Demons' Home Ch. 12-15

Story Info
Of Nightmares and Truths.
6.4k words
4.89
3.1k
3
0

Part 3 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers

Sorry this short note is so late in the submissions, any single quote marks while talking indicate mind to mind speak.

CHAPTER 12

Taurin's thoughts bored into me as we entered the bar together. 'You realize you're calmly walking into a public place with me at your side.'

I shrugged, 'Why not? I'm not even sure why I'm here, except that maybe I need to be verbally abused by everyone for ruining their ordered world. I'd think at this juncture you would be the one shying away from me.' I wiggled my fingers at him, 'The trap and subdue girl.'

Taurin smiled and grabbed me around the waist. He twirled me until I was backed up against a wall and I smiled widely. His finger slid a path from the top of my forehead, following the bones of my face, 'My brothers will wonder how I tamed you after what you did to Oldavai.'

A laugh shot out of my mouth, 'You're still the same. It's reassuring to have something consistent in my life and you and Ezra are that.'

He gave my nose a flick speaking into my mind, 'Yes, we're consistent because he's not visible and I am."

I laughed again and replied to his mind speak, 'Yeah. Did you notice they're all looking at us?'

"Mmm." He ground his pelvis into me, "Let them look, IshaDove." Then he bent down and licked my lips and I made my own noise of contentment. He grinned again and jerked me by the hand to a bar stool. "Let's see who comes to us, shall we."

We ordered drinks and looked around. It was really more bar than club. Or maybe it just wasn't the right time for that because the tables looked movable out on the open floor plan. Farther back were pool tables and dart boards and everywhere were pictures taped on the walls. I swiveled and saw one taped to the mirror behind the bar. There it was, the picture I remembered being taken of me flicking off Carlos. A paper award colored in crayons was taped next to it. I shook my head, both amused and annoyed.

Taurin remained leaning back against the bar. "You see it?"

"Yeah. It has Carlos written all over it."

Taurin turned to look at me and gave me a heavy lidded stare, "I'm glad it turned out this way. You're a better bargain than Carlos."

I pushed at him good naturedly, remembering something close to those words when we first met, only that time I wanted to run him through with a sword. We smiled and saluted each other with our drinks. Then, I watched the people in the mirror. Rebekkah approached me as soon as she made eye contact in the reflection. I swiveled around as she pushed her way through the crowd.

"You made it!" She gave Taurin a suspicious look as he placed his glass on the bar and eyed her.

"Rebekkah, this is Taurin. Taurin, Rebekkah."

Taurin gallantly bent at the waist and her hands came up in a warding gesture. He gently, yet forcefully took the right one. I watched his loose platinum strands fly forward to caress her bare arm as he kissed the back of it. She stared at him steel eyed. "I heard that you two were bound. And that you are a hunter murderer."

I gave Taurin an arched eyebrow and he answered for us, "Yes, we are. And yes... I was. Dove has a redeeming presence." He spoke in his most sincere voice and silently asked her with his eyes to forgive him.

I would have put my hand on forehead and shook my head at his dramatics if we weren't in public with everyone watching. He did hear me thoughts though, 'Oh my hellfire demon, you never quit.'

"Hmm. This why you were asking if demons were allowed in the bar."

I laughed lightly, "Actually, no. I'm just tired of being around them."

Taurin laughed loudly at Rebekkah's astonished look, "No worries, my lady. She is not including myself in that statement."

My eyes narrowed, "I wasn't aware of that?" I couldn't keep my lips from quirking so I ruined the affronted look.

He laughed again and gave me a swift kiss across my cheek that left me aching for a quiet night with the two demons in my life.

Rebekkah shook her head, not knowing what to make of us, "Um... Someone wants to talk to you. That's Marcel and he's over there in his booth with the ironwork." She pointed out the booth with two people sitting across from each other. The man facing us saluted me with his drink when our eyes met.

I looked at Taurin and spoke in his mind, 'I'm going. Don't let her think she can trust you.'

Taurin took a taste of his whiskey while replying, 'Do you trust me?'

'No,' I said as I walked over to the booth where the man was removing his associate.

'Then I haven't lost my touch.'

I cast a quick look back and watched as he focused on Rebekkah.

"So, my lady, sit. Keep me company since you ushered my Dove away." He smiled sweetly and expertly maneuvered her into my vacant chair before she even had a chance to figure out what happened. I felt a slight twinge at his diverted attention, but quickly squashed it. Ezra surfaced in my thoughts and I scanned the rafters knowing I wouldn't see him, wondering all the while if he felt the same when my attention was on Taurin and not him.

I reached the booth and focused on hunter business as Marcel gestured for me to sit. A waitress followed behind me to the table with six shots of clear liquid. I eyed his stocky and muscular build. His tattooed, bald head seemed a perfect match for the huge arms stretching the short sleeves of his white t-shirt.

"Dove Hawthorn," he said with a slight Russian accent.

"Marcel. What can I do for you?"

"It's what everyone wants to know, m'dear." He reached over with a thick finger to streak through the gold glitter on my face. I moved back before he could make contact.

"You know what that is?" I asked.

"I do. Most don't. Do you know your man in Seattle who everyone goes to for answers?"

I nodded, thinking of Zanzibar.

"I'm that man in Sacramento. Please, drink with me."

I decided why not and we drank down one shot. It was smooth, like burning ice sliding down my throat. "That's amazing vodka."

"Yes. It is the best. Made from potatoes, no wheat. Now are you going to tell me what I want to know?"

"No. I told Ila how to trap and subdue. If she deems it fit she'll make sure everyone knows. It isn't fit. She's not going to. In my opinion it's nothing that should be touched by either demon or hunter."

He nodded again and raised another shot glass. I did the same and the second one went down just as smooth.

"I trust Ila. Are you going to be doing it again?" He asked with almost no pause between words.

"No one should ever do it. And before I leave here there should be some resolution with the A.O. and demons maintaining their place in our society."

He gave me a side head nod, "I see. And you did not answer my question. But, if compromises happen, many of our kind will indeed be grateful. The charge of energy in the air is more unpredictable than usual. No bound hunters and demons have killed one another in my town... yet. I keep waiting for the riots to start like they have in the South."

"Let's hope what I do works." I paused briefly. "I need to see the reference book."

He leaned down by his feet and pulled out a well used tome.

I gave him a surprised look and asked as I opened it, "Is this really your booth?"

"Absolutely. Look," he pointed behind his head. I blinked as I made out his name etched in the iron. He smiled wide, showing slightly crooked teeth.

"Impressive." I went back to looking for the demon on my warrant. "He's not in here. I thought for sure he was."

He leaned over the table and looked at the book upside down. "Who are you looking for?"

"Iloum."

He stared at me with heavy silence. "Iloum is no Oldavai."

"No. Oldavai hits you and you don't even notice it. Iloum only looks at you and you run away screaming."

"In your case," he gestured to my glittery hair and face, "you are well aware that Oldavai hit you and is coming back to finish the job. But, if you go up against Iloum, Oldavai won't need to come back for you."

I inhaled through my nose as the terror of the nightmare came back to me. "Ila told me he's here. Anyone get his warrant?"

"Legally, none. Ila is not so cruel to give him to her demon hunters without serious consideration, which makes me wonder if you were given a warrant. Were you?"

"Yes, policing. He knows I'm coming."

Marcel scoffed and muttered 'policing' under his breath, "They always know we're coming. But, why would she do that to you?"

I looked over at Taurin winning over a laughing Rebekkah, "Maybe because I have something she wants," I turned back at him, "and because of the problem of a successful trap and subdue. You've been advising demon hunters not to follow through with them, right?"

"It's suicide and Ila agrees. As you can feel, the number of demons in this bar is one, Taurin. It usually is at least two to four in stable times. Some are trying to keep peace while they wait for sanction from Shorn. Granted, it's nice for a change, no one has gotten 'accidentally' killed in over a month. And the pool table hasn't had to be repaired lately."

One name rang in my ears, "You know Shorn?"

He exhaled hard through his nose, his pale blue eyes hard, "I need to."

"That calls for the last shot." He nodded his head in agreement with me and we downed the third one.

"Iloum's in that book. He's a nightmare demon so sometimes he disappears from the pages. It's just as well since when you think about him he'll find you. Any nightmare demon does." He slid the book over to his side of the table and shut it. With closed eyes he placed his hand on the cover for a few silent moments. His eyes opened and he looked at me while flipping to the pages I needed.

I pulled the book over and asked in astonishment, "How'd you do that?!"

"The trick is to blank your mind. Let them know that you're not looking for them. They're capricious demons, they want your focus and then they don't."

"Huh," I said distractedly as I glanced quickly for the name. There wasn't much when I found it, but there wasn't much for any nightmare demon.

Marcel chuckled as he read from across the table. "They must have scared her really bad, don't you think? All that attention she had to give them to write their names in this book."

I looked up at him remembering my nightmare, "Oh yeah." I looked back down, "There's not much here. Just what he looks like and that he loves terror."

Marcel flipped to the front of the section, "Here," he pointed.

I mumbled, "I always skim this section." Then I read out loud, "Beware, in their nightmares you die for real." I looked at him, "That's it?!"

He pursed his full lips at me, "Good luck, m'dear."

"Thanks," I said dryly. "Sorry I couldn't help you out more."

"You will if you succeed with Iloum in the same manner you did with Oldavai. Iloum's already killed five hunters in six months. He's invading all of our sleep. Honestly, I'd rather he be dead than just given a slap for his behavior."

"I have a feeling you'll know if I succeed," I said as I shifted out the booth. When I looked down I saw gold glitter where I was sitting. I growled irritably and Marcel barked a laugh.

"I'll see you one way or another, Dove."

When we're all dead or the next meeting in life, I thought. Out loud I said, "That's true." I waved and walked over to a companionless Taurin.

"What'd you say to Rebekkah?" I asked leaning into his body, mesmerized by the soft smile appearing on his lips and blue glow emanating from his iris'. His hands settled heavily on my waist as he bent down to whisper in my ear.

"I used the three A's: appalling, antagonizing and arrogant. She left."

I snorted, "I can imagine. Let's leave."

He nuzzled into the bend of my neck and grabbed my hand, "Mmmm."

I looked over at Marcel's booth and saw it crowded with demon hunters quizzing him. I smiled at the gossip I was already starting and let Taurin lead me out of the bar. Once outside I inhaled the night air and felt the uncomfortable weight of fear in my chest.

CHAPTER 13

When we made it to the hotel I asked them to stay with me while I slept. They did without question, but not without a demanding silence. Iloum skimmed the surface of my dreams. I never saw him, but I ran from the overwhelming presence of a million eyes watching me. Spindly legs crawling on my back. Short hard breaths in my ears. I woke into the morning with a gasp and a swipe at the sweat on my forehead. Taurin's arm felt like steel around me, his eyes, a foggy blue color. Ezra's stillness seemed full of offended temperament.

I think Ezra knew I wasn't going to talk, because he started as soon as my heart beat slowed, "You are getting better at guarding your thoughts."

I said nothing, just stared at the ceiling from my prone position, my hand coming up to wrap itself in Taurin's hair laying across my chest.

Ezra's finger swooped behind my ear and trailed down my neck, "Hellish times seek desperate measures. You learn quick when you have secrets to hide."

I took a deep breath and exhaled as much air as I could out of my diaphragm, attempting to relax myself, "What do you want Ezra?"

"You cannot hide Iloum from me."

I gave him a quick glance then turned to Taurin. His cold air a barrier around his abnormal tenseness. 'You're afraid of him?' I directed into only his thoughts. Taurin said nothing. It was a stupid question no demon would dignify to answer.

Finally, Taurin spoke, "Iloum has no desire for intellectual or rational discussion, unlike some of my brothers." He looked up at Ezra, "Dove, you and I would have never met had he been in Ezra's place."

Ezra spoke dismissively, "Iloum would never bind himself to a demon hunter." He turned his attention to me. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going after him. Alone."

Ezra threw back his head and laughed. I'd never heard him laugh like that before and my heart stuttered. It was loud, bitter and full of doom. Wisps of fire curled around his lips. When he looked back into my eyes, his own were full of flames. Taurin curled his arm even tighter around me in response.

"Why?" Ezra asked simply.

I didn't answer his question, "You let me go against Taurin alone."

"No, I did not. Bronti and, more importantly, Carlos were there. Then there was Taurin, who would never out right kill you because of me. Iloum will have no compulsion."

I played with Taurin's soft hair as I remembered the first time I saw Taurin while trying to complete his kill warrant. "I have to do this alone."

"That's insane, Dove," Taurin said with finality.

I stared into his visibly distressed eyes that mirrored my thoughts so perfectly, "That's the whole point."

Ezra put his fingers on top of my head and guided my attention to him. We gave each other a silent gaze that was crowded with emotion and questions. "I will be watching."

"Like you were at the bar?" I asked suspiciously.

"You take me wherever you go. Same with Taurin, wether he is crowding you or not."

He didn't have to tell me, I knew it, just didn't want to admit it. Ezra had placed a piece of his dragon inside my magic and Taurin, a piece of his glacier. Oldavai attempted to place his lust in me, but I ripped it out as brutally as I could and that placed him, and me, in Shorn's hands.

Ezra shook his head. Whether in disbelief or exasperation I wasn't sure. The dragon he was snaked through me spiritually and its every sigh and movement a language I couldn't decipher. My own dragon nuzzled up to that ghost. The demon next to me stared with his flaming eyes trying to convey to me something without words.

I determinedly turned my head and rolled over Taurin. "I need to go."

As I walked around the bed I was washed in heat and quickly slammed into a wall! My nose was buried in Ezra's glowing red chest and my hands were already exploring the heated hardness of his abs. So, my initial thought of 'Holy crap, wall!' was quickly corrected. His body felt solid as granite and I used him to push myself away. Then, my gaze traveled up his torso and scanned over his partly stretched wings. My right foot twitched as his tail wrapped tightly around its ankle. One hand quickly encircled the back of my neck while the other dug harshly into my chin, demanding that I look at him. I had no choice but to grant his wish and I stood, immobile, snared in his galaxy gaze. Heat waves wafted our hair in a halo around us and I could not move. I tried to maintain my indifference over the ugly truth of Iloum and the reason for Ezra's intense displeasure.

"Eshera, Iloum does not sleep merely because it is day. Do what you think you have to do, but do it quickly before I do it for you."

He bent his head and forcefully kissed me, nipping my lips with sharp teeth. His magical hold over me shattered and I returned his fervor with my own, feeling desperate and unable to hide my feelings anymore. My hands framed his face, fingers dancing over its sharp bone structure. Clawed hands dug into the back of my skull pulling me closer, molding me into the hollows of his body. I arched up on my tiptoes taking pleasure with the intimacy, rubbing myself on him. The dark red burning of his wings closed around us.

"It's been so long," I whispered into his mouth.

"All things have their time and place," he said just as quietly.

CHAPTER 14

I walked the streets of Sacramento, heading towards the river. Unexpectedly, I came across a bald headed man swathed in gray sitting cross-legged on a wooden bench. His almond shaped eyes opened as I passed. I paused mid step and turned to him, somehow compelled.

Eyes crinkling in the corners, he gave me a smile of such pure joy that I had to smile back. He patted the open spot on the bench next to him and I complied with the gesture. He immediately went back to sitting with his hands resting on his knees in a familiar meditation position, eyes closed again. I stared, confused, and waited for him to tell me what he wanted. That lasted three minutes.

"Demons are everywhere. Many do not realize that we carry them within us. We are always looking to place their motivations on people, things or circumstances. Then we do not have to acknowledge that we invited the demon to look out through our eyes." My eyes closed as I listened, patient with the next pause.

"All of this is the passing of a cherry blossom after a storm. One may look at it and say, 'How sad, they are all gone', but another may say, 'How beautiful, my path is littered with flowers, like a bride on her wedding day. Something wonderful is beginning.' One must be vigilant with their thoughts." The sound of his breath was barely discernible as he paused again.

"Greed, ignorance and anger tether us to this world, but there is more... and less... than what we experience on this earthly realm. While you are here, remember, man's greatest wealth is confidence." He paused again.

I waited, breathing deep and feeling a peace that I haven't had since a teenager living with my mom. When the length went longer than usual I opened my eyes to find that I sat on the bench alone. I stayed there, contemplating.

It was late afternoon and the sun warmed my skin as I continued sitting. Eventually I noticed an uncanny silence filling the air, a lack of presence from any living animal. Anticipation settled in my gut and I caged my mind to keep Taurin and Ezra out of my most intimate thoughts. It felt like the calm before the storm. It was.

As if I called it, gray clouds bulged and collided until they crowded the sky. Thunder boomed and my vision went from light to dark as the sky blackened above me. There was little warning as a downpour abruptly drenched me. I shivered from cold water dripping down my face, soaking my cotton shirt in seconds. Without a thought I grasped the hilt of my sword as it tore out of my wrist and followed it through with an exaggerated slash through the rain drops. Lightning lit up the sky and I looked up to watch it splinter into a dozen grounding arcs.

akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers
12