble.