Demons' Home Ch. 16-19

Story Info
What to do in your down time.
8.5k words
4.89
2.6k
3
0

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers

CHAPTER 16

I was on review and advised that I did not have permission to execute any warrants. Instead, requests from the media poured in. This was unexpected, but what surprised me even more was the emotion coming from Ezra. It wasn't extreme by any means, but it was for Ezra. Regardless of the lack of healthy sleep, every morning I had the opportunity to smile because of Ezra's joy. I'm sure otherwise I would have been a grouch. Sometimes I woke up from a nightmare thinking that my heart would stop beating. Other times it was my own scream that made me wake. This was not the way to feel refreshed and ready to start a new day. I was thankful for Ezra in a way I had never been before.

He personally talked to each reporter to find out their exact angle for the interview. His decision was already made though. I never thought to ask him if he had favorite reporters from all those magazines he read, he did. He already set up the deal and all the particulars before he approached me. I just laughed and laughed when he told me what was going to happen before I even agreed. We were going to Chicago. Taurin, of course, was going with us since he rarely missed the opportunity to piss off more people.

The morning was brisk as we appeared just outside the building. There was a crowd on the street that immediately started calling our names. I blinked as my gaze slid over t-shirts that declared love for Oldavai. I was so astonished at their naiveté I was speechless. My gaze then turned to a small number of protesters grouped across the street. The age old slogans on cardboard stating the wrath of God, sinners beware and the like bobbed in their tight grips. Their voices were just as loud as the demon enthusiasts, but nothing I hadn't encountered before. Neither demons or their hunters are a loved society among the religious fanatics.

Ezra's quiet laugh in my ear sounded scornful. Taurin beamed and immediately weaved into the adoring crowd. I stayed tuned to Taurin's teasing voice as Ezra and I made our way silently through the reaching hands and pushing bodies. I felt a small hand thrust a piece of paper in mine, but when I turned to look I caught only a glimpse of a child weaving through the crowd. I tucked the paper into the top of my boot and resolved to deal with one event at a time.

Windows lined most of the walls and the hustle of the first floor offices could be seen from outside. A woman as tall as my companion opened the door and ushered us inside. Brown wisps falling out of her braid matched soft brown eyes regarding us in sincere apology.

"We are so sorry. We had no idea there would be such a following with the demon society when this interview was leaked out."

"Is there a similar reaction to other interviews?" I asked.

"Well... Usually we don't leak out who and when our interviews are for this reason. Unfortunately, the consensus was that it wouldn't happen with you and it would be good publicity. Especially with all the news already published about Oldavai." She ducked her head abashedly.

Ezra and I both stilled in astonishment.

She regarded us in embarrassment, "Did I say something wrong?"

I laughed, not like it was funny though.

"You are Sable Valentine?" Ezra's voice was no nonsense, haughty even.

"Yes. You're Ezra?"

"I am. This is Dove Hawthorne. Your company's assumption of our society is typical. Did you assume the same, Sable?"

There was no way she couldn't feel hidden meaning in Ezra's question. She was one of his favorite reporters and I knew he had high expectations of her. If she didn't give the answer he wanted to hear I could sense he'd have no problem making his pique known. The weight of his hands on my shoulders felt heavier. I turned around quick and only the flash of fire in his eyes betrayed shock at my unplanned motion. I slammed my body into his and kissed him as passionately as I could to get his focus. His full attention wouldn't be on me, but I knew I'd get some. The shutter of a camera went off in the relative silence of the room. His arms wrapped around me at the same time Sable answered.

"No. I know my audience and warned the editors. At best, this," she gestured out the window and shook her head, "at worst, attacks from fanatics putting you in danger."

Ezra smiled on my lips and I felt his body relax. My ears registered the quiet attention of the workers around us. Most probably had no idea what a pissed off demon was capable of. Subtlety is not a word commonly used for them. Although Ezra was usually an exception. I guess not today.

The hum of his magic vibrated in me and the small dragon's wings inside me flared out at the same time Ezra's did. The camouflage of his clothes made room for them as he flexed them closer to himself. His eyes were dark walls of reflected flames and they stayed fixed on my own. Everything else human looking stayed in place. I narrowed my eyes at him and quirked my lips in agitation.

'You're playing with them.'

'Yes.'

'Well your wings definitely look the part of a typical biblical demon. Where's the tail?' I provoked.

Ezra only smiled as another voice entered our thoughts, 'Are we playing games?'

I peaked around the his wings to see Taurin strut into the office. He was looking his professional best and showing off. An icy breeze entered with him and fluttered papers off of desks. His eyes were completely glacier blue and were riveted on the woman with us. The heavy hush of the office lightened from his smiling, playboy countenance. I turned my body to follow his swagger past us and watched as he brought Sable's fingers to his lips.

"You must be Ms. Valentine."

"Mrs, actually." She deftly pulled her hand out of his grasp and gave him a tight lipped smile. Her right hand pulled a necklace out from her white shirt to promptly display a gold ring and cross. The sounds of a photographer working continued to carry in the air.

"A challenge," was Taurin's reply.

My agitation was aimed at Taurin this time, "Mrs. Valentine, may we begin."

I got the authentic smile, "Call me Sable."

Taurin opened his mouth, but she interrupted him before he could speak, "Not you."

He smiled even wider, "As you wish."

Her look of irritation almost matched mine as she turned around and guided us to an open room in back. She distractedly waved to the photography set up on the left, "We'll finish with pictures last." She turned her head slightly, "I'm too impatient to wait."

I arched my eyebrow and directed my thoughts to Ezra, 'We're getting our pictures taken? Is that why you insisted I wear this dress.' I felt the drape of the red material on my leg as I kicked out with my combat boots. Those, I insisted on.

He caught my hand mid swing, but kept his eyes forward as he said, 'I like it on you.'

We reached a set of comfortable looking chairs where Sable directed us to sit. Taurin entered into the conversation while leering at me, 'I like the dress too. Those knives strapped to your thighs invite me put my hands under your skirt to disarm you. That has to be the reason you wear them.'

Old habits die hard I thought, instead I said out loud, "God, Taurin, you're such a pain in the ass!"

Taurin laughed and Sable looked at us in confusion, "I think I know where to start. Do you read each others minds?"

I eyed Ezra.

Ezra looked down at me and then at Taurin, 'I will monitor what you and Taurin say.'

Taurin rolled his eyes and directed his gaze to the reporter.

I responded, "Yes, we can. When we choose."

'Or if we're untrained and don't know how to keep our thoughts to our self,' came Taurin's smug reply to me.

"Excuse me," I said to Sable while I turned to Taurin and slugged him on the forearm. The sounds of a camera went off from our left.

Sable's eyes widened, "I can deduce that I'm only hearing half of this conversation. So, what kind of trouble are you going to get in for giving an interview without the Affairs Offices' approval?"

"I'm in so deep right now, I'm not sure how much it's going to matter."

She talked to each of us in depth, yet there was so much we weren't willing to tell her that I wondered about her ability to write a good interview. When we discussed Iloum I omitted details and redirected the conversation as I chose. I talked about the warrant and made up a story about my personal decision to kill.

When we talked about Oldavai I choked up and Ezra ran a hand down my hair. Her own conclusion that I must have the well-known Incubus disorder made me satisfied with her logical jumps towards my decision to kill instead of police Iloum.

"Oldavai wounded you emotionally despite your successful trap and subdue warrant, but I heard from my sources in the Sacramento Affairs' Office that you and he kissed. In fact I have pictures and videos from the my source to confirm it." She pulled out pictures from a file next to her chair.

The three of us grew still as we all regarded the photos. I flipped through them in shock, I looked half mad, deranged, especially the ones where I was waving a decapitated head around. The temperature in the room dropped when we came across pictures of Oldavai and I kissing.

"I will pull all that golden hair out of his head one day," Taurin said flatly.

Sable continued with a professional demeanor, appearing unruffled with the conversation and magic as she had since introducing herself to us. "What is it about Oldavai that makes all of you so angry? The temperature literally changes from your disapproval. The rumors are that you are all sexual with one another."

I couldn't take my eyes off the pictures. They were almost obscene, especially with me looking like a sweaty, bloody, glittering lunatic. If we didn't have any clothes on I would have said it could have been in a fetish magazine. My tongue finally unstuck from the roof of my mouth and I swallowed. I answered, completely ignoring her comment about our living arrangements.

"Oldavai is half incubus."

"Mrs. Valentine, you are informed about incubi," came Ezra's reply right on top of mine.

"I am."

Taurin plucked the most risque picture out of my hand and shoved it in his shirt pocket. The room quickly warmed up. "She did give him a lovely parting gift," he said, speaking of my knee to his balls.

"I have copies," Sable directed at him.

He gave her a polite smile, "Then you won't mind if I keep this."

"That is my prop-"

Ezra interrupted her. "You have copies. As for an incubi you cannot come close to understanding what it is Taurin and I feel about this situation, but you can attempt. Imagine your husband at the other end of a kiss like that with a succubi and knowing that there is nothing, absolutely nothing you can do to stop him from going to her or her coming for him."

"Incubi and succubi have a pattern of leaving their prey. In fact, the statistics show that 75% of victims commit suicide within a year of abandonment." She directed her demanding gaze to me, "If you live past that year your survival rate is better, unless they come back. Data shows only one that has ever come back. Why would Oldavai come back for you?"

A chilling wind shot fast around the bottom of our feet and Ezra whipped his head back and laughed loudly. My brain quickly listed all the reasons I would and wouldn't tell her. Revenge, unfinished magic, territory marking, showing demonic dominance and, most of all, pride. Taurin was the first to speak his answer though.

He arrogantly cocked his head at me and spoke around his condescending smile. "Once you know Dove why wouldn't you come back?"

I regarded him even as I talked to the reporter. "Oldavai's a demon too. No one can accurately determine what drives a demon." I slowly unwound myself from Taurin's icy gaze.

Sable looked at Ezra next, waiting for his answer, but he said nothing. Appearing unfazed, the interviewer directed her gaze back to me. "Why didn't you kill him?"

"It wasn't on the warrant and I was law abiding at the time."

"Will you kill him now?" She asked all of us as she took the other pictures that I reluctantly handed over even knowing they were already spread wide before the public.

I crossed my arms and gave her a hard stare. I wanted to say 'yes', I wanted to say 'yes' so bad that when the word got to the inside of my lips hot tears sprang to my eyes. I stood abruptly and turned away to look at the room behind us. The camera continued snapping. My hand dropped to Ezra's shoulder and Taurin stood to place himself in front of my face. His gentle touch guiding my chin up to look at him almost undid me more. His changing demeanor from disdain to concern had me shaking my head at him in confusion.

Heat wafted off Ezra as he replied for me, "If Dove wants him dead, he will be dead."

"As badly as the A.O. wants him alive they will not take kindly to it, especially after the Iloum incident. Will you kill him?"

"Taking kindly to anything is not their objective," muttered Turin.

"It is irrelevant who kills him," Ezra replied on top of Taurin's voice.

Wisely she let the subject drop, "Your fan base is obsessed with Oldavai. They want to meet him. They want to meet all of you."

Against my better judgement I angled my face into Taurin's touch and kissed his palm before I turned around. "Fan base? Us? I doubt it. Oldavai? Yes. He's an incubus, their most erotic nightmare. Do you want to meet him?"

Sable's eyes practically glowed, giving contrast to her even tone, "Yes. I was hoping he would be with you."

Taurin snorted, "I'll bet."

Her tone grew sharp. "It's professional."

I laughed and walked closer, leaning into her personal space, my hair framing our faces. "The problem with reporters is that they jump right into the fire. Your story would never be professional with Oldavai. He'd make it personal." I straightened up at her offended look and sat back in my chair.

Oldavai was the last part of the interview and what she wanted to know the most. He happened to be the one demon all of us were reluctant to talk about in detail.

"Mrs. Valentine, please write this into your interview."

Sable stopped her movements from turning off the tape recorder and looked at Ezra.

"It is a present for Dove." He turned to me and caressed behind my ear. I felt delight and curiosity light up my face.

"Centuries ago demons attempted to eradicate our hunters, but not because they hunted us with single minded determination." He gave me a contemplative look and then turned his attention to an enrapt Sable. "It was because we desired to be in their presence too much. Hunters hold a piece of demon that we are unable to acquire. It is alive as long as they are alive and it vanishes when we kill them. The successful start of our undertaking caused a..." He paused, seeming to go into memories, "disharmony with demons. The solution was to destroy all knowledge of their magic. We burned their tomes, killed their history keepers and eliminated as much of the adult population as we could. Now, the wiser we are, the easier it is for us to prowl hunter territory without either of our kind killing the other."

"You don't eliminate them because you want that part of demon DNA to remain. Are hunters demons then?"

"No."

"How do you know this?"

"I was part of the eradication era."

"Oh." Sable took a deep calming breath and continued, leaving details unasked. "If I announce this then fanatics will increase their unlawful murdering on your entire society. The likelihood is the public will believe hunters are demons regardless of what I print. No one will be safe. You're obvious willing to take the blame."

Ezra cocked his head down and looked at her steadily. "You are aware that our society is already in upheaval. I had the pleasure of reading your article about it." He smiled blandly, "Think of it as a reason for demons and hunters to rally together if such happens."

Sable she shook her head and continued, "Demons still search out and kill demon hunters."

"Yes," Taurin said with a grin in response to her frown. "Young ones who don't know any better or other demons who have," he shrugged, "lost their way."

I cleared my throat and silently chided him, 'I believe you lost your way at one point.'

Taurin gave a cocky smile, "Like I did." He placed his fingertips on his heart, "But, I've halted my killing spree because of you, my love." He batted his eyelashes at me and I gave him a simpering look.

Sable's tone was just as dry as my glare. "As I said earlier in our interview, Taurin, I reported about your terror on demon hunters. Somehow your reasons for stopping don't add up." She waved away his look of mock affront and looked at Ezra, "Are you the oldest demon?"

Ezra made a serpentine movement with his head and shrugged.

Unfazed she asked, "Are you the first demon ever?"

I could feel Ezra's aura start to grow even as he remained completely still. The question was something he didn't want to answer, maybe not even think about. His thoughts turned dragon and I heard the escalating beating of a heart through him, the taste of sweat on my tongue. He was listening and tasting prey. I studied Sable, praying she didn't do anything rash. It was the first time since we started this interview that she was frightened. Ezra had become other than demon. The knowledge she retained had finally come to its practicum, his other half was peeking through. As for Ezra, how do you get rid of a pest, obviously you eat it.

The little red dragon inside of me twirled and whistled a song that prompted Ezra to look lazily at me. I felt secure with launching myself at the predator dragon turned man. I didn't believe he'd kill the little dragon that lived inside of me; therefore, he wouldn't kill me. He caught me and nuzzled his nose behind my ear, breathing in my scent. In my mind I saw a flash of dragon features.

'I can't believe that you always let me distract you with affection!' I said to him as he purred into my neck with contentment.

"Interview is over," I told the reporter out loud.

Almost simultaneously Ezra and Sable said, "Pictures."

I sighed, Ezra chuckled, and Taurin asked, "Do we get naked?"

CHAPTER 17

The photographer had magic that pulled emotions out of his subjects. The three of us voiced objections in our varied ways and put a stop to it. Regardless, the pictures used in the magazine seemed filled with them. I knew this because the published magazine was delivered to me and the three of us were the cover photo.

Ezra was to my right and if you angled the picture the faintest shadow of his wings framed him. His face seemed cold and arrogant to me, even with its slight hint of a devious smile. Taurin was walking up behind me on my left. His smile was all cockiness and his arctic wind was blowing not only his hair, but my own brown tresses too. Ezra was the calm inside Taurin's storm.

I remembered the time of that shoot. A worker maligned them and they flexed their power. I had a dagger in my left hand and was a quarter of the way turned towards Taurin. He was always the unpredictable factor to me. I knew Ezra was staying by my side by the curling of his visible tail around my calf. The photo shoot ended shortly thereafter. The demons at my side had wanted to entertain themselves.

Frost lined the windows. The photographer's camera stopped working. Papers caught on fire. Taurin started to sweet talk females. I'm sure Sable breathed a sigh of relief when we left the building. Albeit, Ezra just abruptly grabbed me and we disappeared. My own sigh of relief was due to the fact that Taurin followed us.

For the weeks before the publication of the magazine I looked over the piece of paper the child gave me. It was an elegant script for all that it was ordering me to appear before a man I hadn't spoken to for over five years. I was 19 when my mother was murdered and the authorities shuffled me off to demon hunting training in Chicago just before I turned twenty. MacKenzie was an excellent instructor with a horrible bedside manner. Maybe it was a way to keep his apprentices on their toes or maybe it was the fact that he was close to a hundred years old.

akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers